• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

WICKED the musical

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seen wicked the musical, i would highly recommend anyone to watch it.

But I find the non english one very amusing.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lWWdBCYp1bI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xsNnmUvRzlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

german one, come on, even if you dun speak english, you will enjoy the original score. why would they make a non english one, the dutch is going to make one too. OMG.

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
wk_mainBanner_2010.gif

26223_395121656808_95856286808_4294804_3725077_n.jpg

26223_395121671808_95856286808_4294806_2715708_n.jpg

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
REVIEW of London WICKED musical

5 stars - The Sunday Telegraph review

The Sunday Telegraph

'ONE OF THE BIGGEST HITS OF OUR AGE'

Vanessa Thorpe, The Observer, March 2010

CRITICS' CHOICE

'It's exhilarating to see hefty themes tackled in a barnstorming piece of popular entertainment.'

Time Out, 2011
READ MORE

'THE BEST MUSICAL OF THE DECADE.'

Entertainment Weekly, 2010

'THE HIT MUSICAL WITH BRAINS, HEART AND COURAGE.'

The Sunday Telegraph, 2009
READ MORE

'THE BIGGEST MUSICAL IN THE WORLD RIGHT NOW.'

Andrew Lloyd Webber, The Times, 2010

'ONE OF THE WEST END'S LONGEST RUNNING HITS.'
Daily Mail, 2009

'By any yardstick (or broomstick), WICKED IS A PHENOMENON.'
Sky News, 2008
READ MORE

'THIS BLOCKBUSTER MUSICAL IS FABULOUSLY ENTERTAINING.
If you're looking for a spectacular production with all the trimmings, then WICKED is the obvious choice'

Amira Hashish, Evening Standard, 2008
READ MORE

''A FEAT OF MUSICAL ENGINEERING.'

Dominic Cavendish, The Daily Telegraph, 2010
READ MORE

'THE BIGGEST THING IN MUSICALS SINCE THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA OPENED 24 YEARS AGO.'

Ben Hoyle, The Times, Friday 26 March, 2010
READ MORE

''Wicked is everything a musical can be: POIGNANT, SINCERE, FUNNY AND INSPIRING.'

Gary Brackett, totallytheatre.com
READ MORE

'FOUR YEARS ON AND WICKED HAS LOST NONE OF ITS MAGIC.
This glittering revisionist story set in the Land of Oz has all the right ingredients: great songs, eye-popping costumes, brilliant dancing and engaging performances.'

Mark Ogier, Islington Tribune, 2010
READ MORE

'WICKED IS SPECTACULAR, VIBRANT, FULL OF BIG SHOW-STOPPING SONGS AND FUNNY.
It is also touching and comes with a strong message about standing up for what you believe in and being comfortable in your own skin...whether it is green or not.'

Katherine Redmond, Indielondon.co.uk, April 2010
READ MORE

'LONDON MUSICAL DELIVERS A SPECIAL MAGIC'.

Emma Dance, The Bath Chronicle, March 2010
READ MORE

'ECHOES OF OZ IN MAGNIFICENT WEST END SHOW THAT TAKES YOU TO ANOTHER WORLD'.

Su Carroll, West Morning News, March 2010
READ MORE

'ONE OF THE BEST BIG LONDON SHOWS.
Wicked tells the story of the early friendship between Glinda The Good and the Wicked Witch of the West - a sort of prequel the famous Wizard of Oz film.
It scores above other shows by having witty dialogue as well as big show songs and fabulous costumes and sets.'

Jane Dawson, Yorkshire Evening Post, April 2010

'You certainly see where your money goes in this FABULOUSLY STAGED, EMOTIONALLY CHARGED AND BRILLIANTLY WITTY MUSICAL. If you are looking for value-for-money entertainment, WICKED is hard to beat.'
Jo Russell, Absolute Radio, 2009

'WICKED WILL ENTRANCE EVERY GENERATION IN WONDER, WIT AND SUSPENSE.’
Erika Scarth, Time Out, 2009

‘Packed with shocks, sorcery, special effects and incredible costumes,
WICKED IS A WEST END SENSATION.’

Daily Mail

'ONE OF THE GREAT HITS OF BROADWAY AND THE WEST END.'
I'd Do Anything, BBC1

'A WICKED AND WONDERFUL VISION OF OZ.

A remarkable kaleidoscope of magical shocks, surprises and sensations - WICKED works like a dream.'

Nicholas de Jongh, Evening Standard

READ MORE

“WICKED combines spectacular visuals and production values with an ingenious story, brilliant performances and genuine emotion.’

Tim Lichfield, Absolute Radio, 2008

'The award-winning WICKED provides the backstory of The Wizard of Oz – effectively the framing of the not-remotely-wicked Wicked Witch of the West. This sumptuous show brings new moral complexity to the unseen Dorothy’s adventures on the Yellow Brick Road, it’s subtle and subversive – and suitable for all ages.'

Simon Edge, Daily Express

'LONDON’S BIGGEST AND BEST BLOCKBUSTER MUSICAL.

WICKED is awesome from start to finish. It’s must-see.'

Toby Anstis, Heart 106.2 FM

‘A MASSIVE, MAGICAL HIT, WICKED IS AWESOME ENTERTAINMENT.

An unforgettable, enchanting triumph that dazzles the senses and touches the heart.’

Lynn Parsons, Smooth Radio

‘PREPARE TO BE SPELLBOUND!

London’s top hit musical continues to dazzle and delight. WICKED remains one of the very best, most spectacular shows in the West End. Big hearted and courageous, it’s a no-brainer – you must see WICKED!
IT’S THE SENSATION OF THEATRELAND.’

Jamie Crick, Classic FM

'A WIZARD HIT.

You get a lot of bang for your buck - expense has not been spared on sets, costumes, prosthetic make-up and masks, while the dance routines and flying sequences are spectacular. But the visual extravaganza would be nothing without the subtler pleasures to be derived from the clever and rather cheeky way WICKED links arms with the classic Wizard of Oz story.'

Jasper Rees, The Sunday Times

'WICKED IS SIMPLY FANTASTIC. A brilliantly twisted take on The Wizard of Oz.'

Natalie Jameson, BBC Radio 1

‘THE WEST END’S MOST SUCCESSFUL NEW MUSICAL.’

The Independent on Sunday

'A GREAT BIG LUSCIOUS BROADWAY EXTRAVAGANZA.

WICKED has been around for more than a year but this hit musical is just as powerful as ever.
It's a fabulous night out.'

Liz Hoggard, Evening Standard

READ MORE

‘ENCHANTING, BEWITCHING AND SPELLBINDING. WICKED IS A MAGICAL SHOW.’

Sam Carlisle, The Sun

‘A MAJOR HIT WITH AUDIENCES AND CRITICS ALIKE. WICKED IS AN AMAZING SUCCESS.’

Brenda Emmanus, BBC London News

'Blockbuster entertainment, sophisticated comedy and thought-provoking drama - it is magnificent to see a musical that manages to be both populist and intelligent at the same time.’

Tim Walker, The Sunday Telegraph, 2006

READ MORE

‘A BRILLIANT PRODUCTION.’

Tim Walker, The Sunday Telegraph, 2007

READ MORE

'Packed with wit, storming songs and beautiful costumes, WICKED IS AN ABSOLUTE BLAST.'

Colin Campbell, The Guardian

'WICKED IS A PHENOMENON AND PHENOMENAL.'

Mark Shenton, Sunday Express

'IT'S NOT JUST WICKED, IT'S AWESOME!

Full of suspense, surprises and Harry Potter-style magic, WICKED IS A SPELLBINDING EXPERIENCE.'

Paul Phear, Magic 105.4

'Based on the great novel by Gregory Maguire and with music and lyrics by the genius Stephen Schwartz, WICKED IS SPELLBINDING.'

Sandi Toksvig, The Sunday Telegraph

'ENTER ANOTHER WORLD AND PREPARE TO DISCOVER A PARALLEL UNIVERSE TO THE WIZARD OF OZ. You can hear a pin drop while the audience in a packed theatre are totally caught up in the fantastic story, and then the place erupts with laughter, cheering, applause and, at the curtain call, a thunderous standing ovation. WICKED IS WONDERFUL.’

Roger Foss, The Steve Allen Show, LBC 97.3

CRITIC'S CHOICE

'WICKED PACKS A SURPRISING EMOTIONAL PUNCH.'

Clifford Bishop, The Sunday Times

‘WICKED IS WONDERFUL. The production is brilliant and the script is engaging and witty. Forget the Emerald City, I was in goose-bump city! A MAGICAL EVENING.’

Beth Hardie, The Mirror

'A SPELLBINDING SHOW. A THRILLING THEATRICAL EXPERIENCE WITH BRAINS, HEART AND COURAGE.'

Siobhan Murphy, Metro

'WICKED CASTS A SPELL OVER THE WEST END LIKE NO OTHER SHOW.

Stunning performances make WICKED the most unmissable production London has seen in a decade. If that were not enough, the finale of Act One is truly breathtaking and the end of Act Two will have you in tears. A TRULY SPECTACULAR AND MAGICAL NIGHT OUT: MISS IT AT YOUR PERIL!'

Steve Allen, LBC 97.3

‘THE MOST INCREDIBLE MUSICAL I HAVE SEEN IN YEARS.

An unbelievable show with an amazing cast, amazing special effects and incredible costumes. WICKED takes your breath away.’

Phillip Schofield, This Morning, ITV1

'THE BRILLANT WICKED IS A MUST-SEE.'

Danny Pietroni, Magic 105.4

'PACKED WITH SPECTACULAR COUPS DE THÉÂTRE AND MAGICAL EFFECTS.

WICKED proves far more enjoyable than I dared to hope.'

Charles Spencer, The Daily Telegraph

'You can see exactly where your money goes: the sets and costumes are spectacular and the fantastic story grabs and holds the attention of all age groups. WICKED IS A SPELLBINDING SENSATION.’

Roger Foss, The Steve Allen Show, LBC 97.3

‘A prequel shaped for our Harry Potter era, WICKED dares to subvert the whole Wizard of Oz myth. The story is inventive & suspenseful.’

Alastair Macaulay, Financial Times

'AN EYE-POPPINGLY LAVISH SHOW.

A musical about the casting of spells seems to have duly cast its own and hypnotises audiences who have embraced it as not so much a musical as an event. Joe Mantello's meticulous recreation of his Broadway production is a superbly staged exercise in crowd control and stage-craft with Cirque du Soleil-like production values. The result taps into a genuine public appetite for spectacle, art and heart.'

Mark Shenton, Sunday Express

'A GREAT HIT MUSICAL.

A spectacular production with extraordinary, wonderful singing. A magnificent evening. How can something this good be wicked?! '

Terry Wogan, BBC Radio 2

'THE BEST MUSICAL I'VE EVER SEEN. WHAT A FANTASTIC SHOW.'

Russell Pocket, Smooth Radio

'QUITE SIMPLY, WICKED IS THE BEST SHOW IN TOWN.

A real Broadway smash, right here in London! Full of sparkle, mischief and a great score - I could watch it every night of the week and still want more. The whole show is so visually spectacular that I can't imagine anyone not being blown away by this truly 'wicked' twist to The Wizard of Oz tale.'

Caroline Feraday, LBC 97.3

'Joe Mantello's production is a spine-tingling mix of laugh-out-loud wit and deft dance routines with a political punch. The performances and effects are electrifying.'

Martha De Lacey, London Lite

READ MORE

'WICKED IS BEYOND AMAZING.

Arguably the best musical I have ever seen (and I have seen quite a few!), I loved the score, the cast were fabulous, staging and production values are exceptional. One of the most exciting things was being in an audience that reacted in the way they did.'

James Max, LBC 97.3

'Joe Mantello's production, with designs by Eugene Lee and costumes by Susan Hilferty, is A MIRACLE OF STAGING AND SHOWMANSHIP, full of witty allusions to the 1939 MGM movie, but equally determined to create its own visual world within a huge arrangement of cogs, lifts, steel structures and scenic daubs. The songs cover the full range of point numbers, anthems and power ballads with a sure grasp of satirical intent and emotional energy.'

Michael Coveney, whatsonstage.com

'IT'S WICKED! WICKED genuinely took my breath away, giving me the lift-descending tummy swoops that only a true musical can.'

Nicola Christie, The Independent

'SPELLBINDING. WICKED IS ALL SET TO BEWITCH THE WEST END.

Another global phenomenon has been born, like the British-born 'mega-musicals' Les Misérables, Cats, The Phantom of the Opera and Mamma Mia!'

