• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

$1m for person who reduces population

Powerman

With all these hoo haa going on, guess its only be more difficult to migrate to Oz going forward.

Isabel Hayes, AAP August 11, 2010, 1:45 pm 83 CommentsBuzz up! Send

Until now, Australian entrepreneur Dick Smith says he has never seen $1 million laid out in cold hard cash.

The aviation aficionado, five blonde bombshells and a chihuahua named Chilli gathered in Sydney's financial district on Wednesday with a suitcase filled with money to launch his new global award.

The Wilberforce Award, and the $1 million prize, will go to a young Australian under 30 who can impress Mr Smith by coming up with alternatives to "our population and consumption growth-obsessed economy".

"If we keep growing by 2.1 per cent a year in population, that doubles our population in 30 years, it means in 220 years' time we would have over one billion people here and no one believes we could feed one billion," Mr Smith told reporters.

"So between now and then we actually have to come up with a system that runs without growth."

The prize, which will be given out in a year's time, can't be applied for but the winner should generate wide attention for his or her ideas.

"I will be following the media throughout the world to see who is the most outstanding individual who not only made a significant contribution to this important issue, but also becomes famous through his or her contribution to the debate," Mr Smith said.

Flanked by five models, Mr Smith said he chose to launch the prize with "blonde bombshells" and a dog because "anything Richard Branson can do, we can do better".

UK billionaire Sir Richard has often led publicity stunts with a bevy of beauties.

There was a hairy moment when Chilli looked set to lift his leg on the cash he was "guarding".

"It's OK, he didn't do it," Mr Smith said, giving the dog back to its handler.

"I've never seen $1 million before in my life," he added.

The prizemoney, named after British abolitionist William Wilberforce, will go towards furthering the winner's cause in pursuing a stable population.

"I'm very positive. I know that capitalism can work without this constant addiction to growth," Mr Smith said.

Mr Smith wants to see Australia's immigration intake cut to 70,000 a year from about 280,000, but he says neither mainstream political party can give him a clear answer on whether this will happen.

As a result, in this federal election he would be voting for the party that promised aviation reform.

Asked by a reporter if his proposal to cut immigration was racist, Mr Smith became increasingly annoyed.

"That's a lie, it just intimidates Australians from talking fairly about the issue," he said.

"I can assure you, being responsible about the growth and using resources in the world is incredibly important and has nothing to do with xenophobia and it has nothing to do with racism."

When the reporter persisted, Mr Smith said there must be something "mentally wrong" with her.

"Dick!" his wife, Pip, said.

Mr Smith continued: "I'm saying we want to reduce immigration ... in a totally non-discriminatory way and I'm saying I want to see the humanitarian intake doubled."

QXD

Fuck lah, who the hell goes to Dick Smith nowadays anyway....their markup is so atrocious, people either to online to get stuff or self importing them.

Must be no Asian customers so stupid to shop there that's why he can KPKB about lowering immigration.

With all these hoo haa going on, guess its only be more difficult to migrate to Oz going forward.

Until now, Australian entrepreneur Dick Smith says he has never seen $1 million laid out in cold hard cash.

The aviation aficionado, five blonde bombshells and a chihuahua named Chilli gathered in Sydney's financial district on Wednesday with a suitcase filled with money to launch his new global award.

The Wilberforce Award, and the $1 million prize, will go to a young Australian under 30 who can impress Mr Smith by coming up with alternatives to "our population and consumption growth-obsessed economy".

"If we keep growing by 2.1 per cent a year in population, that doubles our population in 30 years, it means in 220 years' time we would have over one billion people here and no one believes we could feed one billion," Mr Smith told reporters.

"So between now and then we actually have to come up with a system that runs without growth."

The prize, which will be given out in a year's time, can't be applied for but the winner should generate wide attention for his or her ideas.

"I will be following the media throughout the world to see who is the most outstanding individual who not only made a significant contribution to this important issue, but also becomes famous through his or her contribution to the debate," Mr Smith said.

Flanked by five models, Mr Smith said he chose to launch the prize with "blonde bombshells" and a dog because "anything Richard Branson can do, we can do better".

UK billionaire Sir Richard has often led publicity stunts with a bevy of beauties.

There was a hairy moment when Chilli looked set to lift his leg on the cash he was "guarding".

The prizemoney, named after British abolitionist William Wilberforce, will go towards furthering the winner's cause in pursuing a stable population.

"I'm very positive. I know that capitalism can work without this constant addiction to growth," Mr Smith said.

Mr Smith wants to see Australia's immigration intake cut to 70,000 a year from about 280,000, but he says neither mainstream political party can give him a clear answer on whether this will happen.

As a result, in this federal election he would be voting for the party that promised aviation reform.

