• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

原来pak game also and pak until got 春天

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Once a snooker player, this Singaporean will now compete in Street Fighter at the Asian Games​

BookmarkShare

ADVERTISEMENT​

Singapore

Once a snooker player, this Singaporean will now compete in Street Fighter at the Asian Games​

In the first of three features on athletes who will feature in Hangzhou, CNA's Matthew Mohan speaks to a man whose journey has taken him from the arcade to the Asian Games.
Once a snooker player, this Singaporean will now compete in Street Fighter at the Asian Games

Brandon Chia will represent Singapore in Street Fighter V at the upcoming Asian Games. (Photo: CNA/Matthew Mohan)

Matthew Mohan
Matthew Mohan
10 Sep 2023 06:00AM
BookmarkShare

SINGAPORE: Brandon Chia's journey to the Asian Games began many years ago at a Tampines Mall arcade.

While his mother shopped for groceries every Friday, Chia would get S$5 to spend. And there was one game that caught his eye - Street Fighter Alpha 2.

"I wasn't good (at Street Fighter), so S$5 was sufficient to survive an hour," 30-year-old Chia recalled.

"It was just something that appealed to me - that it's a very different game compared to every other game. It stood out and it was very unique to me," he said.

As arcades soon began to enforce stricter rules with regards to children on the premises, Chia turned to playing Street Fighter at home instead.

"As far as games go, I was never really one to play excessively. Even back when I was a kid, it was just playing (for) an hour or two," recalled Chia, who will be Singapore's sole e-sports representative at this month's Asian Games.

E-sports will feature as a medal event at the Asian Games for the first time in Hangzhou. A total of seven games will be included and Chia will compete in Street Fighter V.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Despite Chia's interest in Street Fighter, a different hobby would soon occupy his time.

In secondary school, he tried out and was selected for the snooker co-curricular activity. As the years went on, he found himself improving.

Chia recalls winning four out of the five local junior competitions when he was 18, and doing well in open category tournaments as well. He went on to represent Singapore in Under-21 events at the Asian and world level.

But in his words, this was when Chia "peaked".

"Unfortunately for me, I feel that I peaked too close to (enlistment in) army and because of army constraints, I couldn't perform to the level that I wanted," he explained.

"I was deteriorating a lot faster than I wanted to. It wasn't good for me mentally. I'm not having fun, I'm not enjoying (it). At the end of the day, to me, it's not all about winning, but it's more about self-satisfaction."

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkies always shine in bo-liao and meaningless activities and our MSM love hyping about them. What a fucked-up cuntry we're living in. :cautious:

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies always shine in bo-liao and meaningless activities and our MSM love hyping about them. What a fucked-up cuntry we're living in. :cautious:
If we dun Fcuk up gao li gao li, how to justify the need to be inclusive and open door big big deal woh.... Remember more and more sinki has mental illness problem