• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Powell wins again

K

KassemSaleh

Sunday July 27, 2008
Powell wins again, Gay pulls out of 100m showdown, Yelena fails in record bid

LONDON: Former world record holder Asafa Powell grabbed a second pre-Olympics 100m win in three days on Friday when he cruised to victory at the London Grand Prix at Crystal Palace.

The Jamaican clocked 9.94 seconds to win ahead of Trinidad’s Marc Burns (9.97) in a race which had been originally billed as a clash with world champion Tyson Gay.

However, the American pulled out after failing to recover from the hamstring injury he suffered during the Olympic trials last month.

Powell had defeated compatriot and world record holder Usain Bolt in Stockholm on Tuesday in a time of 9.88, but a tough headwind compromised the Jamaican’s attempts to press faster on Friday.

“It wasn’t as quick as it could have been, but I’m ready,” said Powell. “There is some more work to do but everything is looking fine for Beijing.”

America’s double world champion Allyson Felix left the stadium refusing to discuss her limp 200m performance which so enraged her that she didn’t take her place in the 4x100m relay.

Felix was fourth in the 200m in a time of 23.00 seconds, a time which wouldn’t guarantee her a place in the Beijing final in three weeks’ time.

The event was won by Jamaica’s Sherone Simpson in 22.70.

Two weeks after setting her 23rd pole vault world record in Rome, Russia’s Yelena Isinbayeva narrowly failed in her bid to make it 24 when she attempted to clear 5.04m.

America’s Jenny Stuczynski, Isinbayeva’s closest rival, only cleared 4.81m and looks powerless to prevent the Russian from successfully defending her Olympic title.

World 400m champion Christine Ohuruogu of Britain won her race, her only outing before Beijing.

Britain’s Phillips Idowu, the world indoor champion, won the triple jump with a distance of 17.42m.

“I had to wait until rounds four and five to get going but I’ve been saying all year that I feel regardless of whatever anyone else does, I’m not going to lose,” said Idowu.

In the absence of world 110m hurdles record holder Dayron Robles, David Oliver of America took victory in 13.20 seconds.

Russia’s Andrey Silnov, who missed out on selection for the Olympics, won the men’s high jump with a season best leap of 2.38m.