• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A thread dedicated to Semi-Auto Coffee Machine

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
These days everywhere I go I see a Rancilio Coffee Machine on the bar top of modern coffee stalls, regardless of size of the stalls.

I understand these commercial coffee machines - semi-automatic, I emphasize - are quite expensive. The bottom line is about $10,000.

The question is: Why Rancilio ?

Does Rancilio brew a different coffee from say, Faema ?

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any coffee connoisseur around ?

all bros here drink this -

157900_68213273131_3016257_n.jpg

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These days everywhere I go I see a Rancilio Coffee Machine on the bar top of modern coffee stalls, regardless of size of the stalls.

I understand these commercial coffee machines - semi-automatic, I emphasize - are quite expensive. The bottom line is about $10,000.

The question is: Why Rancilio ?

Does Rancilio brew a different coffee from say, Faema ?

According to my Italian friend.
Some people consider Rancilio to be the Mercedes of the coffee machine.
It has a large boiler and can keep up with the demands of pulling shots in a cafe.
The build is also of better quality.

If the cafe has high staff turnover, I will use La Marzocco. Easy for new staff to make good expresso.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nah, this is the real thing:

the domestic model

ranciliosilvia1.jpg

The Rancilio Silvia V3 espresso machine is in a class all by itself. Whilst most manufacturers have a range of domestic and commercial machines, Rancilio is primarily a commercial coffee machine manufacturer. Rancilio only make one domestic coffee machine; the Silvia. All the expertise of building high quality commercial coffee machines has been compressed and built into a machine for the home that has a reputation for solid performance and reliability.

To our surprise, the New V3 EDITION has upgrades from the previous model that make this machine even more desirable!

It has a large brass boiler that allows for ample steam product, a solid brass 58mm group head for superior heat stability and an iron frame with stainless steel casing for long lasting durability. The portafilter comes with a commercial, ergonomically designed handle, as standard equipment.

Some other features of the Silvia include a built in cup warmer, hot water dispensing for hot chocolates, tea, and long espresso drinks. A newly designed multi directional steam wand makes milk frothing even easier, as you can use a variety of size and shape jugs.

The Silvia has a large water reservoir which is filled from the top of the machine so this can be done easily at any time for continual production of great shots.

A good grinder is as important as a good coffee machine and this factor is often overlooked. The Rancilio Rocky series grinders, available in either a doser or non-doser model, is an ideal choice, but slightly cheaper is the Gaggia MDF grinder that will also produce excellent results. A stainless steel base, Rancilio cups, ESE pod adapter are other accessories worth considering. Also, don’t overlook a good tamper!

There are also some safety features that are worth take into consideration. There is a thermostat for the boiler, another for the steam production, and a third thermostat that turns off the power to the boiler if there has been a mal function. This third thermostat can be reset anytime as it is really a circuit breaker style switch. It is located inside the machine so be prepared to remove some screws. There are videos on YouTube showing more details of this.

Also, the Silvia has a 3 way solenoid valve that releases pressure within the machine once the brew switch is switched off. This helps prevent scalding and dripping as well as letting the coffee puck remain drier for easier knocking out.

Coffeeitalia sells more coffee machines than most retailers throughout the world. This gives us a great advantage when it comes to comparing machines. If there is a problem model we soon learn about it. Likewise, an outstanding machine also becomes known to us very quickly.

The Rancilio Silvia is a machine we love to sell because it is beautifully made, solid and reliable, and with a good grinder, beans and practice, will give our customers coffee that is truly enjoyable and without compromise.

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
According to my Italian friend.
Some people consider Rancilio to be the Mercedes of the coffee machine.
It has a large boiler and can keep up with the demands of pulling shots in a cafe.
The build is also of better quality.

If the cafe has high staff turnover, I will use La Marzocco. Easy for new staff to make good expresso.

In that case I shall be looking for the Toyotas of coffee machines.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
No matter how expensive an espresso machine, it is the Barista's skill that can make or break it. The secret is really in the beans and the grind to get the perfect extraction time, not so much on the pressure.

On one hand I have a $100 Breville espresso, on the other, I have a $3000 Isomac.

And if I have a small audience to wow, I pull out my La Pavoni.

But for close friends, I always reserve my best grinds for the Breville :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
No matter how expensive an espresso machine, it is the Barista's skill that can make or break it. The secret is really in the beans and the grind to get the perfect extraction time, not so much on the pressure.

On one hand I have a $100 Breville espresso, on the other, I have a $3000 Isomac.

But for close friends, I always reserve my best grinds for the Breville :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

What is your message ? That you're an expert barista ? Or you own a La Pavoni ?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Well, if you have a good machine, you do not need a real barista.

Besides good beans (I use Five Senses), I also watch what milk to use for my cinos.

These days, I use Brown's Caffe or Bannister Downs milk. Domestic coffee machine uses the same basic pump made from only 2 companies worldwide. So, skills are needed to surf the milk to get good froth. The problem is the small boiler or *shocked* thermoblock - do not generate consistent hot water to soak the grounded beans and push through the powder short enough to get excellent coffee.

I like the ceramic grinder that seems to 'cut' the beans more naturally than a stainless steel grinder.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My point is, know your beans, understand you machine, grind accordingly...

Khun Ying Pojaman

Alfrescian
Loyal
My point is, know your beans, understand you machine, grind accordingly...

So do you happen to know anything about Rancilio, why Rancilio has always been the preferred SA coffee machine even though your emphasis seems to be on the skills of the barista and the beans used ?

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why do Sinkies want to pretend to be Westerners and drink Coffee?

They should stick to Tea, a domestic produce in China.

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To answer directly, no. I don't normally give the espresso machine much consideration when it comes to coffee quality, other than one brand looking prettier or gadgety than the other. But if your purpose is to set up shop and sell coffee, then guess the best looking one would do...as long as it is not fully automatic :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

But if you are looking at specs, a good manual espresso machine should come with a built-in boiler with a strong heating element (and a feed water reservoir that can be plumbed in from a purifier) that can sustain steam delivery and designed such that the element is not in direct contact with the water (easier to descale machine and prevent corrosion to element), this is the core consideration between domestic and commercial machines in that commercials are designed such that you don't have a fancy looking machine that takes 10min to serve each cup of coffee waiting for the pressure to build or after every round of frothing.

So if I were to consider buying a Racillio, it would be an important comparison to the another big player like la Cimbali.

So do you happen to know anything about Rancilio, why Rancilio has always been the preferred SA coffee machine even though your emphasis seems to be on the skills of the barista and the beans used ?

Last edited: