• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Barclays Premier League Season 2011/2012

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Wednesday 24th August 2011

661316_33_preview.jpg

Rajkovic leaves Chelsea for Hamburg

Hamburg have confirmed the signing of defender Slobodan Rajkovic for an undisclosed fee from Chelsea.

The 22-year-old Serbian passed a medical yesterday and put pen to paper on a four-year contract with the German club on Wednesday. He could make his debut for the German Bundesliga team in their home game against Cologne on Saturday. Hamburg coach Michael Oenning admitted he could play immediately.

"I don't want to rule anything out," he told his club's website. "I have to get to know him a bit first. He is tall and an uncomfortable opponent. He has a quality that we don't really have in our squad and that we need while he is left footed, which was particularly important to me."

Due to work permit difficulties, the Serbia international spent practically all of his time as a Chelsea player out on loan in Holland. He first joined PSV Eindhoven before spending two seasons with FC Twente, with whom he won the Dutch title in 2010, and then a year with Vitesse Arnheim, where he was made captain last season.

His form in the Eredivisie has also earned him a regular place in the senior Serbia national team and now he is ready to further in his career in one of Europe's top leagues. "Holland has a very good league for young players to develop in," he said. "The Bundesliga is the next step. It is a strong league, but I have played with PSV in the Champions League and Twente in the Europa League and so I hope to find my feet quickly in Germany."

Having conceded 10 goals in their first three Bundesliga matches, Hamburg certainly needed to do something to shore up the leakiest defence in the league, which is where Rajkovic comes in. "I am a central defender who is not scared of going in for tackles," he added. "I have only just arrived here so I don't want to make any promises, but what I can promise is that I will always do my best and always give 100% for the team."

Rajkovic links up with Eljero Elia, a team-mate from his Twente days, and a quartet of former Chelsea players - Gokhan Tore, Michael Mancienne, Jacopo Sala and Jeffrey Bruma - signed by the Bundesliga club this summer, under the auspices of their new director of sport Frank Arnesen. Arnesen joined Hamburg in the summer after six years with Chelsea and he has used his links with the academy of his former club to account for five of the club's six new arrivals this summer.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

641161_33_preview.jpg

Chelsea bid big for Porto left-back

Chelsea have splashed the cash in a big money bid for Porto left-back Alvaro Pereira to give manager Andre Villa-Boas more options.

According to reports in the Guardian, the Barclays Premier League big-spenders have lodged a bid around €20 million for Uruguay international Alvaro Pereira, but are expected to have to raise their offer, as his buyout clause stands at €30 million.

Chelsea would have been urged to move for the player by manager Andre Villa-Boa's, who is well aware of his ability, given the duo were both part of the Porto side that dominated domestically last season, as well as claimed the Europa League trophy.

Pereira is also an established international for Uruguay, and part of their Copa America- winning side in Argentina earlier in the summer.

While Chelsea already have Ashley Cole at left-back, and able substitutes in the form of Ryan Bertrand and Patrick van Aanholt, Villas-Boas intends to replace Yuri Zhirkov, who left for Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala, with a versatile wing wizard with the quality to play both in defence and midfield on either flank, which Pereira has previously shown capable of under the Portuguese.

If his transfer does go through, Chelsea's spending would amount to around £120m already on six players this year.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

661326_33_preview.jpg

Mancini eyes Roma's De Rossi

Roberto Mancini has declared that midfielder Daniele De Rossi would be 'absolutely perfect' for Manchester City.

De Rossi is under contract with Roma for one more year but the Italian club announced earlier this week they were hopeful of agreeing an extension in the next few days. Mancini admits there is a good chance the 28-year-old will remain at the Stadio Olimpico but has made no secret of his admiration for the player, saying he would still like to sign another midfielder despite the imminent arrival of Samir Nasri.

"I need something else in midfield because we have limited options," said Mancini in The Sun. "I have Barry, De Jong, Milner and Toure - but if you consider the number of games in the league, the Champions League and the FA Cup that is not enough. "Daniele De Rossi would be absolutely perfect for this team and I rate him as one of the best midfielders in the world.

"But I also have the suspicion that he will stay in Rome his entire career, just like Francesco Totti has done." Gareth Barry, meanwhile, has hailed Nasri as a 'fantastic player' whose arrival at Manchester City will help them win trophies. Nasri is set to complete a move to the Etihad Stadium from Arsenal on Wednesday after a deal was agreed between the clubs and Barry is excited about the quality he will bring to the squad.

