• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Open letter to Mr Philip Jeyaretnam

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel Philip is the best candidate to take over the Reform Party.

What do you guys think of this open letter to him ?

Dear Mr Philip Jeyaretnam,

We would like to offer our most heartfelt and sincere condolences to you and your family over the demise of your beloved father, Mr J.B. Jeyaretnam.

JBJ, as he is fondly known, has devoted the last three decades of his life in selfless service for the people of Singapore. He is truly a son, a patriot and a hero of Singapore.

Throughout his political career, JBJ has been fighting for the people to have a voice in Parliament. In a speech given to Parliament in 1997, he said:

“In my first speech in this Parliament Mr Speaker, Sir, I spoke about this being the House of the people. That was not rhetoric, Mr Speaker, Sir. This is the House of the people. It is the House that the people will look to, as I said then, for the airing of their views, for their views to be heard and given adequate consideration”.

The Reform Party, which JBJ founded recently in July this year, was supposed to be a platform from which he continue his struggle for us. It is most unfortunate to see his lifelong dream, passion and legacy being left unfinished.

In your moving eulogy to JBJ at the Saint Andrew’s Cathedral, you described your father as

“A great man, a lion as many would say, but a nice man, and a kind man too. His life carries a simple message: that no matter who we are, we can do something, we must do something to make this world a better place.”

We were very inspired by your words. JBJ has indeed set an example with his life for us to follow. He was never afraid to speak the truth, to fight for the rights of Singaporeans and to serve the nation whole-heartedly even when the odds were stacked against him.

Read rest of letter here:

http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/2008/10/06/open-letter-to-mr-philip-jeyaretnam/

Wobble

Alfrescian
Loyal
Philip would be the most appropriate candidate to take over and lead the RP...he is well-qualified..also a lawyer...and would then be continuing his father's legacy...

that is...only if...those currently in RP willing to let him serve...and only if he wants to serve...

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he wants to serve....he will serve it long time ago.
Why wait until his dad is away then join the politics?

No point forcing people.
They wanna led a simple life, also good for them.

:smile: :o :smile:

friskygambit

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are not asking you to sacrifice everything you have for us. Singapore today is no longer the Singapore of the 1980s. Being a cosmopolitan society ingrained with a proud British heritage which breeds well educated and widely traveled citizens, Singapore should be an exemplary democracy for other Asian countries to follow and not a pariah state constantly hammered by the foreign media and human rights groups.

You have not explained how you are not asking Philip Jeyaretnam to sacrifice everything he has for us.

By making an appeal to him to enter politics, and portraying him as the only hope for the opposition in Singapore (drawing comparisons with other political dynasties) you are basically asking him to be prepared to serve just as his father did i.e. giving up his whole life, including his status as a senior counsel, and possibly putting his family in jeopardy by campaigning against the PAP.

Besides, Philip once gave an interview to the ST mentioning that he regarded his father as a hero but admitted that he was of a "timid temperament" and did not have the temerity for politics that JBJ had.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Avantas

As much as I agree with the analysis and the sentiment I am disgusted at the timing of you guys. GOD JBJ was just buried on Saturday and here you are, you guys asking for his SON to take up his mantle of leadership. Can't u let the family grief in peace even for a week ?

The moving euology said I believed that all JBJ wanted his son's and grandson's was to be happy, if opposition politics makes either son happy then good for the opposition cause but if not and he choses to join the PAP and yes he is being wooed by the PAP extensively then its good for Singapore though not for the opposition, They as a family have sacrificed much for their father, I believe asking them to sacrifice again is a bridge to far. The choice as to what makes them happy is "their choice" and we should applaud them whatever choice they make

Locke

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
it's easier to ask the other person to do this and do that but forgetting that he himself can take the initiative to do this and DON'T DO THAT.:p

the TS is exploiting every situation to lead people to his bo sen li blog. maybe it's time to boycott him.

friskygambit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Honest question - do you think JBJ's sons and his family think that his sacrifice was worth it? Do you think they feel that Singaporeans (an apathetic, indifferent and passive lot) are actually DESERVING of the huge sacrifices that their father made, without asking for anything in return??

I am not even JBJ's family member, and I honestly feel that Singaporeans did not deserve him. They deserve people like Wee Siew Kim, Lee Bee Wah and Lim Boon Heng, they do not deserve someone as selfless and compassionate as JBJ.

Why? Because Singaporeans are hypocrites - they supported JBJ in their hearts, yet they shunned and avoided him everytime they saw him in public selling his books, during those lonely and difficult years of bankruptcy. They supported JBJ in their minds, yet they voted for the PAP in election after election, bought over by the promise of upgrading.

