• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

1.8m-tall victim claims 1.6m-tall accused slashed him on head

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,203966,00.html?

LAWYER: THE ACCUSED CAN...
BARELY REACH TOP OF HIS HEAD
By Andre Yeo

June 04, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_AYCHOP-03G.jpg

HURT: Mr Mohd Rizal got superficial cuts from the confrontation.
The main difference in this Singapore version: David is accused of being the bad guy.

IT WAS a case of David versus Goliath.

And Goliath the victim.

Yesterday, in the Subordinate Courts, Goliath claimed that David was so strong and violent that he smashed Goliath's weapon to pieces.

David's weapon of choice? No, not a slingshot, but a chopper.

And, it seemed, the reason for the fight was a woman.

Ker Ah Tee, 45, a technician, stands at about 1.6m tall.

On 21 Jun last year, he allegedly used a chopper to attack Mr Mohd Rizal Abdullah, 54, who towers over him at 1.8m.

Yesterday was the start of Ker's four-day trial for allegedly voluntarily causing hurt.

Mr Mohd Rizal was the only witness to take the stand yesterday as he gave his account of what allegedly happened at the void deck of Ker's flat in Pasir Ris Drive 1 at 12.20am that day.

Ker was divorced from his wife, Madam Shirley Ee, in 2007 but both continued to live in the same flat with their three children.

Shouting

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_AYCHOP-E9M.jpg

ACCUSED: Ker Ah Tee allegedly swung a chopper with a 30cm-long blade at Mr Mohd Rizal. TNP PICTURES: GAVIN FOO

Last June, they were in the process of selling their flat when Mr Mohd Rizal walked Madam Ee home on 20Jun after 11pm.

He told Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Isaac Tan that Madam Ee had called him that night to say that she had problems.

Mr Mohd Rizal, who is married and also lives in Pasir Ris, agreed to meet her at Pasir Ris Central. After he bought a can of beer, they took a slow walk to her flat. He claimed that when she went up to her flat, he heard someone shouting at him from above: 'Don't run!'

He said when he looked up, he saw Ker standing between the staircase landings of the third and fourth storeys.

Mr Mohd Rizal said: 'The next minute, I saw him with the chopper in his hands coming down the last flight of the staircase.

'He looked very disturbed and very violent and I called out and said, 'Can you stop it?'

'He looked very angry for reasons unknown to me.'

Mr Mohd Rizal said when he saw Ker with the chopper, he ran to a nearby rubbish centre and picked up a piece of wooden plank, about a metre long, to defend himself with.

He said Ker was swinging the chopper wildly at him as he tried to ward off the blows with the plank.

With each swing of Ker's chopper, which had a 30cm-long blade, Mr Mohd Rizal said he became more vulnerable.

He said that as he blocked the blows, he retreated to the void deck, then the lift lobby until both of them fell into a nearby drain.

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_AYCHOP_1.jpg

TNP ILLUSTRATION: KELVIN CHAN

When Mr Tan asked him how many times he was struck, Mr Mohd Rizal said he couldn't remember but there were many blows.

He said that the plank became smaller as it broke into pieces each time he hit it.

The plank, which had been reduced to three pieces, was submitted in court as evidence, together with the chopper. Mr Mohd Rizal confirmed they were the ones used in the fight.

When Mr Tan asked if Ker had managed to hit his body, Mr Mohd Rizal said, no, just his head.

This prompted District Judge Sarjit Singh to ask: 'So, your head is not (part of) your body?'

Ker, who is out on $8,000 bail, was calm and smiling in the dock as he looked at Mr Mohd Rizal during yesterday's proceedings.

Three policemen and an auxiliary police officer from security management firm AETOS stood behind him.

Mr Mohd Rizal avoided eye contact with Ker and looked ahead as he gave his testimony.

Mr Mohd Rizal claimed Ker had struck him on the head with the chopper, causing him to bleed profusely, which made him feel dizzy.

He said he did not know how long the fight lasted but that it only stopped when Madam Ee ran down to the drain to separate them.

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_AYCHOP-8CF.jpg

EX-WIFE: Ker Ah Tee's ex-wife, Madam Shirley Ee.

Mr Mohd Rizal then called the police and an ambulance took him to Changi General Hospital where he was found to have suffered superficial cuts.

Ker is denying causing those injuries with the chopper.

His lawyer, Miss Diana Foo, wasted no time in calling Mr Mohd Rizal a liar. She did not hold back her accusations during her cross-examination.

She asked how it was possible that a short man like Ker could hit someone as tall as Mr Mohd Rizal.

Mr Mohd Rizal admitted he was taller and bigger than Ker.

But he said Ker had managed to hit him on the head as he was bending his knees, in a defensive stance, while trying to ward off Ker's blows.

Miss Foo's retort: 'You are not telling the truth.'

When Mr Mohd Rizal stood up to demonstrate how he had bent his knees to match Ker's height, Miss Foo bellowed: 'You are a liar!'

Miss Foo also rubbished his claims that he ran away from Ker and accused him of being the one waiting for Ker with the plank, before attacking him.

Mr Mohd Rizal replied firmly that this was totally untrue.

At one point, Miss Foo said Mr Mohd Rizal had a previous conviction for drink driving and had been jailed for two weeks and disqualified from driving.

He replied that that incident had nothing to do with the current case.

'Outrageous'

Miss Foo also accused him of having designs on Madam Ee the moment Ker introduced her to him in 2003, when Ker ran a drinks stall and he was helping out at his cousin's restaurant at Downtown East in Pasir Ris.

He said he had never held such thoughts and said they were just friends.

Miss Foo again went on the offensive, accusing him of having had sex with Madam Ee.

Outrageous, he said.

Absurd, he repeated, when her attacks would not let up.

On Miss Foo's charges that Madam Ee would spend hours at his flat, he said: 'I don't have such time to spend with anybody.'

Miss Foo submitted as evidence pictures of Mr Mohd Rizal and Madam Ee together at functions and on a trip to Pulau Ubin with her youngest child, a boy.

Mr Mohd Rizal admitted it was him in the photos but said that was not considered a trip.

He said: 'This is in Singapore. This was a bum boat ride. So, there are no holidays.'

The trial continues tomorrow.

The Case

KER faces one charge of voluntarily causing hurt by allegedly using a chopper to hurt Mr Mohd Rizal on his forehead, right cheek and right index finger. If convicted, he could be jailed for up to seven years, fined or caned.

Heard in court

YESTERDAY'S proceedings saw witness Mohd Rizal having some interesting exchanges with the DPP and defence counsel, including one point when he seemed to forget that he's married.

No...Yes, I'm married

DPP Tan: Were you also married on 21 Jun 2008?

Mr Mohd Rizal: No.

DPP Tan: 21 Jun 2008, were you married then?'

Mr Mohd: Oh, I was.

Not interested

Miss Foo: I put to you that soon after the accused (Ker) introduced his wife to you, you started to get interested in her.

Mr Mohd Rizal: I never had such thoughts.

Looks like me

Miss Foo (after submitting photos of Mr Mohd Rizal and Madam Ee together): That's you and Shirley.

Mr Mohd Rizal: Looks like me, but I don't remember this photo.

He hit my head

Miss Foo: Are you saying the accused, being a shorter person, could reach out his hand and hit the top of your head? When he can barely reach the top of your head?

Mr Mohd Rizal: Possible.

sammyman666

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is quite dumb. It is not about the height of the two guys; the 'victim' is not accusing the attacker of headbutting him.

It is about the reach of the short guy's arm with the chopper and the head of the tall guy, isn't it? I mean, I am 1.7m and can easily touch 2.1m with my fingertips if I reach out for the sky. With a chopper with a 30cm blade, I can probably touch 2.4m if I stand up straight

Besides, the tall guy will most likely be somewhat crouching if he is indeed under attack, so as to be more mobile and more able to move left or right in order to dodge the attacks. This will mean the top of the tall guy's head will likely be at about 1.6m to 1.7m (only an estimate and depending on how low he crouches) and the short guy can easily hit his head with the chopper . Nobody will stand up straight like an arrow when under a chopper attack.

With the limited information available, my view is that the short guy can easily slash the other guy's head

Last edited:

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is this an actual report? The whole column looks amateurish. The reporter seems to side with Ker.

Is Miss Foo a competent lawyer? Quite dramatic this woman.

When Mr Tan asked if Ker had managed to hit his body, Mr Mohd Rizal said, no, just his head.

This prompted District Judge Sarjit Singh to ask: 'So, your head is not (part of) your body?'

What? The judge felt the need to make fun at the man also? Although his point is right, but it just does not sound right.

And how come there are no transcript of the cross examination with Mdm Ee? Her view is crucial to this case!

http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,203966,00.html?

LAWYER: THE ACCUSED CAN...
BARELY REACH TOP OF HIS HEAD
By Andre Yeo

June 04, 2009

Then I scroll up again too look at the writer's name, oh, pseudo tabloid reporter.

What was I thinking! English version of Shin Min / Wanbao.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMwEPUDI_Co&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VMwEPUDI_Co&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I would summarily gather is:

- The beanpole likes the used woman.
- The used woman likes him also.
- The ex-husband is actually, dissatisfied and frustrated with the divorce (likely due to his ex-wife being the liability of alimony) and is jealous to see her so close to him, which is salt rubbing into the wound.
- The ex-husband suspects their divorce 4 years after introducing the beanpole to her was systematically plotted by the beanpole
- The ex-husband gets a Phoenix-Wright-esque OBJECTION! female lawyer to defend him, whom he seems to be quite confident of.
- The ex-husband is happy to post bail and is probably open to all outcomes including jail and/or fine as he is elated at the fact that he at least managed to hack at the beanpole with a chopper.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,204268,00.html?

ACCUSED TAKES THE STAND:
I saw 'love messages' sent by 'RZ' to my wife
By Vivien Chan

June 07, 2009

NP_IMAGES_VCCHOP.jpg

THE 1.6m-tall man accused of hurting another man 20cm taller than him with a chopper took the stand yesterday and portrayed himself as the victim.

Ker Ah Tee, 45, testified that MrMohd Rizal Abdullah, 54, not only stole his wife and broke up his family but also assaulted him twice before last June's incident.

In what is known as the David vs Goliath trial, the technician is accused of using a chopper to assault Mr Mohd Rizal, an operations manager whom he accused of carrying on an affair with his then-wife.

Mr Mohd Rizal and Ker's ex-wife, Madam Shirley Ee, 44, have denied this.

Taking the stand yesterday afternoon as the first of three defence witnesses, Ker said he had confronted Mr Mohd Rizal a few times about his relationship with Madam Ee.

The father of three said that on two such occasions, Mr Mohd Rizal assaulted him and even knocked out two of his teeth.

The first incident was in 2003. When Ker put Madam Ee's SIM card into his own phone, he saw 'love messages' sent by 'RZ' with words like 'sweetheart' and 'darling'.

Void deck meeting

That night the trio gathered at the void deck of Ker's block at his request.

Mr Mohd Rizal denied sending any messages to Madam Ee and asked to see the messages, Ker said.

He allowed Mr Mohd Rizal to use his own phone to read the SIM card but got 'very angry' when he realised the latter had deleted the 'love messages'.

NP_IMAGES_VCCHOP1.jpg

TAILED WIFE: Ker (top) said he followed Madam Ee (below) to the flat belonging to Mr Mohd Rizal (above). --TTNP PICTURES: GAVIN FOO

'I threw the phone and Rizal hit me. Two of my teeth dropped,' said Ker.

He said everyone then returned home as he did not want to pursue the matter.

Speaking through a Hokkien interpreter, Ker recounted the second incident, which took place in May 2006.

After seeing Mr Mohd Rizal drive Madam Ee home, he later confronted the man, who then hit him six or seven times. Ker said he was not injured as he used his hands to block the blows.

The court heard that the two men got to know each other while working at Downtown East in 2003.

Ker said Mr Mohd Rizal started trying to get close to Madam Ee then.

One day in 2004, Ker said that he saw Mr Mohd Rizal at a bus stop near Ker's HDB block holding a plastic bag bearing the name of products that Madam Ee was selling then.

'I was shocked that my wife and Rizal were still together,' he said.

Ker said he started tailing his wife in 2005 and noted that she would go up to MrMohd Rizal's flat and stay for a few hours.