Mancini already has a wealth of options available to him but Barry knows they still have to improve if they are to build on last season's FA Cup success and challenge for silverware on a more regular basis. "It's great. If you are going to win trophies you need fantastic players and he is another of them," Barry said of Nasri. "Anyone of that quality who comes into our squad is going to help us."

Barry added: "I've not known anything like it before - maybe you could talk about the England squad, where it's full of great players and you find it tough to get your place. "It's going to be one of those seasons at club level now. "We just hope we can go far in all competitions. "We might have to be patient sometimes if you're asked to miss out on certain games. We all realise we're not going to be able to play every game."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Thursday 25th August 2011

613375_33_preview.jpg

Madrid reject Arsenal's Kaka bid

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has failed in his bid to sign Real Madrid midfielder Kaka on loan.

The Gunners are desperately in need of reinforcement in midfield following the departures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri within two weeks.

Currently faced with intense scrutiny over his miserly ways in the transfer market, Wenger has decided to make a statement of intent by launching a bid to acquire Kaka's services.

But according to The Daily Mail newspaper, Madrid have swiftly rejected the Gunners' latest attempt to prise the Brazilian playmaker to the Emirates on loan.

It is believed that the Spanish giants will only consider a permanent move for the 29-year-old, who has struggled to regain his best form at the Santiago Bernabeu.

Jose Mourinho is also looking to get Kaka's £153,000-a-week salary off the clubs' books but will be expecting nothing short of £17.5million for the former World Player of the Year.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

641021_33_preview.jpg

Meireles injury blow for Liverpool

Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish revealed that Raul Meireles is facing "a few weeks" on the sidelines .

Exeter City 1-3 Liverpool

He suffered a collarbone injury during Wednesday night's 3-1 Carling Cup second-round win at Exeter. The Portuguese midfielder left the field clutching his shoulder after coming off second best in a challenge with Grecians defender Danny Coles after just 19 minutes. Dalglish does not know exactly how long Meireles will be out for but said: "Raul has hurt his collarbone. I don't know what the technical term is but he fell heavily.

"He will come back with us and we will see how long it is before he is back. "We don't know how serious it is but it'll be a few weeks." The win, Dalglish's 200th as Reds boss, was inspired by a masterful performance from Luis Suarez. The Uruguayan, left on the bench for the weekend win at Arsenal, opened the scoring with a controlled volley after 23 minutes before setting up second-half goals for Maxi Rodriguez and substitute Andy Carroll.

There was other good news in the form of Martin Skrtel getting through 90 minutes in his first action since returning from a calf problem, while Danny Wilson was an assured presence alongside him in defence. And Dalglish was delighted to see his side show such application against their League One opponents. He said: "Martin Skrtel got through the game no problem, Danny Wilson got 90 minutes, Andy Carroll gets his first goal of the season and Maxi got a goal. We are quite happy we have gone through.

"The most pleasing thing was the attitude we had when we went on the pitch. If we didn't have that, we weren't going to win." Dalglish's strong selection saw the likes of Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson, Pepe Reina and Suarez all start, and suggested that the Scot sees the competition as a chance to secure silverware as opposed to simply give game time to his second-choice players.

He said: "We will treat the Carling Cup like any other game. The next one is a league match against Bolton, but we will be totally committed and focussed to try and win that." Paul Tisdale's side pulled a late goal back through striker Daniel Nardiello, who found the net from the spot after being brought down by a clumsy Skrtel challenge. And the Grecians boss was happy with the effort put in by the League One club, but acknowledged the class of their opponents.

"I am proud of the way we played, the boys can be pleased with what they showed and it was nice to get on the scoresheet," he said. "I am more than happy with how we came back after a slow start and tried to play. "We were expecting a strongish side and they had an extremely strong bench, so we knew we didn't want to score too early in case they brought that bench on! "The chance we had just before half-time was a really good chance and we had a couple of other chances but it is always difficult when you come up against players of that quality."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

661391_33_preview.jpg

Juan Mata completes Chelsea switch

Chelsea have completed the signing of Valencia winger Juan Mata on a five-year deal.

