• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

what is my right when police check on me

onetwo

Hi guys,

When police requested to check my NRIC, body search and/ or search my bag on the street for no good reason, can I reject? What is my right?

Any lawyers around?

Big Sexy

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Any lawyers around? YES
can I reject? What is my right? Dont know... :biggrin: :biggrin:

of course u can ask them for a reason and reject the search... but they could bring you back to the station and conduct the search there... it will help if you give us more details like

the location, who u were with.. etc etc

Hi guys,

When police requested to check my NRIC, body search and/ or search my bag on the street for no good reason, can I reject? What is my right?

Any lawyers around?

ANDYSIAO14

Alfrescian
Loyal
policemen: sir , we have to do a screen check on u -bags (if u r carrying any)

me : sure officer , u may check... (stay cooperative)

(after 4-5mins of check here and there walkie talkie here and there)

policemen: sir u are free to go as we find u a good citizen...

me: officer , before i go ,can u tell me why u do a quick check on me?

policeman : eversince mas selamat ran away , we might as well do a check on everyone loitering around at this time ( watch shows over 12midnite )

me : u meant u officers cant see that im chinese and u think im the fugitive?
u meant mas selamat got carry identification papers wherever he went ?

policemen : (silent)

policemen cycle away and im walking away cursing why become like dis :biggrin:
[ waste my time not for the quick screening thing
but for the extra 1-2mins of hearing the stupid reason!!! ]

Reality check- screen screen lar...no use talk/reject so much if u are not in any fault... (passerby will stay calm knowing policemen are doing their job) :p
unless u are at fault - u better run also like mas selamat :wink:

Last edited:

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just cooperate with the officers in duty lor unless you want a kopi session with them back to the station.:wink:

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi guys,

Any lawyers around?

They have the right to check your bag cuz they each carry a police warrant inside their wallet.

As for what reason, they can give all sort of reasons like checking for weapon, pirated CDs and drugs etc...

But....... they're NOT allow to strip you or body search you on the street. They have to bring you back to station to do it as to follow the normal procedure. You can make a complaint to their superior if they body search you outside.

And it is not so easy just to bring back anyone back to station. They've to report to OP room first if they're arresting/bring anyone back to station. Then they have to write arrest report and note everything inside their pocketbook etc... If they find nothing wrong with you after they brought you back to station, they most likely be *&%$ by their station sergent for wasting unnecesssary resource. :biggrin:

Plus, it is NOT an offend if you forget to bring along your IC while walking outside. You can give them verbally your IC no., that will do. If any police officer arrest you for that, ask him to give you the 'pena code' for the arrest. :biggrin:

pweesng

Alfrescian
Loyal
problem is... most of the time they bring you back, but tell you, you are not being arrested....

Then make you wait in the waiting area damn long... aka polyclinic see doctor....

Super waste time... so i rather they just search.. and hopefully they scratch my car or bag... then i can make a lot of noise.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
When police check on me, I would say I use the word Co-operate.

I do not have contraband, no drugs, so just let them check what they want. I have been stopped by Police 4 times 4 road blocks and everytime I let them check by co-operating with them. Tested for drunk driving even though I have drunk earlier but always pass the tests. Why make life difficult for own self? They are also like you and me making a living.

Another time was there was this malay sergeant at airport doing checks. So I was brought to a corner and then she touch my pockets. Touch my groin. Wah! I looked at her, she look at me, ask me what's that? I ask her, you don't know meh? She touch again and smile at me. Not that I mind, :p but she ain't bad looking either. But I never proceed. Like that I considered earn tio or she earned?

simone

Alfrescian
Loyal
dear TS, u sound like u always kenna spot chks so u start this topic ha?

i had a experience when i was young, me and a bunch of friends were playing cards at the void deck of hdb when 2 PO came to screen us. as we were only staying nearby, we didn't have our ic with us.

Police officer : show me ur ic.
Friend : never bring.
Police officer : show me whatever u have.
Friend : *takes out keys* i only have key, u want to chk them?
Police officer : *very angry* u trying to be funny !!! who u think i am, ur brother???

end up my friend waste time at police post...

