• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

CST's Wife Falling into 154th's Trap!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Apr 10, 2010

Chee's convenient exclusion

<!-- by line --><!-- end by line -->
<!-- end left side bar --><!-- story content : start -->
SINGAPORE Democratic Party (SDP) secretary-general Chee Soon Juan's reply ('No one forced Chiam out: SDP chief', April 2) to my comments in a report ('Chiam's SDP exit: Wife speaks up', March 29) conveniently failed to mention what the motion was about, when no SDP central executive committee (CEC) member supported Mr Chiam.
The motion by Mr Chiam was to censure Dr Chee for his hunger strike. Dr Chee went ahead with the hunger strike on his own despite Mr Chiam's disagreement. The hunger strike was in connection with his sacking by the National University of Singapore.
Lina Chiam (Mrs)
CEC member
Singapore People's Party

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I just hope she thinks of the party and opposition politics as a whole.

We cannot afford the 154th to sow discord now...

Apr 10, 2010

SINGAPORE Democratic Party (SDP) secretary-general Chee Soon Juan's reply ('No one forced Chiam out: SDP chief', April 2) to my comments in a report ('Chiam's SDP exit: Wife speaks up', March 29) conveniently failed to mention what the motion was about, when no SDP central executive committee (CEC) member supported Mr Chiam.
The motion by Mr Chiam was to censure Dr Chee for his hunger strike. Dr Chee went ahead with the hunger strike on his own despite Mr Chiam's disagreement. The hunger strike was in connection with his sacking by the National University of Singapore.
Lina Chiam (Mrs)
CEC member
Singapore People's Party

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why she did not question the billions of taxpayers' money lost in stupid overseas investments by the superman Temasik and GIC ? Why repeat about the past history ?
political novice ? political immaturity ?

ScarFace

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apr 10, 2010

Lina Chiam (Mrs)
CEC member
Singapore People's Party

It is indeed a tragedy to be made use of in this manner. A political featherweight, novice, and immaturity.

Unfortunately, such is the birth pang of a growing opposition movement, and a heightened political awareness and consciousness of an awakenend people.

I wish the opposition party unity and peace, so that they can gather strength for the battles ahead.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apr 10, 2010

Lina Chiam (Mrs)
CEC member
Singapore People's Party

Dr Chee had via the SDP website published the whole story, but Mrs Lina Chiam could only point to one omission in Dr Chee's reply - the hunger strike. Does that mean Mrs Lina Chiam admits to a myriad of all other facts mentioned by Dr Chee, which facts Mrs Lina Chiam herself, to borrow her words, "conveniently failed to mention" ?

What is the direct relevance of the "hunger strike" to the accusation that Mr Chiam was ousted by Dr Chee ? Mr Chiam tendered his resignation after he failed to get the CEC to censure Dr Chee. Even though Mr Chiam failed to garner any support from the CEC to censure Dr Chee, Mr Chiam could still have remained as Secretary-General of the party. Instead, he chose to resign.

How could a person who tendered his own resignation describe himself as being ousted ? On the contrary, Mr Chiam must have been aware of his importance to the party, as he was effectively the brand name of SDP. It would appear that the act of resignation was a tactic to put pressure on the CEC, an attempt to oust Dr Chee instead.

Mr Chiam was the author of his own anguish.

elephanto

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To be fair, I think Chiam operates best on his own.

His leadership skills are suspect. He can't even get his CEC to toe his line like how LKY is supremely in control of his CEC.

Whether Chee ousted him or not is a matter of interpretation .... party stalwarts like Wong Hong Toy, Ling How Doong & Cheo Chai Chen all already do not submit to his leadership by then ... yet all are cowards, so they conveniently let a younger man be in the forefront & Chee, also managed to convince himself he is taking on a difficult job 'for the sake of SDP & democracy'.

Let's move on ....

In spite of all the things that one can justifiably criticise / demonise Chee Soon Juan, in terms of articulation & dedication to his cause, I have grudging admiration for him.

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be fair, I think Chiam operates best on his own.

His leadership skills are suspect. He can't even get his CEC to toe his line like how LKY is supremely in control of his CEC.

Whether Chee ousted him or not is a matter of interpretation .... party stalwarts like Wong Hong Toy, Ling How Doong & Cheo Chai Chen all already do not submit to his leadership by then ... yet all are cowards, so they conveniently let a younger man be in the forefront & Chee, also managed to convince himself he is taking on a difficult job 'for the sake of SDP & democracy'.

Let's move on ....

In spite of all the things that one can justifiably criticise / demonise Chee Soon Juan, in terms of articulation & dedication to his cause, I have grudging admiration for him.

at the end of the day, the results speak for themselves...

Chiam is the longest serving opposition. Chee is a disaster and the rest of the "party stalwart" have faded away.

Chiam, Low/Sylvia and Kenneth... these are smart people who understand that it is the neutral citizens they need to win over; and to do that, they need to build a creditable opposition that behaves maturely like a government does.

Chiam wife is not stupid. She is running for PP and she needs all the exposure she can get.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
I urge Mrs Lina Chiam not to lose focus of her mission. Did she join politics to fight against the PAP and its policies or Dr Chee over one incident that happened 17 years ago ?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does it matter if CSJ did not mention what the motion was? The fact that no CEC member voted against it meant that Chiam had lost his influence, power and say. I don't understand what Mrs Chiam hoped to gain by this clarification - she seemed to be shooting her own foot. It also meant that Chiam had misread the width of support in the CEC, and that is not a good development for a leader.

Apr 10, 2010

Lina Chiam (Mrs)
CEC member
Singapore People's Party

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. CSJ is a more gutsy leader, altho his extreme confrontational tactics are still unfamiliar and so anathemic to the Singapore electorate. He should realise this and make corrections.

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Chee had via the SDP website published the whole story, but Mrs Lina Chiam could only point to one omission in Dr Chee's reply - the hunger strike. Does that mean Mrs Lina Chiam admits to a myriad of all other facts mentioned by Dr Chee, which facts Mrs Lina Chiam herself, to borrow her words, "conveniently failed to mention" ?

What is the direct relevance of the "hunger strike" to the accusation that Mr Chiam was ousted by Dr Chee ? Mr Chiam tendered his resignation after he failed to get the CEC to censure Dr Chee. Even though Mr Chiam failed to garner any support from the CEC to censure Dr Chee, Mr Chiam could still have remained as Secretary-General of the party. Instead, he chose to resign.

How could a person who tendered his own resignation describe himself as being ousted ? On the contrary, Mr Chiam must have been aware of his importance to the party, as he was effectively the brand name of SDP. It would appear that the act of resignation was a tactic to put pressure on the CEC, an attempt to oust Dr Chee instead.

Mr Chiam was the author of his own anguish.

ST Forum Chee's convenient exclusion

Lina Chiam (Mrs)
CEC member
Singapore People's Party

SDPhopelessParty

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quote:

how can pap destroy chee using chiam like what chee's claiming here?

is he trying to accuse chiam as a pap's stooge to get to him? but chee is a NOBODY. he got the lowest votes and never ever even come close to winning any ward.

LING HOW DONG still ever won a ward. though this lawyer is hardly heard of and out of SDP after chiam, we saw him and his famous "DON'T TALK COCK" blurt in parleement.

what about chee? ranting and ranting with the same handful of sdp clowns and boasting and boasting about his "increased support". where by the way do u see those very "increased" support??

as SDP IB in this forum - that's where. by the way, do SDP IB count as the real thing in the real world doing real good for the real people out there?

well, u wait long long. luckily their nonsense is only capped and restricted in cyber forum such as this or else....u go think about it

"The people's Action Party tried all means to defeat my husband, but failed after several general elections. But the SDP achieved it effortlessly with one stroke of the pen and did the PAP a great service. "

Boliao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does it matter if CSJ did not mention what the motion was? The fact that no CEC member voted against it meant that Chiam had lost his influence, power and say. I don't understand what Mrs Chiam hoped to gain by this clarification - she seemed to be shooting her own foot. It also meant that Chiam had misread the width of support in the CEC, and that is not a good development for a leader.

On the contrary, I think Ms Chiam scored big time with a short and simple explanation. It is probably worth more than the whole clarification earlier put together.

By stating the motion details, Ms Chiam is distancing herself, her husband and by association, her party from petty and immature politics that Chee is practicing.

Hunger strike? I remember Chee putting glucose drip and had a doctor beside him. It would have been more effective if he pour gasoline over himself and said he could not find a match.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mrs Lina Chiam should visit SDP's site. What Mrs Chiam claimed Dr Chee 'conveniently failed to mention' was in fact depicted clearly with a pic of his husband's own handwriting:

chiamletter.png

Even Dr Chee "conveniently failed to mention" one factual detail (which he did not), Mrs Chiam must have missed out on even more details.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I urge Mrs Lina Chiam not to lose focus of her mission. Did she join politics to fight against the PAP and its policies or Dr Chee over one incident that happened 17 years ago ?

plurality constituency elections are not so complicated like a nationwide president election.
It doesn't matter what you, me or most peoples think of Mrs Chiam.

Her husband is a 20+ years MP of PP. Wheater Mrs Chiam can win PP depend solely on the Chiam grassroots popularity in PP. PP is theirs to lose. The battle of PP is entirely a "local election"

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Elephanto

We would not bee having this discussion at all if Dr Chee had clearly admitted to what the rest of us can see. That is the CEC vote was in fact a contest of leadership for the SDP and the competition over his censure was nothing but naked party politics. Chee ill not admit to that, wants us to believe that Chiam resigned in a huff, and that there was no background machivellian manuverings whether lead by him or someone else within the CEC and that Dr Chee is politically white as snow.

Following on that issue. CST as boss tried to censure Dr Chee :_)). What did CSJ do as Boss to Dr Chee when he crossed the line..........Chee tried to destroy CST by expelling him from the party. That started my contempt of the man

Locke

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I followed well, the motion was put by Chiam to censure Chee, not by Chee's comrades to show support for Chee. If Chee did not mention at all the defeat of Chiam on his own motion, surely this was a kind of saving grace by Chee not to rub his (Chiam's) face again in the m&d.

Mrs Chiam is only reliving the pain of her husband by repeating what could be his own humiliation in his own Party, and lent further support to the point that Chiam indeed had lost the cause.

On the contrary, I think Ms Chiam scored big time with a short and simple explanation. It is probably worth more than the whole clarification earlier put together.

By stating the motion details, Ms Chiam is distancing herself, her husband and by association, her party from petty and immature politics that Chee is practicing.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam tested his leadership with the CEC by moving the motion. He lost when he did not get support. It was Chiam who dug his own grave, by his opening salvo. It was naked party politics but Chiam as the incumbent shld have the advantage but somehow he lost it, lost the vote,and lost his position. He should have chosen a better time and a better issue to declare war, but apparently, he miscalculated. I would think resignation was the only face-saving move left for Chiam. Which he did, so I think matter shld rest.

Dear Elephanto

We would not bee having this discussion at all if Dr Chee had clearly admitted to what the rest of us can see. That is the CEC vote was in fact a contest of leadership for the SDP and the competition over his censure was nothing but naked party politics. Chee ill not admit to that, wants us to believe that Chiam resigned in a huff, and that there was no background machivellian manuverings whether lead by him or someone else within the CEC and that Dr Chee is politically white as snow.

Locke

methink

Alfrescian
Loyal
Chiam wife is not stupid. She is running for PP and she needs all the exposure she can get.

The exposure she is getting is not too flattering. She should have kept quiet and not make a fool of herself/husband. Now that we know of the 'real story' between Mr Chiam and Dr Chee, the public is definitely not in favour of her husband.

No wonder, Mr Chiam was smart to keep quiet for the past 17 years! Since the truth is now known, she only has herself to blame if Potong Pasir is lost due to her immaturity. Mrs Chiam is obviously not too clever and street-smart. The more she talked, the more she is making a fool of herself.