The 23-year-old becomes Andre Villas-Boas' fourth signing of the summer, following the arrivals of Oriol Romeu, Romelu Lukaku and Thibaut Courtois. Mata could make his debut in Saturday's clash with Norwich and moves to Stamford Bridge for a reported fee of £23.5million. "Right from the first moment there have been good feelings all around me," Mata told the club's official website, www.chelseafc.com.

"Training has been great and the players are a great group to train with. "Valencia was a big club anyway but I have left to join a bigger club and it is all about the opportunity to win trophies and I have that here." Mata becomes the third Spaniard at the Blues, linking up with the aforementioned Romeu and fellow Spain international Fernando Torres.
"Fernando got me excited about the thought of coming here," Mata said.

"He said it would be good for me here and that me and him together could be good. "I also talked to my family and friends about it as well." The former Real Madrid winger's father, also named Juan Mata, played professionally for Burgos and Salamanca, leading the player to add: "This is obviously a big thing for me, to have a father who knows football.
"He has always given me good advice and I never had a problem because he was there to help.

"Despite there being football in my family, I always wanted to have skills other than football so I studied while I was in Madrid. "It wasn't easy but I wanted to do it, and I learned about marketing and sports science." While Torres and his father had an influence on his move to west London, Mata admits it was manager Villas-Boas that ultimately made him decide to end his four-year spell at the Mestalla.

"He said he wanted Chelsea this season to play more attacking football, and that I would be a big part of that," he added. "Villas-Boas is someone who won almost everything last year and we are both here with the idea of winning lots this season. "The plan is that I can play on either flank or even in the middle playing in between the lines of midfield and attack. "I like to keep the ball and use it well, I am an attacking player and above all I like to set up goals and score them also.

"I want to adapt as quickly as possible to my new surroundings, my colleagues and this league, and I would love to win a trophy in my first season. "If it can be the Premier League then great." The move brings a quick conclusion to the transfer after Valencia accepted an offer on Sunday evening. Mata trained with his new team-mates for at Cobham earlier on Wednesday and could feature for Villas-Boas' side this weekend.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

660844_33_preview.jpg

Man City complete Nasri capture

Manchester City have finally completed the protracted signing of Samir Nasri from Arsenal.

City have been chasing the France midfielder for most of the summer and on Wednesday afternoon announced his capture on a four-year contract. The fee for the 24-year-old has not yet been disclosed but is thought to be around the £24million mark.

Samir Nasri Factfile
The capture of Nasri, who could make his debut in this Sunday's Barclays Premier League game at Tottenham, continues City's remarkable spending of recent years. He is the club's fourth major signing of the summer transfer window following the club record £38million purchase of Sergio Aguero and defenders Stefan Savic and Gael Clichy. Nasri had just one year remaining on his contract at Arsenal, whom he joined in 2008, and the London club have agreed to sell now rather than risk losing him on a free transfer next summer.

Champions and rivals Manchester United were also reportedly interested in Nasri but the Etihad Stadium always seemed the more likely destination. After months of speculation Arsenal yesterday announced they had reached a deal with City for the player's transfer. Nasri trained with the Gunners for the final time yesterday morning before being omitted from their squad for Wednesday night's Champions League qualifier against Udinese.

Arsenal have been reluctant to part with one of their prized assets - whose departure follows that of former captain Cesc Fabregas - and City may well have pulled out had Nasri become cup-tied. That could have cost the London club a huge transfer fee with Nasri having made clear his desire to leave by refusing a new deal. Nasri is a product of the Marseille youth system and made his debut for the French club at the age of 17.

Last season was his best since his £15.8million move to Arsenal, with 15 goals and a nomination for Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year. It remains to be seen whether this deal will mark the end of City's summer spending with manager Roberto Mancini recently saying he would like to make two or three more signings before this month's transfer deadline.

For Mancini, the capture signals the end of a five-year pursuit of Nasri. He told www.mcfc.co.uk: "He's a fantastic player because he has technique, he has mentality. "I knew him when he played for Marseille. I followed him when I was at Inter and we wanted to take him five years ago. "But I think in the last few years in the Premier League he's improved a lot. Now I think he's a top player."

Champions Manchester United were also linked with Nasri but City always seemed the more likely destination. Arsenal had been reluctant to part company with one of their prized assets - particularly so soon after losing former captain Cesc Fabregas - but Nasri's determination to leave appears to have forced their hand.