Sunday Express

'I WAS BLOWN AWAY BY WICKED. I don't think I've ever seen or heard anything like it. It's so beautiful and powerful and it's just the most exquisite piece of theatre. The end of the first half is extraordinary - my heart was in my mouth.'

Lizzie Roper, LBC 97.3

'A WONDERFULLY WICKED NIGHT OUT - GO AND SEE IT!

WICKED has finally flown into the West End and it's been well worth the wait! It's everything I hoped for and more.'

Graham Rogers, Classic Gold

'A VAST AND SPECTACULAR STAGE EVENT.

To judge from the way the first night audience was cheering from the outset I suspect WICKED will, like The Lion King, prove triumphant for its sheer spectacle.'

Sheridan Morley, Daily Express

'A FUNNY, ENTERTAINING AND SPECTACULAR SHOW.

WICKED has professionalism, heart, commitment, beautifully honed performances and dazzling production skills. Stephen Schwartz's lyrics are spot on - beautifully crafted & very funny.'

Ruth Leon, Bloomberg News

'PREPARE TO BE SPELLBOUND.

A magical masterpiece of musical theatre. WICKED IS TRULY 'WICKED'!'

Becky Wicks, lastminute.com

READ MORE

'A WICKEDLY WONDERFUL SHOW.

I can't remember when I've heard singing with such power in the West End and seen a show with more twists and turns than the Yellow Brick Road. WICKED IS STUNNING AND SPELLBINDING.'

Sandy Warr, Classic Gold

'THE MOST SPECTACULAR SHOW IN TOWN. Go and see it - West End musicals don't get any better than WICKED.'

Ian Collins, Talk Sport

'IT'S WICKED!

An absolutely spectacular production and an absolute must see.'

Tim Lichfield, Capital 95.8

'WICKED IS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT. UNBELIEVABLY AMAZING. It's so good there was a well deserved standing ovation at the end.'

Rosie Kendrick, Smooth Radio

‘WICKED IS STUNNINGLY GOOD. A GREAT NIGHT OUT.’

Bill Buckley, LBC 97.3 FM

'WICKED IS TRULY AMAZING.

The set alone is worth going to see. With stunning performances, and the atmosphere that's created by hundreds of people like me captivated by the unique magic of this show, WICKED IS A MUST-SEE.'

Harriet Scott, Heart 106.2

'A BRILLIANT EVENING. WICKED is a true spectacle and a cracking night out.'

Lorraine Kelly, The Sun

‘I JUST LOVE WICKED. It's a fantastic show with great music and a terrific story. You absolutely have to go and see it – it's brilliant.’

Phillip Schofield, This Morning, ITV1

'A POTENT MIX OF BIG SOUNDS, FUN EFFECTS AND CRACKING STORYTELLING.

There’s still no place like WICKED.'

Milo Wakelin, Pink Paper

'WICKED IS MY FAVOURITE MUSICAL.

It’s the story that came before The Wizard of Oz. The sets and costumes are breathtaking, and the voices are amazing too.'

Zoe Tyler, Birmingham Mail

'WICKED IS THE BEST SHOW IN TOWN. DON’T MISS IT!'

Neil Sean, Sky News

'My review of WICKED could easily be summed up in four words: GO SEE IT NOW.

However, then I wouldn't get to mention the spectacular songs, cast, set and special effects that make this one of the best musicals I have seen. It's great fun and genuinely touching.'

Editor's Choice, In Britain Magazine

'A SPELLBINDING NIGHT OF ENCHANTMENT AND WONDER FOR ALL.'
Anthony Davis, Jazz FM

'MAGICAL, MARVELOUS AND MOVING - I LOVED IT.'
Paul Coia, Smooth Radio 102.2

'LONDON'S MOST ELECTRIFYING AND SPELLBINDING SMASH HIT MUSICAL.'
Paul Phear, Magic 105.4

'WICKED IS BRILLIANT, CLEVER, MAGICAL AND ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL.'
Andrew Pierce, LBC 97.3 FM

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wicked is a musical with music and lyrics by Stephen Schwartz and a book by Winnie Holzman. The story is based on the novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire, a parallel novel of the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz and L. Frank Baum's classic story The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. It is told from the perspective of the witches of the Land of Oz.

