• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Australia's Version Of NS?

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
ausarmy.jpg

As has been widely discussed on a "particular" Singapore forum, one of the considerations faced by those of us who decide to become Singapore permanent residents, is the fact that we are agreeing to our children serving compulsory National Service when they "come of age".

This in my mind, is probably the major factor in the decision-making process. However, it is still our choice whether to become a PR or not. The SG Government are very forthcoming and transparent when it comes to this requirement. It is outlined quite clearly throughout the application process.

As is well known, NS is not a "choice" for male Singapore citizens. It could well be a choice for some Australian criminals in the latest plans put forward by senior police.

People convicted of serious assault would be offered two years' army service instead of a jail sentence under a radical plan.

The proposal is being floated by senior police in Victoria, and will be put to Defence Department officials, lawyers and the Justice Department.

It is backed by victims of assaults and their families, who say it's time to tackle the the state's violence head-on.

[CONTINUE READING]

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least in the Aussie version, they will be receiving full army pay.

...and they still get to make the choice... my biggest concern, is that known violent criminals will be given access to deadly weapons. To me, this must surely mean trouble. :eek:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
...and they still get to make the choice... my biggest concern, is that known violent criminals will be given access to deadly weapons. To me, this must surely mean trouble. :eek:

The first immigrants to Oz were criminals anyway. If they could reform, I don't see why others can't. You've got to give others a second chance.:wink:

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMxTcRs3KDU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nMxTcRs3KDU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

it become like this???

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal

I believe that the Australian govt will be more judicious than offer an army stint to any criminal.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal

PM Elect John Key's National Party taking over as Govt is thinking of starting an army style BOOT CAMP to discipline recalcitrant Teen Crims. All the discipline of military training BUT without the training of firearms. :smile:

Under law and order, National would initiate an "army-style boot camp" for young offenders and introduce 600 new police staff, half of which would go to Auckland.

"We are seeing an increase in violent crime, youth crime is on the increase, we are going to take a broader range approach to solving law and order," he said.

The corrections boot camps would also include mentoring programmes for offenders once they are back in the community.

http://www.hbtoday.co.nz/localnews/...localnews&thesubsection=&thesecondsubsection=

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
one more reason you better watch out as your sons going to kill you for making them serve NS.

You can't stop NS la, you need to 'psycho' that Lau Lee to ask him announce to the public that 'NS will be officially abolish in effect on xx/xx/xxxx' :biggrin:

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
You can't stop NS la, you need to 'psycho' that Lau Lee to ask him announce to the public that 'NS will be officially abolish in effect on xx/xx/xxxx' :biggrin:

LKY cannot abolish NS as it was implemented to camouflage UNEMPLOYMENT figures. Unless S'porean youths are willing to accept the low paying jobs currently being done by foreign workers, S'pore youths not absorbed into NS if it were abolished on xx/xx/xxxx would be sitting at home unemployed for a long time.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
LKY cannot abolish NS as it was implemented to camouflage UNEMPLOYMENT figures. Unless S'porean youths are willing to accept the low paying jobs currently being done by foreign workers, S'pore youths not absorbed into NS if it were abolished on xx/xx/xxxx would be sitting at home unemployed for a long time.

You never know, our Lao Lee can do alot of 'magic', whenever he said something, everyone believes, agrees and follows :biggrin:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
ausarmy.jpg

This in my mind, is probably the major factor in the decision-making process. However, it is still our choice whether to become a PR or not. The SG Government are very forthcoming and transparent when it comes to this requirement. It is outlined quite clearly throughout the application process.

Singapore was started and grew up as an entrepot and has had a long tradition of housing expats. The issue of NS impacting expats' children has been there the moment NS was promulgated.

The US Embassy has long provided extensive and detailed advice to its countrymen on NS obligations. They go a little further as well by suggesting avenue and routes while having their cake which no other embassy / high commision does. The Canadians do benefit as well as the American Club offers the same admission privileges to the Canadians (vastly from other nationalities who want to join the club ) thus they are in the same info loop.

Suggest you hook up with canadian/american families if you want to know more but the moment they find out that your spouse is local, that info will dry up real quick.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal

After they have been properly disciplined and reformed, they will become a positive force.

Aussie Pete

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore was started and grew up as an entrepot and has had a long tradition of housing expats. The issue of NS impacting expats' children has been there the moment NS was promulgated.

The US Embassy has long provided extensive and detailed advice to its countrymen on NS obligations. They go a little further as well by suggesting avenue and routes while having their cake which no other embassy / high commision does. The Canadians do benefit as well as the American Club offers the same admission privileges to the Canadians (vastly from other nationalities who want to join the club ) thus they are in the same info loop.

Suggest you hook up with canadian/american families if you want to know more but the moment they find out that your spouse is local, that info will dry up real quick.

Hi mate - just for the record - my wife's not local. We were married many years ago in Shanghai, lived in Australia together and then we moved to Singapore a couple of years ago (she had never even visited here before that). :smile:

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi mate - just for the record - my wife's not local. We were married many years ago in Shanghai, lived in Australia together and then we moved to Singapore a couple of years ago (she had never even visited here before that). :smile:

Then your wife should know 'good men won't become soldiers' (好儿不当兵).

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal

It'd depend on what type of criminals would they offer this. If they are people who have truly repented and have signed an agreement that allows the government's police departments to regulate them and punish them if the terms are violated, then I'd say its worth having a shot at this.

Obviously hardcore criminals would never take up such an offer, hence I think the Federal and state governments should already know that a filtering system should be in place before anything is passed by means of legislation through the state government or by the Commonwealth in Canberra.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NS is the place where they turn normal people into wimps due to the pent up anger and frustrations they built up during the 2.5 years in SAF.

Those who never did NS will not display such a trait.

bud of course! how cud i disagree? :rolleyes:
den gahmen shud hire CONTRACTORS 2 defend sinkapore right??? :rolleyes::biggrin::rolleyes: