• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abugumgum

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with you on this. :smile:

when we go we should just go, why leave anything behind, dat's how i feel. i don't wanna force my afterdeath obligations on anyone. also did anyone want to have kids so they can ask them to visit us when we die? might as well do all the good things when alive. after death it's a different issue already, who knows we really become spirits.

mika14

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi,

anyone know in JB where got a lot of IT shops?
was thinking of printing my DVD sticker labels from jpg files in JB.
also is it possible to scan hardcopies books here to PDF files? consisting of few hundred pages ... in JB?

thanks!

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will update on the capsicum seeds next week.

Just checked with my mum. She has not yet planted the seeds.

Possibly plant them next weekend.

i got the seeds from one of the nurseries.

If i am not wrong they are of the hybrid variety.

How? Found your capsicums? Can share more where to get the seeds and the growing process? Can grow in a pot?

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes you are right.

No offence to anyones religious sensitivities/practices.

I feel that the ashes should be dispersed at sea (atleast in my case).

Atleast then our kids wont feel the pressure of having to visit our niches.

I think whatever our kids wanna do for us they must do it when we are alive... Not when we are dead and gone...!!

[QUOTE Bigfatfish when i die i want everything to disappear from the face of this earth./// Analytical Professor;795170] Scattering ashes at sea is good right? At least then no 30 years problem and secondly our kids will not be forced to come and visit the niches.:wink:

With respect to everyone else's view, religious or emotional, I have never understood this need to preserve ashes. Yes, respect for the body of any human being and certainly not to allow disrespect to the corpse in any way, specially mutilation. But I was a witness to my mother's annual visit to my father's grave and the deep sorrow each visit would produce for days.

I don't think any religion teaches that any part of the spirit or soul still resides in the remains - whether we bury, cremate, cover with goldleaf or allow birds to pick the corpse clean.

Nor do any of the religions teach that prayers said at the graveside/halls of niches/family altar penetrates and benefits the actual ashes or bones of the dear one who has moved on. Surely it is for the soul or spirit of the loved one.

I was amazed to hear, some years ago, all about the different prices for the niches: the higher up ones give a better view, light and airiness and the lower and cheaper ones are too close to people's feet etc etc It dawned on me then how much money can be made from this from people who are grieving (and grieving in advance!), and how much better use that money could be put right now to feeding the poor, clothing and housing the desperate, to scientific research into horrible diseases, educating children and ignorant adults [who want education but could never afford it], cleaning up the planet, preserving the rainforest and the seas, helping in so many ways living people in need. And if not, to having a good time with that money while there is still life in you. At least donate the money to groups of religious, nuns or monks, who will pray for the departed soul - it will keep the temple or church in repair and provide them with sustenance while they are doing the praying for you, you lazy sod.

My same mother, when asked about the distribution of her personal effects, said this most liberating thing: Oh do what you like dear, I'll be dead and gone!

I mean no disrespect to anyone else's views on how best to commemorate the loss of a dearly loved one.[/QUOTE]

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought i was right with the usage of complimentary as in ...

"When you write you give us loads of information on gardening... The formal english that comes along is complementary"

Am i right? or Wrong:confused::confused:

The example you gave about the wine and oysters thing is absolutely right.

Hmmm this is nice.... I am learning..

Thank you mallow..

I need to brush up my english. :smile:

....When compared mine is like bushes n shrubs here n there. Tiny piece of land...No grass at all.... A guy who saw it called it BARREN.

AT LEAST YOU HAVE LAND! I wouldn't do it, but if you paid a landscape designer, you would be amazed at how she/he could transform any piece of land into a lush haven.

Our library has many books to borrow on landscaping, gardening, gardens-in-small-places, gardening in pots, vegetable and fruit gardens, planting a herb garden, orchids for absolute beginners etc. Do make full use of an excellent library system.

Who says you have to have grass? Big nuisance unless you have pearl grass, and even then ...
Just put down some paving stones and 'terraces' on either side and you have plenty of growing space. Go upwards to hang pots, whether by some wrought iron curlies or a few strong bakau wood poles [mangrove] to which things can be tied or hung.

Just decide what you actually want, plan it out, and take your own sweet time ... surely you have no one to impress? It's your land, Squire, and you will live as you choose.

erm ... complimentary ...? To complement is to add to what is oreddy there eg a crisp[ white wine to complement the plump oysters.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
The small piece of land thats attached to my home comes with primarily clay soil

No wonder plants dun grow in them

The soil is clayey and when dry as hard as bricks.

