• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

‘Not Ashamed At All’ – M’sian Man Earns RM8K As A Cleaner In S’pore, Says His Job Is A Blessing

whistling

Stupidman
Loyal

‘Not Ashamed At All’ – M’sian Man Earns RM8K As A Cleaner In S’pore, Says His Job Is A Blessing​

"I used to feel ashamed because of the stigma surrounding this job."
Jann Firdaus
JANN FIRDAUS

SEPTEMBER 5, 2024

'not ashamed at all' - m'sian man earns rm8k as a cleaner in s'pore, says his job is a blessing | weirdkaya
Cover image via NSTCanva

At just 25 years old, Shahrul Nizam Suhaimi has faced the kind of stigma that many might shy away from, yet he remains proud and fulfilled in his role as a cleaner in Singapore.​

For nearly three years, Shahrul has commuted daily from Gelang Patah, Johor, to Singapore to support his family, despite the condescending remarks some have made about his profession.

M’sian Man Earns RM8K As A Cleaner In S’pore, Says His Job Is A Blessing

Like many, Shahrul initially worried about how others would perceive his job. Cleaning, after all, is often viewed through a lens of social stigma.

'not ashamed at all' - m'sian man earns rm8k as a cleaner in s'pore, says his job is a blessing - shahrul nizam suhaimi
Photo via NST

But in the face of these judgments, Shahrul found contentment. His decision to take up the job was not a result of settling but rather an opportunity to build a future.
Having left his previous role as a restaurant assistant, he took the position as a cleaner to save for his wedding last year, viewing it as the best option available at the time, reported NST.

“I previously ran a food business, but it didn’t succeed, so I decided to try my luck in Singapore, where my sister-in-law also works. I worked in a restaurant before quitting and searched for various jobs without success. After being unemployed for three to four months, I was offered a job as a cleaner.”

I used to feel ashamed‘​

He admits that at first, he felt embarrassed about the role.
“I used to feel ashamed because of the stigma surrounding this job, especially since I’m still young,” Shahrul says.
But over time, he embraced his new reality. The pay was fair, and it allowed him to support his wife and child. For Shahrul, the job wasn’t about status, but about providing for his family and staying true to his values.

Through TikTok, Shahrul has shared his journey, posting about his daily experiences as a cleaner. His posts have garnered attention, but not all of it has been positive.

People don’t know that I’ve tried many times and gone to interviews, but it wasn’t meant to be‘​

Some questioned why he would work as a cleaner, especially given his academic achievements—Shahrul earned 5As in his Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) exams eight years ago.
“Some say, ‘Oh, he’s just a cleaner’, but when they find out I work in Singapore, they start asking about job openings.
But Shahrul stands firm in his decision, explaining that despite his efforts to find other jobs, things didn’t work out.

“Others question why I haven’t looked for a different job or a government position. But as long as my income is halal, I don’t mind. People don’t know that I’ve tried many times and gone to interviews, but it wasn’t meant to be,” he says.

He finds respect in his workplace​

He sees his job as a blessing, an opportunity to support his family and even send pocket money to his parents.

“I appreciate the opportunities Allah has given me. Although I couldn’t continue my studies due to financial problems, I’m grateful that I can now support my family and give my parents pocket money.”

Shahrul’s daily routine involves leaving home at 5 a.m. and travelling two hours to Singapore, where his tasks include cleaning office spaces, toilets, gyms, and even taking out the rubbish.
Despite the hard work, he finds respect in his workplace.

“People here never look down on us. They share food, give tips, and always greet us,” he says with pride.

While some may continue to judge Shahrul for his line of work, he remains undeterred. In Singapore, his salary, including overtime, adds up to SGD2,400 (RM8,005.80) a month—a figure that allows him to take care of his family and live comfortably.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Warms the cockles of my heart to see that we can help our poor juihu friends….

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some say, ‘Oh, he’s just a cleaner’, but when they find out I work in Singapore, they start asking about job openings.

Thise pple very hypocrite leh.. At first look down cleaner, then ask about job opening. Cleaner is an honest job..

tobelightlight

Alfrescian
Loyal
“I appreciate the opportunities Allah has given me. Although I couldn’t continue my studies due to financial problems, I’m grateful that I can now support my family and give my parents pocket money.”
Allah didn't give you opportunity. You give yourself opportunity and the sg government give you opportunity. Dun get brainwash by your religion.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is why umno should take over the island. Cleaner job only for bangala and indons if under umno rule.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's wrong with cleaner. I find is more respectable than those food delivery m&ds.
He has an edge being young and energetic can finish his task fast and exercise.
I give him a thumbs up.

sbfuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's wrong with cleaner. I find is more respectable than those food delivery m&ds.
He has an edge being young and energetic can finish his task fast and exercise.
I give him a thumbs up.
Much much more respectable than gansiokbin commute to be a chicken.
Buy condos and condos also no meaning.

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you must give it to the mutts...they are just so easily contended. perhaps thats why they are happy go lucky no stress.
we need more of them for Grab deliveries.

Willamshakespear

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's an honest job, or do others prefer him to turn desperately to crime, which does not pay?

Glad that he appreciates our Country & the opportunities we Singaporeans offer to fellow Humans....had other nations done as much to uplift citizens lives, let alone Humankind???

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Warms the cockles of my heart to see that we can help our poor juihu friends….
He made the right move to work in SG. More than 1/3 of employed university grads in Malaysia are in semi-skilled and low-skilled jobs, according to the latest report on the labour market by Statistics Malaysia. The semi-skilled include clerical support staff; service and sales employees; skilled agricultural, forestry, livestock and fishery workers; craft and related tradesmen and plant and machine operators and assemblers. The low-skilled are those in elementary jobs. The Dept of Statistics Malaysia labour market review for the first 1/4 of 2024 report said underemployment in Malaysia increased from Jan to Mar 2024 as skills-related and time-related underemployment both grew.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's wrong with cleaner. I find is more respectable than those food delivery m&ds. He has an edge being young and energetic can finish his task fast and exercise. I give him a thumbs up.
I have watched too many videos of PHV drivers and deliverymen behaving badly by endangering other road users; stealing packages, laundry and shoes from outside homes; consuming food and drinks they are delivering; defecating outside HDB units; spitting at public places etc.