• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

154th Leeporter is 1.5m Tall & Imperfect Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>May 25, 2009
SOAPBOX
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>The flaw in the 'imperfect' drive
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Teaching that building a strong relationship is a team effort is better than singling out flaws </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Kim Spykerman
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
b8-1.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->UNTIL two weeks ago, I had always thought of my less-than-endearing qualities as, uh, quirks.
But it looks like I might have to reclassify my definitions. The winners of the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports' (MCYS) recent 'Most Beautifully Imperfect Couples' search listed being clumsy, hot-headed and short (I maintain that height is a relative concept) as some of their own or their partner's 'imperfect' traits.
The campaign wants couples to 'celebrate the imperfections that make a relationship beautiful'.
Personally, I am flummoxed. At about 1.5m tall, I realise that I - fortunately or otherwise - also have all of the shortcomings listed above.
Maybe more. I talk too fast, curse too much and am dangerously addicted to trashy television. By their definitions, I suppose I am 'imperfect' too.
I am not pooh-poohing the campaign's merits. I admit it is very sweet to see how people find certain 'quirky' aspects of their partner's character perfect for them.
But I am not thrilled about labelling a person's particular traits as 'imperfections' - why turn just a difference into an obvious flaw?
Calling somebody 'beautifully imperfect' is a little like saying: 'Well, fine, you're not exactly like me, but I'll just try not to find too much fault with you.'
One question I asked myself is this: can two imperfect people make a 'perfect' couple?
I would like to think it can - though I am still finding out what that means.
As the child of a Chinese mother and a Eurasian father, what might have fit the 'imperfect' bill was normal - even, perfect - to me.
Their different racial backgrounds did not put a dent in their relationship. Neither did the differences in their education levels - or hobbies, for that matter.
My mum enjoys painting, my dad probably cannot tell a toothbrush from a paintbrush. He loves a good game of soccer, she cannot see the point of 22 men chasing after a single ball. They are different, yes.
But I believe what works is that they have never viewed these differences as imperfections. Instead, one of them picks up where the other leaves off - a team effort rather than assigning the blame when things do not go right.
Perhaps if this campaign wanted to be more relevant to my generation, it ought to have focused on acceptance, rather than singling out flaws.
After all, among those of my generation, I think it is a lot easier to be dissatisfied with a partner who falls short.
Instead of looking for what is wrong, we need to accept that a relationship is the sum of its parts, not pick it apart. [email protected]

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Imperfect? That's okay with me
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Controversial campaign slogan encourages youth to be open to love in unexpected forms </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Jermyn Chow
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
b8-2.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->THE use of the word 'imperfect' in the Government's latest pro-marriage campaign has raised some eyebrows.
The beef: Why highlight a person's flaws - fat, short, stumpy, a loud snorer, among other less desirable traits?
But frankly, the word sums up how unrealistic those Singaporeans who are holding out for that 'perfect' soulmate can be.
This is borne out by findings in a 2007 study by the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports which showed that most young Singaporeans wanted to get married, but were not doing so, they said, because they had yet to meet their Mr or Miss Right.
'Imperfect' is a direct hit at those still hankering for that next-to-nothing chance of a Hollywood, fairy-tale hook-up.
It says to me, and those of my generation, that if we want a significant other, we need to be open to him or her showing up in a form that is other than the idealised image in our minds.
This person can come packaged in a different shape, size or colour - even unconventionally so.
The 'beautifully imperfect' slogan should make youth - and their parents - think about embracing diversity.
My not exactly colour-blind folks hold me hostage - at the dinner table, in the car, when they receive a wedding invitation from friends and relatives - to tell me to 'find that nice perfect Chinese girl'.
They extol the virtues of their choice cut: good family background, pedigree school, illustrious career, respectful, a pair of good kitchen hands (though she cannot outdo my mum) and, of course, child-bearing hips.
Now this mystical being, should she show up riding a unicorn, would indeed be 'perfection'.
Never mind the rise in inter-racial and international couples in recent times. To my folks, it does not matter that the number of inter-ethnic weddings last year rose to 4,113, up from 3,939 in 2007.
Never mind, in fact, that I am not interested in a Chinatown Barbie, and am well capable of finding someone (child-bearing hips or not) to spend the rest of my life with.
So maybe the 'Beautifully Imperfect' campaign will get those like my parents to confront and accept the cliched axiom: Nothing and no one is perfect in this world.
Sure, detractors can argue that the word 'imperfect' is misused.
But while we can split hairs and get pedantic about the campaign, let us not lose sight of the bigger picture.
After all, the truth can hurt, but it is also liberating. You do not have to be perfect to find true love.
[email protected]
YOUR SAY: Have something to say about articles in YouthInk? Thinking of contributing a story? E-mail [email protected] with your name, age and contact number.

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
Imperfect marriage only encourage more freaks getting it on and having more freck-o offsprings that lives the same cycle over and over again !