• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A heart attack at age 37? Influencer Ili Sulaiman shares her story

Houri

Stupidman
Loyal

A heart attack at age 37? Influencer Ili Sulaiman shares her story​

Theevya Ragu @ FMT Lifestyle
-02 Oct 2024, 07:00 AM

At a recent forum by IJN, experts cautioned that cardiovascular events are increasingly occurring among younger people.​

xNrBEl.md.jpg

Chef and TV host Ili Sulaiman suffered a heart attack early this year at age 37. (Ili Sulaiman Instagram pic)

People in their 30s tend to believe time is on their side, and the idea of a life-threatening disease seems distant. For Ili Sulaiman, however, life took a turn when she experienced a heart attack at age 37.

No longer just a disease of the elderly, heart attacks and other cardiovascular events are rising among Malaysians in their 30s and even younger. According to the National Health and Morbidity Survey 2023, 7.6 million adults in Malaysia have high cholesterol, and the number of cases in the 25-29 age group is surging.

Heart health experts, therefore, are sounding the alarm: it’s time to take this seriously. Such was the central message at a public-health forum hosted by Institut Jantung Negara (IJN) in Kuala Lumpur recently.

Held prior to World Heart Day on Sept 29, the event, 30s and Thriving: Prioritise Heart Health Early, was aimed at raising awareness about the often-overlooked risk of heart disease in young adults.

With a panel of experts discussing early prevention and lifestyle changes, the forum featured one of its most impactful testimonies from the young chef and influencer.

“ I thought I was quite an active and healthy person, Ili shared. But in January, after a New Year’s party, she began to feel unwell.

Like many young women, she brushed it off as exhaustion. I was tired, had a backache, a clenched jaw, and nausea, all at the same time, she recalled.

It was only when her husband took her blood pressure and saw a dangerously high reading that she realised something wasn’t right. She decided to sleep it off, but her symptoms only worsened the following morning.

“ I woke up with chest pain, but I still didn’t take it seriously, Ili added. If childbirth pain was a 10, this pain was only a 3.

It wasn’t until she reached the emergency room that the severity of the situation truly sank in. Within minutes, I was on a stretcher, and the doctor told me: ‘You can’t go home today. You just had a minor heart attack.’

According to senior consultant cardiologist Dr Ahmad Khairuddin, cardiovascular disease is the world’s biggest killer. We’re seeing a significant increase in high cholesterol levels, even in people as young as 25, he said during the forum.

Physiotherapist Sarjit Singh Johal and senior principal dietitian Foong Pui Hing emphasised that poor dietary habits and a sedentary lifestyle are driving forces behind the rise of heart conditions in Malaysians.

For Ili, the experience was a wake-up call. My body was sending me warning signs, like feeling tired all the time and even developing rashes on my face – but I ignored them.

Stress had built up over the years as she juggled between being a public figure and a new mother. Life got the better of me, she admitted. I wasn’t getting enough sleep, and I was having a lot of anxiety.

Now, she focuses on maintaining a balanced life. I’ve been given a second chance to live better.

Soberingly, Ili’s story is not unique. During her stay at the cardiology ward, she met three other women who were dealing with heart issues.

It’s definitely a growing issue among women, but the awareness isn’t there, Ili added. I almost didn’t go to the hospital. If not for my husband pushing me, I might not be here today.“

Ahmad stressed that early detection is vital. Many people think, ‘I eat healthy and exercise, so I’m fine.’ But there are many factors that contribute to cardiovascular disease. The only way to know is to get checked regularly.

The experts’ advice is clear: Don’t wait until it’s too late.