• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

A Boat for a Hobby

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey guys, like to have your comment on this..

How about having a small boat as a hobby ? My colleague just went on a short trip with his boat.. caught some big fishes.. It has been my dream to own one small boat for partying and fishing.. What do you think ?

Cost vs Hobby ? Comment ? I have sufficient place to park my boat at the frontyard.. but no balls to own one yet..

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

How about having a small boat as a hobby ? My colleague just went on a short trip with his boat.. caught some big fishes.. It has been my dream to own one small boat for partying and fishing.. What do you think ?

Cost vs Hobby ? Comment ? I have sufficient place to park my boat at the frontyard.. but no balls to own one yet..

When I'm in the states a Yank colleague brought me on his boat to water ski. According to him, a boat is a like a black hole you keep dumping money into. I suppose if its a hobby, and you are passionate about it and can afford it, why not?

redbull313

Alfrescian
Loyal

Axe Baby now ya talkin'! I bought my 2000 Sea Ray Bowrider 180 2 years ago and so far I love it. I have however learned that it can be expensive but some pointers are: are you going to run the boat in salt or fresh water? if its salt you must do a proper fresh water washdown to prevent corrosion. Does the engine have a powerhead or is it an inboard/outboard?" Mine is an outboard and each has its pros and cons. do you want a fishing boat or a family cruiser? a bowrider can do both but a center console is preferred for die hard fishers.

You said you want to put this boat on a trailer and keep it at your house. This can save on the marina storage but make sure you have a boat cover. a hot summer and cold winter can really kill the upholstery and floors. make sure the trailer is galvanized and the bearing and wheels are in good order. magic tilts are cool to launch with. check your SUV or truck to make sure your car is rated to pull it and if you need to install a hitch check the cost of that to install. you also have to make sure your wiring can attach to the trailer for the brakes too. i got my hitch from ebay and saved alot on that.

Over here i just have to pay state reg fees about 50 bucks a year and insurance is about a hundred a year. every year a big must is to winterize your boat before you stop using by using the stabil for the fuel lines. you might want to disconnect your battery and make sure you keep tabs on the running hours on the engine. change your oil on time. gas can be a bit expensive if your engine is bigger but for my 3.0 merc i can cruise all day on about 40 to 50 bucks (about 18-20 gallons) for you just look for the most modern boat with the lowest number of hours on the engine with the best service record. i would not buy anything with more than 500 hours for example.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
If you don't do it often, it's a lot cheaper and easier to rent a boat whenever you need one.

My suburb is littered with boats in the yard that haven't been used for years.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My friend got his from http://www.aussieboats.com.au
You will see a lot of people these days just entertaining on boats stuck at the harbour.
Just going for 1-hour joyride will burn a big hole in pocket, not to mention getting a skipper + maintenance cost.
Loads of them for sales at the harbour after the GFC!

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Axe Baby now ya talkin'! .

Hey thanks.. We may hv diff opinion about Australia but we certainly have a 'same' interest in boat ! Yipppeee !

are you going to run the boat in salt or fresh water?if its salt you must do a proper fresh water washdown to prevent corrosion. do you want a fishing boat or a family cruiser?
Both lah.. I expect more on the sea.. I have a power jet for cleaning, so no worries. I prefer a cruiser..

..make sure you have a boat cover...check your SUV or truck to make sure your car is rated to pull it..
Cover up for sure.. Toyota Kakadu will be sufficient to pull.. Yet to buy, but will consider it..

you might want to disconnect your battery... change your oil on time. gas can be a bit expensive if your engine is bigger but for my 3.0 merc i can cruise all day on about 40 to 50 bucks (about 18-20 gallons) for you just look for the most modern boat with the lowest number of hours on the engine with the best service record. i would not buy anything with more than 500 hours for example.
Hmmm.. still in experience on this.. I will do more research via google :wink:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend got his from http://www.aussieboats.com.au
You will see a lot of people these days just entertaining on boats stuck at the harbour.
Just going for 1-hour joyride will burn a big hole in pocket, not to mention getting a skipper + maintenance cost.
Loads of them for sales at the harbour after the GFC!

Well, I think I can save heaps by parking "my" boat on my frontyard.. IF budget is flexible, I may include a new double carport for boat and cars.. (I have a garage now)..

My balls drop the moment I think about "maintenance cost".. when retire I need to be lean and mean.. hence, now gotto work harder in order to achieve a better lifesyle.. :(

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you don't do it often, it's a lot cheaper and easier to rent a boat whenever you need one.

My suburb is littered with boats in the yard that haven't been used for years.

I got a frz in Brisbane who once suggested an idea to "share" a boat ( I like the idea !) During the time, I was referring about AUD$40-70k boat (for 4-6pax) and he was referring to $400k ship ! knn, belittle my pride..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I'm in the states a Yank colleague brought me on his boat to water ski. According to him, a boat is a like a black hole you keep dumping money into. I suppose if its a hobby, and you are passionate about it and can afford it, why not?

The problem is... I can't eat my cake and have it too.. I need to choose carefully and stay care free..