• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WP is arrogant

alantan27

Alfrescian
Loyal
IS WP becoming arrogant?

If CSJ say is true, SDP has write to WP for a discussion but when talking to press yesterday, LTK told reporters that so far there are no talk schedule.

Has WP becoming arrogant. They feel like there is no point talking.

I think voters at punggol east should teach them a lesson

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
WP is the only opposition party to be represented in parliament, and the first to win a GRC. Arrogance, even if undesirable, is a natural consequence of this dominance.

8 January 2013

Ms Sylvia Lim
Chairman
Workers' Party

Dear Ms Lim,

I would like to invite you and your party colleagues to discuss our parties' positions in regards to the by-elections expected to be called in Punggol East SMC. Specifically, we would like to explore the possibility of one opposition party contesting against the PAP in the by-election.

I would like to propose that we meet on 12 January 2013, Saturday at 10am. If you are agreeable to the date and time, we will make arrangements for the meeting venue. Otherwise, I would be grateful if you could suggest an alternative date and time.

Thank you.

Jufrie Mahmood
Chairman
Singapore Democratic Party​

<tbody>
</tbody>
9 January 2013

Dear Ms Lim,

I refer to my email dated 8 January 2013 inviting the WP for a meeting vis-a-vis the by-election at Punggol East.

In view of the fact that the PM has called for the by-election, we should meet as soon as possible. I propose Friday, 11 January 2013, lunchtime. I await your reply.

Jufrie​

<tbody> </tbody>
10 January 2013

Low Thia Khiang
Secretary-General
Workers' Party

Dear Mr Low,

I refer to the invitation from our Chairman Jufrie Mahmood for our parties to meet on Friday, 11 January, to discuss our participation in the by-election at Punggol East.

Unfortunately in her reply, your Chairman Sylvia Lim, gave no indication that the WP has accepted our invitation.

I would like to extend the invitation again. If you find the proposed date and time of lunch on 11 January 2013 unsuitable, please suggest an alternative one. We should meet soon to give ourselves time to thoroughly discuss some urgent matters.

Specifically, we hope to explore ways on how we can offer the best candidate with the best opportunity to defeat the PAP. The SDP would like to work with the WP to avoid a 3- or multi-corner fight with the PAP.

More importantly, we would like to see how opposition parties can work closer together in the interest of unseating the PAP to bring about a democratic system in Singapore.

In order to achieve these, let us meet to explore how the opposition can cooperate in a more concerted manner starting with this by-election. The meeting on Friday would be a good beginning.

I hope you will give my invitation serious consideration.

As this matter is of intense public interest, I wish to inform you that our correspondence may be made open. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Chee Soon Juan
Secretary-General
Singapore Democratic Party​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bad blood goes a long way. The fact that they have to resort to official letters rather than a phone call plus a threat to reveal the content to the public shows the hole that SDP is in. And the hole that they are digging deeper.

SDP needs to understand it is the entity that needs to repair the issue. It no different to a commercial or personal relationship. SDP chose a path that turned out to be erroneous over 2 decades seems to lost on them.

Early this week, SDP did the usual high profile approach to advertise their ground engagement. What were they doing for last 20 years would be the question in people's mind when they see such publicity.

By the way, Jufrie is considered a dud. A former member of WP (twice) and his comments about the WP over the years has not been encouraging. The fact that there is a video where a participant crucifies Jufrie for making silly and uncalled for remarks about Singapore average voters and Jufrie desperately trying to backtrack at an SDP organised event speaks volumes about this moron. By the way SDP released the video. Could they have not found someone more suitable than Jufrie.

Imagine CSJ's first letter to LTK contains a threat tells shows how skillful he is with negotiating. If I write a letter where I am not the party with the advantage, I would be bit more skillful in wording it. The same principles apply in commercial and personal interaction. Would I treat a much larger company and portray as an equal.

The fact they actually released the letters shows how poor political skills these guys have. Now you know why they are seldom invited to events where other opposition entities are invited. KJ has the same issues.

blueblobster

Alfrescian
Loyal
IS WP becoming arrogant?

If CSJ say is true, SDP has write to WP for a discussion but when talking to press yesterday, LTK told reporters that so far there are no talk schedule.

Not nearly as arrogant as issuing threats to make emails public. And definitely nowhere as arrogant as starting online appeals for WP to step aside for VW as though it's SDP's divine right to contest.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
WP supporters have been asking SDP not to contest, but WP itself will never tell anyone not to contest. Why bother? Just do what is right and let the voters decide. Each party bears the consequence of its own action, WP included. No need to talk so much. Engaging the voters is much more important.

TuaGow

Alfrescian
Loyal
why didn't sdp write to sda or rp or benjamin phwee or oei boon eu? why only to wp? sdp is more arrogant.

wwabbit

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My read of things is that SDP isn't really serious about competing in BE. It is fairly obvious to me that their plan is to look like they wish to compete, then look like they are going into a discussion with the WP, then look like they are withdrawing for the sake of 'opposition unity'. So the end effect is they get lots of free publicity, goodwill from opposition supporters, and as a bonus they could get some concessions from WP in the future in exchange for withdrawing from the BE.

The WP can see through this plan, of course, they haven't been so dumb as to immediately accept the meeting. They can kill the SDP's scheme by refusing to attend the meeting, but the SDP is now trying to force them to the table by releasing the email. Now it would be harder for the WP to refuse the meeting without making themselves look bad to the general opposition population who cannot see through the SDP's scheme.

Would be interesting to see how WP responds to this move.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
even with a straight fight between PAP vs WP, me sense a 55:45 ratio (PAP:WP), with +/- 3% std. dev.

With AIM scandal, those that see the implications, may result in serious super swing. Right now Leegime is pumped on fake steroids on barking dogs with suing papers and sedate on money opiate. They cannot see objectively. Only the empirical test (which may see fixing afterwards) will tell.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
IS WP becoming arrogant?

An opposition party asking another to give up on a ward it contested was practically unheard of. Until now.

I think the term arrogance if it applies should apply to all.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My read of things is that SDP isn't really serious about competing in BE. It is fairly obvious to me that their plan is to look like they wish to compete, then look like they are going into a discussion with the WP, then look like they are withdrawing for the sake of 'opposition unity'. So the end effect is they get lots of free publicity, goodwill from opposition supporters, and as a bonus they could get some concessions from WP in the future in exchange for withdrawing from the BE.

If that is the kind of publicity they seek, I feel sorry for them for not having learnt.

The idea that any publicity is good has led to their inability to secure more votes with an A-Team than someone like GMS or a newbie Nicole Seah.

Would be interesting to see how WP responds to this move.

I guess they will be totally ignored even until after BE. Some think of this as arrogant, but I don't see why WP needs to pay so much attention to SDP. They are an opposition to PAP, not SDP. If WP starts paying attention to SDP, SDP better start worrying.

minuteman

Alfrescian
Loyal
am sorry but this whole 3CF thing in Punggol East BE is seriously making me consider the rumour that CSJ was and is a pawn (or tool) set up to destroy the opposition is sadly true...

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The bad blood goes a long way. The fact that they have to resort to official letters rather than a phone call plus a threat to reveal the content to the public shows the hole that SDP is in. And the hole that they are digging deeper.

I agree. I think there is little need to adopt such a confrontational tone.

yellowarse

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Official letters are OK if you do not know the sec-gen of the other party personally, but publicizing the contents is a faux pas. CSJ's political naïveté is amazing. Just not cut out to be a politician.