• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Anyone with good biz ideas for Silicon Valley? I got office space there available.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friends in Stanford took my thesis results to a venture cap competition down in SV and just won some free office space down in Sunnyvale, CA, but I having serious doubts about starting a company under these economic conditions.

Anyone here interested in the office space? My friends are still checking out on whether they can transfer our rights over to another company, so nothing guaranteed yet, but if you're looking for opportunities and office space down in SV, here's a possible opening for you. PM me if you're interested to know more.

Cheers,
Trout

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Anyone with good biz ideas for Silicon Valley? I got office space there available

Bump up if there's folks that missed this.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Anyone with good biz ideas for Silicon Valley? I got office space there available

My friends in Stanford took my thesis results to a venture cap competition down in SV and just won some free office space down in Sunnyvale, CA, but I having serious doubts about starting a company under these economic conditions.

Anyone here interested in the office space? My friends are still checking out on whether they can transfer our rights over to another company, so nothing guaranteed yet, but if you're looking for opportunities and office space down in SV, here's a possible opening for you. PM me if you're interested to know more.

Cheers,
Trout
Congrats. You must be good, to compete and win there. Hopefully someone famous will come out of SBF, you being a vet on the forum.

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal

wow.... congrats. Care to brag abt your thesis? keen to hear abt your 'discovery'...... no need details, just some idea on how different and how did you manage to get it

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal

wow.... congrats. Care to brag abt your thesis? keen to hear abt your 'discovery'...... no need details, just some idea on how different and how did you manage to get it

Some idea I've been rattling about this on and off in this forum & the delphiforums, at least since 2001...

Basically, the gist is making materials which can change its properties in response to stimuli conditions, reversibly, dynamically & radically. Most of the material science, biotech & MEMs people would be familiar with this anyway. Nothing really novel, there's been plenty of papers published with similar findings in this area over the last 20 yrs. I was quite surprised my friends actually managed to win something in that HYSTA competition in SV, given that most of the other competitors were actual running startups, while my friends just had a concept I detailed to them over Skype.

Got free office space for a while, but not sure if want to really go ahead with the startup, given the lousy economic times, plus I need to gain a bit more project management in environmental remediation systems design/build/testing experience before I think I'll be experienced enough to go do that. Anyone interested in taking the office space? Still haven't heard from my friends whether the office space rights are transferrable or not, but I also hope to make a bit of spare change from this in event we decide not to start-up.

Cheers,
Trout

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal

great idea.. did you actually invented anything proprietary or just a methodology? There are already some materials that are already behaving this way...... so care to explain what is so unique abt yours?
Managed to file any IP? hmm... I thot in US, just need to tok big to them .... think big.... file patent and $$ will come rolling in..... dun really need to hv content .... :rolleyes:

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal

great idea.. did you actually invented anything proprietary or just a methodology? There are already some materials that are already behaving this way...... so care to explain what is so unique abt yours?
Managed to file any IP? hmm... I thot in US, just need to tok big to them .... think big.... file patent and $$ will come rolling in..... dun really need to hv content .... :rolleyes:

I have 2 main ideas in my portfolio, currently trade-secrets, no IP filed yet, but I know a bit of IP law so I know how to maneouver around, I've not revealed formulation to anyone even my thesis supervisory committee, but I currently have 5 research manuscripts (4 published - in ACS Journal of Industrial Chemistry & Engineering Research, Journal of Biomaterials, a Journal of Biomaterials Review Article, Journal of Membrane Science , 1 accepted - Journal of Protein Chromatography, coming out in April.) which demonstrate the possible applications with these membranes:

1. filtration membranes that change their pore size dynamically in response to a stimuli-condition - light, temperature, salinity, pH, electrical, magnetic fields or presence of a stimuli molecule. Possible applications in longer lasting filtration membranes, multi-component separation in 1 filtration stage (previously not possible), drug delivery, sensor apps. I can make the membranes change their pore size between a MF and UF regime (actually even down to NF)...so 100 times change in size of pores by varying stimuli-conditions.

2.affinity-responsive membranes that change their affinity in response to a stimuli-condition - again, light, temperature, salinity, pH, electrical, magnetic fields or presence of a stimuli molecule. An easy example is a film which is hydrophobic (water hating, like how a water droplet beads up on a lotus leaf) in one stimuli-condition, and extremely hydrophillic (water loving, like how a drop of water wets and spreads across a tissue paper) in another stimuli-condition. Possible applications in 'smart' fabrics (turns water-proof in thunderstorms to keep you dry, and turns washable in the washing machine), and ability to bind lots of a class of compounds (which are hydrophobic) in one instance and then release them in another instance by turning the material hydrophillic so it rejects all the compounds it has absorbed in sequence - this is where cleantech apps (cleaning up chemical spills) and purification & separation applications are also possible.