The show celebrated its seventh anniversary on October 30, 2010. It is currently the 17th longest-running Broadway show in history,[1] having played 3,094 performances as of March 27, 2011.[2] In the week ending January 2, 2011, the London, Broadway, and both national touring productions all broke the record for the highest weekly gross.[3][4]

Wicked tells the story of Elphaba, the future Wicked Witch of the West, and her relationship with Galinda, later Glinda, the Good Witch of the North (in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz novel, Glinda is the Good Witch of the South). Their friendship struggles through their opposing personalities and viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, their reactions to the Wizard's corrupt government, and, ultimately, Elphaba's public fall from grace. The plot begins before and continues after Dorothy's arrival from Kansas, and includes several references to the events depicted in the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz as a backstory.

After tryouts at the Curran Theatre in May 2003 as part of SHN (Theatres) Broadway series in San Francisco, Wicked premiered in October 2003 on Broadway at the Gershwin Theatre. It was produced by Universal Pictures and directed by Joe Mantello, with musical staging by Wayne Cilento. The original stars were Idina Menzel as Elphaba, Kristin Chenoweth as Glinda, and Joel Grey as the Wizard.[5] Although the production received mixed reviews and was panned by The New York Times, it has proved to be a favorite among patrons. The Broadway production's success spawned productions in Chicago, Los Angeles, London's West End and San Francisco, as well as international productions in Japan, Germany, Australia and elsewhere, and two North American tours that have visited over thirty cities in Canada and the United States.

Wicked has broken box office records around the world, holding weekly-gross-takings records in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, St. Louis, and London, and the record for biggest opening in the West End (£100,000 in the first hour on sale).[6] Both the West End production and the North American tour have been seen by over two million patrons.[7] The show was nominated for ten 2004 Tony Awards, winning three, including for Best Actress (Menzel). It also won six Drama Desk Awards and an Olivier Award.

Synopsis

Wicked explores the concept that the Wicked Witch of the West, here known as Elphaba, is a misunderstood, victimized person whose behavior was merely a reaction against a charlatan wizard's corrupt government. It also shows her relationship with the beautiful and ambitious Galinda Upland, who ultimately becomes Glinda the Good Witch of the North.
[edit] Act I

The show opens as the citizens of Oz rejoice over the death of the Wicked Witch of the West. Glinda descends onto the stage and confirms the circumstances of the Witch's melting, and explains how the Witch was the result of a relationship her mother had with a stranger, and her father hated her for being green ("No One Mourns the Wicked"). The remainder of the plot forms an extended flashback through the events of Glinda's and the Witch's lives.

It starts at Shiz University ("Dear Old Shiz") when Glinda, then Galinda Upland, and Elphaba, along with her disabled sister Nessarose, start school together. Elphaba’s father instructs her to take care of Nessarose, his favorite, and presents his handicapped daughter with a beautiful pair of jeweled shoes (the Silver Shoes.) Madame Morrible, the Headmistress of Shiz University, introduces herself to the students and puts Galinda and Elphaba in a room together, much to their chagrin. However, once Morrible notices Elphaba’s innate magical talent, she declares that Elphaba could be the right-hand to the Wonderful Wizard of Oz someday, and Elphaba daydreams about what she and the wizard could accomplish together (“The Wizard and I”). Galinda and Elphaba then write home and reflect on their unfortunate roommate assignment (“What is this Feeling?”).

The audience is introduced to Dr. Dillamond, a Goat and Shiz University's only Animal professor, whose history class is interrupted by an anti-Animal demonstration. After dismissing the class, he confides in Elphaba that things in Oz are not what they seem to be; something is causing the Animals of Oz to lose their powers of speech ("Something Bad").

Fiyero Tiggelar, a Winkie prince, arrives at Shiz and immediately impresses his own brand of cavalier, carefree living on the students ("Dancing Through Life"). He organizes a party at a local ballroom. A munchkin named Boq (Galinda thinks his name is Bick) tries to ask Galinda to the ball, but Galinda, who wants Fiyero as her date, distracts him by telling him to invite Nessarose. Later, Galinda, while preparing, discovers a black pointed hat in a box and gives it to Elphaba as a “present"; Elphaba arrives wearing the hat, only to be ridiculed. Defiant, she proceeds to dance alone and without musical accompaniment. Madame Morrible shows up and presents Galinda with a training wand from Elphaba, who is grateful for Galinda's "kindness" towards her and Nessarose. Feeling guilty, Galinda joins Elphaba on the dance floor, marking the start of a new friendship between the two. After the dance, Galinda and Elphaba talk in their room; Galinda decides to give her new friend a makeover and to make her "Popular." Elphaba confesses that her father hates her because what happened to Nessarose is her fault; her mother ate too much of a special plant to prevent her next baby from being green. Nessarose's legs were permanently damaged, and her mother died giving birth to her. Galinda reveals that she's going to marry Fiyero; he just doesn't know it yet.

