• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Paper Fit For Peasants

SNAblog

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://theladymelissa.blogspot.com/2009/03/paper-fit-for-peasants.html

Monday, March 23, 2009

A Paper Fit For Peasants

I have been busy and so distracted by my real life that I have not been able to come here to participate in inane conversations with morons. A very close friend of mine was a very close friend of Dr. Allan Ooi, the SAF scholar doctor who committed suicide, and comforting her day and night has left me emotionally drained as well.

Needless to say, readers of my blog must have seen his suicide note all over the internet. First of all, I must confirm that the SAF bond is, for all intents and purposes, is unbreakable. Do not ask me for details - if any of you have SAF scholar friends, you can ask them. That was also probably the main reason for Allan's suicide.

But that is not the point of this post. The point of this post is to express my utter disgust at the idiots who run especially The Straits Times, and all the SPH papers. A few days after the suicide, the Straits Times, OUR NATIONAL BROADSHEET, printed a full page article on PAGE THREE, speculating that Allan had committed suicide because he played too many computer games. Notwithstanding the fact that by then, a copy of the letter had already been emailed to them, that article was so utterly banal, puerile and noxiously unbelievable I doubt it would have even made it to The News of the World. Yet, it appeared on PAGE THREE of our NATIONAL BROADSHEET, who regularly awards prizes to itself for 'superb journalism'. Other papers like Sin Min, The New Paper etc also ran equally moronic articles, but at least they do not labour under the responsibility of being our nation's only broadsheet. As such, I do not hold them to equally high standards of journalistic ability, even if they do exhibit the same level of intellectual disability.

Every day, I am forced to read The Straits Time because it is my only source of local village news, except that sometimes, this local village news, which should really be buried somewhere in the Home section, somehow appears in Prime News. Like when Fandi Ahmad's wife fell down. Really now - prime news? In a national broadsheet? If David Beckham's wife Victoria fell down, even though they are true celebrities,it would hardly deserve a mention in The Guardian. But we do live in a village populated by peasants, and our national broadsheet surely is an authentic reflection of this.

Yet, many bright minds have gone overseas to the best global universities, and could have come back to join what is one of the most respected professions in the world, journalism. But that is precisely the problem. Journalists in Singapore, having for years having to bear the stigma of writing for a village witless newspaper, have become one of the most denigrated, laughed-at and even despised profession. As such, no self-respecting intellectual will ever aspire to join SPH. Thus, only third-rate minds join SPH, and continue to churn out third-rate dribble. Even SPH scholars are third-rate, often having been rejected by other scholarship boards, and the good ones break their (breakable) bonds way before they are up. And so, the vicious cycle continues.

The newspapers in Singapore are not worth the paper they are written on. Like any generalisation, it remains that. There are a few journalists I admire, like Janadas Devan (the son of our Singapore's third President Devan Nair), especially when he tore apart the parliamentary speech of that repulsive bigoted homophobe and religious fundamentalist, MP Thio Li-An.

By and large however, this incident has re-affirmed what I have known all along. The Straits Times is truly a paper fit for peasants.

---------------------------------------------
Updates at Singapore News Alternative:

1. Temasek's Fullerton backs hedge funds despite 11-12% loss in value
2. Spore eases law on political films
3. Why Obama's big spending, big tax regime will cripple US economy
4. KL waiting for Spore's report on West Ponggol incident
5. UBS retrenched 6 private bankers in Spore
6. GIC to make lower long-term returns
7. Spore bids to attract international sports events
8. Phillip Yeo to visit Calcutta for discussion on chemical hubs
9. TB up in Spore after 10 years
10. Spore's poorest hit hardest from rising inflation
11. Spore to pump-primed the economy by spending $1.2 bil on infrastructure in 2009
12. Spore inflation rate highest in 28 years
13. Spore Youth Olympics to build virtual world
14. Vietnamese students in NUS embark on fund raising project to build a kindergarten in Vietnam.
15. Jigawa students airlifted to Spore
16. Full recover in Spore could be six years away
17. Bangladesh PM's ailing husband leaves for Spore

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with the blogger that Straits Times is damn cock - but not for the same reason.

I think Straits Time should not have wasted space reporting on this ah gua loser.

He came from a rich family, got good education, good life, whine here, whine there, AWOL, commit suicide, big deal

There are many people in unfortunate circumstances but they FIGHT to survive, they go through great difficulty and adversity despite being dealt a poor hand at birth

Who is this ah gua. Little bit unhappy commit suicide.

No pity at all for this weakling, another ah gua graduate

Straits Times should write about fighters and people who take it on the chin and survive, not jiak liao bee ah siah kia who cannot take simple orders in the army

Die die lah, write so much cock for what

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
true, i always call journalist in sink city. scums of the universe, with self censor chip build inside their head.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the umpteenth time. Every bond is breakable. There are no if and buts. All that is required is money.

Those who have signed a scholarship bond after A levels without serving NS, there is a complication that not many understand. NS obligation usually is double after a bond is executed and this cannot be waived. Bear in mind, you are now a regular and drawing a regular's pay. This component has been there for decades. The same principle applies to those ordinary folks (non scholarship holders) who sign on as regulars without having served NS first, draw a regular salary and then change their mind.

Mindef is playing with words. They can screw you on the NS obligations only and that too can actually be tested in court.

Here is a tip - look for guys in private practice that previously served in Mindef Legal Dept.

Last edited:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why it is calles the 154th...and also the SHITTY TIMES, wonder why people buy it in the first place...ahh!...for linning their bird cages, & for their cannies to shit on it, (like me..)..

melzp

Alfrescian
Loyal
All journalists/editors hv UNWRITTEN RULE within ST, whether u
graduated fm Cam,Hrvd,Oxfrd, Stan,etc.
Who make that RULE.... RULERS, of course.

Royston46

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these journalists and writers at ST have already failed in their mission to pursue and report the truth of matters as it is to the masses...

They allowed themselves to be muffled by PAP, write about half truths about our government, etc etc...

They should all go back and reflect on themselves and all the lies they have written... They are cowardly in the face of political control over the truth...

I see that SPH still got very far to go, in order to match the western medias, those are the real fighters with pens, they will heck care and write as they will about their governments, unpopular policies, etc etc...

Here we have cowardly liars running the papers!

:oIo: :oIo: :oIo:

Royston46

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember how Singapore manage to struggle free of our colonial master's control back in the mid 19th century?

It is also thru the power of the media and the pens of fearless people who dare to go against the British government and write about the abuse of power and corruptions...

Apparently LKY and his cronies recognised the potential power of the media and how it will become a threat to their rule if left unchecked...

I just got to know an ex SPH staff, she told me they have a MDA personnel sitting inside their office just going thru all the articles that are to be published just to screen thru potential news that might compromise the government's position...

Shit Times is really a paper fit to clean windows, for dogs to shit on, etc etc... Never believe every word that is written inside, take it with a pinch of salt...

:biggrin:

takcheksian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Shit Times is really a paper fit to clean windows, for dogs to shit on, etc etc... Never believe every word that is written inside, take it with a pinch of salt...

:biggrin:

Shit Times is for Running Dogs to shit on.
It can't clean windows. Wait you use an article with civil service response on it, wipe already window become more blur.