• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Are we too groovy for you?

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://divaasia.com/article/4469

4469.jpg

Wed, Jul 22, 2009
my paper

Are we too groovy for you?
by Ana Ow

I WOULD be the first to admit that I’m rather old-fashioned when it comes to love and romance.

In my world, guys are gentlemen who ask for the first dance (yes, there is dancing involved).

They propose on bended knee, are handy about the house and can fix a leaky tap or a creaky hinge.

I am a Hallmark-card, Emily Dickinson-poetry, Meg Ryan movie-type romantic through and through. I love diamonds and I like them even more when they’re from my man.

Some may then wonder why my first choice of a life partner was D, who’s 11 years younger and is just starting his journey into adulthood.

He can’t afford the diamonds and, some would claim, isn’t old enough to be counted as a proper “man” – a guy who’s got a steady career (and a bank account to match), and who’s had enough relationship experience so he knows how to “handle” a woman.

Instead, I’m the one who takes care of most things – including his material needs – rather than the other way around.

Surely, I am often told, this is altogether a shockingly alternative relationship that supposedly demure, conservative me would be rankled by.

Funnily, I’m not.

Now, there’ve been tonnes of speculation from strangers and family alike about my marital motives, with most unable to accept that ours is a relationship built on connection and love, above other factors such as age, money and how a guy should “be”.

But, you see, D has given me so much more than what I initially thought I wanted in a husband.

When D and I met, neither of us were looking for a partner.

Our story is simply that of two people meeting, then growing to love each other, and getting married and having a baby.

What could this be but an old-fashioned kind of love, if you disregard our age difference and the fact that I bring home the meatier cut of the bacon?

Thanks to those circumstances, D and I are often labelled “different”.

Not that it matters, because what is real for us is that we’re actually pretty ordinary and, like any other young couple, learning about life together.

And in marriage, D continues to show me, day after day, that he’s a willing and able partner in my version of love.

He’s a good husband and father. He supports me in our shared goals, and I constantly thank him for choosing me to be a part of his life.

In fact, I write this column as a tribute to him and our perfectly ordinary, imperfect life together.

Perhaps our ways are a little too groovy for other Singaporeans who can’t understand how life can work outside of their own set parameters.

But I’ll tell you something – having other people criticise and judge our relationship has in no way affected our self-worth or our love for each other. If anything, it has made our awareness and respect for each other stronger.

So, thanks, D, for being my faithful partner in life and learning. What’s love if it isn’t something challenging, something that helps to expand your horizons and open your mind?

And, to me, that is the most romantic thing of all.

For more my paper stories click here.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
They should archive this article. Then they will grimace in shame when they get a divorce years down the road.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
their difference in age is already very obvious now.. the first impression i get from that pic is a young man taking a pic with his youngish-looking mum..:eek:

Conan the Barbarian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, D will prosper and be more independent as time passes, whereas the writer will grow older and more insecure.

D will also be more and more attractive to women whereas the writer will be more and more focused on his family. D may be faithful and loving now, but as his sex drive increases, the writer goes into menopause.

D will succumb to temptations one day and finally, the writer is the last one to know.......:wink:

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Comment from DIVA reader:

Ok, OK, Ms Ana Ow. You are beginning to sound like a one-topic writer. Week after week we have to read about your 11-years younger hubby. Good for you. Is there something else you can write about? You need to justify your space here, as well as our time reading the paper. Let's move on. PLEASE.

jimmyfallon

Alfrescian
Loyal
This hag should really stop showing off his 11 yr younger husband like a trophy. Cant compare to those SPGs with angmo husbands LOLOL

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
20080911.105740_younger_hubby.jpg

Younger hubby? It's OK with me

I'M A big believer in the philosophy of age being just a number.

And, now, I'm learning exactly how true that is.

At age 32, I find myself blessed with the love of a 20-year-old man. He made his heartfelt vows to me in June before 70 people at our small wedding celebration.

There's more: come November, we are going to be first-time parents after having dated for just a year.

Date one year only, marry in June, baby coming out in Nov. SHOT GUN la!