The next day, Ozian officials take away Doctor Dillamond. The new history teacher arrives with a caged lion cub (who will turn out to be the Cowardly Lion) as the subject of an in-class experiment, revealing that animals that are kept in cages never will learn how to speak. Outraged, Elphaba and Fiyero steal the cub and set it free. The two realize that they may have feelings for each other, but Fiyero leaves, embarrassed. Elphaba takes refuge under a bridge and states that it would be impossible for someone like Fiyero to love someone like her ("I'm Not That Girl"). Madame Morrible finds her and announces that she has been granted an audience with the Wizard. At the train station, Galinda and Fiyero see Elphaba off to the Emerald City. In an attempt to impress Fiyero, Galinda announces that she will change her name to "Glinda" in honor of Doctor Dillamond's persistent mispronunciation. Fiyero seems not to notice, focusing his attention instead on Elphaba, and feeling bad for Glinda, Elphaba invites her along to see the Wizard.

After a day of sightseeing in the Emerald City ("One Short Day"), Elphaba and Glinda meet the Wizard. Eschewing the special effects that he employs for the benefit of most visitors, he invites Elphaba to join him ("A Sentimental Man"). He tells Elphaba that Madame Morrible has told him all about her particularly strong abilities in sorcery, and reiterates that this is why he has invited her; simultaneously, out of the shadows, Madame Morrible herself suddenly appears, explaining that she had followed Elphaba to ensure that she was well-received, and that she now works alongside the Wizard as Press Secretary of the Land of Oz. Elphaba is very surprised to see Madame Morrible but does not express offence at having been followed, and congratulates her on her 'promotion'. It very quickly becomes apparent that Madame Morrible and the Wizard, far from being strangers as viewers had earlier been left to assume, in fact have a close personal friendship, and are in league together in a peculiarly unsettling way, the cause of which is not yet revealed.

As a test of her abilities, which the Wizard assures Elphaba he is already confident in, he asks that Elphaba give his monkey servant, Chistery, the ability to fly using the Grimmerie, an ancient book of spells. Elphaba demonstrates an innate understanding of the lost language, and successfully gives Chistery wings. It is then that the mood of this scene turns decidedly darker, for the Wizard, in prompting her to cast this spell, had not merely done so to give his single monkey servant wings. Showing her how powerful she really is, the Wizard excitedly reveals an enormous cage full of winged monkeys, and remarks that they will make good spies to report any subversive Animal activity. Madame Morrible is just as excited and exuberant, remarking that she had known that Elphaba could do this all along. But Elphaba is horrified. She recognizes that it is in fact Madame Morrible and the Wizard who are behind the political and social oppression of the Animals, and not extremists, as had been claimed by various people in Shiz before. It is also implicitly recognized that Madame Morrible, while publicly expressing what appeared to be deep regret over the firings and exiles of various Animal faculty members at Shiz University, had actually been the source of those very firings and exclusions the whole time. All of these connections gather rapidly in Elphaba's consciousness within a matter of a few seconds — and as they do, and her angry accusations towards both Morrible and the Wizard gather force, these two Oz Government administrators cease to hope that Elphaba will join them, and decide to regard her as an enemy subversive. Elphaba is more incredulous than angry at this point, hurt she has been used and that the Wizard has no power of his own, meaning that she cannot believe in him as a great man the way she had been doing all those years at school. Elphaba and Glinda both run away from the situation as fast as they can, the Grimmerie still in Elphaba's hands, pursued by the palace guards.