So sometimes dun say things tht are meaningless will really help..

dc7176

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another time was there was this malay sergeant at airport doing checks. So I was brought to a corner and then she touch my pockets. Touch my groin. Wah! I looked at her, she look at me, ask me what's that? I ask her, you don't know meh? She touch again and smile at me. Not that I mind, :p but she ain't bad looking either. But I never proceed. Like that I considered earn tio or she earned?

she touch again n u didnt shout molest?? keke... lidat i oso dun mind kena stop everytime sia... keke :biggrin::p

SammyHulk

Alfrescian
Loyal

Wah like that also can ah? who earned tio depends on how you look at it lor.:p:biggrin:

X

xplosive_boy

Got once I was transiting thru Changi airport to the US and the oppicer at changi asked the usual stupid questions. Following is a true conversation i had with him:

Me: Morning ... (smiles at him)
Police: (silent) ... (looks at my passport and tickets) ....
me: (dum de dum)
Police: How many bags are you carrying to US?
me: Include hand carry or not?
Police: Yes.
me: 3
Police: Did you pack your bags urself?
me: Partly, my mom also help me pack. (trying to be honest mah)
Police: Are you aware of all the items in your bags?
me: I think so.
Police: (give angry face and shows a poster with all kinds of weapons drawn on it) Are any of these items in your bags?
me: I don't think so.
Police: Are there any alcoholic items in your bags?
me: Not that I know of.
Police: Yes or no?!?! Trying to be funny issit?~!?!
me: No lo.
Police: Things in your bag u dunno meh???!
me: As far as I know, dun have lo.
Police: Go la. (waves me thru)

Next time remind me not to be so honest...

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah like that also can ah? who earned tio depends on how you look at it lor.:p:biggrin:

Actually wanted to get her number, but then she is civil servant, if she give me, I take. If I ask and she shout I trying to be funny, I will be at the most losing end. So when thinking must use big head.

Luckily not an old sergeant, if not my tears will flow down :(

dc7176

Alfrescian
Loyal
Police: Did you pack your bags urself?
me: Partly, my mom also help me pack. (trying to be honest mah)
Police: Are you aware of all the items in your bags?
me: I think so.

Next time remind me not to be so honest...

try tat at US?? they will make u open the bag n they pour everything out for u!!! they simply dun give a damm wat n who r u!! :cool:

onetwo

dear TS, u sound like u always kenna spot chks so u start this topic ha?

i had a experience when i was young, me and a bunch of friends were playing cards at the void deck of hdb when 2 PO came to screen us. as we were only staying nearby, we didn't have our ic with us.

Police officer : show me ur ic.
Friend : never bring.
Police officer : show me whatever u have.
Friend : *takes out keys* i only have key, u want to chk them?
Police officer : *very angry* u trying to be funny !!! who u think i am, ur brother???

end up my friend waste time at police post...

So sometimes dun say things tht are meaningless will really help..

not that i always get checked, in fact I have never been checked before. Just that from what I can see Singapore Policeman seemed to be getting unprofessional with PO getting younger and "benger" (of course not all POs). Sometimes I can see PO checking foregin workers veri unprofessionally, like bullying/ embrassing the foreign workers.

If they can do this to foreign workers, they may do it to fellow countrymen also.

coolfire69

Alfrescian
Loyal
not that i always get checked, in fact I have never been checked before. Just that from what I can see Singapore Policeman seemed to be getting unprofessional with PO getting younger and "benger" (of course not all POs). Sometimes I can see PO checking foregin workers veri unprofessionally, like bullying/ embrassing the foreign workers.

If they can do this to foreign workers, they may do it to fellow countrymen also.

This is exactly what I feel too.

slurpoyster

Alfrescian
Loyal
bros, just let the officers do their work. U think they like to go around checking people mah. Most probably someone called the police and they bopian have to check it out. If u have nothing to hide, would u rather
1) they check u on the spot and clear u or;
2) u try to be funny & challenge them and handcuff u and bring u back to the station (and yes, they have the right to do it - obstructing them from carrying out their duties)
which one more malu?

Most of them are reasonable and they are more patient and nice now compared to when i was serving my NS with the force.

In the past, people, especially youngsters were afraid of the police and anyone trying to be funny was taken to hand with a slap. Once, during my annual reservist, a group of youngsters (14 -17 yo) even shouted back at police when we asked them to stop making so much noise at 2am at a void deck. In the end, we took them all back and called their parents. Oh, how much i wanted to slap each and everyone of them, haha

scoobyhoo

Alfrescian
Loyal
just be cooperative if they check on you. if they use inappropriate language or action, of course you can complain after this.