• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Just to share my blog and experience here...

VeeVee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey guys, am so glad I stumbled upon this forum. Some of the stories here are indeed inspiring and I look forward to reading more posts.

I'm a Singaporean currently living in Istanbul. Feel free to visit my blog on my experience: http://throughmyeyesandfeet.blogspot.com/

I'm actually giving myself another year in Istanbul and contemplating my next destination thus that's what got me here in midst of my research online. :smile:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hey guys, am so glad I stumbled upon this forum. Some of the stories here are indeed inspiring and I look forward to reading more posts.

I'm a Singaporean currently living in Istanbul. Feel free to visit my blog on my experience: http://throughmyeyesandfeet.blogspot.com/

I'm actually giving myself another year in Istanbul and contemplating my next destination thus that's what got me here in midst of my research online. :smile:

Hello V,
Welcome to this forum. Wow, it is amazing to find a Singaporean lady in Turkey.
To me, Istanbul is a big disorderly crowded city - perhaps because I was unable to make sense of the place. kekeke

Yes, ladies there has to be cautious of the men there - esp the ones who are exposed to the West (worked in Germany or US before) kekeke. Then, there are also some of those who are from the villages that are a bit too traditional.

What are you doing in Istanbul? Studying or working?

Last edited:

VeeVee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey Neddy! Yes you cldn't be more right, it's indeed messy though buzzing.
I love the ppl though, they're just so passionate about life and observing them humbles me as I realised I've always taken my good fortunes for granted. The Turks loves music and dancing, it's in their blood. Many a times I've witnessed them just breaking into a dance and singing at the streets, in the seabus or cafes. It never fails to make me laugh, I just love that about them!

Turkish men... Hmmm... Where do I start! Haha.... Actually the ones that I worry about are locally bred but on the whole, though they are charmers and sometimes pushy, most are harmless. They do have a notorious reputation for being love rats.

I reside in a modern Asian side of Istanbul. Ppl here are very European. They enjoy their wine in the afternoon with their cheese and they walk their huge dogs. The aunties and grandmas here are spotted with dyed puffy hair, salon tan and posh designer clothes especially the Baghdad Street area. During 'hari raya' the men will all wear suits, even the grandpas, completed with vests and sometimes bows - how adorable.

Lastly I'm an ESL teacher here, I teach English. It's been a crazy, frustrating, funny, humbling, wonderful experience here. The language problem can pose as a huge barrier to blend in with the locals (my Turkish is horrible!) but it also makes me see how genuine and lovely these ppl can be for e.g when i got lost and asked a Turk for directions in my halting Turkish mixed with English and if they don't understand me, chances are they won't leave me in a lurch. They'll ask other random strangers and next thing you know, everyone's trying to help you despite not knowing English and I couldnt help but be touched by their kind hearts. I mean... Can you imagine Singaporeans doing this? Lol..

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Nice to know that you are having a good time. I remembered Istanbul as a tourist, getting sweaty on the halting "modern" trams and traffic jams. I did get hassled by the locals and getting horned at by empty taxis. kekeke

I had to count the zeros in my lira for 1,000,000 and 100,000 because they are of the same color and similar in size. It was not fun getting mistaken for japanese.

The asian side of Bosporus is nice, the greenery of the hills, etc.

One good thing about the Turks is that they have shaken off the "Poor Man of Europe" label.

The Turks are quite liberated.
The belly-dancing clubs can be quite seedy.
I had stayed in hotels in Turkey where they screened x-rated movies at night free of charge.
So, I still think that a foreign lady has to be more cautious in Istanbul.

I loved the looks of Turkish girls, very fair and very alluring. The last time, I went into this village looking for carpets, and I was chased out because they did not welcome tourists. Then I managed to seek refuge in another village's men's club smoking water pipes. When I explained to the only guy who understand English, he told me that I had entered a villager's farm that had a daughter seeking a hubby (identified by placing a bottle on the roof). That was the reason why I was chased out. Pity! But I was given an olive soap.

The food was excellent as well - the vegs and fish. Surprising, I did not eat much meat.

Do you intend to travel around the country or have you done so?

VeeVee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Oh my gawd Neddy, I had a laugh reading your post! What a colorful experience, that was funny! Were you travelling with a tour group or on your own? Which part of Turkey is the village at?? That's interesting, I've never heard of the bottle on the roof concept. lol...