Hardly drains water.

Now when i visit the nurseries they have black soil/ red soil and compost.

The guy told me to usually use compost and red soil and mix...

What is the ratio like?

And i dunno what black soil is for apart from using it to grow cotton and jute (if i remember my geo right)

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought i was right with the usage of complimentary as in ..."When you write you give us loads of information on gardening... The formal english that comes along is complementary" Am i right? or Wrong:confused::confused: The example you gave about the wine and oysters thing is absolutely right.

I now know what you mean, but it is still not quite correct, because 'complementary' would mean that the two things make up a whole eg I bought a bag of a new variety of oranges and was given a complementary gift of a new type of hand juicer. We could debate whether the phrase with 'gift' is redundant, of course. Cannot at this hour think of an exact word but what you might have said is 'a bonus' or 'an additional gift'.

Those in Singapore whose English is a disaster do not know it and will never ask for help even if they did. Why should they? Almost full employment and as long as you are mostly understood you are not likely to be sacked. And you do know whose fault all this is...?

mallow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oic Broccoli is temperate veg. The organic section at Jusco that sells the veg grown in Malaysia does sell broccoli leh, certified organic some more, wonder how they managed to grow?!

Do ask where exactly in Malaysia the 'organic' broccoli is grown. Most likely somewhere like Cameron Highlands which has much cooler weather, such that even strawberries grow well.

People here in Johor have successfully grown grapes! - who said not to try?

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oic Broccoli is temperate veg. The organic section at Jusco that sells the veg grown in Malaysia does sell broccoli leh, certified organic some more, wonder how they managed to grow?!

Do ask where exactly in Malaysia the 'organic' broccoli is grown. Most likely somewhere like Cameron Highlands which has much cooler weather, such that even strawberries grow well.

Hi, just checked up their website, their farm is located in Kluang, Johor. That means got hope to try growing broccoli :smile:

yonglip

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi guys

i have just bought at Bestari Heights...i have been looking around JB houses for some time aleardy (easily 5 years and more)...you name it, i have practically seen it all and finally decided on BH where both my wife and I deemed it as OK. This is my take on some of the other developments we have seen from causeway to 2nd link....i know some bros here stay at these places..no offence intended..just my personal opinion..welcome detractors..

Nusa Idaman - going back to Sing have to use Bukit Indah interchange as the highway can go in but no exit?..or did i miss it?..sizeable malay populace which means mosque will be built. the mosque is in fact located near to the present sales office..in between precint 8 and 5. current launches at precint 7 unit is small ~2,100 sqft..quality so so..ceramics all round. psf high. plus point is located next to nature reserve. but in JB context, hesitate to walk in such a reserve.

Adda Heights - on the right of N-S highway. with EDL, location is sweet. easy in/out from dato onn exit. houses looked nice..however immediate amenities lacking..current development reaching 700K..a bit pricey.

Setia Tropika - on the left of N-S...need to make U turn further ahead to get back to Sing compared with Adda Heights. getting ex..in fact setia houses have becomed more ex..amenities beginning to take off..however it took Bukit Indah close to 10 years to develop to where it is, I dont know how long Tropika will take. although will be close to future train link station to Sing. present kempas station expected to be expanded to central station..

Bukit Indah - Boom town charlie...took more than 10 years to 'wang'..ball started rolling 4-5 years ago..but once started, no stopping it now. in fact area around tesco/jusco will be further developed with more shops/cinema/office etc...add that to nearby Bestari's stretches of shop units, it will be the golden belt of JB. If any one of you believe in Fengshui, the Qi there along this stretch is super 'wang'..dont believe just drive along this stretch...you can literally feel it. Or maybe is the EMF from the powerlines..hahaha. coupled with nearness to coastal highway...what more needs to be said. Unfortunately, current launches unit too small...below 2000 sqft...also samma ceramic..see already sian. psf bad. bigger units too ex..looking at their quality and size, not keen to spend that kind of money.

Desa tebrau/Austin Heights - first link. too near to power lines/generator...within 300m...next to a condo (lakeview) that cost around RM100K+ per unit. With such cheap prices, it will attract the wrong crowd. prices for current launches are still reasonable. new shops opening up along setia indah stretch..nice amenities all round. ikea may pop up here beside Tesco/jusco...god knows when. the 'Qi' here feels dated.

Horizon Hills - many completed terraces of earlier launches selling at ridiculous prices in the resale market. wonder how many Singaporeans kanna chopped carrot for that kind of quality. few m'sians will pay that kind of money for ceramic all round houses. daily amenities within development lacking,..need to go Bukit indah for retail therapy. Security tight though...strictly no entry for outsiders within the precint. seen their condo there also..quality improving.

Setia Eco - one way in/out. Huge powerlines pylon litters the road towards the place...current launches are ex for a place that can only boast to be close to nature.

no one development is perfect..The concept of a perfect development or house is elusive. In fact, Bros ploughing through this forum to search for the 'perfect' development will be disappointed.

that said, few things attracted my wife and I to BI

1. 80x80 homo tiles for first floor. Most developments we seen for that kind of price range (below RM600K terrace) only give smaller homo tiles (60x60) or worse ceramic.
2. timber flooring on 2nd floor + staircase. yes..staircase also cover in timber laminate.
3. walkable to Giant (approx 500m from the guard house)..can cycle for those who are more adventurous. in fact will bring over my extra bicycles from Sing..haha. walk a bit more to tesco..stronger legs,...can reach jusco. more importantly allows me the option to use CW3 in/out Sing...especially for my parents who do not need to wait for my car and come in only on weekends...yes, i plan to use it as a weekend home first with a view as a retirement home in the future..hopefully.
4. integrated house alarm..save me money to install...may decide not to install grills even..however still feel that g&g + alarm + grills + panic button = better zzzzzz in JB.
5. perimeter CCTV all round with nepalese guards. but notice these guards both malay and english got problem..haha..by the way, nepalese are hindus.
6. some distance from power lines (approx 500-600m)..the power lines are the mid/small type..still acceptable. for bros looking to avoid EMFs, research has indicated EMF from powerlines weakens exponentially with distance..anything more than 400m..the strength is similar to background EMF emmitted from home wirings/electrical appliances etc..in fact my wife is super sensitive to EMF. when she was at desa tebrau looking at some terraces there, she complained about headace cos the lines were like 100m from the houses. she was ok at BH.
7. highway is about 100m from development. we bought a unit that is a bit inside. noise level no prob. in fact noise decibles travels upwards..i.e. why in Sing, for those staying at higher floors and close to highways, it can get quite noisy...for those who bought Setia's sky suite and facing the highway,...aircon will be your best friend every night.
8. 3000 sqft decent size built up...on 2400 sqft land (32x75)..mine is intermediate with 10 ft land at the side...usable..would have preferred a corner for more running space for my kids, but samma sold out..SHIT. in fact the 3000 sqft is the smallest in the whole precint..there are semi ds that are more than 4000 sqft built up. i am the poor chap that is living among richer folks...hahaha. at least the crooks will not target the smallest unit in the precint.
9. RM560K. within my budget. for the quality and location, wife say "BUY LOR".

Welcome naysayers, detractors and well-wishers alike.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
No no... Dun get me wrong.... No intention to debate with u at all.

When you are large hearted to correct me and teach me i should accept it gracefully n be thankful..

Thanks mallow..

Please feel free to correct me anytime.

Im only too glad to learn.

Thanks again.

I thought i was right with the usage of complimentary as in ..."When you write you give us loads of information on gardening... The formal english that comes along is complementary" Am i right? or Wrong:confused::confused: The example you gave about the wine and oysters thing is absolutely right.

I now know what you mean, but it is still not quite correct, because 'complementary' would mean that the two things make up a whole eg I bought a bag of a new variety of oranges and was given a complementary gift of a new type of hand juicer. We could debate whether the phrase with 'gift' is redundant, of course. Cannot at this hour think of an exact word but what you might have said is 'a bonus' or 'an additional gift'.

Those in Singapore whose English is a disaster do not know it and will never ask for help even if they did. Why should they? Almost full employment and as long as you are mostly understood you are not likely to be sacked. And you do know whose fault all this is...?

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
M'sia's Iskandar plan may aid S'pore housing market
12 AUGUST 2011 , BY CHANNEL NEWS ASIA

Malaysia's ambitious Iskandar development in southern Johor may have a spin-off effect that would eventually aid Singapore's crowded housing market.

It may even help cool prices, as foreign investment meets increased demand for services and homes.

A plan for seamless connectivity from Johor Baru, Malaysia, to Woodlands in Singapore by 2018, is an attractive allure for investors.

Funds are pouring in, in the hope the development will yield economic benefit.

Singapore has invested some US$153 million (RM 463 million) into the services, education and health sector of the Iskandar Malaysia development, and analysts say further down the line, this will have a positive impact on the Singapore economy.

CIMB Research economist Song Seng Wun said: "If we do have at our doorstep an increased pool of qualified knowledge based labour force, we may be able to tap on that pool, bring them to Singapore and add to Singapore's productivity growth prospect, going forward.

"So if those two investments in those two areas were to work out over the near term, I think it could lead to more significant investment from the Singapore side.

"So I think while the outlook is positive, there are still perhaps many hurdles along the way before we can say we are going to get a significant upgrade with regard to property being moved to a higher plain in Johor.

"That could mean the pressure on property in Singapore could be alleviated because there is certainly now a much more viable option in Johor as a result of the improved communication, logistic network, the whole landscape as an alternative for Singaporeans to base themselves in Johor either for home or for business."

Singapore has already implemented measures to cool booming property prices, and the government may get some help in calming the market, now that the Iskandar project is open for investment.

Credit Suisse analyst Tan Ting Min said Malaysia will benefit from stronger investments from Singapore while Singapore could operate out of Iskandar, which has good infrastructure, and relatively cheaper land and labour.

"Hence, we expect the land price arbitrage to narrow from the current estimated 1-to-16 ratio.

"How quickly this land price arbitrage narrows depends very much on how quickly Singaporeans adopt the idea of moving their manufacturing bases to Johor," Tan added.

"I think we are realistically talking about something that is still in the works, perhaps a decade or more before we can really talk about Johor as a real hinterland," Mr Song said.

KPMG corporate finance partner Vishal Sharma said: "I think in terms of the land price arbitrage I expect you would see the Iskandar land prices going up.

"I don't particularly envisage Singapore land prices coming down so the arbitrage will narrow but I don't think that it is ever going to go away. But yes, I expect that the arbitrage is going to narrow."

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Iskandar M'sia may rival KL properties
12 AUGUST 2011 , BY MALAYSIAN RESERVE

AS PROPERTY prices in Singapore hit their peak, more investors from the Republic are venturing into overseas property, with Kuala Lumpur (KL) as one of their favourite destinations.

However, Khalil Adis, a property expert and regular contributor to HomeGuru, believes there is a limit on how much capital appreciation properties in KL can achieve as the property market has become too saturated." He noted that the next frontier in property investment is Iskandar Malaysia.

Although still a relatively new and untested market, Khalil said, "Iskandar Malaysia will rival Kuala Lumpur and set the benchmark for real estate in Malaysia.’ Many property developers are now acquiring land parcels in Iskandar Malaysia for development and more property launches are also in the pipeline, including the launch of iMedini Residences in Medini North this year and the completion of the new Coastal Highway.

Newcastle University Medicine Malaysia in EduCity has already opened its doors and three more developments Netherlands Maritime Institute of Technology, the International Student Village and a stadium and sports complex are set to open this year.

Next year, Legoland Malaysia will be officially launched, where a MRT (Mass Rapid Transit) station has already been planned next to it, said Khalil.

In addition, the Singapore and Malaysian governments have signed a deal to improve connectivity between Singapore and Iskandar Malaysia, which will boost investors’ confidence.

Come 2018, this region will be buzzing once the planned Rapid Transit System (RTS) between Singapore and Johor Baru, served by a single co-located CIQ (Customs, Immigration and Quarantine) facility, is completed." Recently, Singapore’s Land Transport Authority announced the extension of the country’s East-West MRT line to Tuas, as well as the plan to build a station in Woodlands that will integrate the upcoming Thomson Line with the proposed RTS link between Singapore and Johor Baru.

"This will increase accessibility across the Johor-Singapore Causeway between Tuas, Woodlands and Johor Baru," Khalil said.

With tourism and education as among the key drivers of the region’s economy, the Malaysian government has this time shown a lot more follow through to ensure the success of Iskandar Malaysia.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
During my younger days i enjoyed visiting strawberry farms to pluck strawberries and eat..

Did tht in a couple of countries (not in malaysia tho)

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
All Singaporeans have family members who served NS. She is insulting all of us! As usual PAP has not said a word to scold the foreigners for bad behavour, and foreigners become more & more brazen!

As an active NSman (just sacrificed almost 1 mth of my life last July), I deplore the statement made by the pinoy! Lets see who will be d first to leave at the first sign of trouble and its not gonna be! I will be here to protect my family and Majulah Singapura!!

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats right...,

Just imagine a mums agony whose son is about to enter NS....

This is an issue close to our heart n then after doing all this we get some ordinary clerk to insult us n call us incompetent.[/QUOTE

Not to mention the agony of a Mum who lost her dear child servng the nation...may the soul of the 19yr old cadet specialist who died durng navigation exercise be blessed...

