• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

135mm Nikkor Plena - The World's Best Portrait Lens ?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena, a mid-telephoto prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system​

September 27, 2023

Realizing outstanding optical performance and bestowed with a special name​

NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena, a mid-telephoto prime lens that is compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.

The NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena is an S-Line* lens, and takes full advantage of the Z mount system's large-diameter mount that unlocks further possibilities for lens design, as well as the potential for large and consistent distribution of light. This realizes beautiful, well-rounded bokeh throughout the entire frame even at maximum aperture, and outstanding sharpness and clarity regardless of the shooting distance — resulting in the fantastic expression of delicate textures and beautiful bokeh in both portraits and landscapes.

The lens' exterior design is intended to match its superior optical performance. The metal lens barrel features an engraved "Plena" logo, using the same yellow, cursive font as the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct. The name "Plena" is derived from the term plenum, which denotes the state of a space being completely full, and adopted to reflect the lens' ability to support the user's creative vision with beautiful, well-rounded bokeh of outstanding sharpness and clarity. Following in the footsteps of the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct, the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena has been bestowed with a unique name in the hopes that it will be treasured by users for many years to come.

Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.

• *The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.

photo
© Christian Ammann
photo
© Taru Rantala

Primary features​

• Beautiful, well-rounded bokeh is achieved throughout the entire frame, while also supporting a fast f/1.8 maximum aperture. Fantastic expression that accentuates the three-dimensionality of the subject is achieved through the smooth gradation of bokeh that expands largely in front of and behind the focal plane, and the minimal color fringing of the bokeh.
  • The large amount of peripheral light at f/1.8 maximum aperture ensures a consistently bright image all the way to the edges of the frame, for a sense of transparency and brilliance in images.
  • With the outstanding sharpness and clarity distinct to S-Line lenses, the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena expresses the delicate textures in hair and skin, while top-class point-image reproduction capability achieves thorough rendering of night landscapes.
  • Adoption of a multi-focusing system*1 that uses stepping motors (STMs) realizes fast, accurate, and quiet AF drive, and enables accurate focusing, even at maximum aperture, for still images and video.
  • In addition to Meso Amorphous Coat, the most effective anti-reflection coating in Nikon history that prevents reflections regardless of the direction from which light enters the lens, Nikon's original ARNEO Coat is also used to effectively reduce ghosts and flares.
  • Its premium design, which includes an engraved "Plena" logo on the metal lens barrel, offers a sense of sophistication.
  • A design that takes video recording into consideration with quiet operation and stable exposure, as well as functions including focus-breathing suppression*2 that effectively reduces shifting of the angle of view when focusing.
  • Two lens Fn buttons, to which a wide variety of functions can be assigned, are adopted. One is positioned on the top of the lens, enabling smooth adjustment of settings even when shooting in vertical orientation.
  • The versatile 82-mm filter-attachment size enables the use of various lens filters designed to satisfy users' creative intent.
  • Designed to achieve superior dust- and drip-resistant performance*3, and equipped with an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism for stable aperture control during high-speed continuous shooting.

• *1Multiple AF drive units work together to control the position of multiple focus lens groups with great precision for superior image formation performance regardless of shooting distance.
  • *2Focus breathing may be noticeable depending on the distance between the lens and the subject due to the characteristics of the lens.
  • *3Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.

• Specifications, design, product name and supplied accessories may differ by country or area. Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

The Nikon ‘Plena’ is a Super-Sharp 135mm f/1.8 S with Perfect Bokeh​

Sep 26, 2023
Jaron Schneider

Nikon's New 135mm f/1.8 S Plena is a Bokeh Monster

Nikon announced the Nikkor Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena, the second named lens in its Z-mount line that sets a high bar for itself through the promise of dreamy bokeh, high resolution, edge-to-edge brightness, and incredible sharpness.

The first named lens is of course the 58mm f/0.95 Noct, but the Plena appears to be a far more usable and attainable lens. Teased last week, the name “Plena” is derived from the Latin word “plenum,” which Nikon says denotes the state of a space being completely full.

“This name was chosen to reflect the lens’ ability to fulfill the user’s creative vision with superior light gathering capability, beautiful, well-rounded bokeh, and outstanding sharpness and clarity throughout the frame,” Nikon explains.

Nikon 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

“Following in the footsteps of the Nikkor Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct, this distinctively brilliant portrait prime is only the second Nikon lens to be granted a dedicated name, with the hope that it will be highly regarded by users for many years to come.”

Part of the S line of lenses, the 135mm f/1.8 Plena was engineered with a focus on superior peripheral illumination — basically, an emphasis on reducing vignetting and providing clear, bright distinction from edge to edge and corner to center.
“The Plena is a beautiful lens in every way. From the premium metal exterior to the brightness and image rendering that’s nothing short of breathtaking, this is a lens that needs to be experienced,” Jay Vannatter, Executive Vice President, Nikon Inc., says.

“This is exactly the kind of incredible optical innovation that our engineers promised was in our future, which could only be developed with the wider diameter and shorter flange distance of the next generation Z mount.”

Nikon 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

The Plena is constructed of 16 elements arranged into 14 groups including four ED elements, one aspherical element, and one SR lens element. It features an 11-bladed aperture diaphragm and a larger rear element which Nikon says contribute to an “exceptionally” circular bokeh that allows photographers to produce “dreamlike expression.”

Nikon's New 135mm f/1.8 S Plena optical construction

The lens has two special coatings on the optics. First is the Meso Amorphous Coat which Nikon claims is the most effective anti-reflection coating in its history and prevents reflections regardless of the direction from which light enters the lens. The second is Nikon’s original ARNEO Coat which is also used to reduce instances of ghosting and flaring.

Nikon's New 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

Nikon puts significant emphasis on the large amount of peripheral light at f/1.8 that ensures a consistently bright image across the frame. this, mixed with high levels of sharpness and clarity enables detailed rendering of fine textures like hair and skin tones. The company also says it has excellent point-light reproduction capabilities that achieve brilliant night and urban landscape imagery.

The focusing system is driven by stepping motors (STMs) and Nikon promises this results in fast, accurate, and quiet autofocus in both still capture and video. It features an 82mm front filter thread and has a minimum focusing distance of 0.82 meters (2.69 feet). Nikon says it achieves “superior” dust and drip resistance as well.

The lens body features two lens Fn buttons that can be assigned to different functions. One is positioned on the top of the lens, which Nikon says enables smooth adjustment of settings even when shooting in vertical orientation, while the other is located on the side.

While not small, it’s about half the weight of Nikon’s Noct at 995 grams. It measures 3.9 by 5.5 inches.

Below are a few sample images taken with the lens, provided by Nikon:
Nikon 135mm f/1.8 S Plena sample photo

The new Nikkor Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena will be available in mid-October for a suggested retail price of $2,500.

Image credits: Nikon
Equipment, News
Equipment, lens, mirrorless, News, nikkorz135mmf18splena, nikon, nikon135mmf18splena, nikonplena, noct, plena

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
PCMag Australia Reviews Consumer Electronics Digital Cameras
Lenses

Nikon Plena Lens Promises Beautiful Bokeh for Portraits​

The Nikkor Z 135mm F1.8 S Plena matches a wide aperture and telephoto focal length for extreme background blur​

Jim Fisher
by Jim Fisher
| Sep 27, 2023

nikon-plena-lens-promises-beautiful-bokeh-for-portraits_bd5j.1920.jpg
Nikon is excited about its latest lens, the Nikkor Z 135mm F1.8 S, even more so than usual. It's gone as far as to give the lens a name, Plena. It's the second named Z lens, following the 58mm F0.95 S Noct, an $8,000 lens that is more about what Nikon's engineers could do with an unlimited budget, and less so a practical tool for mere mortals.
The Plena is a more approachable lens; it costs about a third of the Noct, and includes autofocus, so we expect more photographers to actually own one. Its focal length and aperture make it an especially good pick for portrait work, or any photo where you want to place your subject against a blurred, defocused background.