Asked by a reporter if his proposal to cut immigration was racist, Mr Smith became increasingly annoyed.

"That's a lie, it just intimidates Australians from talking fairly about the issue," he said.

"I can assure you, being responsible about the growth and using resources in the world is incredibly important and has nothing to do with xenophobia and it has nothing to do with racism."

When the reporter persisted, Mr Smith said there must be something "mentally wrong" with her.

Mr Smith continued: "I'm saying we want to reduce immigration ... in a totally non-discriminatory way and I'm saying I want to see the humanitarian intake doubled."

Is he running for prime ministership? Or he is bringing a UK campaign downunder?

prosperity-without-growth.jpg

IWC2006

Aiya, he's really dumb with the numbers. even with 2.1% growth per year, its mainly replenish the perished ;and those who have permanently left the country or old age. i'm surprised as a enterprenuer himself, wouldn't he aim for higher population so he could open more branches and expand his business chains? Maybe, he felt threaten by Beng Lee, the asian electronic stores with a smarter marketing strategy which may have outsold dick smith left and right.

Already the corporate and recruitment firms are shouting to increase skilled immigrants to fill up the jobs which can't find locally.

However, it does feel rather 'asianised' in Sydney and Melbourne, many surburbs and certain part of cities (not just in chinatown) are swamped by Asians. In Hunter Connections(sydney CBD), there's heaps of cheap asian eateries span across 2 floors with starting price of $5-6 for a bowl of noodle. Even the whites like to patronise the eateries there. i think when they say cut down immigration numbers, they meant reducing the number of asian immigrants indirectly. ( a norm refer as 'reverse racism' already started where certain employers flavour jobs given to asians for cheaper labour cost).

In America, the african americans are challenging the whites for prominent mainstream jobs. Today news in CNN already announced how Americans are feeling uncomfortable with the rising illegal mexican immigrations, and their offsprings are amongst the highest growth now but taking up citizenships. in Oz, its unavoidable Asians will start dominating the population growth. In Sydney, its not surprised to find half of population in the corporate workplace are asians. Sometimes, u take the lift up to the office, look around, there's only 1 or 2 whites, the rest are asians. Same, if u take the train, go into meetings, or just walk around the office, u feel you are in Hk or Asia. Only when u start walking on the streets looking at the western cafes and shops, then you realised you'll not. u go to golf range at sydney olympic park , again 70% are either chinese, koreans or other asian ethic people. u play tennis in the west, look around the courts, majority again are Asians.

Powerman

Aiya, he's really dumb with the numbers. even with 2.1% growth per year, its mainly replenish the perished ;and those who have permanently left the country or old age. i'm surprised as a enterprenuer himself, wouldn't he aim for higher population so he could open more branches and expand his business chains? Maybe, he felt threaten by Beng Lee, the asian electronic stores with a smarter marketing strategy which may have outsold dick smith left and right.

He's probably one of the tail ends of the white Aussie advocates who want Oz to be all Ang Moh and no Asian.

IWC2006

He's probably one of the tail ends of the white Aussie advocates who want Oz to be all Ang Moh and no Asian.

well its the Asians that brought in retail competition and bargain sales.

w/o asians, the financial industry will collapse as well because whites can't work with numbers.

w/o asians, australia would not escape the GFC and housing crisis.

like it or not, they are always be there. Though they keep saying those non-english speaking can't blend in the culture, their biggest threat are still the english speaking and business savy asians.

well its the Asians that brought in retail competition and bargain sales.

w/o asians, the financial industry will collapse as well because whites can't work with numbers.

w/o asians, australia would not escape the GFC and housing crisis.

like it or not, they are always be there. Though they keep saying those non-english speaking can't blend in the culture, their biggest threat are still the english speaking and business savy asians.

A good example of what Sydney will be like without Asians? Perth.

Over here, there is no Bing Lee, so Dick Smith is thriving. But, we are not dumb either, there are small Asian outlets offering competitive prices and we take these prices to places like Dick Smith or Officeworks for price matching.
I think this piss Dick Smith off.

One thing I don't freqent DS is their employment of ah neh. This is the single biggest mistake! Stocks are probably disappearing under DS's nose.

IWC2006

A good example of what Sydney will be like without Asians? Perth.

Over here, there is no Bing Lee, so Dick Smith is thriving. But, we are not dumb either, there are small Asian outlets offering competitive prices and we take these prices to places like Dick Smith or Officeworks for price matching.
I think this piss Dick Smith off.

One thing I don't freqent DS is their employment of ah neh. This is the single biggest mistake! Stocks are probably disappearing under DS's nose.

They are not suppose to 'stereotype' people based on ethic. Besides, they perceive asians are all the same.