• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NTUC Fairprice Damn expensive

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This supermarket can stop claiming to be a cooperative. Today went downstairs to those old-style traditional 24hr provision shop manned by old auntie and uncle to buy a 50-sachet equal sugar for my coffee. Price was $4.60. Then later during the day went to Fairprice and checked out the price.. it was $5.10. Same thing costs 10.86% more.... What a ripoff...

"NTUC Fairprice Co-operative Ltd was founded by the labour movement in 1973, with a social mission to moderate the cost of living in Singapore. The first NTUC Welcome supermarket at Toa Payoh was opened by then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew on 22 July 1973. In 1983, NTUC Welcome merged with the Singapore Employees Co-operative to form NTUC Fairprice Co-operative Ltd."

http://www.fairprice.com.sg/webapp/...=-1&storeId=90001&catalogId=10051&Corporate=Y

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am still pissed off... I mean, if you are gonna sell things expensive, by all means go ahead... BUT, DO NOT mislead others into thinking that you are selling things cheaply and doing good for the community... That is not ethical... There are a few things i am gonna compare and find out the price difference.. Staples such as rice and cooking oil for example..

jw5

Loyal
I am still pissed off... I mean, if you are gonna sell things expensive, by all means go ahead... BUT, DO NOT mislead others into thinking that you are selling things cheaply and doing good for the community... That is not ethical... There are a few things i am gonna compare and find out the price difference.. Staples such as rice and cooking oil for example..
Bro
Can understand your frustration.
NTUC is not always the cheapest, but I have done some comparison with shop and save, cold storage, even sheng shiong, and they are not the most expensive either.
I don't think they are cheaper than provision shops or even the value outlets, but when there are promotions, you can buy NTUC products, because the prices will be much lower.
Not sure if they claim to be the cheapest, because they are not. But they are also not particularly expensive, to be fair.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This supermarket can stop claiming to be a cooperative. Today went downstairs to those old-style traditional 24hr provision shop manned by old auntie and uncle to buy a 50-sachet equal sugar for my coffee. Price was $4.60. Then later during the day went to Fairprice and checked out the price.. it was $5.10. Same thing costs 10.86% more.... What a ripoff...

think this is rare now for provision shops to sell cheaper than NTUC. Generally, the shops around my house sell 95% of household items at least 30 cents expensive than NTUC.

Yoshitei

Alfrescian
Loyal

"NTUC Fairprice Co-operative Ltd was founded by the labour movement in 1973, with a social mission to moderate the cost of living in Singapore. The first NTUC Welcome supermarket at Toa Payoh was opened by then Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew on 22 July 1973. In 1983, NTUC Welcome merged with the Singapore Employees Co-operative to form NTUC Fairprice Co-operative Ltd."

http://www.fairprice.com.sg/webapp/...=-1&storeId=90001&catalogId=10051&Corporate=Y

Because those old-style traditional 24hr provision shop manned by old auntie and uncle don't have million dollar CEOs to feed?

Subok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually if really want to save then have to shop-hop amoung all supermarkets. Each supermarkets will have their own cheapest product exclusive to them... eg. rice - NTUC as they are the biggest importer. But if u go buy rice and oil in NTUC, NTUC may earn minimum on ur rice but max on ur oil. On the other hand if u go buy Rice and Oil from Sheng Siong, they will most max out profit on rice and sell u cheap oil.

Sometimes, GIANT will literally DUMP vegetables at wholesale price but do you think they are only hoping u buy veg with them? most probably u will buy their rice and meat and oil, and then whatever they lose on dumping veg at cost, they make back from your "the rest" purchase.

Its all about marketing strategic each supermarkets took, which products they are dumping, which they are making a kill.

Overall, NTUC to me has never been a people's supermarket eversince dont know when. It is a profit making antity just like any supermarkets but with unfair leverage of entry into the heartland.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bro
Can understand your frustration.
NTUC is not always the cheapest, but I have done some comparison with shop and save, cold storage, even sheng shiong, and they are not the most expensive either.
I don't think they are cheaper than provision shops or even the value outlets, but when there are promotions, you can buy NTUC products, because the prices will be much lower.
Not sure if they claim to be the cheapest, because they are not. But they are also not particularly expensive, to be fair.

If a big supermarket chain who can buy in bulk and have bulk savings due to their economies of scale, credit facilities, better consignment terms etc etc, have to sell more expensive than uncle-and-auntie shops, then that is not logical. Oh yeah, they claim to

"Value

We offer value for money through rebates, Linkpoints, discounts, Everyday Low Price items and FairPrice Housebrand products."

http://www.fairprice.com.sg/webapp/...ent=AboutUs_Mission_Vision_Values&Corporate=Y

My gripe with them is not their high prices... carrefour, cold storage and other chains also selling for profit (that is normal business proceedings) and they tell you that straight up, so you know. Fairprice claim they are "Co-operative" (anyone who does not know what that means, can look it up) and are here to moderate and keep prices low. I seriously do not see any of those mechanics in place... And bro Yoshitei, you are spot on... million-dollar CEO and what-nots.. they are no different from other supermarkets, worse than neighbourhood shops imo...

Last edited:

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
All these so called supermarkets not the cheapest anymore.
Now the cheapest items are selling by the supermarket style ah neh provision shops in the hdb neighbourhood. They catering mainly to the foreign workers and their prices are 20-30% cheaper than Anti U See or Chop n Save.
But donch be expecting to finding luxury items there.
They selling basic stuff like rice, sugar, milk, flour, cooking oil, fruits, vegetables, coffee powder, tea, canned food, biscuits, bottle drinks etc.

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now Singapore has multi billion dollar investments in north China - Shandong and Jilin - to ensure our stable food supply.

Food will remain cheap as long as we source from this huge producer market

Screwball

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now Singapore has multi billion dollar investments in north China - Shandong and Jilin - to ensure our stable food supply.

Food will remain cheap as long as we source from this huge producer market

Yes they import from producer at cheap price but is selling at expensive prices.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
The only things worth buying from such supermarkets are the promotion items. The other items are where they make their profit back from the promotional items.