Exotic Optics for Rounded Bokeh​

The 135mm F1.8 isn't a unique concept, Canon and Sony both sell a version for their respective mirrorless systems. Nikon is touting a couple aspects of the Plena as difference makers versus the competition. Its 16-element/14-group optical formula uses a single aspherical element, which makes for rounder bokeh highlights toward the edges of the picture at f/1.8. Both the Canon RF 135mm F1.8 IS L USM and Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM exhibit the cat's eye effect toward the periphery.
nikon-nikkor-z-135mm-f18-s-plena-lens_1qx3.jpg

For stopped-down work, an 11-blade aperture maintains rounded highlights at smaller f-stops. Nikon also touts a minimal vignette as an advantage, though lens correction profiles make that more of a bragging point than practical concern for most photos.
Autofocus is a practical addition that's not included in the Noct; the Plena's STM motors work with eye detection and tracking features included in Z mirrorless cameras, so you should be able to get perfectly focused eyes, even if your model is moving. Stabilization isn't included, however, so Nikon photogs will need to be more mindful of shutter speeds than with Canon's stabilized RF 135mm.
nikon-plena-lens-sample-image-portrait-of-a-woman-against-a_xtws.jpg

Construction looks sturdy too. The Plena includes dust and drip protection and a metal barrel with an engraved logo. It's a classy looking lens. It's fairly heavy for its 3.9-by-5.5-inch barrel, 2.2 pounds, but still roughly half of the famously heavy Noct.

Pricing and Availability​

The Nikkor Z 135mm F1.8 S Plena goes on sale in mid-October for $2,499.95. It's a bargain compared with the $8,000 Nikkor Noct, but costs a bit more than the Canon 135mm ($2,099) or Sony 135mm GM ($2,199). We'll report back after we've tested the Plena to see if it's worth the slight premium, or lofty marketing for that matter.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena, a mid-telephoto prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system​

September 27, 2023

Realizing outstanding optical performance and bestowed with a special name​

NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena

TOKYO - Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena, a mid-telephoto prime lens that is compatible with full-frame/FX-format mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted.

The NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena is an S-Line* lens, and takes full advantage of the Z mount system's large-diameter mount that unlocks further possibilities for lens design, as well as the potential for large and consistent distribution of light. This realizes beautiful, well-rounded bokeh throughout the entire frame even at maximum aperture, and outstanding sharpness and clarity regardless of the shooting distance — resulting in the fantastic expression of delicate textures and beautiful bokeh in both portraits and landscapes.

The lens' exterior design is intended to match its superior optical performance. The metal lens barrel features an engraved "Plena" logo, using the same yellow, cursive font as the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct. The name "Plena" is derived from the term plenum, which denotes the state of a space being completely full, and adopted to reflect the lens' ability to support the user's creative vision with beautiful, well-rounded bokeh of outstanding sharpness and clarity. Following in the footsteps of the NIKKOR Z 58mm f/0.95 S Noct, the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena has been bestowed with a unique name in the hopes that it will be treasured by users for many years to come.

Nikon will continue to pursue a new dimension in optical performance while meeting users' needs, contributing to the development of imaging culture, with the hope of expanding possibilities for imaging expression.

