• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ang Moh 154th Reporter Kena Slammed HARD!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Bad Kimberly: So, who's prejudiced against whom?
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I NEARLY threw up my porridge this morning, when I read Wednesday's article, 'I was a foodcourt cleaner' by Ms Kimberly Spykerman. Why? She was so self-righteous to denounce Singaporeans (obviously she was not included) to be fine and law-attuned, and looking down on cleaners, without realising that, subconsciously, she fit the mould perfectly.
My question is: Why the big fuss over this 'table manners' subject only after the Prime Minister mentioned it categorically in his National Day Rally speech?
If Ms Spykerman is so concerned about people's table manners, she should be expounding her views not after the PM's speech, make it her cause or mission to get people to look into the issue seriously. All this 'working as a cleaner' stuff is only for show, just because the PM mentioned it. Is she not doing what she accuses everyone else of - that Singaporeans (much more so press people) respond only to directions from authority, be they in the form of a law, a fine or just a mention by the PM?
Second, who is looking down on whom? I don't think the public look down on cleaners. The way Ms Spykerman felt could just be her own conclusion based on her own prejudice. In the first place, what is there to crow about 'I was a foodcourt cleaner'? Was it a job she thought so lowly, no one in her right mind would want to try, unless she needs the money badly?
In conclusion, we hope for a press which is more spontaneous, to reflect more what people think and not just follow orders from the top, and stop belittling blue-collar workers subconsciously. Liew Yeng Chee

kuntakinte

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's the f88king problem at SPH behaving like No 1 newspaper in the world.....

The fact is that they are No 1 in Singapore because OLD F88K stifles the liberalization of free press, and The Shitty Times is the only English paper in Singapore.

But, f88k it, in the world, they are actually 154th and still behave like No 1 in the world.

It is about time The Shitty Times do some real f88king instead of masturbation !!

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
First of all Spykerman is not Ang Moh but a 2nd if not 3rd generation Singaporean Eurasian; not that it makes an difference around here.

Ms Liew would naturally throw up her porridge when reading such articles highlighting the ugly behavior of her breed as she would rather pretend the problem does not exist. This obviously offends her sensibilities even though it is 100% true. She would rather question the timing and intent of Spykerman rather than deal with the issues. Attack the messenger not the message.

The "big fuss" dear Ms Liew, is that table manners or lack of, which is a subset of the bigger picture concerning social graces and consideration for others, is not in sync with the nation's grand plans in becoming a increasingly polyglot society. The PM will not make it key point in his national day rally address if was just a trivial matter.

"I don't think the public look down on cleaners."

Really Ms Liew? Where were you when the Serangoon Gardens residents petitioned to have the 1,000 Bangala workers (cleaners and laborers) thrown out of their estate or prevented from residing? As you are probably aware the Bangala workers are the ones that you see cleaning up after Singaporeans around your estate. No one else wants to do the clean-up it seems.

Finally a word from YawningBread:

"Singaporeans think it perfectly natural to look abroad for a better life, but as the rising xenophobia here indicates, we are much less tolerant about others doing the same if they should choose Singapore as their adopted home.

The current controversy about the proposal to use a vacant school building in Serangoon Gardens as a dormitory for foreign workers is just the latest in the crescendo of complaints against "foreign talent".

We seem to think that we are unusually affected by immigration. From what I have seen when I travel, this just isn't so. Many cities are similarly net recipients of all sorts of people. In fact, European cities are sometimes far more polyglot than Singapore."

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Bad Kimberly: So, who's prejudiced against whom?
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I NEARLY threw up my porridge this morning, when I read Wednesday's article, 'I was a foodcourt cleaner' by Ms Kimberly Spykerman. Why? She was so self-righteous to denounce Singaporeans (obviously she was not included) to be fine and law-attuned, and looking down on cleaners, without realising that, subconsciously, she fit the mould perfectly.
My question is: Why the big fuss over this 'table manners' subject only after the Prime Minister mentioned it categorically in his National Day Rally speech?
If Ms Spykerman is so concerned about people's table manners, she should be expounding her views not after the PM's speech, make it her cause or mission to get people to look into the issue seriously. All this 'working as a cleaner' stuff is only for show, just because the PM mentioned it. Is she not doing what she accuses everyone else of - that Singaporeans (much more so press people) respond only to directions from authority, be they in the form of a law, a fine or just a mention by the PM?
Second, who is looking down on whom? I don't think the public look down on cleaners. The way Ms Spykerman felt could just be her own conclusion based on her own prejudice. In the first place, what is there to crow about 'I was a foodcourt cleaner'? Was it a job she thought so lowly, no one in her right mind would want to try, unless she needs the money badly?
In conclusion, we hope for a press which is more spontaneous, to reflect more what people think and not just follow orders from the top, and stop belittling blue-collar workers subconsciously. Liew Yeng Chee