• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ang Moh Complains:''So we washy washy, scrub scrub" - Speak Good English Please!

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speak it properly

''So we washy washy, scrub scrub'. No wonder English language teachers have such a hard time reducing the use of poor English.'

MS MIRANDA ROWLANDS: 'Could someone please explain to me how the Government has a strong campaign called Speak Good English and then promotes such wishy-washy lyrics in its new song to teach children to wash their hands properly? The lyrics of the song include: 'So we washy washy, scrub scrub'. The campaign is then launched in a school called My First Skool. No wonder we English language teachers have such a hard time reducing the use of poor English. Teachers in England and Australia experimented with 'spell as it sounds' and 'close enough is good enough' techniques and soon found many university applicants did not even have basic English literacy skills. Do we really want this for Singapore's future?'

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
I also feel something is wrong with the education here, but it is also a social problem, what with the import of foreign cultures with slang and SMS / online messaging short cuts, current generations do have problems catching up on delivering proper English, both spoken and written wise.

Let's not forget the use of singlish, which is so addictive.