Nasri was withdrawn from the Arsenal squad for Wednesday's Champions League qualifier against Udinese and instead allowed to travel to Manchester to discuss terms. P
laying in that game would have cup-tied him and therefore reduced his value. Arsenal have at least made profit on the player they signed from his hometown Marseille for £15.8million in 2008.

His outstanding form last season, in which he scored 15 goals and was nominated for the Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year award, made him an attractive target for other clubs. Yet despite his brilliance, it remains to be seen how Mancini will best deploy his latest acquisition in a side already brimming with exciting talent.

Mancini added: "He's a player maybe like David Silva but the difference from David is he can play also in the middle. "Samir can play like a midfielder but he can play also near the striker because he has technique, he can score, he can assist." When asked if Nasri and Spain playmaker Silva can play together, Mancini added: "Yes. They can play one left and one right.

"They are not wingers but David starts always like a winger and then goes in the middle, plays where the ball is, near the striker." It might also not be the end of big-spending City's summer recruitment drive with Mancini recently saying he would like to make two or three signings before this month's transfer deadline. The club are also conscious, however, of their obligations under UEFA's financial fair play rules and any moves would require careful consideration.

Last edited:

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

644305_33_preview.jpg

Coates: I prefer Liverpool to Man City

Sebastian Coates has confirmed that he would prefer a move to Liverpool rather than Manchester City.

Both Premier League clubs have made moves for the Uruguayan central defender, who is currently playing in his homeland with Nacional. The 20-year-old revealed earlier this week that he expected a decision to be made on his future by the weekend. Now Coates has confirmed that Liverpool would be his preferred destination, mainly due to the influence of compatriot Luis Suarez, who is currently at Anfield.

"I'd prefer Liverpool to Manchester City, but would need to see what they have to offer and would compare them," Coates told Ovacion. "But having the help of Luis Suarez would be very important. I will be going to England, we are just missing a few details now. "The Liverpool offer ticks all boxes, so fair to say it's a done deal. Luis's success is important for me as another Uruguayan joining.

"Liverpool is a club with great tradition and history, and Luis would be a great help to me. Suarez has spoken to Kenny Dalglish and his managers about my signing. "He said it will be great having a Uruguayan with him, we chatted for quite a while, as he is someone I know well." Coates shunned offers from elsewhere in Europe and admits he was waiting for the Premier League.

"My intention was always to wait, there were many rumours that I wanted England, but nothing concrete. Fortunately we have now received the offer," he said.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

660598_33_preview.jpg

United to face weakened Arsenal

Both Manchester sides will try to keep their 100% records in the Barclays Premier League, with United welcoming Arsenal.

United defender Phil Jones is confident he can be a success at Old Trafford, despite the expectations at the club whose fans expect it to win trophies like the Premier League title every season. United are joint top of the early-season table with two wins from as many games alongside rivals Manchester City and surprise package Wolves going into Sunday's tough home game against Arsenal.

Jones, signed in the summer following a fine debut season for Blackburn, said on www.manutd.com: "You know the expectations here are big, but you feel that in every game you play for any team. "You've got to go out and do the business on the pitch and it's no different here. It's just fantastic to be part of such an exciting squad - there's such a great mix of young and experienced players."

Jones has enjoyed his time so far with the Red Devils, and has been happy to get pre-season under his belt. He added: "I've settled in really well and I'm very happy here. It was good to spend time with the lads on tour - that helped a lot in terms of getting to know everyone and they've all made me feel really welcome."

The problems facing United's opponents at Old Trafford on Sunday, Arsenal, have eased somewhat after a traumatic time for the club and manager Arsene Wenger. The Gunners sit in the bottom half of the table with one point from two games after a poor start to the season which has been mirrored by problems off the field as well.

The sales of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri, to Barcelona and Manchester City respectively, have weakened the team who will be without Gervinho, Alex Song and Emmanuel Frimpong to face United because of suspension. Midfielder Jack Wilshere is struggling with an ankle injury too, but Laurent Koscielny (back), Nicklas Bendtner, Abou Diaby (both ankle), Kieran Gibbs (hamstring) and Sebastien Squillaci could be available.