Elphaba and Glinda run into the tallest tower, where they hear Madame Morrible declaring to all of Oz that Elphaba is a "Wicked Witch" and is to be distrusted. Elphaba enchants a broomstick to fly, and tries to convince Glinda to join her in her cause, but Glinda cannot resist the call of popularity, and refuses. At that point, the Guards break down the tower door, rushing in and grabbing Glinda, assuming she is in league as a 'subversive'. But Elphaba, wielding the broomstick menacingly at the guards and screaming that Glinda "had nothing to do with it", at first knocks them back forcefully with an invisible repellent energy blast, and then levitates, defiantly singing down at the guards, and then at a crowd of angry Oz citizens, about how she plans to fight the Wizard with all of her power ("Defying Gravity"). Act 1 ends with Elphaba raising her broom in a revolutionary-style salute, after which the stage goes black.
[edit] Act II

Madame Morrible's smear campaign soon earns Elphaba the title "The Wicked Witch of the West". Glinda and Morrible hold a press conference to announce Glinda's surprise engagement to Fiyero ("Thank Goodness"). Meanwhile, Elphaba arrives at the governor's residence in Munchkinland seeking refuge; Nessarose, now the governess, criticizes Elphaba for not using her newfound powers to help her sister. Guilty, Elphaba enchants Nessarose's jeweled shoes, turning them into the ruby slippers and enabling her to walk. Boq, Nessarose's servant, is summoned and reveals that his affection for Nessarose was not real and his heart lies with Glinda. Furious, Nessarose casts a spell from the Grimmerie, causing Boq's heart to shrink. While Elphaba attempts to save him, Nessarose reflects on how her obsession with Boq has led her to oppress the Munchkins ("The Wicked Witch of the East"). Elphaba saves Boq by turning him into the Tin Woodman; horrified, Nessarose lays the blame with Elphaba.

Elphaba returns to the Wizard's palace in order to free the rest of the winged monkeys. The Wizard attempts to regain her favor by agreeing to set them free ("Wonderful"). Upon discovering a now-speechless Doctor Dillamond among the monkeys, Elphaba rejects his offer and attempts to escape, but runs into Fiyero. Confirming his true love for Elphaba, he runs off with her. Glinda sees this and is crushed that those closest to her have betrayed her ("I'm Not That Girl (Reprise)"). In an attempt to get back at Elphaba, Glinda reveals to Madame Morrible and the Wizard that Elphaba would do anything to save her sister, and on this information, Madame Morrible decides to create a cyclone that will endanger Nessarose.

In a dark forest, Fiyero and Elphaba express their love, but are interrupted when Elphaba senses that her sister is in danger ("As Long As You're Mine"). She flies off to help, but it is too late, arriving just as Glinda sends Dorothy Gale and Toto off along the Yellow Brick Road. The palace guards capture Elphaba, but Fiyero intervenes and allows Elphaba to escape before surrendering himself. The guards take him to a nearby cornfield to be tortured until he tells them of Elphaba's whereabouts. At her castle, Elphaba tries to cast any spell that she can to save Fiyero, but thinking that she has failed, she begins to accept her reputation as "wicked" ("No Good Deed").

Meanwhile, the Citizens of Oz and Boq prepare a witch-hunt ("March of the Witch Hunters"). Seeing this, Glinda travels to Elphaba's castle to persuade her to let Dorothy go, but Elphaba refuses. She makes Glinda promise not to clear her name and to take charge in Oz, and the two confirm a true friendship ("For Good"). As the mob arrives at the castle, Dorothy runs in and throws a bucket of water on Elphaba, melting her. Glinda, unsure of what has happened, sees that all that remains of her friend is her black hat and elixir vial. After mourning Elphaba's death, Glinda takes the elixir vial to the Wizard, revealing the fact that he is Elphaba's father after having an affair with her mother. Glinda tells the Wizard to leave Oz in his balloon and sends Morrible to prison, before preparing to face the citizens of Oz, returning to the opening scene of the show.

Fiyero, whom Elphaba had turned into the Scarecrow, opens a trapdoor in Elphaba's castle. Elphaba, very much alive, emerges and the two are happily reunited. Glinda addresses the citizens of Oz, proclaiming that she would like to be "Glinda the Good" as she will reform the government. Elphaba and Fiyero leave Oz forever as the cast performs the final song ("Finale").

Last edited:

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Li8cryWN2ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/72A4VG_3aiI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_f_6w_bVKM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/autaIWQHfeA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/APhUGOgbn2Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KT9uiNtLmxI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z4tWBetHvsA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J9D7y0omnN4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NXT1000

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tukRLeX6oNk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>