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi everyone here, I have been reading this forum since the time it started, i shared the feeling of each members here and the reasons behind the move to start up alternative homes in JB. Before i continue let me share a bit of myself, i just retire recently after reaching the age of 62. However in 2009 I come to realise that the cost of living is becoming more and more costly beside the crowded MRT, bus and roads. What do we have? i ask myself beside shopping centres and foodcourts, the kids and adults don't have places to go for relaxations and get away from the commercial aspect of city life. the so called quality of life can only be measured here in term of the money you earned and material possessions that so many are so proud of. So in 2009 i make up my mind to do something about it, no point just talk about it with friend and collagues, i when to purchase a house in JB, a cornered unit in Taman Pelangi Indah. I have plans to use the place for retirement and aslo to setup a workshop for my future crafts business and aslo to try my hand on planting some exotics plants with the available land i have. Well i am looking forward to share with this group my plans and progress if anyone is interested. I will sign off here and hope to continue at a later date, good days to all.

Welcome, you would likely be able to provide a different perspective as you are retired.. cheers

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
And this is even more interesting.... We cant cook curry..... Woo hooo....
Outcry against CMC for imposing restrictions on Singapore Indian family eating curry at home

Temasek Review

A massive outcry has erupted in cyberspace over a shocking decision made by the Community Mediation Center (CMC) to impose restrictions on a Singaporean Indian family cooking and eating curry at home following a complaint by their PRC neighbors.
“They said: ‘Can you please do something? Can you don’t cook curry? Can you don’t eat curry?’,” said Madam Marcellina Giam, a Community Mediation Centre mediator. But the Indian family stood firm.

In the end, Mdm Giam got the Indian family to agree to cook curry only when the Chinese family was not home. In return, they wanted their Chinese neighbours to at least give their dish a try.
Win liao.. next time some ang moh says cant stand durians means durians ban in singapore? I thought it is about racial tolerance, curry always smells good to me.. haha

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
[QUOTE Bigfatfish when i die i want everything to disappear from the face of this earth./// Analytical Professor;795170] Scattering ashes at sea is good right? At least then no 30 years problem and secondly our kids will not be forced to come and visit the niches.:wink:

With respect to everyone else's view, religious or emotional, I have never understood this need to preserve ashes. Yes, respect for the body of any human being and certainly not to allow disrespect to the corpse in any way, specially mutilation. But I was a witness to my mother's annual visit to my father's grave and the deep sorrow each visit would produce for days.

I don't think any religion teaches that any part of the spirit or soul still resides in the remains - whether we bury, cremate, cover with goldleaf or allow birds to pick the corpse clean.

Nor do any of the religions teach that prayers said at the graveside/halls of niches/family altar penetrates and benefits the actual ashes or bones of the dear one who has moved on. Surely it is for the soul or spirit of the loved one.

I was amazed to hear, some years ago, all about the different prices for the niches: the higher up ones give a better view, light and airiness and the lower and cheaper ones are too close to people's feet etc etc It dawned on me then how much money can be made from this from people who are grieving (and grieving in advance!), and how much better use that money could be put right now to feeding the poor, clothing and housing the desperate, to scientific research into horrible diseases, educating children and ignorant adults [who want education but could never afford it], cleaning up the planet, preserving the rainforest and the seas, helping in so many ways living people in need. And if not, to having a good time with that money while there is still life in you. At least donate the money to groups of religious, nuns or monks, who will pray for the departed soul - it will keep the temple or church in repair and provide them with sustenance while they are doing the praying for you, you lazy sod.

My same mother, when asked about the distribution of her personal effects, said this most liberating thing: Oh do what you like dear, I'll be dead and gone!

I mean no disrespect to anyone else's views on how best to commemorate the loss of a dearly loved one.[/QUOTE]

Some elders still have their preferences.. like my grandma who is scared of fire is fearful of cremation..
Fortunately the family was able to bury her in Lim chu Kang back then..

I am an atheist but would respect the views of my parents who are taoist...

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good lesson from the magnum opus Rachelle Ann Beguia is never offend/insult your host country, its people and their sensitivities.
All of us have stakes in JB... So we gotta watch our behaviour, words and actions

Very true bro.. in a way our presence has in fact caused the cost of living to spike somewhat in JB.. (mentioned by the contractors I spoke to)
Hence just be graceful to our host nation where we are there..

Status
Not open for further replies.