• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A hobby that pays (Photography)

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090511-140728.html

Wed, May 13, 2009
The Straits Times

20090512.180742_dslrboys.jpg

A hobby that pays

By Lim Pow Hong

Brandon Chia,15, spends his weekends getting families to pose for photographs.

For a set of 20 photos burned onto a CD, he charges $75.

At a professional studio they would pay upwards of $300, so they are content to pay what he asks for.

And the Secondary 4 student from Marsiling Secondary School gets to earn a bit of cash, fund his pastime and practise photography. Everyone wins.

Cheaper camera equipment has made photography more accessible for cash-strapped teens and it has become more than just a hobby for some - usually because it helps to pay for that next lens.

And for many, photography is better described as a passion than a hobby. They dream of becoming photojournalists, documentary makers, art photographers.

Brandon, for instance, doesn't want to be taking family portraits forever - he wants to publish a book on wildlife photography.

In the old days, when one needed a dark room to process photos, it was not so easy. Now all you need is a digital camera and a computer. And a subject.

Mr Chris Yap, photographer and adjunct lecturer of photography at the School of Art, Design and Media at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), said: "Nine years ago, only one student in a class of 20 owned a DSLR (digital single-lens reflex), but now half of 20 students own one."

On point-and-shoot cameras, lenses cannot be changed, nor filters put on to create optical effects.

DSLRs allow a more accurate preview of framing close to the moment of exposure. They also let the user choose from a variety of interchangeable lenses.

Six years ago, the first budget DSLR, the Canon EOS 300D, sold for $1,999. These days, Sony's A200 and Nikon's D60 sell for slightly less than $1,000.

Mr Yap said that his students are interested in a wide range of photography. His tip for any budding photographer is to enjoy shooting.

But while prices are a lot more affordable, they can still run into the thousands for teen photographers who are serious about their hobbies.

Along with the camera body, they will need at least two types of lenses - wide-angle and telephoto - a UV filter, an extra flash and a camera bag to carry all the equipment around.

Brandon saved up for two years before he bought his first DSLR.

"My parents don't really encourage me to take up photography as they don't earn a lot. They want me to save up for future education."

He does it because he enjoys taking pictures of the wildlife in Sungei Buloh.

Ryan Chua, 18, who owns three cameras, one of which is a gift from his uncle, has spent up to $8,400 on his hobby.

His most expensive buy thus far is a $2,999 Sony 70-200 F2.8G, a precision zoom lens with bright aperture and fast, quiet auto-focus response, suitable for long distance sports and wildlife photography.

The Secondary 5 student at Holy Innocents' High School finances his hobby by taking photos at events such as his mother's company dinner-and-dance, for which he gets paid $100 an hour.

Brandon has his heart set on the Canon 100-400mm L lens, his dream lens.

"It may take me another seven months to save up enough from my daily allowance and freelance photography."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
dslrboys.jpg

From left to right: Brandon Chia, Damien Chng, Ian Ho and Ryan Chua
WHO: BRANDON CHIA, 15, SECONDARY 4, MARSILING SECONDARY SCHOOL

WHEN: A year ago. Began selling his services as a freelance portrait photographer six months ago.

HOW: His interest in wildlife fuelled the interest in photography. As a volunteer nature guide at Sungei Buloh Nature Reserve two years ago, he tagged along with an NParks mentor, who taught him how to capture different moments in nature.

WHAT: Primarily wildlife photography. "It's a challenge to take photos of birds, I'm still training my skills."

DREAM: "To publish a photography book on wildlife."

EQUIPMENT: Canon 450D DSLR. "I chose it because it was one of the cheapest." For birds and other wildlife, he uses the Canon 75-300mm USM and for bugs and spiders, he uses the Canon 50mm f1.8 with a Kenko 25mm extension tube.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHO: DAMIEN CHNG, 17, YEAR 1, SERANGOON JUNIOR COLLEGE

WHEN: As an aircraft spotter in Secondary 2. But moved on to sports photography when he became a competitive swimmer in Secondary 2.

HOW: Made a documentary series about how home was home, no matter what a mess it was. Result? "The house became tidier!" Currently working on photography projects on the perception of love as well as foreign workers in Singapore.

WHAT: "My main photography subjects would be people, and myself, for it is through the images of others that I express my own thoughts or opinions on an issue."

DREAM: Wants to be a documentary photographer.

EQUIPMENT: "Using the Canon 30D now because I can't afford a better one!" He also uses a Canon 17-40mm wide-angle lens.

WHO: IAN HO, 18, YEAR 2, VICTORIA JUNIOR COLLEGE

WHEN: Secondary 2 as part of the Art Elective Programme (AEP) but really picked it up only in October 2006.

HOW: Completed a photography exhibition, Wild Singapore, with two close friends. The week-long photography exhibition at Temasek Junior College was on wild landscape and nature photography.

WHAT: Landscape and nature photography.

DREAM: "I intend to do freelance photography during my spare time to earn some income and continue my interest."

EQUIPMENT: Two cameras, the Canon 400D and the Panasonic Lumix LX3, and favourite lens, Canon EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM.

"The 400D is the first and only SLR I have owned, and it is my most used camera. The LX3 is a phenomenal point-and-shoot camera with stunning image quality."

WHO: RYAN CHUA, 18, SECONDARY 5, HOLY INNOCENTS' HIGH SCHOOL

WHEN: Age seven, when he saw his father using the camera. Bought his first camera in March 2007 and started as a freelance photographer last November.

HOW: Started by reading books about photography to learn the basics.

WHAT: Likes taking candid shots. "I like expressive photography especially when I capture people's emotions."

DREAM: To be a wedding photographer or a photojournalist.

EQUIPMENT: "My main workhorses are the Sony A200 and A700. Both these cameras capture good contrast with their series of Sony and Konica Minolta lenses."