• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

100-Strong Protest @ Hong Lim On Against Fare Hike

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bloggers take public transport debate to Speakers' Corner
Posted: 13 September 2008 2157 hrs
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=right width=20> </TD><TD align=right width=240>
phpc3K7xB.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top height=60> </TD><TD class=update vAlign=top height=60><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=138 bgColor=#f6f6f6>Photos </TD><TD width=47 bgColor=#f6f6f6>1 of 1</TD><TD width=18 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=btnPrev disabled onclick=Prev(); type=image height=15 width=18 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_previous.gif" value="<< Previous"></TD><TD width=19 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=bntPlay onclick=Play() type=image height=15 width=19 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_stop.gif" value="Play - Stop"></TD><TD width=18 bgColor=#f6f6f6><INPUT id=btnNext disabled onclick=Next(); type=image height=15 width=18 src="http://www.channelnewsasia.com/images/butt_next.gif" value=" Next >> "></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
dotline_240.gif

Singaporeans wait to listen to speakers at the Speakers' Corner (file picture)</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD class=update> </TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SINGAPORE: Some 100 people turned up at the Speakers' Corner at Hong Lim Park on Saturday evening in one of the biggest gatherings seen at the site in recent years.

They were there to hear speakers debate Singapore's public transport system. The event was organised by a group of bloggers.

The bloggers came armed with ideas contained in a 10-page report found on the website The Online Citizen, which outlined proposals such as increasing motor-vehicle taxes, subsidies for public transport and enforcement of higher service standards by public transport operators.

Six bloggers spoke at the event, which lasted one and a half hours. One of the them was Gerald Giam, the deputy editor of The Online Citizen.

He said: "I think this whole reason for the fare hikes is symptomatic of a lot of other issues, for example, the lack of government investment in the public transport system in Singapore.

"Generally our public transport is very good but I think there's lot of room for improvement and I believe that at this point it does not justify the increase in fees.

"The amount of overcrowding in the public transport system, I think that's a bugbear for a lot of people including myself."

Mr Giam added: "One of our proposals was to increase the amount of competition among the public transport companies because we believe that competition would somehow be able to reduce the prices as well as increase the level of service that commuters can enjoy."

The government, who together with transport operators, will be helping the needy cope with the increase, says the latest public transport fare revision is part of efforts to deliver a people-centred land transport system.

The issue is one that obviously resonates with many Singaporeans who attended the debate at the Speakers' Corner.

"It concerns my living....because my pocket money will be getting less," said one of them.

"It's to show support for the poor in the country who would be suffering a lot because of this yearly increase in fares," said another.

"I think it interests everybody, right? Because transport fare is too high, so everyone is affected. Everyone," said a third participant.

"Transportation should remain affordable, especially for the needy," said a fourth participant.

The proposals have been sent to the Transport Ministry as well as the Public Transport Council and the Government Parliamentary Committee for Transport.

Whether or not the authorities will implement any of the proposals remains to be seen.

But Saturday's event is a prime example of how Singapore bloggers are moving from behind the comfort of their computer screens to the real world.

The event may also signal many more of such public engagements to come.

- CNA/ir

Lestat

Alfrescian
Loyal
It doesn't matter if you were to stage a protest to show displeasure.

The gahmen, once they have made up their mind, will not back down to it.

If this case is the exception, this will be what I call, truly listening to the REAL ground, instead of all the smokescreens which the lower rungs present to the higher dungs. :biggrin::biggrin: