• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Living in JB 2 (Johore)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
From what i understand, There is a group of people that stay in permas jaya/straits view that travel to Sg on daily basis. When I went to visit the new condo, Elita, the sales people told me that majority of the buyers were Singaporeans and SPR that travels/intend to travel on daily basis too. And these people are professional. So I would say that it is not at all impossible, based on the info given.

Also agree that children's welfare and upbringings are very important so the plan of commuting daily is not for the faint hearted. Everything comes with a trade off unless one was born with silver spoon. Believe such people wouldn't be reading and typing in the forums then ... :smile:

Always try out, rent a place and see how the entire family could cope, if u r not sure. Cheers

Senibong and u should use Causeway, which is jammed between 6am-10am mostly. Even on so-called non-peak hours btw 11am-4pm, they still make sure the traffic is very slow and there is a high risk that your car rear will be poke in one or another way. I have used Woodlands causeway for 2 years daily and I got poke 3 times on my rear. So far at Tuas no problem but the petrol cost and distance is going to cost a bomb. At least RM 1000 more on petrol and toll. Per trip to and from Tuas is easily RM 30 + RM 20 on extra petrol. If you workplace is in West side still ok.

Forget about it if u have school going kids. It will take a significant amount of time to travel in and out esp when you still need to pick up kids and send them to schools etc. I have done that before.. we left our house @ 530am and only reach house at 1030pm cos any timing earlier and the jams are horrible.. After I bathe, I totally got knocked out. And my wife claimed that my kids have " life " in Malaysia. After sometimes, I seriously shake my head and ask her, this is "life" ? Sure or not.. my kids now come back home at 2-3pm in Singapore and are able to relax, take a nap and play games and sleep at 8pm and wake up at 630am for school. Yes there are stress in school and in Spore but surely, I dont want them to turn out to be their cousins and uncles in Malaysia who got no stress and are contented with earning RM 1500 a month and kept borrowing money from their relatives ( me included of course ). I can see that those youngster are very very happy living JB but when its time for them to work, 90% would pack up their belongings and still come to Spore to find work. Without a proper education and with Spore government clamping down on foreign labour, why would there be enough space for Malaysians to fill the job gap?

No huge space, no greenery but with more time on their side, they are happier. When I got off from work early, I join them in their swimming classes at 5pm or so. When we were staying in Malaysia, no such benefit. Every weekday is a mad rush to and fro custom and vying for pumps in the super busy Shell petrol stations in 2nd link. With kids, weekends we still need to come back to Singapore for enrichment classes.

I am not saying staying in JB is no good. It is the best place to retire, seriously and I will surely stay in my Malaysia house once I retire. Weekends I will be in JB to relax when I am free but weekdays are studies and work time so I have choosen to stay in Spore cos it makes much more sense to be near to schools and workplace.

Last edited:

DREAMorACTION

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seems another new high for nusa duta :smile: congrats!

Wonder how they managed to get 30%, since this is not a resort-like development?

Just sharing for Nusa Duta, these are the new prices:
- By the way, they have 30/70 rule for foreigners versus locals

Cluster - 34 x 80
878,000 - 1,144,000

Semi-D - 50 x 75
1181000 - 1,525000

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will be going away overseas for some time. Will check out the forum whenever possible. U lot take good care! Cheers

Bro, be safe and ALWAYS be aware of your surrounding. DON'T take things for granted. If something doesn't feel right, TRUST your "feeling" and stay away. Take care and enjoy the new surrounding..... Don't forget to drop by every so often....

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
anyone here knows about senibong cove....any comments and advise...apart from east ledang im also considering senibong...nice place but not sure worth buying there...however i still need to travel everyday to and fro spore to work and send kids to scholl. apreciate ur advise...thxxx

It is at the east... it might not be worthwhile travelling to the 2nd link considering it is much nearer to first link.
The houses were very nice but one would hope they clean up the cove. Presently i find it a bit smelly as the water is polluted.
Developer sales staff says it will become a watersports area with waterfront living...

Last edited:

austin_hts

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love Senibong Cove..... I missed an opportunity to purchase an end-lot terrace early last year at at Rm500k.
I like e waterfront living.... With EDL, no traffic ligh from custom , 10mins shld be able to reach once cleared custom... .

What units r they selling now? Semi-d & bungalow ? What price?

anyone here knows about senibong cove....any comments and advise...apart from east ledang im also considering senibong...nice place but not sure worth buying there...however i still need to travel everyday to and fro spore to work and send kids to scholl. apreciate ur advise...thxxx

jazjoz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably we are quite used to the convenience in SG such that when we are overseas, everything seems far. Driving for 2 hours to reach ones workplace, etc in most countries are pretty acceptable and even expected but not in Singapore.

Hah, actually both my wife and I have fallen to the convenience of SG. My wife used to stay in butterworth and travel 2 hours at least to work in Penang. I used to drive 40 mins just to meet friends for supper in KL but now driving from Punggol to Jurong seems like a very very long drive. That's why we have to leave now or never. I have friends who live in San Jose who drives to work in San Francisco everyday and they seem to be happy.

leenatazri

Alfrescian
Loyal
hi jazjoz...i called the sales marketing few days back all the waterfront residence sold and subsales at 850-1.2mill...what they have now is the isola villas semi d at 1.43mill but ready in 3yrs time...also the bungalow...2mill up cant remember exactly the price...they mentn travel via ciq to causeway 8mins and to 2nd link about 40mins...its a nice plc i love too but as i say...i need to travel msia-spore often....so after consideration...nusajaya is the best...my friend got a place at el...her sons studying at bt btk...she leaves home at 615....tats what i want....:smile:)) ...she enjoy staying there and best of all....live happily with no stress as b4 (compared staying in spore)... :smile:))

I love Senibong Cove..... I missed an opportunity to purchase an end-lot terrace early last year at at Rm500k.
I like e waterfront living.... With EDL, no traffic ligh from custom , 10mins shld be able to reach once cleared custom... .

What units r they selling now? Semi-d & bungalow ? What price?

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Had a very interesting day today. Took wife to see the Avengers in the cinema at Tebrau. Good show!!!!
Nice and clean. Popcorn so so but paid 28 RM in total. Citibank card holders can get tickets cheaper on week days and 1+1, etc. T&Cs apply.

The southern entrance to HH is opened!! Went back at around 10pm to SG to pay bills, etc. Saw it open and
so reminded myself to use it when going back. Its much faster now using the shortcut, on the way saw pretty spectacular lightning and then later passed legoland. Saw that they already putting up some lighting and some buildings have sprung up faster than before.

Had a super heavy storm in SG as i went to visit my inlaws and then brought my parents out for my favourite curry rice near Kovan. Its the Sin Ju Le Huan or something like that. Had a hurried one as always no parking in that area and the nearest MSCP is a long way away. So i let my folks out and swung around and around to get a spot.

Packed for wife and then took parents around Seletar dam area and to one of the favourite places of mine. The bridge near the Fokker hanger to Selatar North Link linking to Punggol. Used to go there for fishing when they first set up the place. Fishing was one of my key hobbies prior to moving out to HH. I gave it up when i let 4 barramundi out at the beach in Sembawang Park. Bought them from Sheng Shiong and they stayed for a very long time. Anglers nearby were aiming for the spot so i actually went into the water and shoed them away. Those were the days.

Ok, back to the storm, since army days, have never seen something so scary. Let my parents off to the shelter to their home and went back on the home journey at about 3am. Had to turn on all fog lights, front and back as well as the hazard lights, scary weather with little visibility. Most guys turned on their fog lights and one lady forgot to at AMK and i winded my windows down and gestured her lights were off. She was gracious and kind enough to wave back.

Found that the rain water limit my car speed and so to avoid the trees, i went in the middle but no joy. At BKE side, some cars to the left stopped as one seemed to be hit by a tree, i slowed down and saw the driver was ok, he waved to me and said he was ok so i drove off.

Shortly after, i myself saw branches coming off a tree just as i was driving and i had no choice but to go over it as there were cars behind me and i didn't want to do an ebrake.

Finally made it to Tuas, no one was at the counter and waited until the office came, he told me he just went through the mother of all storms and i told him where i came from when he asked. We chatted for a bit and he asked me where i was going so late, i told him home and HH. He told me he knew the place and said it was ok, i told him that there are lots of fun and good places besides HH as well.

Passed the Tuas customs and went without incident to the Malaysian customs, after breezing through it (no cars at this time plus MACS) continued on my way. Saw the weather letting up by then. Saw lots of lights turned on at the first stretch of the highway but past 313 exit, the stretch of lights were still off. Finally did 312 exit (Nusajaya) and took the shortcut back to HH. Took the Southern Entrance and turned in, only to see the guardhouse and a gantry. I alerted the guards and showed them my pass. For the benefit of folks here, i stopped halfway and asked, when is the official opening of this entrance. Guard lowered the gantry and slightly hit my boot but told me that officially it will open on the 12th. So this is good news for those commuting to and fro HH as it will shorten the journey back as once you go in via Southern Entrance, you are already in the midst of HH.

Saw some of the most spectacular lightning shows tonight, yellow, blue and purple. Some at close range, some from afar. Glad to have made it past the storm. Reporting (still alive) live from HH.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hah, actually both my wife and I have fallen to the convenience of SG. My wife used to stay in butterworth and travel 2 hours at least to work in Penang. I used to drive 40 mins just to meet friends for supper in KL but now driving from Punggol to Jurong seems like a very very long drive. That's why we have to leave now or never. I have friends who live in San Jose who drives to work in San Francisco everyday and they seem to be happy.

I did the commute myself for 2 years as well as took long train trips when i was Japan and in other countries. Life was very hard for me back then, no support from family and never shared with any relatives back then as i didn't want to start a war on comparison. Distance is something relative.

Once you get spoilt rotten in SG, its a self limiting thing when you go overseas and you think of limiting yourself everywhere you go. I was probably the only one in my team who made it to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and Monterey driving by myself with my ex boss (long life to him, always). I understand, in SG, anything more than 30 minutes seems to be a chore. Too many unnecessary traffic lights as well. I am glad i don't live where people get more traffic lights than pedestrains in 1 km.

Sometimes one has to undergo some hardship to build character, the ingrained part of the directive during NS days is always Carry on mission. That and the Go Rin No Sho (The Book of Five Rings)from the "Kensei" (Sword Saint) himself.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi Wuqi, would you say daily commute each way takes up 2hours or 90min assuming one sidestep the peak period (ie as you say, leave 6.30am and return 8pm ish). thanks

Actually for me, its door to door in 1 hour to my home, client as well as to my office and even my inlaws. Most of my friends experience the same with the extreme ones being 2 hours but mostly 60-90 mins tops.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Seems another new high for nusa duta :smile: congrats!

Wonder how they managed to get 30%, since this is not a resort-like development?

I think they specially applied for it since they forsee more demand. Been getting requests to sell my houses
recently but still resisting as just want to keep as long as i can. Still in buying mode actually.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will be going away overseas for some time. Will check out the forum whenever possible. U lot take good care! Cheers

Where are you going, we are going to miss you. I am also currently oversea, but just across the strait.. Didnt notice any storm or lighting.. Was sleeping soundly...

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Once the hotels at San Jose was so packed during the dot com era, I was put up at a hotel in Santa Cruz and commute 2 hours daily to work.. My ex-boss commute from LA to San Diego daily.. Colleagues drived daily from San francisco to San Jose.. I just don't understand why some people want to pay so much for a house above MRT or bus interchange...

I did the commute myself for 2 years as well as took long train trips when i was Japan and in other countries. Life was very hard for me back then, no support from family and never shared with any relatives back then as i didn't want to start a war on comparison. Distance is something relative.

Once you get spoilt rotten in SG, its a self limiting thing when you go overseas and you think of limiting yourself everywhere you go. I was probably the only one in my team who made it to Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and Monterey driving by myself with my ex boss (long life to him, always). I understand, in SG, anything more than 30 minutes seems to be a chore. Too many unnecessary traffic lights as well. I am glad i don't live where people get more traffic lights than pedestrains in 1 km.

Sometimes one has to undergo some hardship to build character, the ingrained part of the directive during NS days is always Carry on mission. That and the Go Rin No Sho (The Book of Five Rings)from the "Kensei" (Sword Saint) himself.

