• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

property investment technique in oz

fishbuff

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the way, if you post something and there is a critique, at least cite your reasons instead of running away and then pretending nothing happened.

Those following the posts are still waiting what "homework" you did for auctions.

By the way, you are thrashing threads by arguing with Redbull while in your own forum you have banned him. Save us the trouble of going thru rubbish posts. Also I think the stuff about bodybuilding is better in the common folder.

hey ass, if u think u are damn smart, then cough up some topic. u seems to be in a world of your own and u MUST get everyone to agree with u. do u have a problem with your ego?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Oei don't fight lah, its bad enough with the trolls around now you guys fighting.
At least the trolls makes for some entertainment.

Actually, I quite like the arguments. I have heard enough sad stories of owner-builders.

One has his roof eaves trimmed off because it intrude into the neighbour's property. As you know, Perth houses are usually double-bricked, so when it rains, the water went between the walls, and the water has to overflow somewhere ... such as, into the house and ruin the floor.

Another chap got termites all over his house because his vanity is sitting on bare soil. How did that happened?

Then we have this chap whose shower area leaks into the wall downstairs. The cornices was so damp-damaged that it looked like stalactites in a cave.

Ask him why he did not get it fixed, he said, no builder dare to touch the work finished by owner-builder - not worth the risky and their reputation.

Some of these are due to cheapskate migrants who bring in cheap construction workers (on visitors passes !!!) to build their mansions.

Of course, they are going to get dodgy results.

I am not suggusting that the forummers here to doing that. I am just sharing nightmare stories of the building gone wrong.

Even builders are known to make mistakes ... like my friend showed me this house. Everything is fine, until they found out that that forgot to install a bathroom downstairs. :biggrin:

106142340mm1258004340.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?id=106142340&a=qfp&cu=fn-rea&t=res

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Owner-builder houses are truly a nightmare. I do not wish it on anyone to either to build or buy one. Occasionally, one enters the property and the unusually low price is the giveaway.

You also raised another good point about no builder will touch it. Thats true for even the half completed ones. The usual suggestion is to raze the whole thing and submit new plans and erect a new building by an authorised builder.

Actually, I quite like the arguments. I have heard enough sad stories of owner-builders.

One has his roof eaves trimmed off because it intrude into the neighbour's property. As you know, Perth houses are usually double-bricked, so when it rains, the water went between the walls, and the water has to overflow somewhere ... such as, into the house and ruin the floor.

Another chap got termites all over his house because his vanity is sitting on bare soil. How did that happened?

Then we have this chap whose shower area leaks into the wall downstairs. The cornices was so damp-damaged that it looked like stalactites in a cave.

Ask him why he did not get it fixed, he said, no builder dare to touch the work finished by owner-builder - not worth the risky and their reputation.

Some of these are due to cheapskate migrants who bring in cheap construction workers (on visitors passes !!!) to build their mansions.

Of course, they are going to get dodgy results.

Last edited:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have come across houses both in OZ and UK where kitchens are installed on the 2nd flr instead of the ground floor. They are hard dispose of in a sale. Can't seem to get the answer for it.

Everything is fine, until they found out that that forgot to install a bathroom downstairs. :biggrin:

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyah, not saying both scroobal and fishbuff don't have their valid point. If you look at the direction they are going they are going at each others throats. Just want the thread to continue on a saner path rather then hurling personal insults at each other lah. We are better then the trolls.

I do enjoy the post where valid arguments are made from both sides about owner-builder. I think the question is are you experienced, qualified enough to do it. The possibility of "creating/designing/building" your own home is a very nice option to have. This has to be coupled with years of industrial experiences and know-how. As an example, I personally won't be bothered building my own white boxes anymore. I'll rather pay some $$ to get a Mac. :wink: Same with cars, look at the 死子孩 here modify their cars with bigger spoilers, exhaust and stick initial D,Type R badge on their crap Mazda 6, I out ran them at the traffic lights with my stock standard cooper S. :biggrin: I also know someone that modified his Audi into a 200KW machine, turns out his dad is a mechanic. Its these type of people with the knowledge/contacts/experience where owner-builder are meant for. Not the 假害 migrants lah.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The folder is on emigration. This was pointed out to you by others previously.
The folder is to help others in their desire to move to greener pastures. Its not for you to engage in battles with others who also don't contribute but thrash threads. If you have a suggestion or wish to contribute, try and put across at least one positive for it or to seek help from others. Don't suggest something and disappear. As the owner-builder suggestion, you have not even bothered to provide a single positive despite being asked.