So you were at Turkey back when they were still using their million notes! Fortunately for me, I don't have a problem with that anymore cos they've totally shed off those millions! Not a whiz in Math, so I think it'll really do my head if I have to deal with them lol..

You are right, Turkish girls are gorgeous aren't they?! Damnnnn... In Baghdad St, most look like they've just stepped out of the set of Gossip Girls. The guys are equally good looking, at least around my region but they totally lost their charm now as I've grown TOTALLY SICK of Turkish lads well except for my bf hahaha...

I won't disagree with your statement that foreign women must be cautious in Istanbul. I can't remember the number of times I've been chatted up to and asked for my number. I've also been tailed a couple of times and surprise surprise, even my male students tried to hit on me lol... They fancy foreign gals alot it seems. My other foreign gfs had countless of similar encounter as well but hey after a while, we learnt to deal with it. I carry a pepper spray with me around, might need a taser soon muahaha...

Oh yes, tell me about the whole Japanese thingy!! Gawd!!!! SO DAMN ANNOYING!!! I think lotsa Sg gals would love to be mistaken as a Japanese but to someone who hates the whole 'kawaii' thingy and who's proudly Singaporean (though I hate living in Sg, the irony), it's damn irritating! I don't know why they can't think silently instead of having to audibly voice their thoughts out,"Japon, Japon!" It's equally irritating if not worse when they take me for a Chinese (PRC)! I've had one smart mouth telling me,"Ya too tall for a Chinese and too talkative for a Japanese so what are you?" -.-

I can't eat any more Turkish food man... I simply can't. Used to love them but I guess it wasn't true love afterall cos I'm so sick of them now. I brought back 17kgs of Asian food and spices from Sg few days ago haha... I can't afford to pay 27bucks for a plate of authentic Indian mutton briyani anymore! Yes, no kidding - 27 bucks.

Aside from Istanbul, I've been to Eskishehir, Cesme and Marmaris. I've also been to quick day trip to Greece and Cyprus on my own. I love Eskishehir cos the Turks there look rather Asian. They are of the 'Tata' descent and have oriental eyes and sharp features of a typical Turk. I find the combination fascinating. I really love the Tatas Turks for their unique looks. I've had old uncles and aunties studying me there, like I was a wax figure, trying to decide if I'm one of the 'Tatas' or an Asian!

Of coz nothing beats your village experience, I love that. My few Turkish friends are those really liberal bunch and my foreign friends (LOTSA Brits here) rather stick to the modern Istanbul thus I have no one who's keen to explore those village areas with me. As much as I really wanna witness the shocking and fascinating side of the crazily conservative and traditional village cultures, I dare NOT venture there alone lol.. Ya lucky to have an experience worthy of a good story telling session.

Whereabouts are you now Neddy?? Tell me more!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oh my gawd Neddy, I had a laugh reading your post! What a colorful experience, that was funny! Were you travelling with a tour group or on your own? Which part of Turkey is the village at?? That's interesting, I've never heard of the bottle on the roof concept. lol...

Whereabouts are you now Neddy?? Tell me more!

The bottle on the roof is village customs. I usually do independent travel, either for personal or business needs. Is your boyfriend Turkish? He may know about the village culture. Just make sure you keep him away from these unmarried girls. kekeke
I love the blondes with greenish eyes.

I was in the famous cotton farming area, near Marmaris, where I nearly got "punched" by the locals for saying Egyptian cotton are the best. REMEMBER, you have to say Denizli cotton is the best and Americans love them. It was a sleazy industry - cotton, dominated by a few rich barons.

I also stayed in the Turkish Rivera, there are some gorgeous resorts there. Not sure about now, but they used to be very popular with Russians.

But the currency of preference then was either the English pound or US dollars in these resort towns, depending on the local tourism industry. Either way, the Turks loathe the loud Americans and pity the penny-stinging British tourists! kekeke.

Away from Istanbul on the asian side, things can get pretty rough, there are some parts of turkey that are no safe for tourists, esp in the south-east.

I am now living in Perth Australia, where there is a small Turkish population.
I am stepping on the Turkish village carpet I bought from this grandma who took 2 years to make. I managed to find one, but lost out in the bargain. I still think I paid too much. This carpet has traditional village pattern. Very unique!

Last edited: