• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Singaporean's guide to living in Thailand

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This is a fantastic camera other than the quality of the pictures you can secretly take pictures of people because it's not huge and you don't have to face the subject you are taking or hold it up to eye level like a traditional or cell phone cam.

Yes thanks to your recommendation and I have no regrets with this. Only issue is unable to catch moving subjects even slow moving so very difficult to take doggy's photos. Getting it focus at the subject is also a little challenging at times. But I have to admit I need to spend more time with this to get more use to, the pictures I'm very happy with it.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes thanks to your recommendation and I have no regrets with this. Only issue is unable to catch moving subjects even slow moving so very difficult to take doggy's photos. Getting it focus at the subject is also a little challenging at times. But I have to admit I need to spend more time with this to get more use to, the pictures I'm very happy with it.

No problem. If you update the firmware and the software on the phone it should be much smoother. Sometimes also need to make sure other programs/ apps on the phone is closed cos they might take up ram/cpu processor power. Since the phone is seperate from the camera and everyone's phone is different can be quite difficult to troubleshoot for everyone. I use it with my ip4 which only has a single processor and it's fast to connect and moving objects are quite smooth most of the time since nowadays ppl use ip5 upwards or the latest android phones they easily have 2 to 4 or upwards cpu processors on their phones and more phone memory connection and capture of moving objects should be ok. Oh yes it might appear to slow down on the screen but when you record and play back afterwards it's smooth cos it's just communicating with the phone. You can take pictures without connecting to any phone but you won't be able to see what you're taking obviously.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
No problem. If you update the firmware and the software on the phone it should be much smoother. Sometimes also need to make sure other programs/ apps on the phone is closed cos they might take up ram/cpu processor power. Since the phone is seperate from the camera and everyone's phone is different can be quite difficult to troubleshoot for everyone. I use it with my ip4 which only has a single processor and it's fast to connect and moving objects are quite smooth most of the time since nowadays ppl use ip5 upwards or the latest android phones they easily have 2 to 4 or upwards cpu processors on their phones and more phone memory connection and capture of moving objects should be ok. Oh yes it might appear to slow down on the screen but when you record and play back afterwards it's smooth cos it's just communicating with the phone. You can take pictures without connecting to any phone but you won't be able to see what you're taking obviously.

Agree Jah, its also a matter of getting use to it and like I'd said I really need to spend more time with it. I should bring it to Manila tomorrow.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
This country is fucked big time just have a look at it's immigration "crowd" at 6.15am. I'm a frequent customer here at this time every morning it should be packed with tourists going home and business travelers

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Last trip I videoed SQ lounge in Changi, today I videoed TG lounge in Suvernabhumbi, you guys can compare

[video=youtube;TQjt0_H1gV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQjt0_H1gV0[/video]

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Good time for me to go back to Bangkok for more medical procedures.

My partner went for his medical appointment lady Friday at Bumrungrag he was shock to see very few foreigners especially the Arabs there and all was quiet. Yes I think it's a great time to come over for medical.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dose of bitter medicine for LOS? Maybe some positives in junta's authority over past lameduck cabinet -with signing off some bills to get economic relief.

The ‘patient’ isn’t terminal but needs strong medicine
Bangkok Post Published: 5/06/2014 at 12:22 AM

Before the coup on May 22, Thailand could be compared to a person suffering from painful indigestion, bloated with gas from months of internal conflict between parties intellectually and emotionally divided. It seemed only a matter of time before something gave way.

After May 22, the patient was force-fed three pills. With the first, the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) imposed its curfew, clamped down on the media and banned political protests to impose an uneasy state of peace on the population.

With the second came the promise that, assuming peace continues, a new government will be formed to lead the country.

And with the third pill, again assuming that “peace and order” is maintained, will come elections and a return to democracy.

Whether these three giant pills will truly cure the patient remains an open question, one with broad ramifications for the political, economic and social future of the country. If this hiccup in the country’s political structure succeeds in achieving a more mature, enlightened democracy, all the better. But if our pain and conflicts simply resume, we will have lost time, energy and goodwill for nothing.

For now, we can only see and feel the results of the first pill. The NCPO has put economic policies at the forefront, no doubt reasoning that there is little hope of garnering public support, or at least acceptance of the coup, if it cannot address the people’s fundamental financial concerns and expectations.

Certainly the past several months of political deadlock under the caretaker Yingluck Shinawatra government had seen economic confidence nosedive, as investments were shelved and the new budget unable to be written into law.

In recent days, the NCPO and coup leader Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha have spurred the bureaucracy into action, with disbursements under the current 2014 budget to be accelerated and a new 2015 budget to be finalised in time for the start of the fiscal year in October.

About one million rice farmers who have been waiting for payment for their pledged rice for months have also finally begun to receive relief, after the NCPO ordered the state-owned Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Co-operatives to release 40 billion baht from its reserves to help settle the overdue debt.

The Finance Ministry’s Public Debt Management Office plans to borrow 90 billion baht from the local money market to repay the state agriculture bank and settle remaining debts owed to farmers.

While it is premature to say whether such actions are sufficient to stem the economic malaise, at least some economists believe that extra government spending could at least help push overall economic growth this year to 3%, with the ever-present assumption of course that “peace and order” continues.
Restoring investor confidence and re-establishing medium-term growth will no doubt be the next priority for Gen Prayuth.

Earlier this week the military junta directed state agencies to review existing spending programmes, including the 2-trillion-baht infrastructure investment programme and the 350-billion-baht water management scheme, both initiated under the Yingluck government.

Still, it will be interesting to see the policy platform that ultimately comes from the junta, particularly with regards to public programmes ostensibly initiated by the Yingluck government to address income disparity and rural poverty.

The rice scheme in particular looks set to be scrapped. The policy resulted in the country losing market share in the world rice market and helped push public debt to 46% of gross domestic product, compared with 40.7% in late 2011.

Policymakers often say economic policy should aim for long-term, sustainable growth, rather than perpetuate boom and bust cycles. But long-term development plans by definition take time to bear fruit, often too much time for fickle political leaders and their constituents alike.

I think many farmers, if asked about the Yingluck government’s rice policies, know that any scheme offering prices 40% and more over market simply cannot be maintained indefinitely. But that’s someone else’s problem, isn’t it?

Actually, poor policy exacts a price upon all, taxpayers and beneficiaries alike. It makes little sense to buy a car until you know how to drive, or build a library without knowing how to read, or buy a computer when there is no electricity.

Medicine may alleviate the symptoms of our national indigestion, but not the disease. For that, something more fundamental, more elemental is required, a step which leads to a genuine change of hearts and minds about the future of the country and the values and principles we hold dear. We can only hope this brief respite will be enough.

Wichit Chantanusornsiri is a senior economics reporter for the Bangkok Post

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
YY, Thailand is the only country that has a "Constitutional Court" that keeps blocking what the government want to do, everything is unconstitutional as far as what the government want to do. The army, this court, the yellows, Suthep they are all on the same side. So what gives?

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...only country that has a "Constitutional Court" that keeps blocking what the government want to do, everything is unconstitutional as far as what the government want to do. The army, this court, the yellows, Suthep they are all on the same side. So what gives?
Yo, it's a maze of road blocks by CC and "referee's red card" (before the junta). "Jury" CC can boot out the elected ruling PM (not the 1st time). Elections was stymied, with ex-cabinet limping without authority to govern (my meaning lameduck).

Suthep, we are given to understand ..is a stooge. Even the yellows mostly think Mark (you know who of Democrats) is an idiot :p And the junta even dumped the present charter! Seems clear to us outsiders, power is in the barrel of gun.

Asides, we got to say thais are not easily cowed. With the 3 finger salute aka hunger games style

Amazing Thailand

And latest today -some lobbying by Tourism Ministry to lift curfew in more cities Hatyai, Hua Hin, Chiangmai. Visitors arrivals hurting the GDP

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thai-ministry-to-request/1137470.html

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
every sinkie should consider themselves extremely lucky for living in a cuntry that runs smoothly. :p

Unfortunately the biggest problem is that a royal class has been created in just one generation since independance Just because one is related doesn't mean you should be allowed to lead the country

It has caused many Sporeans to leave.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Self-look at endemic corruption on projects in LOS. No regime is "immune" to this mailaise Potentially 30-50% ill-gotten gains can flow down, with better specs? :cool:

If the junta delivers, I’ll be first to clap
Bangkok Post Published: 6/06/2014 at 12:22 AM

Many of my friends have written on Facebook that they prefer the administration of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) to an elected government because the NCPO will have no corruption problems.

Although I question their reasoning, I totally agree with them that our country needs to get rid of graft. But we need proof the junta is indeed a cleaner administration.

Here are my ideas on how to prove that NCPO is a “no corruption” administration.

Before the May 22 coup, research showed that corruption accounted for 30-50% of the budget for development projects. The University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce in January estimated that graft in Thailand last year cost the country 240-330 billion baht, compared with the country’s overall investment and procurement budget of 2.4 trillion baht.

Many politicians and anti-government protesters under the People’s Democratic Reform Committee also cited this outrageous 30-50% figure in their campaign against the previous government. In layman’s terms, it means when we build a road with a 100-baht budget, some politicians get at least 30 baht from it.
It follows then that with only 70 baht, a non-corrupt government can build a road to the same specifications. In other words, if the NCPO cannot reduce the budget for building roads, then we should see new roads of better quality since some people said the previous government got kickbacks from turning a blind eye to poor specifications.

If the NCPO can do this, I will give them a round of applause.

We can apply the same approach to many other development projects. If many (or every) previous government gleaned 30-50% profits on projects, we should see our overall development budget reduced by 30-50% under a clean NCPO government.

We should get new bridges, new buildings at lower prices and of better quality. We will get better quality medicines from public hospitals while state schools will have better equipment because no one will take under-the-table procurement money. Whether a government is clean or not can be proven in a very short time.
Besides the budget, I would like to see more evidence of the NCPO’s commitment to reform of laws. Past governments said they would reform land and inheritance tax laws. I have not seen any government fulfill these promises.

If the NCPO pushes for the restructuring of land and building taxes during its administration to reduce the disparity between the rich and poor, it will prove it is not the protector of the privileged classes.

Other important legislation that needs to be addressed is relates to corruption. As it stands, court cases involving graft expire after 20 years. There have been proposals that the law should be amended with no statute of limitations. But no governments or parliaments in the past have taken this up.
There are also some non-political laws which many organisations have long asked to change. For example, punishment for drunk drivers who kill innocent people on the road. At present, they face pretty low punishment terms. Many are calling for capital punishment for rapists.

Toward change for a more just society, I sincerely hope the junta-installed parliament will do things more quickly, more efficiently, and more transparently, than past administrations which were too busy “playing politics”.

If the NCPO and the soon-to-be-set up reform council and parliament can usher in reforms to improve the life and security of people as social justice, I will give them another round of applause.

Reducing the budget by making it corruption-free and effecting legal reform should not be difficult under the NCPO’s absolute power. Don’t forget that the junta have been telling us they have no conflicts of interest and that they will put their full efforts into cleaning up our country.

However, I do not believe the NCPO will be able to create real peace or full harmony among all Thais in a short period of time as the country has been divided ... possibly beyond reconciliation. Being realistic, I never hope that all things ahead will go smoothly. But I do hope to see some change, and some proof that an administration under the military is cleaner than elected governments.

For now, I still cannot make myself believe the NCPO will fare much better. But I am willing to wait to see proof. When I see it with my own eyes, I will then believe and give the junta a big, big round of applause.

Many may think I am wrong here. Please prove me wrong, if you can.

Suphaphan Plengmaneepun is assistant managing editor, Bangkok Post