• *The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.

photo
© Christian Ammann
photo
© Taru Rantala

Primary features​

• Beautiful, well-rounded bokeh is achieved throughout the entire frame, while also supporting a fast f/1.8 maximum aperture. Fantastic expression that accentuates the three-dimensionality of the subject is achieved through the smooth gradation of bokeh that expands largely in front of and behind the focal plane, and the minimal color fringing of the bokeh.
  • The large amount of peripheral light at f/1.8 maximum aperture ensures a consistently bright image all the way to the edges of the frame, for a sense of transparency and brilliance in images.
  • With the outstanding sharpness and clarity distinct to S-Line lenses, the NIKKOR Z 135mm f/1.8 S Plena expresses the delicate textures in hair and skin, while top-class point-image reproduction capability achieves thorough rendering of night landscapes.
  • Adoption of a multi-focusing system*1 that uses stepping motors (STMs) realizes fast, accurate, and quiet AF drive, and enables accurate focusing, even at maximum aperture, for still images and video.
  • In addition to Meso Amorphous Coat, the most effective anti-reflection coating in Nikon history that prevents reflections regardless of the direction from which light enters the lens, Nikon's original ARNEO Coat is also used to effectively reduce ghosts and flares.
  • Its premium design, which includes an engraved "Plena" logo on the metal lens barrel, offers a sense of sophistication.
  • A design that takes video recording into consideration with quiet operation and stable exposure, as well as functions including focus-breathing suppression*2 that effectively reduces shifting of the angle of view when focusing.
  • Two lens Fn buttons, to which a wide variety of functions can be assigned, are adopted. One is positioned on the top of the lens, enabling smooth adjustment of settings even when shooting in vertical orientation.
  • The versatile 82-mm filter-attachment size enables the use of various lens filters designed to satisfy users' creative intent.
  • Designed to achieve superior dust- and drip-resistant performance*3, and equipped with an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism for stable aperture control during high-speed continuous shooting.

• *1Multiple AF drive units work together to control the position of multiple focus lens groups with great precision for superior image formation performance regardless of shooting distance.
  • *2Focus breathing may be noticeable depending on the distance between the lens and the subject due to the characteristics of the lens.
  • *3Thorough dust- and drip-resistance is not guaranteed in all situations or under all conditions.

Short Tele ish jin satik

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haven't got my Z9 yet. :smile:

When I finally take the plunge it will be with this lens because I just love portrait photography.
yes. it's great when you have nice models. really enjoy it when the results come out good. It was some 20 years ago I was meddling around with an F90x. Didn't have the money to spring for a good portrait lens at the time. Cheapo minded, I just had to rely on two zooms.

Although people make a big fuss about shooting wide open for portrait photography, I found it too predictable a composition. Almost never needed low numbers to get that good a shot. However, I never liked my lenses quality. A lot of aberrations compared to Nikkor. You get what you pay for I guess. Only Nikkor I ever used was a cast off from an F50 bundle. I don't remember the numbers anymore. Even though it was a budget everyday lens, it was significantly a better quality product than the two lenses I bought. 1 Sigma and 1 Tokina. Would never buy them again. The sigma was particularly crap, but I got conned by all the ads and good reviews in magazines. I remember 1 thing I used a lot was a polarizing filter cause most 90% of my shots were outdoors.

Show us some shots with the z9 and plena when you get it which I'm sure is just a matter of time.:thumbsup:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Bloody expensive!!!!

If I get the Z9 at the same time that's an outlay of $15,000 !!!!!

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 5.59.13 PM.png

metalrover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Photography as a hobby during my younger days. I still keep my Canon eos500d film camera and 3 in 1 zoom lens.

Photography very ex hobby. Nowaday use smartphone sua...

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Photography as a hobby during my younger days. I still keep my Canon eos500d film camera and 3 in 1 zoom lens.

Photography very ex hobby. Nowaday use smartphone sua...

I still have my Leica and Nikon F4 film cameras gathering dust for the last 20 years.

metalrover

Alfrescian
Loyal
I still have my Leica and Nikon F4 film cameras gathering dust for the last 20 years.
F4 or f5 quite heavy, i remember my photography friend haolian his nikon f4 or f5 back then. My canon was a friend asked me take photos for his events and ask me hold on to it after the events. I picked up photography hobby since got free camera to play. It stayed with me till today.