This folder has been previously being thrashed by Redbull, his many manifestations and by those who respond to him in the belief that they are heroes saving the rest. Redbull lives purely on a reply / response. I too have had my moments of folly and fell for it. I too was told off.

Some of us have contributed positively by resurrecting this valuable folder. Please understand this.

hey ass, if u think u are damn smart, then cough up some topic. u seems to be in a world of your own and u MUST get everyone to agree with u. do u have a problem with your ego?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The owner-builder concept was adopted by people that bought land in remote idyliic locations for their ideal resort. In OZ, they call it "shacks". Despite its name, some build palatial "shacks" and others throw zince sheets over a bricked off square. When the areas starts to appreciate in value over 2decades, they raze it to the ground and get experienced builders to do the job.

South of Sydney ( 200 clicks) such as Bateman's Bay is a beautiful location. Its used to be full of owner built shacks. Now these have been razed and beautiful homes have been built.

I do enjoy the post where valid arguments are made from both sides about owner-builder. I think the question is are you experienced, qualified enough to do it. The possibility of "creating/designing/building" your own home is a very nice option to have.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
You probably have done your homework but I know that you are keen on housing development but never ever obtain an owner builder license especially if you keen on developing houses.

Thanks for your advice. I think I shld know what i am doing.. I do not bother to explain what I do or how I do.. unless the chap is genuine and willing to learn ~ I can share..

Let me answer your query : You said : "If that is your intention, it best to get a solicitor to do your purchase, as they can ascertain if the house on the plot is heritage listed, marked for development such as infrastructure etc. In Singapore, it called the red line". If everyone take your advice, they will go bankrupt in no time :p . A solicitor does not have a clue on this and they do not give advice on land use/development - Town Planner is tasked to do that ! Otherwise, a simple basic search ($15) on the land use.. will conclude the findings.. Having said that, there are ways to overturn zoning.. if you know how to use the competent person..

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
bloody hell.. if i dont bring up this topic, no one would talk about it. and when i bring it up, it falls onto scrutiny by you, you are simply a very critical person, eh? whatever topic that have been suggested here, u simply want to stick your foot in. for once, if u are not an IT person, not holding any investment nor have to $$$ to do so, then please refrain from sharing your "expert" opinions.

Cool bro.. lets discuss something fruitful.. I did have my owner-builder license.. approved by BSA.. easy process for me :smile: but decide to cancel it and sublet to a builder to perform the work coz tender excercise confirmed value-for-money & fast turn over. Construction stopped due to some issues.. I am taking it to Court. (note: Creative Tech sued Apple iPod for 100mil by going to Court)

While I am doing this.. ppl laughed and ppl claimed I can't achieve anything.. LOL. these ppl dont have a clue on what the gains are.. I asked a simple qns, do they ever wonder why the developer purchased a ppty.. choose to demolish it and left it vacant for 5-10yrs before developing. They asked why ? but i turned away and did not answer them.. I called them ID-10T... "idiot" for short..

There are also ppl who claimed I paid too much for my stamp duty in Melbourne.. again BUT these ppl dont have a clue on what is the gain.. a mere 10% gain from 1 mil ppty can easily cover the stamp duty.. Today news reported Melbourne properties avg 15% gain..

Last edited:

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for your advice. I think I shld know what i am doing.. I do not bother to explain what I do or how I do.. unless the chap is genuine and willing to learn ~ I can share..

Let me answer your query : You said : "If that is your intention, it best to get a solicitor to do your purchase, as they can ascertain if the house on the plot is heritage listed, marked for development such as infrastructure etc. In Singapore, it called the red line". If everyone take your advice, they will go bankrupt in no time :p . A solicitor does not have a clue on this and they do not give advice on land use/development - Town Planner is tasked to do that ! Otherwise, a simple basic search ($15) on the land use.. will conclude the findings.. Having said that, there are ways to overturn zoning.. if you know how to use the competent person..

looks like the cracks are showing up in the "expert"'s advise......

