• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

60 yr old Ah Mah: Govt is talking rubbish if they think Gen Ys can start families wit

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
[h=2]60 yr old Ah Mah: Govt is talking rubbish if they think Gen Ys can start families with present incomes[/h]
PostDateIcon.png
September 8th, 2012 |
PostAuthorIcon.png
Author: Contributions

struggling.png

This lady speaks the truth. $6K a month to support 2 sets of grandparents, plus two kids — it is a hard struggle.

I believe her when she says they have hardly any savings.

I am 60 year old grandmother and I have raised a family of three when things were a lot cheaper. We lived modestly. We did not have to support our parents, but contributed.

It was still tough.

Now I would say it is impossible. You will fall sick with the stress and struggle.

Now, young married couples need 2 incomes to get by. Incomes are very low, given the cost of homes, and the general cost of living.

If they have a child, can they afford full-time childcare? On a combined income of $5k pm, no. Mum has to stop work. Can they cope on $2.5k? No.

In any case is it advisable for them to leave the care of their baby to third parties? No.

The govt is talking rubbish if they think our the (average) GEN Y’s can start a family on their present incomes. Many of my son’s friends do want to get married and start a family. They are people I am proud of… smart, responsible, hardworking, gave 3 years to NS… etc.

But the govt chooses to put huge resources behind foreigners who are merely opportunists and birds of passage!
60 year old Ah MM
* Comment first appeared in: Family with household income exceeding $6000 but still struggling

depeche

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: 60 yr old Ah Mah: Govt is talking rubbish if they think Gen Ys can start families

The nation has been cheated...

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: 60 yr old Ah Mah: Govt is talking rubbish if they think Gen Ys can start families

This ah mah is frog in well....never read newspapers....if not how come she dunno about other people can support family of 8 with $1500 income per month?

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal

Life is really hard then.. when i was younger, i am surviving on a 2K take home salary. after deducting off things like bills, money to parents, some insurance etc, i had nothing left. no savings. and could not even afford to start a family..

and please, i do not need people to reply saying that 'i should have study harder', or 'cancel off my insurance' etc..

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal

This 60 year old is talking rubbish. Without FTs, would singkies have so efficient services at low cost? Without FTs, would we have investments that gave us so many jobs?
Eat until 60 also dunno how to think. What a pity.

Btw I don't think the author of this letter is 60 cos if he is that old, I am sure he would know we had less money n more kids back in the 60s to 80s

Last edited:

hairylee

Alfrescian
Loyal

Life is really hard then.. when i was younger, i am surviving on a 2K take home salary. after deducting off things like bills, money to parents, some insurance etc, i had nothing left. no savings. and could not even afford to start a family..

and please, i do not need people to reply saying that 'i should have study harder', or 'cancel off my insurance' etc..

I know people who had studied hard, got good qualifications, cancelled all insurance policies and working as a security guard.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

and who is going to say that? I can see only one stub will say that _ Kinana

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

clinton, come out,

I know you are here

SadPlumpGal

Alfrescian
Loyal

$6k not enough? I live in a different world...

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

$6k not enough? I live in a different world...

She is supporting " 2 sets of grandparents, plus two kids".

I can sympathise with her because I know of a family which owns 2 pte properties & 1 business property. Both parents are gainfully employed. Child is now fully grown up & got a good job.
However they still complain that money not enough:eek:

Welcome to materialistic Spore, where even multi-millionaires are struggling :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

A better solution: unwant the want to get married and have children.

Yes, it is a want, not a need.

And you are a fool if you think that the PAP govt will keep its part of the bargain and curb the inflow of foreigners if born-and-bred Sinkies suddenly experience a baby boom. All you are doing is ensuring that Singapore hits the magic 6 million population size much quicker.

This place is not a home (it's a transit hotel), it does not have heart, and it does not have hope.

No home. No heart. No hope. Why would I want my kids to grow up here even if, hypothetically, I want to start a family?

kindgentleman

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why are you giving your parents money?

Old people are supposed to take care of themselves and not beg their children for money all the time (unless it is an emergency). Why in the world should the kids give money to their aged parents unless they were irresponsible with their entire lives?

Similarly, adults should move out of their house when they are in their twenties latest and learn to be independent.

dietcoke

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why are you giving your parents money?

Old people are supposed to take care of themselves and not beg their children for money all the time (unless it is an emergency). Why in the world should the kids give money to their aged parents unless they were irresponsible with their entire lives?

Similarly, adults should move out of their house when they are in their twenties latest and learn to be independent.

u are so dumb... i give my parents money because i happy la. cannot ah, its my money not your money. and also, i hope u plan and save up for ur future and hope ur children does not forgot they have such a parent, that is, if u are able to have any children, freak!

kindgentleman

Alfrescian
Loyal

u are so dumb... i give my parents money because i happy la. cannot ah, its my money not your money. and also, i hope u plan and save up for ur future and hope ur children does not forgot they have such a parent, that is, if u are able to have any children, freak!

but you posted that you don't even have money yourself yet you give your parents money. that doesn't make any sense to me.

i don't expect my children to pay for all my stuff. i am not that selfish and weak. maybe your parents are.

kindgentleman

Alfrescian
Loyal

A better solution: unwant the want to get married and have children.

Yes, it is a want, not a need.

And you are a fool if you think that the PAP govt will keep its part of the bargain and curb the inflow of foreigners if born-and-bred Sinkies suddenly experience a baby boom. All you are doing is ensuring that Singapore hits the magic 6 million population size much quicker.

This place is not a home (it's a transit hotel), it does not have heart, and it does not have hope.

No home. No heart. No hope. Why would I want my kids to grow up here even if, hypothetically, I want to start a family?

skilled immigrants are good for sg. you are always free to leave sg anytime you want.

the government has done a good job...and assuming one works, he shouldn't have problems with retirement at all in s'pore...the future looks very bright indeed. of course, there are many who choose not to work or to educate themselves and point their fingers at the gov't the whole time...this problem is hardly unique to singapore.