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Morning All, is there any update to the traffic at the 2nd Link.
Am planning go to HH, but got a call from a friend warning me that the Causeway was packed. Took 1/2 hour just to get to the Immigration and not crossed over the Causeway to the Malaysian side YET!

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think they specially applied for it since they forsee more demand. Been getting requests to sell my houses
recently but still resisting as just want to keep as long as i can. Still in buying mode actually.

Bro Wuqi, tom I may drop by around Bt Indah area. Do a couple of house searching. Any decent hotels nearby Jusco Bt Indah? Just to put up 1 night stay.

Thanks.

arsenal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nice.. But I missed the lightning shows.. Natural lightning without have to pay anything..

Just planted my second fruit tree by myself.. The nursery is selling Mao Shan Wang tree too.. Shall I plant it near the fence for anyone to enjoy in future?

Had a very interesting day today. Took wife to see the Avengers in the cinema at Tebrau. Good show!!!!
Nice and clean. Popcorn so so but paid 28 RM in total. Citibank card holders can get tickets cheaper on week days and 1+1, etc. T&Cs apply.

The southern entrance to HH is opened!! Went back at around 10pm to SG to pay bills, etc. Saw it open and
so reminded myself to use it when going back. Its much faster now using the shortcut, on the way saw pretty spectacular lightning and then later passed legoland. Saw that they already putting up some lighting and some buildings have sprung up faster than before.

Had a super heavy storm in SG as i went to visit my inlaws and then brought my parents out for my favourite curry rice near Kovan. Its the Sin Ju Le Huan or something like that. Had a hurried one as always no parking in that area and the nearest MSCP is a long way away. So i let my folks out and swung around and around to get a spot.

Packed for wife and then took parents around Seletar dam area and to one of the favourite places of mine. The bridge near the Fokker hanger to Selatar North Link linking to Punggol. Used to go there for fishing when they first set up the place. Fishing was one of my key hobbies prior to moving out to HH. I gave it up when i let 4 barramundi out at the beach in Sembawang Park. Bought them from Sheng Shiong and they stayed for a very long time. Anglers nearby were aiming for the spot so i actually went into the water and shoed them away. Those were the days.

Ok, back to the storm, since army days, have never seen something so scary. Let my parents off to the shelter to their home and went back on the home journey at about 3am. Had to turn on all fog lights, front and back as well as the hazard lights, scary weather with little visibility. Most guys turned on their fog lights and one lady forgot to at AMK and i winded my windows down and gestured her lights were off. She was gracious and kind enough to wave back.

Found that the rain water limit my car speed and so to avoid the trees, i went in the middle but no joy. At BKE side, some cars to the left stopped as one seemed to be hit by a tree, i slowed down and saw the driver was ok, he waved to me and said he was ok so i drove off.

Shortly after, i myself saw branches coming off a tree just as i was driving and i had no choice but to go over it as there were cars behind me and i didn't want to do an ebrake.

Finally made it to Tuas, no one was at the counter and waited until the office came, he told me he just went through the mother of all storms and i told him where i came from when he asked. We chatted for a bit and he asked me where i was going so late, i told him home and HH. He told me he knew the place and said it was ok, i told him that there are lots of fun and good places besides HH as well.

Passed the Tuas customs and went without incident to the Malaysian customs, after breezing through it (no cars at this time plus MACS) continued on my way. Saw the weather letting up by then. Saw lots of lights turned on at the first stretch of the highway but past 313 exit, the stretch of lights were still off. Finally did 312 exit (Nusajaya) and took the shortcut back to HH. Took the Southern Entrance and turned in, only to see the guardhouse and a gantry. I alerted the guards and showed them my pass. For the benefit of folks here, i stopped halfway and asked, when is the official opening of this entrance. Guard lowered the gantry and slightly hit my boot but told me that officially it will open on the 12th. So this is good news for those commuting to and fro HH as it will shorten the journey back as once you go in via Southern Entrance, you are already in the midst of HH.

Saw some of the most spectacular lightning shows tonight, yellow, blue and purple. Some at close range, some from afar. Glad to have made it past the storm. Reporting (still alive) live from HH.

Status
Not open for further replies.