• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Singaporean in Australia - Yet another Story

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spent yesterday evening with an acquaintance that I last saw nearly 15 years ago. He got caught with the Ostrich Egg investment craze which some of you might recall and relocated to OZ to start farming. To cut a long story short, it was a failure as there was no market for it.

Anyway he shared his experience and it was quite an a journey. He comes from the corporate world and doing a business case is second nature to him. After the failure of the farm, both his wife and him were in denial until their money ran out. Too shy to ask for help from friends and relatives, they cut off all contact and moved to a small rental and stored most of their furniture in a storage locker. Eventually these too had to be auctioned off. With nothing in their name and kids in school, he went to the welfare agency and was surprised how helpful they were. The family went on the dole and they found a cheap rental as a home.

He had been applying for jobs with little success. He told me that his loss of confidence must have come across badly during interviews. The welfare agency asked if he was prepared to be a tradesperson and he agreed. He told me that the state paid for his lessons but the apprenticeship was a humbling experience. He started off buying drinks and food for the crew some of whom were younger than him. Only consolation was no asians so no loss of face. Eventually he became a electrician and began working for a firm. He went on to work for himself and is now running a successful business. He has 6 employees and has enough to buy an Audi and Toyota 4W. He lives in a nice house and was proud to show the photos. The son and daughter have done well and are in Australian Universities.

He told me that his wife is a changed person and lot more independent. He told me that his wife and he were resigned to the fact that they would lose all contact with Singapore including family and friends. He is still struggling to call or contact them. He is full of praise for the OZ system of welfare and saving him from a life of doom and gloom.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, got news for you. I heard that PRC picking up cardboard as part time from their regular work. Also heard that they going around HDB flats asking for throw away items like Garang Guni. No sure how true. Competition for our old folks.

Fully agree with you, if u r in Sickapoor, you'er doom! Only job is collect boxes from garbage!

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, got news for you. I heard that PRC picking up cardboard as part time from their regular work. Also heard that they going around HDB flats asking for throw away items like Garang Guni. No sure how true. Competition for our old folks.

LHL may say foreign competition increases productivity of our old folks.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Yes its true Bro Scroobal... Last July while moving out of my parents' home in Tampines, I was busy discarding few unwanted items...Got an old spoilt TV and an old microwave that I wanted to throw away... Then I heard the the familiar horn and shout of the Karang guni man... I went downstairs and told the man in his 70s that I got few old stuff to give away... Then out of a sudden, appeared 2 PRC men at my lift lobby and he told me in Mandarin to just give my stuff to them instead of the karang guni man.. Told him a straight NO... The 2 PRC men were quite pesky but I told them firmly that I had promised to give the old stuff to that old man... Me and the karang guni man then proceeded to my parents's unit and I then gave that old TV set and the microwave to him.. The Karang Guni uncle wanted to give me $6 for the old items but I refused to take it and told him its ok not to pay me... The old man then told me that making a living as a Karang guni man is tough now with many PRCs also vying the market with them...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. I heard about it but could not confirm. I don't think these guys were given work permit to do it.
Yes its true Bro Scroobal... Last July while moving out of my parents' home in Tampines, I was busy discarding few unwanted items...Got an old spoilt TV and an old microwave that I wanted to throw away... Then I heard the the familiar horn and shout of the Karang guni man... I went downstairs and told the man in his 70s that I got few old stuff to give away... Then out of a sudden, appeared 2 PRC men at my lift lobby and he told me in Mandarin to just give my stuff to them instead of the karang guni man.. Told him a straight NO... The 2 PRC men were quite pesky but I told them firmly that I had promised to give the old stuff to that old man... Me and the karang guni man then proceeded to my parents's unit and I then gave that old TV set and the microwave to him.. The Karang Guni uncle wanted to give me $6 for the old items but I refused to take it and told him its ok not to pay me... The old man then told me that making a living as a Karang guni man is tough now with many PRCs also vying the market with them...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, agree, it the mark of a civilised culture - looking after those who have contributed in the past and are facing a misfortune.
Everyone runs into a rough patch at some point in time. Who knows maybe even you might need the states aid in the future?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
My family does the same thing...stopped selling to the PRCs but gave to the local karangguni man instead, even if it was free. More of us shld be doing the same thing..

Told him a straight NO... The 2 PRC men were quite pesky but I told them firmly that I had promised to give the old stuff to that old man... Me and the karang guni man then proceeded to my parents's unit and I then gave that old TV set and the microwave to him.. The Karang Guni uncle wanted to give me $6 for the old items but I refused to take it and told him its ok not to pay me... The old man then told me that making a living as a Karang guni man is tough now with many PRCs also vying the market with them...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, agree, it the mark of a civilised culture - looking after those who have contributed in the past and are facing a misfortune.

A country should be looking after it's citizens.

While I was a guest in Canada, I got a taste of what it was to be treated like a citizen of a 1st world country.

When I had a serious traffic accident in Canada. Social services was automatically notified & a case worker assigned to me to see if she could assist me. They then informed the university of my predicament, as I was a student there. I'm sure more assistance would have been offered if only I was a citizen. The social worker did apologise for not being able to do more since I wasn't a citizen:eek:

I was impressed by their health care system.
I was quickly admitted into hospital for treatment. Issues such as health insurance coverage was settled after I was admitted.

It's so different in Spore where payment is the 1st & last thing you have to settle before being admitted & when you are discharged:rolleyes: In Spore it's all about $$$:(

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tks Scro for sharing.

I have to believe that the give and take culture is not overnight. What makes a society accepting of failures and ready to give a helping hand? Altho this must sound tiring to those who are pro-estab, I have to say what the govt does and say can rub off on its citizens. If a country's leaders talk more of milk of human kindness, stretching out a helping hand and looking out for the unfortunate and fallen, instaed of competitiveness, strife, money, profits, growth at all costs and material success, surely that country has a higher chance of producing and perpetuating a culture that makes men look after one another.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Spent yesterday evening with an acquaintance that I last saw nearly 15 years ago. He got caught with the Ostrich Egg investment craze which some of you might recall and relocated to OZ to start farming.

If he fell for that "Make Millions from ostrich eggs" scam, he must have had his head buried in the sand.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
this fella is lucky to get a 2nd chance, and since he succeeded deserves the help. for every success story there are countless welfare failures. help shouldn't be given to those who become fully dependent on it for life and those who abuse it, and unfortunately in reality, most will.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually you only get a government pension only if you fall below a certain asset threshold here. But I do agree, I see benefits in paying tax that goes into helping people like these. Having low tax doesn't mean its all rosy as well, it means the government would have lesser revenue for social welfare. Some of the best places to live in the world have the highest tax as well. Think how much the Scandinavian countries and its associated lifestyle.

You paid tax, you get it back as pension when you retired.