• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ang Moh Turn Peesai into Spare Part. PAPee Cheepskate Till Like This!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=452><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Published May 22, 2009
c.gif

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=452 colSpan=2>Lanes returning to Singapore full time: A*Star
Scientist couple will resign from Dundee university in August

By CHEN HUIFEN
<TABLE class=storyLinks border=0 cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=1 width=136 align=right><TBODY><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Email this article</TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Print article </TD></TR><TR class=font10><TD width=20 align=right> </TD><TD>Feedback</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
AFTER years of holding concurrent positions at A*Star and the University of Dundee in the UK, renowned cancer scientist David Lane and his wife, Birgit, have decided to commit fully to Singapore.

Prof Lane is A*Star's chief scientist. The co-discoverer of the tumour suppressor gene p53 plans to expand his lab and continue with translational research on p53 to bring findings 'closer to the clinic', said A*Star yesterday.
He also wants to promote interaction between life sciences researchers of the Biomedical Research Council (BMRC) and physical sciences researchers of the Science and Engineering Research Council.
At the same time, he will be able to mentor and train more PhD and post-doctorate students at his lab, and influence the next generation of Singapore scientists.
Part of the decision to choose Singapore over Dundee was the pace at which things can be accomplished here. Prof Lane said: 'I could see here that the relative opportunity was better, and that has to do with what has been set up here, and what was on offer here compared to there, in terms of facilities and research.
'For my project, I need so many things to be working together. I need a big zebrafish facility. I need very good protein chemistry and natural crystallography. I need the resources of ETC (Experimental Therapeutics Centre) in terms of small molecule libraries and I need them all to be responsive to me.'
<SCRIPT language=javascript> <!-- // Check for Mac. var strAgent; var blnMac; strAgent = navigator.userAgent; strAgent.indexOf('Mac') > 0 ? blnMac = true:blnMac = false; if (blnMac == true) { document.write('
'); } //--> </SCRIPT><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width=300 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=middle>
greenline.gif

adgrey.gif

<!-- AdSpace --><IFRAME height=250 marginHeight=0 src="http://ads.asia1.com.sg/html.ng/site=tbto&sec=btointhenews&cat1=bnews&cat2=btointhenewsart&size=300X250" frameBorder=0 width=300 marginWidth=0 scrolling=no bordercolor="#000000"><script language='JavaScript1.1' src='http://ads.asia1.com.sg/js.ng/Params.richmedia=yes&site=tbto&sec=btointhenews&cat1=bnews&cat2=btointhenewsart&size=300X250'></script><noscript> </noscript></IFRAME><!-- /AdSpace-->
greenline.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Prof Birgit Lane is executive director of the Institute of Medical Biology, which she helped set up in 2007. She plans to expand the IMB's research portfolio, which now centres around cancer, epithelial and stem cell biology.
'This is very exciting time for the new institute. We are recruiting excellent new colleagues to Singapore and IMB is becoming steadily stronger,' she said.
The Lanes relocated to Singapore in 2004 - he to head the Institute of Molecular and Cell Biology and she to lead the-then Centre of Molecular Medicine. But they started reducing their time in Singapore early last year, shuttling between Singapore and Scotland as they returned to the University of Dundee, from which they had been on sabbatical.
Last year, he shed his executive post at IMCB and subsequently stepped down as CEO of ETC and chairman of BMRC. The Lanes will resign from the University of Dundee in August.
Asked why they took such a roundabout way to reaffirm their preference for Singapore, they pointed out that they had been on sabbatical when they held their appointments here.
They had to fulfil their obligations to the University of Dundee, which included helping to set up the molecular medicine department there. Now that the division is in good hands, they are prepared to stay in Singapore for the next five years.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>