Table-toppers Manchester City visit Tottenham who play their first home league match of the season after their opening fixture of the campaign had to be postponed because of rioting in London. City manager Roberto Mancini will hope to have Nasri available and that he will make the same impact as fellow summer signing Sergio Aguero who has netted two goals in as many Premier League games since his move from Atletico Madrid.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has had his own transfer saga to deal with over Luka Modric's stated desire to join Chelsea. Tottenham have so far rejected Chelsea's advances for the player, and Redknapp hopes the matter can be put to bed after revealing chairman Daniel Levy had been in touch with the Stamford Bridge club.

Redknapp said: "He said he spoke to Chelsea and he told them, 'Let's put an end to this because it's not going to happen'.'' Redknapp is working on signing City striker Emmanuel Adebayor on loan but the deal, even if done in time for Sunday's game, would not allow the player to face his parent club.

There are doubts over several Tottenham players because of injury - Steven Pienaar (groin), Wilson Palacios (knee), Jermaine Jenas (Achilles), Ledley King (knee), Alan Hutton (knee), William Gallas (calf) and Sandro (knee). In the other Sunday fixtures Newcastle play Fulham, with the Magpies' midfielder Joey Barton poised to move to QPR, and West Brom are at home to Stoke with the former looking for their first point of the season.

Wolves and Aston Villa find themselves in the top four after both have made a good start to the season and they face off on Saturday at Villa Park. The other Saturday fixtures see Blackburn play Everton, Chelsea at home to Norwich, Liverpool take on Bolton, Swansea face Sunderland and Wigan play QPR.

Match Fixtures

Saturday

Aston Villa vs Wolverhampton W.

Wigan vs Queens Park R.

Blackburn R. vs Everton

Chelsea vs Norwich C.

Swansea C. vs Sunderland

Liverpool vs Bolton W.

Sunday

Newcastle U. vs Fulham

Tottenham H. vs Manchester C.

West Bromwich A. vs Stoke C.

Manchester U. vs Arsenal

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 26th August 2011

662165_33_preview.jpg

Agent: Pieters will join Newcastle

Defender Erik Pieters will leave PSV Eindhoven for Newcastle in the coming days, according to his agent Piet van der Pol.

The Holland international has been linked with a move to St James' Park during this summer's transfer window and is earmarked to replace Jose Enrique, who left for Liverpool earlier this month.

"Newcastle's interest is very serious and Erik finds the club a real challenge," Van der Pol told the Dutch media.

"I don't know the exact numbers of Newcastle's offer, but I'm pretty sure that the transfer will go ahead."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 26th August 2011

560950_33_preview.jpg

Barrera joins Zaragoza on loan

West Ham winger Pablo Barrera has joined Primera Division side Real Zaragoza on a season-long loan.

The Mexico winger travelled to Spain today for a medical, with the West Ham website explaining the player had been loaned out "after struggling to adapt to life to London since his arrival from Mexico because of language and personal reasons".

The 24-year-old, who joined the npower Championship club in July 2010 from Nacional, started the Hammers' Carling Cup defeat by Aldershot on Wednesday.

Barrera's only previous appearance this season was a substitute in the opening-day defeat by Cardiff.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 26th August 2011

662143_33_preview.jpg

Tottenham confirm Falque loan move

Tottenham tonight announced a second loan signing, with Juventus midfielder Yago Falque joining following Emmanuel Adebayor into White Hart Lane.

The season-long signing of the 21-year-old Spaniard was announced a short while after Adebayor joined in a similar arrangement from Tottenham. A statement on Spurs' official website, www.tottenhamhotspur.com, read: "We are delighted to announce the signing of Yago Falque on a season-long loan from Juventus."

Falque started his professional career at Barcelona before moving to Juventus, where he has been loaned out to Bari and Villarreal B over the last two seasons. "Yago loves big challenges and this with Spurs is very important," the player's agent and father Yago Falque Snr was quoted as saying on skysports.com earlier on Thursday.

"It will be hard, but he will fight for his place." Falque, a Spain Under-21 international, is the third youngster to arrive at White Hart Lane this summer following the signings of former Barcelona player Cristian Ceballos and 16-year-old Souleymane Coulibaly from Siena. Spurs are short of options in midfield thanks to injuries to the likes of Sandro, Steven Pienaar and unsettled star Luka Modric.

