Thread: NTU Students protested at Hong Lim Park

My Reputation Points: 330 / Power: 0

Thumbs up NTU Students protested at Hong Lim Park

Sunday, October 5, 2008

<!-- Begin .post --> NTU Students Protested at Speakers' Corner

I recorded few hundred Mega Bytes of videos at Speakers' Corner this afternoon for a protest staged by some students from Nanyang Technological University, but I have no bandwidth right now to upload them yet, since I am still occupied with uploading videos of Mr. JBJ's funeral. I will upload at least the MP3 audio if not the video. It is quite substantial amount of data and will need long time to upload.

The students had a large banner made crudely and placed on ground of the field. And they had delivered speeches, while having many many cameras to record them all. It began at about 1630Hr and lasted beyond 1800Hr.

The protest was made against NTU's internal publications' censorship regarding a news reporting some visits made by SDP's Dr. CSJ recently in campus.

This is a very positive sign that students are getting more vocal and active and that they received support from activists and received attention of media. I encourage the students to continue to stand up for what they can identify as unfairness and faults that need to be voiced out against. :-)

posted by uncleyap at 9:41 AM
    uy..

My Reputation Points: 146 / Power: 0

Default Re: NTU Students protested at Hong Lim Park

They're potential fresh graduates recruits for the oppositions
    Everything is increasing and moving fast and if you can't keep up the pace, you're out of the game

Neh_Neh_Pok Celebrities Wallpapers

Neh_Neh_Pok Angmoh in Sexy Clothes

Neh_Neh_Pok Asians Delights

10 Questions for 'Intelligent Chrikukustians' to Answer

My Reputation Points: 39 / Power: 0

It should also be noted as a positve sign that the protest was allowed to be conducted and completed at the Speaker's Corner, and the event was mentioned on CNA. Constructive and peaceful protests which do not threaten the stability of the country are welcomed. Passion to serve the nation tempered by constructive suggestions and actions are always welcomed in the youth of any country, and it will benefit any political party they may choose to join in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by DIVISION1 View Post
    It should also be noted as a positve sign that the protest was allowed to be conducted and completed at the Speaker's Corner, and the event was mentioned on CNA. Constructive and peaceful protests which do not threaten the stability of the country are welcomed. Passion to serve the nation tempered by constructive suggestions and actions are always welcomed in the youth of any country, and it will benefit any political party they may choose to join in the future.
    Weird thing is why the Speaker's Corner is located at an uuuluu place? Why the Pees don't want to locate it in a more crowded places somewhere in Orchard, Raffles Place, Bugis or City Hall for more pple to see and know?
    Everything is increasing and moving fast and if you can't keep up the pace, you're out of the game

Hong Lim Park is within the CBD and thus it is technically wrong to state that Speakers Corner is located in a remote region. To hold sessions of public expression in areas of very high pedestrian traffic would disrupt human traffic flow, causing great inconvenience and potential economic loss. The location at Hong Lim Park is easily accessible, within the CBD area and yet not obstructive to traffic, while offering a sufficient quiet, wide and conducive environment of public expression.

Quote Originally Posted by DIVISION1 View Post
    Hong Lim Park is within the CBD and thus it is technically wrong to state that Speakers Corner is located in a remote region. To hold sessions of public expression in areas of very high pedestrian traffic would disrupt human traffic flow, causing great inconvenience and potential economic loss. The location at Hong Lim Park is easily accessible, within the CBD area and yet not obstructive to traffic, while offering a sufficient quiet, wide and conducive environment of public expression.
    Ya it is planned to be located in a remote CBD instead of a crowded CBD area. The so-called affecting the flows of traffic and pedestrians are only excuses as the Pees fear risk of mass participation of pple against them, how big is a Speaker's Corner only?

My Reputation Points: 222 / Power: 0

SDP had achieved its goal.

My Reputation Points: 212 / Power: 0

CSJ must have been excited to see so many locals at a protest for a change.

Engaging the students is right; only they have the vigour and energy; reminds me of how Mao teased the students before Cultural Revolution...

Too bad NTU is a PRC school now, the Nantah spirit has been lost.

Land is expensive and a lot has provided for Speaker's Corner which can accommodate more than 100 persons. You may wish to view reasons as excuses. But, clearly, Speaker's Corner within the CBD is better than Speaker's Corner in Kranji. If that defies the logic of monikers here, I rest my case.

My Reputation Points: 19 / Power: 0

Quote Originally Posted by dysentry View Post
    CSJ must have been excited to see so many locals at a protest for a change.

Engaging the students is right; only they have the vigour and energy; reminds me of how Mao teased the students before Cultural Revolution...

Too bad NTU is a PRC school now, the Nantah spirit has been lost.
    NTU is not Nantah. Some of the old Nantah was merged with Uni of Spore to formed the present day NUS, and alumni of Nantah are alumni of NUS. NTU happened to use the same premise which was zoned for education purpose. This misunderstanding of history and persistent effort by some in NTU to be associated with Nantah need to be corrected.

Thread Information