• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Abraham Lincoln becomes gay in in the documentary 'Lover Of Men'

whistling

Stupidman
Loyal

Abraham Lincoln Shared Bed with a Man for 4 Years, Fell Into 'Suicidal Depression' When He Left, Doc Says (Exclusive)​

"I am the most miserable man alive," the future president wrote after his friend (and alleged lover) Joshua Speed moved away, in the documentary 'Lover Of Men'

By Jeremy Helligar

Published on September 4, 2024 10:31AM EDT

Abraham Lincoln was, by most accounts, the greatest president the United States has ever had. He led the country through the Civil War and played a pivotal role in the emancipation of enslaved Black Americans. But through his professional and political triumphs, he is said to have suffered from crippling, lifelong depression.

It's a side of the great American president that history books don't typically dwell on, and the new documentary Lover of Men: The Untold History of Abraham Lincoln, which is in select theaters Sept. 6, takes a look at that and another aspect of Lincoln's life that often has gone overlooked: his sexuality.

The documentary covers Lincoln's relationships with several men over the years, most notably Joshua Speed, the co-owner of a general store with whom the future U.S. president shared lodgings — and a bed — for four years.

The film, directed by Shaun Peterson, features interviews with more than a dozen scholars and historians and offers letters and never-before-seen photos, while laying out the thesis that Lincoln was probably gay or at least bisexual.

Joshua Fry Speed

Joshua Speed.
UNIVERSAL HISTORY ARCHIVE/UNIVERSAL IMAGES GROUP VIA GETTY

PEOPLE has an exclusive clip from the documentary that looks at the critical date of Jan. 1, 1841, which Lincoln called "the fatal first."

It was the day Lincoln read in a local paper that Speed was selling his store. The documentary claims it was the first Lincoln had heard of Speed's business plans, and on that New Year's Day, Lincoln also learned that Speed would be moving out of the home (and bed) they shared and heading back to his birthplace of Kentucky to take over his mother's farm.

According to one expert in the doc, "Lincoln is devastated," while another calls the days and weeks and months that followed Speed's departure "the period of his darkest depression."

"Then Lincoln goes into a suicidal depression," the commentary continues. "They established a kind of suicide watch. His friends removed his razor kit and any other sharp objects, like a knife. And he wrote to his law partner that 'I am the most miserable man living.' "

Lover of Men: The Untold History of Abraham Lincoln Trailer Explores President's Sexuality (Exclusive)

Then Lincoln, via a voiceover, starts to read the letter to his law partner: "I am the most miserable man living. If what I am feeling were distributed to the whole human family, there would not be a cheerful face on the earth. That I shall ever be better, I cannot tell. I awfully forbode I shall not. Now, to remain as I am is impossible. I must die, or be better, it appears to me."

Speculation about Lincoln's sexuality has gained traction in recent years. Much of the attention has focused on Speed, and the fact that he and Lincoln slept in the same bed during the four years they were roommates in Springfield, Ill., from 1837 to 1841. At the time, Lincoln was an attorney in his late 20s to early 30s.

Lover of Men: The Untold History of Abraham Lincoln

Lover of Men: The Untold History of Abraham Lincoln.
COURTESY OF SPECIAL OCCASION

But did their close relationship just reflect another era with different social mores? In the early to mid 19th century, it wasn't unusual for men to sleep in the same bed out of convenience, and "gay" and "bisexual" as concepts and labels didn't exist yet.

The documentary has that covered. The synopsis reads, in part: "Lover of Men widens its lens into the history of human sexual fluidity and focuses on the profound differences between sexual mores of the 19th century and those we hold today."

Lincoln would go on to marry Mary Todd Lincoln in 1842 and have four sons with her, but he'd be plagued by bouts of depression throughout his life, even while he was in the White House during the Civil War, from 1861 to 1865. Those four years were the most challenging of his life.

Lover of Men makes the case that his "darkest depression" after losing Speed may not have been that far behind.

Lover of Men: The Untold History of Abraham Lincoln is in theaters Sept. 6. A portion of ticket sales will directly benefit The Human Rights Campaign when moviegoers use HRC’s custom ticket purchase link