And some other century-old ideas which are non-patentable (ideas picked up while working & reading stuff up in NS actually, was fortunate to be in a position which allowed me to do that), but which you still need a lot of proprietary know-how to execute...like bacteriophage therapy-type biological control of invasive species.

Was talking to a bunch of guys last year about trying out my other ideas in an algae farm, but interest has evaporated since the oil prices have plunged. I'm interested in NUS's A/Prof Jeff P. Obbard's research in marine algae-culture though, his PhD student Probir Das has an interesting talk in mid-April about how to harvest algae cheaply, and I've been trying to squeeze his method out from him along with another lawyer from Lee & Lee.

Can check out his talk if you're interested: http://www.ese.nus.edu.sg/seminarSeries-15Aug08_ProbirDas.html

ashjaw

Alfrescian
Loyal

I'm very impressed with your ideas and find them very interesting indeed. Just wanna say that though the ideas are good, it will only bring in $$ if you are able to find it's applications in an industry that has great potential, not a dying one. So think hard, dun end up like some scientists with great inventions that have no commercial values. I believe your ideas are quite applicable in many areas, be innovative, GOOD LUCK!!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Was talking to a bunch of guys last year about trying out my other ideas in an algae farm, but interest has evaporated since the oil prices have plunged. I'm interested in NUS's A/Prof Jeff P. Obbard's research in marine algae-culture though, his PhD student Probir Das has an interesting talk in mid-April about how to harvest algae cheaply, and I've been trying to squeeze his method out from him along with another lawyer from Lee & Lee.

Can check out his talk if you're interested: http://www.ese.nus.edu.sg/seminarSeries-15Aug08_ProbirDas.html

you should seek out some VCs to make your dreams into reality.

take the plunge and try it out.

get some experience if it doesn't work out.

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers,
Trout

Is it free? If not, don't bother.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal

Is it free? If not, don't bother.

Three mths free rent, after that, full price, which is why I'm not really interested, unless I can secure a really nice angel investor before the my time limit to exercise the free rent rights expires (in 6 mths time).

Cheers,
Trout

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Three mths free rent, after that, full price, which is why I'm not really interested, unless I can secure a really nice angel investor before the my time limit to exercise the free rent rights expires (in 6 mths time).

Cheers,
Trout

Talk to Olivia Lum, Hyflux. She may be interested.

qwerty

Alfrescian
Loyal

Cheers,
Trout

sorry if i sound stupid....

does it includes shower facilities? go for long holiday if not takers lor...

maybe you should concentrate more on you ideas and products...
3 months rent free is really nothing.... 6-9 months then can consider taking the plunge

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal

Talk to Olivia Lum, Hyflux. She may be interested.

Have met her personally at an MP's house, and talked with a few of the senior mgt and their board about working for them way back in mid-2006 after I ORD, but eventually decided against it. Their CTO then kinda made me do a re-think about joining them after my talk with her. Think they were quite miffed about me pulling out after going through several rounds of talking with their senior staff as well.

Wanted to do grad school to further develop the membranes instead, looking back, seemed to have made a bad choice then, in retrospect, since my understudy in NS is working for them as a VP in one of their subsidiary companies after he ORD in mid-2007. Then again, he's an Oxon, and I'm not, so I'm not sure if I would have been given the same opportunities as he had.

Cheers,
Trout

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal

sorry if i sound stupid....

does it includes shower facilities? go for long holiday if not takers lor...

maybe you should concentrate more on you ideas and products...
3 months rent free is really nothing.... 6-9 months then can consider taking the plunge

you're right, which is why I'm asking if there's any other interested takers for the space. If there are people who have a gd biz plan that just requires 3 mths before you see ROI, and just really need a good locale to meet the interested customers and VC funders, by all means, contact me and take the place!

masgnoeL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Have met her personally at an MP's house, and talked with a few of the senior mgt and their board about working for them way back in mid-2006 after I ORD, but eventually decided against it. Their CTO then kinda made me do a re-think about joining them after my talk with her. Think they were quite miffed about me pulling out after going through several rounds of talking with their senior staff as well.

Wanted to do grad school to further develop the membranes instead, looking back, seemed to have made a bad choice then, in retrospect, since my understudy in NS is working for them as a VP in one of their subsidiary companies after he ORD in mid-2007. Then again, he's an Oxon, and I'm not, so I'm not sure if I would have been given the same opportunities as he had.

Cheers,
Trout

If you work for a corporate as a scientist, don't expect to be very rich in the end. At Silicon Valley, you become a founder and the world is your oyster or it can be your graveyard.

Trout

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you work for a corporate as a scientist, don't expect to be very rich in the end. At Silicon Valley, you become a founder and the world is your oyster or it can be your graveyard.

Actually the pay isn't bad, my understudy is paying off his LD alot faster than if he would be working elsewhere, if not, he would have jumped.