They have also have been strongly linked with a move for Real Madrid's Lassana Diarra, although he appeared pessimistic about his chances of a move to White Hart Lane when he told Spanish newspaper AS this morning: "There is no agreement with Tottenham and I do not think there will be. "I have a contract with Real Madrid until 2013 and Jose Mourinho is my coach."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 26th August 2011

656348_33_preview.jpg

Man United rule out further arrivals

Manchester United chief executive David Gill has ruled out any late moves before the transfer window closes.

A potential move for Inter Milan ace Wesley Sneijder refuses to go away with the Dutchman linked with a switch to Old Trafford all summer. However, Gill insists Sir Alex Ferguson is happy with the squad at his disposal and has no plans to bring in any new faces before Wednesday's transfer deadline.

"I don't think there will be another arrival," said Gill. "We're very comfortable with that. We've looked at various players but we're comfortable with the squad. "We'll progress now and I'm sure Sir Alex will get the best out of them over the next few months. "We're very happy with the squad.

"We've made some great additions and are well equipped for the months ahead." As such, it seems likely that goalkeeper David de Gea, defender Phil Jones and winger Ashley Young will be the only arrivals at Old Trafford this summer.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 26th August 2011

662493_33_preview.jpg

Fletcher back for Manchester United

Darren Fletcher is back in the Manchester United squad for Sunday's Barclays Premier League showdown with Arsenal after recovering from a stomach virus.

The Scotland midfielder, 27, last featured for the Red Devils in the final game of the 2010-11 league campaign against Blackpool but had been sidelined for two months between early March and early May by the virus, which caused sudden weight loss. He suffered a relapse over the summer but manager Sir Alex Ferguson confirmed this on Friday morning: "Fletcher is in the squad. He is back now."

He also revealed that defender Rio Ferdinand was back in training following a hamstring injury and that winger Antonio Valencia was training well following an ankle injury. Ferguson expects captain Nemanja Vidic to be out for another month with a calf problem.

United face an Arsenal side which has taken just one point from their opening two league games and Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has found himself under unprecedented pressure in recent weeks, although their progress to the Champions League group stage in midweek has eased it.

Ferguson was astounded at the suggestion his great rival's position could be under threat, saying: "Who would replace Arsene Wenger? What he has done over the last 15 years... he is the best manager in Arsenal's history."

Ferguson was asked about the failure of Scotland's European representatives on Thursday night, with Rangers, Celtic and Hearts all eliminated from the Europa League to end the country's interest in continental club competition before the end of August.

"I bet you lot are loving it," Ferguson said. "You had to ask, didn't you? It is disappointing."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Friday 26th August 2011

662287_33_preview.jpg

Injury casts doubt on Gibson's move

The Guardian reports that Darron Gibson's transfer plans from Manchester United have now been cast under doubt after an ankle ligament injury.

Should the injury prove to be serious, it could take Gibson off the pitch for at least four weeks. Aston Villa and Blackburn Rovers had both showed interest in the midfielder, with the latter making a bid of £3.5 million. After a trip to the hospital on Thursday Gibson now has a protective cast on his right foot. He has to wait for the swelling to subside before an x-ray can determine the nature and seriouness of his injury.

Sir Alex Ferguson had struck the 23-year-old off his plans and Gibson has been looking to join another club after a deal with Sunderland fell through. The Irish international was omitted from United's pre-season tour in the United States, and has yet to make the first-team squad this season. While United will persist in trying to strike a deal before the end of the transfer window, the club now faces the problem of Gibson's injury deterring potential interest.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Bolton reject Arsenal bid for Cahill

26 August 2011

12427256840.jpg

Bolton Wanderers manager Owen Coyle has confirmed that Arsenal have had a bid rejected for defender Gary Cahill. The centre-back has only a year remaining on his contract with the Trotters and Coyle has maintained throughout the summer that the England international will be allowed to leave for the right price.

Arsenal are looking to delve into the transfer market to spend the money received for Samir Nasri and Cesc Fabregas this summer and a partner for vice-captain Thomas Vermaelen is among the club's top priorities. However, Coyle has now revealed that the Gunners' offer, which is believed to be in the region of seven million pounds, falls way short of Bolton's valuation.

"There was a conversation between [chairman] Phil Gartside and a representative of Arsenal. I'm only passing this on as a third party, but the word 'derisory' doesn't even cover it," he said. "When I make an offer for a player, I'd like to think in the right ball park, but this wasn't even close."

