• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
i am curious.. with all the universities coming into educity, how much would it cost to read, say, a business degree from the university of newcastle? would it cost the same as what one is going to be paying if he were to do it in the uk itself?

worst case scenario.. my kids are unable to 'squeeze' into local uni, and i cannot afford to send them to uk.. educity is probably the next most financially viable option?

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about Australia?

i am curious.. with all the universities coming into educity, how much would it cost to read, say, a business degree from the university of newcastle? would it cost the same as what one is going to be paying if he were to do it in the uk itself?

worst case scenario.. my kids are unable to 'squeeze' into local uni, and i cannot afford to send them to uk.. educity is probably the next most financially viable option?

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
How about Australia?

over 15yrs ago, i was there.. when the currency was weaker than/around sg.. together with living expenses, it costed about S$30k annually
now annual S$50k perhaps?... just do your math the $$$ required to complete a whole 3-yr non-engineering degree (or 5yr medical degree) :eek:
and i got 2 kids... $ka ching$

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
30k 15 years ago. Low tech low quality etc. 15 years later, better studying environment, quality uni, high tech etc ... And after 15 years of inflation and competition, it's only 50k. Good deal to me lol

Anyway, that's one reason why u r moving to JB right? Improve life and give quality education to the kids at the same time ... :smile: sounds all okay leh :smile:

over 15yrs ago, i was there.. when the currency was weaker than/around sg.. together with living expenses, it costed about S$30k annually
now annual S$50k perhaps?... just do your math the $$$ required to complete a whole 3-yr non-engineering degree (or 5yr medical degree) :eek:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some university students said most of the foreign students study in Singapore are on Singapore govt scholarship.. Rather than develop locally, import is faster in seeing result... The new water really kill our fengshui... All the problems come after we have new water..

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
30k 15 years ago. Low tech low quality etc. 15 years later, better studying environment, quality uni, high tech etc ... And after 15 years of inflation and competition, it's only 50k. Good deal to me lol

Anyway, that's one reason why u r moving to JB right? Improve life and give quality education to the kids at the same time ... :smile: sounds all okay leh :smile:

been out of touch. but also looking at the exchange rate.. i won't be surprised that S$50k/yr is probably the bare minimum now.
my children will be at uni age in another 15yrs.. god knows how much would it shoot up to :*:

yes.. jb is a part of the plan.. with all the foreign embracing policies by the sg gov, i got to have contingency 'what-if' plans.
not sure how much these uk uni in jb is going to cost...

greddy88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some university students said most of the foreign students study in Singapore are on Singapore govt scholarship.. Rather than develop locally, import is faster in seeing result... The new water really kill our fengshui... All the problems come after we have new water..

import is the fastest short-cut for the all-important gdp. they just cannot see and understand people are suffering *shake head*

imo, use new water for industrial use is fine.. but for drinking? crazy.. i have read somewhere that certain hormones exist inside water cannot be filtered..
yes.. in terms of fengshui.. i also think it is a no-no.. recycling waste water around back to drink...the bad 气 all come back :rolleyes:

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal

I guess there is some reason why its built literally right next door. :wink:
I thought newcastle is mainly for medical? Likely will still be cheaper as compared to the UK.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
import is the fastest short-cut for the all-important gdp. they just cannot see and understand people are suffering *shake head*

imo, use new water for industrial use is fine.. but for drinking? crazy.. i have read somewhere that certain hormones exist inside water cannot be filtered..
yes.. in terms of fengshui.. i also think it is a no-no.. recycling waste water around back to drink...the bad 气 all come back :rolleyes:

Estrogen and actually quite a lot of other stuff as well.

You've probably heard the news that traces of pharmaceutical drugs have been found in the water supplies of over 41 million Americans. This news is alarming to say the least and many people are jumping on the bandwagon and buying home water purifiers in order to protect themselves and their families. The problem is that not enough people are looking closely at what kinds of purifiers they are buying. Not all home water purifiers are capable of removing pharmaceuticals from tap water. So does reverse osmosis remove pharmaceuticals from water?

Reverse osmosis is quickly losing popularity because it is not capable of removing synthetic chemical contaminants, including pharmaceuticals in water supply. It helps to understand the basics of how reverse osmosis works in order to understand why that is. During reverse osmosis, water is exposed under pressure to a porous membrane. Inorganic chemicals and minerals, which are molecularly larger than water, don't pass through the membrane. Synthetic chemicals like pharmaceutical drugs, which are molecularly smaller than water, pass through the membrane along with the water.

