• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NTU Students protested at Hong Lim Park

uncleyap

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sunday, October 5, 2008

<!-- Begin .post --> NTU Students Protested at Speakers' Corner

I recorded few hundred Mega Bytes of videos at Speakers' Corner this afternoon for a protest staged by some students from Nanyang Technological University, but I have no bandwidth right now to upload them yet, since I am still occupied with uploading videos of Mr. JBJ's funeral. I will upload at least the MP3 audio if not the video. It is quite substantial amount of data and will need long time to upload.

The students had a large banner made crudely and placed on ground of the field. And they had delivered speeches, while having many many cameras to record them all. It began at about 1630Hr and lasted beyond 1800Hr.

The protest was made against NTU's internal publications' censorship regarding a news reporting some visits made by SDP's Dr. CSJ recently in campus.

This is a very positive sign that students are getting more vocal and active and that they received support from activists and received attention of media. I encourage the students to continue to stand up for what they can identify as unfairness and faults that need to be voiced out against. :-):biggrin::wink:

posted by uncleyap at 9:41 AM

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
It should also be noted as a positve sign that the protest was allowed to be conducted and completed at the Speaker's Corner, and the event was mentioned on CNA. Constructive and peaceful protests which do not threaten the stability of the country are welcomed. Passion to serve the nation tempered by constructive suggestions and actions are always welcomed in the youth of any country, and it will benefit any political party they may choose to join in the future.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
It should also be noted as a positve sign that the protest was allowed to be conducted and completed at the Speaker's Corner, and the event was mentioned on CNA. Constructive and peaceful protests which do not threaten the stability of the country are welcomed. Passion to serve the nation tempered by constructive suggestions and actions are always welcomed in the youth of any country, and it will benefit any political party they may choose to join in the future.

Weird thing is why the Speaker's Corner is located at an uuuluu place? Why the Pees don't want to locate it in a more crowded places somewhere in Orchard, Raffles Place, Bugis or City Hall for more pple to see and know?

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Lim Park is within the CBD and thus it is technically wrong to state that Speakers Corner is located in a remote region. To hold sessions of public expression in areas of very high pedestrian traffic would disrupt human traffic flow, causing great inconvenience and potential economic loss. The location at Hong Lim Park is easily accessible, within the CBD area and yet not obstructive to traffic, while offering a sufficient quiet, wide and conducive environment of public expression.

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hong Lim Park is within the CBD and thus it is technically wrong to state that Speakers Corner is located in a remote region. To hold sessions of public expression in areas of very high pedestrian traffic would disrupt human traffic flow, causing great inconvenience and potential economic loss. The location at Hong Lim Park is easily accessible, within the CBD area and yet not obstructive to traffic, while offering a sufficient quiet, wide and conducive environment of public expression.

Ya it is planned to be located in a remote CBD instead of a crowded CBD area. The so-called affecting the flows of traffic and pedestrians are only excuses as the Pees fear risk of mass participation of pple against them, how big is a Speaker's Corner only?

dysentry

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSJ must have been excited to see so many locals at a protest for a change.

Engaging the students is right; only they have the vigour and energy; reminds me of how Mao teased the students before Cultural Revolution...

Too bad NTU is a PRC school now, the Nantah spirit has been lost.

DIVISION1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Land is expensive and a lot has provided for Speaker's Corner which can accommodate more than 100 persons. You may wish to view reasons as excuses. But, clearly, Speaker's Corner within the CBD is better than Speaker's Corner in Kranji. If that defies the logic of monikers here, I rest my case.

Summerbee

Alfrescian
Loyal
CSJ must have been excited to see so many locals at a protest for a change.

Engaging the students is right; only they have the vigour and energy; reminds me of how Mao teased the students before Cultural Revolution...

Too bad NTU is a PRC school now, the Nantah spirit has been lost.

NTU is not Nantah. Some of the old Nantah was merged with Uni of Spore to formed the present day NUS, and alumni of Nantah are alumni of NUS. NTU happened to use the same premise which was zoned for education purpose. This misunderstanding of history and persistent effort by some in NTU to be associated with Nantah need to be corrected.