• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

$4,000 income enough for a family?

Dogtracker

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://forums.delphiforums.com/3in1kopitiam/messages/?msg=10324.1

To: Marymore unread (15 of 16)

10300.15 in reply to 10300.1

Assume family of 4. I do these calculations based on an extremely FRUGAL family with no car (frugal, not poverty stricken, so I give them a realistic budget).

Household income = $4,000.
Less CPF = $800
Left = $3,200

Less savings 10% of income towards retirement fund = $400
Left = $2,800

Less support for elderly parents = $800
Left = $2,000

Less daily meals.
Breakfast = $1.50 each x 4 = $6
Lunch (+ drinks) = $4 each x 4 = $16
Dinner ( drinks) = $4 each x 4 = $16
Total per day = $38
Total per 30 day month = $1140
Left = $860

Less transportation to/from work and school
Each person each day = $5
Whole family each day = $5 x 4 = $20
Whole family each month (1 day stay at home) = 24 x $20 = $480
Left = $380

Less utilities = $100 (no aircon, for family of four)
Left = $280

Phone bills = $20
Left = $260

Entertainment (cheap one) each week = $10 per person = $40 for family
Per month = 4 x $40 = $160
Left = $160

Less additional top up for mortgage payment of $900 (after CPF) = $100
Left = $60

So the family is left with $60 each month.

I have not added:
- mobile phone charges ($20 each for adults, = $40)
- town council charges ($40?)
- property tax ($10?)
- income tax
- school fees
- internet connection (have to do without lor)
- medical fees when someone falls sick (don't see doctor lor)
- payment for house insurance
- budget for buying things like clothes that wear out, shoes, school bags, wallets for kids, text books for kids, spectacles, etc.
- repairs to the home
- replacing broken furniture or fixtures in the house
- gas for cooking
- emergencies
- birthday celebrations/gifts for children's birthdays
- radio and TV license

So unless one were to live like a poverty stricken pauper (maybe rice with one egg and kang kong every meal, or rice with towgay taukwa every meal) I don't see how a family can "afford" to pay $900 each month on a $4,000 household income.

Neither can they go without the savings component. If don't save, old already sell tissue paper and wash toilet ah?

And $800 for two elderly parents is really cruel lah, that's $400 per person per month. So our parents have to live like paupers too.

And think of all the things this family has to do without. They're not living, they're merely existing.

What quality of life? What Swiss standard of living?

I tell you what, ask the minister who uttered those words to do this. Ask him to live with a family with a budget of $4k a month, in a 4 room flat, and then ask him how he likes the lifestyle.

If you're from the press (state controlled or not), or opposition party, feel free to use my figures and my post. Feel free to alter it or use it however you see fit.

I'm sure I'm being super conservative already, there're bound to be things I forgot.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Mostly total family income less than $4K/month for family of 4 will not give more than $200/month to their parent or worst still need to borrow/take money from their parents. Sure no saving/insurance.