• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Affordability of HDB flats - a young couple's story

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
:mad:<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>20510.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Affordability of HDB flats - a young couple's story
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to HDB's reply on Monday, 'How HDB keeps it affordable'.
From the points raised, I feel HDB has not adequately addressed the affordability concern.
My husband and I are a young couple still looking for our first matrimonial flat. We belong to the sandwich generation that exceed HDB's income ceiling for subsidised housing yet need an HDB flat in a mature estate to support elderly parents.

While it is true that cash over valuation (COV) is the excess amount over a flat's valuation that a buyer willingly pays for a resale flat in a free market, in current market conditions buyers who pay COV only when there are perceived merits in the flat beyond its valuation will be sidelined. In time-sensitive situations (such as a young couple getting married), buyers have little choice but to pay COV to outbid other bidders and secure their flat of choice. Market rationality becomes clouded, creating an upward price spiral.

Property agents' typical answer when asked to justify COV is that this is what the market is commanding now. Almost none can point out exceptional fundamentals of the flat not already taken into account in the valuation.

I have recently seen flats in need of renovation with a COV of $15,000. It was unbelievable that buyers were willing to pay this amount. And the sellers were happily sitting on the sidelines, waiting for an even better offer. As a young couple, we are priced out of the market by COVs at such levels, despite a combined household income in excess of $8,000.

Grace Ho (Ms)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>20510.2 in reply to 20510.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>This got nothing to do with COV being illegal. The poor girl failed to realize that the final transacted price (inclusive of COV) is nothing more than a function of Supply and Demand. With big increase of PRs, of course HDB resale price will go up...

2ecql4j.jpg

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Marboro Tan, may heaven forgive his wicked soul, does not care a hoot about peasants priced out of public housing.

His main aim is to create debt laden peasants who will toil to pay off their debts w/o challenging the regime.

That explains his high pay for his evil deeds.

May his ancestors roast for his sins.