"I spoke to Gary Cahill about it before the Macclesfield game, and he knows everything that's going on." Cahill signed for Bolton in 2008 for five million pounds from Aston Villa and has since won plaudits and three England caps for his assured displays at the heart of Wanderers' defence.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Saturday 27th August 2011

580214_33_preview.jpg

Henry: Liverpool years behind rivals

Liverpool owner John W Henry has said the club are "years behind" their rivals and it is too soon to think about a challenge for the Barclays Premier League title.

Optimism is high amongst Reds fans at the start of the first full season of Kenny Dalglish's second spell in charge, and many have pointed to their form over the second half of last season to suggest they could be outsiders for the title. But Henry is taking a more cautious approach, saying that this is a building season as he expects Manchester United to be the team to beat.

"Manchester United have done an incredible job of building a young, talented, deep squad," he told the Daily Telegraph. "I watched a number of their pre-season matches and they seemed in top form even then. We've just begun to build and are years behind them so we don't expect this to be our year to win the Premier League.

"Manchester City seem to have unlimited spending restraint and want all-star quality at each position. That will be hard to beat. This year our goal is to get back to the Champions League. "But it won't be at all easy and no one is expecting that, as there are six big clubs - among the best in Europe - fighting for four spots."

Henry, schooled in the American sporting system of player trades as an owner of the Boston Red Sox, admits football's transfer system came as a "shock" to him but says he is getting used to it. Liverpool have raised eyebrows since Henry arrived with big money deals to bring in the likes of Luis Suarez, Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson, but Henry rejects the idea they have overspent, particularly on the £35million Carroll and £20m Henderson.

"Everyone seemed to think that Liverpool was over-valuing British players this summer," he said. "But when the Premier League has the whole world to choose players from and there is a substantial homegrown rule, British players are going to be highly valued. "Look at the prices paid this year for (Connor) Wickham and (Alex) Chamberlain. At Liverpool we have purchased each player for a different reason and are headed in a different direction."

Henry criticised the previous Anfield regime under Tom Hicks and George Gillett, saying the pair left Liverpool in a hole it will take time to dig out of. "For a number of years players of quality were being sold and players of lesser quality were being purchased," he said. "The club wasn't being run by people with the kind of discipline it takes to be successful over the long term.

"It's odd to be criticised by some who think we are overspending. The worry seemed to be that we wouldn't spend. "But we've been consistent, we intend to strengthen this club annually but that doesn't mean we will deficit spend. It's up to us to strengthen revenues. Only then will we be strong enough to compete in Europe."

Henry hopes UEFA's new financial fair play rules will help Liverpool catch up more quickly, but only if they are properly enforced. Henry has already questioned City's naming rights deal, worth a reported £300million, and wants reassurances that clubs will not be able to circumvent the rules. "The question remains as to how serious UEFA is regarding this," he said.

"It appears that there are a couple of large English clubs that are sending a strong message that they aren't taking them seriously, yet large clubs in Italy are. "Maybe it's necessary for other associations to act. I believe the Football League has adopted these protocols. They have to be congratulated on that."

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

639457_33_preview.jpg

Liverpool confirm Insua exit

Emiliano Insua has left Liverpool to join Sporting Lisbon on a five-year deal, the Barclays Premier League club have confirmed.

Insua became surplus to requirements at Anfield following the arrival of Jose Enrique from Newcastle.

The 22-year-old said he was looking forward to a new challenge in Portugal.

"I am delighted to start training and playing here," he told Sporting's website.

"Sporting is one of the big Portuguese clubs and is recognised for having top players.

"The club is always looking to win titles. I will give everything for Sporting."

Insua joined Liverpool from Boca Juniors, initially on loan, in January 2007.

He made 44 appearances for the club but was sent out on loan to Galatasaray last season.

ballsathome

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

556995_33_preview.jpg

Fulham hit by Davies injury blow

Fulham midfielder Simon Davies faces up to five months on the sidelines after suffering complications with a knee injury.

The 31-year-old was expected to be back in the Cottagers set-up soon after returning to training but the injury is more complicated than first thought.

Davies is still experiencing problems with the bone in his right knee and could now be out until next year.

"Simon has a pretty tough injury," said manager Martin Jol this afternoon. "He will be out for the next couple of months."

When questioned further, the Dutchman added: "It is a technical thing. It could be four to five months."