So does reverse osmosis remove pharmaceuticals from water? It doesn't and for that reason a reverse osmosis system must be used in conjunction with a carbon filter. For that reason many people are skipping reverse osmosis altogether and buying carbon filters. Carbon filters are recognized as being the best technology available in removing both organic and synthetic chemicals from tap water. As an added benefit, carbon filters do not remove the natural trace minerals in tap water like reverse osmosis does.

In spite of what the government and water providers tell us, we do need to be worried about pharmaceuticals in water supply. Exposure to pharmaceuticals, even in small concentrations, can have harmful effects on our health in the long run. Scientists started to worry once they found feminized male fish in bodies of water around the world. These fish were exposed to estrogen-like substances in the water.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1583842

typh00n

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with you, Singapore has all the bad feng shui.
Especially the Marina Barrage which blocks the mouth of Singapore River (Dragon's mouth).
All around the island the river mouths are dammed.
No more feng shui for Singapore. :*:

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like that even if we have to buy parangs and Kuan daos, brave all the risks of robberies and whatever we heard all the time, we still have to move acrosss the causeway.. Water tanks got dead bodies, reservoirs got dead bodies... And drink toilet water everyday... Got to run fast dude...

Estrogen and actually quite a lot of other stuff as well.

You've probably heard the news that traces of pharmaceutical drugs have been found in the water supplies of over 41 million Americans. This news is alarming to say the least and many people are jumping on the bandwagon and buying home water purifiers in order to protect themselves and their families. The problem is that not enough people are looking closely at what kinds of purifiers they are buying. Not all home water purifiers are capable of removing pharmaceuticals from tap water. So does reverse osmosis remove pharmaceuticals from water?

Reverse osmosis is quickly losing popularity because it is not capable of removing synthetic chemical contaminants, including pharmaceuticals in water supply. It helps to understand the basics of how reverse osmosis works in order to understand why that is. During reverse osmosis, water is exposed under pressure to a porous membrane. Inorganic chemicals and minerals, which are molecularly larger than water, don't pass through the membrane. Synthetic chemicals like pharmaceutical drugs, which are molecularly smaller than water, pass through the membrane along with the water.

So does reverse osmosis remove pharmaceuticals from water? It doesn't and for that reason a reverse osmosis system must be used in conjunction with a carbon filter. For that reason many people are skipping reverse osmosis altogether and buying carbon filters. Carbon filters are recognized as being the best technology available in removing both organic and synthetic chemicals from tap water. As an added benefit, carbon filters do not remove the natural trace minerals in tap water like reverse osmosis does.

In spite of what the government and water providers tell us, we do need to be worried about pharmaceuticals in water supply. Exposure to pharmaceuticals, even in small concentrations, can have harmful effects on our health in the long run. Scientists started to worry once they found feminized male fish in bodies of water around the world. These fish were exposed to estrogen-like substances in the water.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/1583842

Last edited by a moderator:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Like that even if we have to buy parangs and Kuan daos, brave all the risks of robberies and whatever we heard all the time, we still have to move acrosss the causeway.. Water tanks got dead bodies, reservoirs got dead bodies... And drink toilet water everyday... Got to run fast dude...
QUOTE]

I am sure they will test the water and it probably won't be so bad but we just wouldn't know 100% so just get a filter for peace of mind. Removed the filter one time, so much gunk inside so since then have been using it in both SG and Johore.

Few years back, a few guys from Japan came here(SG) for work and i remembered they told me they tested the water in the place they rented. Then they went to buy Osim filters. I went to their place and saw the filters all over, maybe because its an older condo? In the end, got interested and they showed me some articles. I went straight to buy filters that evening. Even until now, back in SG, i have filters in my taps that are used for drinking.

Bro arsenal, don't need to. All my stuff are rusty and dusty from hanging there. Mainly for sports purposes do i still take them out for cleaning and dusting once in a while. Definitely don't need a guandao, if really need to, then we shouldn't even be here. There are many ways to protect oneself using innocent, every day objects.

Just some basic common sense is good enough. These days, even ATMs in SG, i notice a lot of foreign workers just loitering around in the evenings so we need to remain vigilant wherever we are just in case.

Last edited:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I agree with you, Singapore has all the bad feng shui.
Especially the Marina Barrage which blocks the mouth of Singapore River (Dragon's mouth).
All around the island the river mouths are dammed.
No more feng shui for Singapore. :*:

Its truly a case of catch 22, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't :P (apologies for the pun)

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Most people still don't know or likely will try to deny this, there are still more than 2-3 places in SG even armed guards do not dare go at night after certain hours to check on ATM fault, cartridge issues, etc. Thats why low crime doesn't mean no crime, just do your part and/or call the police straightaway if you see anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.