After seeing their father go through so many personal tribulations for the benefit of these hypocritical and ungrateful people, do you think they would want to take up the cross that he carried???

During JBJ's worst years of his life, how many people actually offered him their help, after all that he did for the country?

guavatree

Alfrescian
Loyal
it'ssier r person to do thi hat but forgetting that he himselfcantake thinitiative to do this and DN'T DOHploiting every situation to lead peoptosbsenilogaybe's tioycottm.

you are fucking jealous!

go get a job and stop wasting your time being a fucking kaypohji!

your appalling gay behavior is worse than a menopause woman!

did you had your menses lately chao ah kwa?

LOL

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro,

I just check alexa and the wayangparty blog is now ranked 7249 in Singapore, which makes it one of the top 10 political blogs.

Only two other political blogs stood besides it and TOC: Mr Wang (6700) and Yawning Bread (3600)

The FACTS speak for themselves whether it is indeed bo sen lee as you alleged.

Last edited:

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Locke,

I am truly amazed at your weird interpretation and spin. Are you a disciple of Chua Lee Hoong ?

The article only makes a sincere appeal to Philip to "SERIOUSLY CONSIDER" entering politics.

And what better time is there to publish it than now ? I believe the editors are going to move on to other issues after that.

I have spoken to many Singaporeans over the weekend at JBJ's wake and funeral and quite a few share the same sentiments as the WP Club people.

I applaud them for having the courage to speak out on the behalf of the silent majority unlike some hypocrites who only know how to beat around the bush in circles without ever making their stance known.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Avantas

Neither just a human being with the milk of human kindness. As I have stated the analysis is correct, the sentiments true, but the timing IMHO smacks of a lack of graciousness in view of the message of both P and Kenneth. They gave us their father, their own life choices are theirs to make privately without pressure and in privacy whatever they may be.

Locke

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since IMH had ben mentioned often in the last few months, to readers unfamiliar with acronyms, IMHO stands for ' In My Humble Opinion .' Hope that will spare the few with balding problems. Scratching your scalp causes more hair to drop off.

Also it was in this forum that I was pointed to www.yeocheowtong.com . Perhaps a visit may provide a more viable projection.

Last edited:

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Locke,

Far as I would like to stretch my imagination, I cannot fathom any lack of graciousness on the part of a simple appeal for Philip to consider taking over the legacy left for his father.

In fact, Philip should be honored that there are many Singaporeans who think highly of him to even harbor such a hope in the first place.

However, as I have told Zhi Yuan and co, their open letter is mere academic exercise since Philip who runs a very successful legal practice, is highly unlikely to join the political fray.

Perhaps the PAP may try to co-opt him as a NMP in the future. Without any doubts, if Philip is not the son of JBJ, I am sure the PAP will recruit him into their fold.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Avantas

Neither just a human being with the milk of human kindness. As I have stated the analysis is correct, the sentiments true, but the timing IMHO smacks of a lack of graciousness in view of the message of both P and Kenneth. They gave us their father, their own life choices are theirs to make privately without pressure and in privacy whatever they may be.

Locke

You're trying to pick bones out of ikan bilis. When all else you can't find grounds to disagree with, you disagree with the timing. So pray tell, what's the correct timing you have in your mind?

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Ramseth

Bones not even dead and buried yet. The loss of JB was sudden I believe the family should be left in peace to grief and mourn in private. I believe about a month would have been a decent interval before an appeal of the sort expressed by them. Give the family space.

Locke

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why are you thinking exactly like the 66% sinkee, who really believe that Lee Hisen Loong is the best PM since he is the son of LKY?? Being someone's son doesn't mean you possess all your father's qualities and ambitions! Phillip is a totally different person and should not be obliged to do this at all!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Bones not even dead and buried yet. The loss of JB was sudden I believe the family should be left in peace to grief and mourn in private. I believe about a month would have been a decent interval before an appeal of the sort expressed by them. Give the family space.

Apparently, PAP has already jumped in with blatant overtures on the first two days with Vivian B. and Indranee R. This is a political battlefield. You hold your fire and you'll get shot. Giving the family space is admirable, but don't give your enemy time and space.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think its up to the Reform Party leadership to decide whether to extend an invitation or not, or to hold an internal party leadership contest.

But my view is that you should leave the sec-gen post open so that everyone else can contest. And if Philip wants to throw his hat in, its fine.

But if Philip gets the sec-gen on a golden platter, then I think its not fair on those who support the Reform Party. Because in the end, the post has to be earned, not inherited.

So the son, as I had said many, many times, have to earn himself. And if he has to earn it, then he should allow a contest for the sec-gen position and get himself elected in a democratic fashion.

And I'm also very sure that the party and the individuals will respond soon. A rapid-response approach is the right approach for the party and the overall APs.