• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Dual Citizenship / NS Obligations / HDB Flats and Migration

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://m.todayonline.com/commentary/dual-citizenship-little-fear-much-gain
"Third, dual citizenship would benefit the more than 200,000 Singaporeans based overseas, a number set to grow. Much like the PRs in Singapore, overseas Singaporeans are put in a tight corner when offered citizenship by their host country. By some estimates, we lose about 1,000 Singaporeans every year because of this. This may not seem like a big number in absolute terms, but in 2008 then-Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew shared during an interview that this group represented the “top end” of the population, making the brain drain a serious problem for Singapore."

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yeah you know why? Because if all 200,000 were to withdraw their money from their CPF accounts, GIC will be in deep shit. Give a very very very very conservative estimate of each of those 200,000 having $100,000 in their CPF accounts = $20,000,000,000 ie $20 billion.What is Singapore's estimated reserves? According to a report by the Ministry of Finance, Singapore's official foreign reserves managed by the MAS totalled S$343 billion and Temasek's portfolio was S$223 billion as at 31 March 2014, while GIC manages “well over US$100 billion”.

No joke ok if JUST those overseas decided to withdraw CPF. And likely the figure will be closer to $100 billion which is ALL of what GIC manages. Can you imagine what is left for the rest of the sinkies who remain in Singapore? LOL!

Anyone who falls for this and keeps their CPF earning 2.6% interest and what not is a bloody fool.

Renounce and take your CPF. There is no better course of action.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I won't be surprised that they will cook up some cock and bull scheme with reasons to refuse to allow sinkies to renounce citizenship. Saying that dual citizenship is now allowed.

That way no one can withdraw their CPF in full from then on and GIC can be assured no unexpected unplanned withdrawals are made and can "invest" more aggressively and LOSE more money.

Better migrate fast get your new citizenships renounce and take out your CPF before you can no longer do so!

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is a very real possibility.

Don't ever forget that the CPF money is in an instituition governed and administered by the gahmen.

it is and never was your money and they can do anything they want or need to hold it back.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
it is and never was your money and they can do anything they want or need to hold it back.

Well that's true until you get all the money in your foreign bank accounts changed to foreign currency.

I have all my CPF money with me and it IS my money.

Those sinkies still living in Singapore and have no chance of renouncing. Yeah too bad it isn't you money. LOL!

Bobby is your CPF money your money already? Not yet? Never?

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Like yours...it is now in a foreign country :smile:

What ever "above market" interest rates they claim to pay you does not beat the value and satisfaction you get by using the same funds to help buy a nice house to live in Australia.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The funny part is at the exit interview, they will ask you why you want to renounce and warn you that it is "irreversible".

They never asked me why.

But they said things like do you want grace period? 1 month? 3 month? 6 months? If renounce then it is very hard to get it back.

I told them I flew all the way from Canada to Singapore to renounce! I want ZERO grace period. ASAP best!

The whole "we will review to see if we will allow you to renounce" is ridiculous isn't it? They think they are like god? Give you life then it is not up to you to give it up?

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
They never asked me why.

But they said things like do you want grace period? 1 month? 3 month? 6 months? If renounce then it is very hard to get it back.

I told them I flew all the way from Canada to Singapore to renounce! I want ZERO grace period. ASAP best!

The whole "we will review to see if we will allow you to renounce" is ridiculous isn't it? They think they are like god? Give you life then it is not up to you to give it up?

CPF really tried to make it difficult...asking ridiculous things like making your bank verify that the nominated account is yours and taking up to 3 month so that they can verify that this request is not a "fraud" by counter checking with all other relevant authorities.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Used to be 3 working days. Turn up at CPF, queue and complete form 5 mins. 3rd day in your account in the foreign country via TT.

CPF really tried to make it difficult...asking ridiculous things like making your bank verify that the nominated account is yours and taking up to 3 month so that they can verify that this request is not a "fraud" by counter checking with all other relevant authorities.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
CPF is a drop in the ocean from migrants. Its the number of quality people that live. They have also done their research and found the link goes into extended family and eventually most will leave. The correlation is strongest amongst siblings on both sides of the marriage as they are usually in the same zone in their life's journey.

They never asked me why.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Used to be 3 working days. Turn up at CPF, queue and complete form 5 mins. 3rd day in your account in the foreign country via TT.

Should be the case.

You would think that the letter of citizenship renounciation from ICA would suffice as an authority for CPF account closure.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The good part is that you are not required put back into your CPF if you come back here to work. Just have to work a whole series of forms about yourself and your family history.

you have to put back your CPF plus interest if you want back Singapore citizenship :*:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do recall that West Malaysians with PR here and CPF here are given lengthy withdrawal because some of them do show PR in new country but actually after withdrawal go back to M'sia.

Should be the case.

You would think that the letter of citizenship renounciation from ICA would suffice as an authority for CPF account closure.