When she came back down, sometimes her hair was wet, he said, adding that she would often return home only around midnight.

NP_IMAGES_VCCHOP2.jpg

'I was very upset because he disturbed my family.'

At that time, he said Madam Ee became increasingly 'cold' towards him.

The court heard that Ker quarrelled often with his wife in 2006.

Begged

He said he knelt before her twice to beg her to remain with the family, but she was 'quiet' and 'nonchalant'.

Asked why he wanted Madam Ee back, Ker said that it was more for his three young children.

He started going for counselling alone that year at the Pasir Ris family service centre because he was 'very troubled', he said.

Heartbroken, he left for Batam to work from November 2006 until April last year. During that time, he was in Singapore only from Fridays to Mondays.

On 19 Jan 2007, a Friday, he saw Mr Mohd Rizal hugging Madam Ee in Pasir Ris Park, but they left when they saw him, he told the court.

In March 2007, Madam Ee filed for divorce, which Ker did not contest. But they continued living in the same flat.

On 21 Jun last year, Ker said Madam Ee came home drunk and failed to open the door. When his children opened the door, they saw their mother leaning against the corridor parapet.

When Ker rushed out and saw Mr Mohd Rizal downstairs, he said he shouted at him: 'Why you always bring other people's wife go and play?'

He said Mr Mohd Rizal waved at him to 'come down and fight'.

'My mind was blank. I did not know what I was doing. I just kept thinking that he broke up my family,' Ker said.

Halfway down, topless and shoeless, he said he saw Mr Mohd Rizal holding a wooden plank.

Recalling how he had been assaulted twice by Mr Mohd Rizal, Ker said he felt a need to protect himself. He ran back home to grab a chopper from the kitchen.

His children were crying and shouting, and Madam Ee was shouting as she tried to stop him.

Struggled

Ker said that as he struggled free from her grasp, she fell onto the TV console, shattering the glass.

He then rushed downstairs and was met halfway by Mr Mohd Rizal, who 'poked' him with the wooden plank, which was about 170cm long.

He said Mr Mohd Rizal hit him seven or eight times and the plank broke as he blocked the blows with the back of his chopper.

He said the fight lasted less than a minute and he later received seven stitches on his right ring finger at Changi General Hospital.

When his lawyer, Ms Diana Foo, asked if he had intended to hurt Mr Mohd Rizal, Ker said no.

'If I did, I would have taken the chopper the first time I went down. His injuries seemed to have not much to do with my chopper,' he said.

Earlier yesterday, the court heard that Mr Mohd Rizal suffered a 5cm superficial cut on his left scalp and a bruise on his left elbow.

The trial continues.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IN THE DOCK

KER Ah Tee faces one charge of voluntarily causing hurt for allegedly using a chopper to hurt Mr Mohd Rizal Abdullah on his forehead, right cheek and right index finger.

If convicted, Ker could be jailed up to seven years, fined or caned.

Last edited:

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,208039,00.html?

David V Goliath Trial
Ker couldn't say the 'S' word
By Vivien Chan

July 18, 2009

NP_IMAGES_VCDAVID17.jpg

TNP GRAPHICS: TEOH YI CHIE, TNP PICTURES: GAVIN FOO

HE HAD accused his wife of cheating on him.

But he could not bring himself to say out loud that he thought she was having sex with another man.

During the fifth day of the David v Goliath trial yesterday, Ker Ah Tee, 45, appeared embarrassed when he was repeatedly asked to explain what he believed his wife was doing in Mr Mohd Rizal Abdullah's flat.

The 1.6m-tall Ker, a technician, is accused of using a chopper to attack the 1.8m-tall Mr Mohd Rizal, 54, an operations manager, on 21 Jun last year.

He noted that his wife, administrative assistant Shirley Ee, 44, would go up to Mr Mohd Rizal's flat and stay for three to four hours each time. Sometimes, she would come down with her hair wet.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Isaac Tan asked Ker what he thought Madam Ee had been doing with Mr Mohd Rizal when he saw her coming down with her hair wet.

Ker frowned and replied: 'You tell me, two persons in a house for...'

District Judge Sarjit Singh interrupted and said: 'No, we're asking you what you think. What do you think?'

Judge Singh then repeated Mr Tan's question.

Sounding vexed, Ker replied: 'What can they do upstairs? Don't need me to spell it out.'

Mr Tan swiftly said matter-of-factly: 'No, we do.'

Ker then lowered his head and mumbled in Hokkien to the court interpreter: 'They must be having sex.'

When Mr Tan asked him how he felt about it, Ker said: 'Of course, I felt uncomfortable. As a husband, you witness your wife going to someone's house for three to four hours. Don't you feel terrible?'

He added that he also felt angry and betrayed.

Ker explained that he did not go up and knock on Mr Mohd Rizal's door to confront the duo because he 'did not want to blow up the matter' for his family's sake.

It was the second time yesterday that Ker offered that explanation. The first time, Mr Tan asked Ker why he had not reported to the police that Mr Mohd Rizal had 'brutally struck' him in the face and caused him to lose two teeth, as he had claimed.

Ker answered: 'I have three children who are still very young. Therefore, I had no intention to blow up the matter.'

As Mr Tan continued his cross-examination yesterday, Ker squinted at him frequently before turning to listen intently to his interpreter.

Ker gave his account of what happened on 21 Jun.

After he saw Mr Mohd Rizal at the foot of his block, Ker shouted at him: 'Why you always bring other people's wife go out and play?'

Mr Tan asked if Ker was angry as he shouted.

Ker admitted that he hated Mr Mohd Rizal.

He said that Mr Mohd Rizal had raised his right hand and beckoned to him, challenging him to 'come down and fight'. Ker dashed down, but halfway down, he saw Mr Mohd Rizal with a 'wooden pole'.

'I saw the wooden pole and I felt threatened. Therefore, I dashed up, went back home, pushed the door of Shirley's room.

'I asked Shirley, 'Why did you bring a man home? Don't you feel shameful?' I then went to grab a chopper,' said Ker.

He added that Madam Ee and his children tried to stop him by grabbing him, but he struggled free.

When Mr Tan suggested that Ker could have simply closed and locked the door if he felt threatened, Ker said: 'Are you trying to ask me that if I just close the door, I'll be safe?'

He told the DPP: 'The incident did not happen to you, you'd not be able to understand how I felt then. It's not a matter of closing the door and things will be fine.'

He added that the thought of closing and locking the door did not cross his mind then.

The trial continues today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ABOUT THE CASE

On 20 Jun, Mr Mohd Rizal was walking Madam Shirley Ee home after 11pm when Ker accused them of having an affair. Ker allegedly attacked MrMohd Rizal with a chopper.

Ker Ah Tee faces one charge of voluntarily causing hurt for allegedly using a chopper to hurt Mr Mohd Rizal Abdullah on his forehead, right cheek and right index finger.

If convicted, Ker could be jailed up to seven years, fined or caned.

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,208038,00.html?

David V Goliath Trial
Height test in court shows...
July 18, 2009

DPP Isaac Tan carried out a short experiment on the accused, Ker Ah Tee, yesterday afternoon.

Earlier in the trial, Ker's lawyer, Miss Diana Foo, had suggested that the 1.6m-tall Ker, being about 20cm shorter than Mr Mohd Rizal Abdullah, could not have hit the latter's head with a chopper.

DPP: 'Your height is 160cm, Mr Ker?'

Ker: Around there.

DPP: We have established that Mohd Rizal is 180cm, a difference of 20cm to Mr Ker. Mr Ker, are you right or left handed?

Ker: Right-handed.

Mr Tan asked the court to allow Ker to stand up and stretch out his right arm upwards.

Ker, looking unsure of what was going on, looked at Miss Foo.

Miss Foo looked at District Judge Sarjit Singh, who allowed the experiment to be carried out.

Ker followed Mr Tan's instructions.

With a measuring tape, the Investigating Officer (IO) measured Ker's height from his feet to the tip of his balled-up fist, as he stretched his arm upwards.

Ker looked a little confused.

'190 cm,' the IO told the court.

Mr Tan then asked Miss Foo if she would like to check and confirm the reading.

Miss Foo walked over to her client, and witnessed the IO measure his height with his outstretched arm about three times.

The IO and Miss Foo then had a short discussion, before the IO declared: '187.5 cm'.