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even builders are known to make mistakes ... like my friend showed me this house. Everything is fine, until they found out that that forgot to install a bathroom downstairs. :biggrin:

106142340mm1258004340.jpg

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?id=106142340&a=qfp&cu=fn-rea&t=res

These are called poor design.. or idiot owner think he is capable enough to handle it all by himself..

I have a company doing aquisition, planning, and project management.. Do stop over, I'll give advice for a nominal fee :biggrin:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not crazy, tis is how the Real Estate Game is played. I am not much of a talker. Just Do it when i have set up the conditions to be rite.

From all your posting, it seems that it takes a lot to be a builder in Oz. Ca is much simpler. Just declare yourself to be one - end of story.

When young, I always asked myself why builders always go bankrupt during crisis and developers always survive :( Finally, I found my answer as I grew older..

Doing what I am doing now has always been my dream, I'm glad Australia - Brisbane allow me to have the opportunity, next Melbourne... my learning curve has been tough but along the way, it becomes eazi-piecezi japanezi :biggrin:

I'm aint one yet until I see the "finished chicken".. I'm glad based on land price I'm already ahead compare to the fellow migrants..

I like your model - rental (of business) but I prefer another aggressive model - capital gain due to effective tax and good connections with the industry. However, I have to watch closely in the area of aquisition.. My next plan is commercial building.. :smile:

Last edited:

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not crazy, tis is how the Real Estate Game is played. I am not much of a talker. Just Do it when i have set up the conditions to be rite.

From all your posting, it seems that it takes a lot to be a builder in Oz. Ca is much simpler. Just declare yourself to be one - end of story.

Another option - Australian Perspective

http://www.realestate.com.au/doc/Resources/News/developer-trends.htm

New South Wales property developers are following a trend started in Europe to “build and hold” residential projects rather than selling them off.

New trend for developers

The new approach comes as rental yields increase and apartment blocks prove to be an attractive investment opportunity.

Colliers International director of residential site development Curtis Field says as super funds and large listed property trusts look for diverse investments to balance their investment portfolios, holding large projects will become more attractive.

“‘weLive’ recently purchased a site at Zetland in South Sydney with the purpose of building apartments and holding them as a long-term investment,” he say.

The development of 307 apartments, a mix of studios, one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, is specifically designed for the rental market.

“This development is an example of a new approach to development in Sydney and a direct response to the tightening rental market and the subdued sales market in this area,” he says.

“The benefits include the delivery of new rental stock in the CBD fringe market and the commencement of a project in an area that has had limited development activity.”

He says the Zetland development is a clear indication that the market is viewing long-term hold of residential property as an alternative to commercial, industrial and retail opportunities.

While the development could temporarily stagnate rents when it is completed – it would only be short lived.

“The underlying demand will fill the apartments,” he said.

Mr Field predicts there are several effects that this new trend could have on Sydney’s residential property market.

“The development of the apartments to hold will see an increase in housing stock in the area without the corresponding availability of stock to buy”, he said.

“The benefit of this type of development will be that it will show that there are people wanting to live in the area and ultimately renters become buyers.

“Therefore, it brings buyers to the area that may not have looked at the market if they hadn’t been able to rent there first.”

Mr Field predicts Sydney will see more of this type of development in the near future.

‘Should a developer choose not to sell units upon completion the GST can be effectively ‘washed out’ by holding for longer than 5 years,” he said.

“This naturally has an impact on the end sales price if the units are to be sold. In the case of weLive, we understand that there is no current intention to sell the units, rather it is a long term hold strategy.”

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have come across houses both in OZ and UK where kitchens are installed on the 2nd flr instead of the ground floor. They are hard dispose of in a sale. Can't seem to get the answer for it.

It makes sense to design a house that you can sell later.

We have to think livability.

Example. I come home via the garage that has an auto garage light that also remotely disarm the security alarm. I carry out groceries and enter the house through the shopper entry that has a door stopper. This will make it easy for me to unload my grocery bags onto the trolley which is beside the door. Since the garage opens to the kitchen pantry, I also design it to switch on the kitchen light to make things convenient.

I cannot understand 2nd floor kitchen. My NZ-made rangehood is made for asian smokey cooking and flue outside the house. Yes, I have to bend the exhaust outlet at the loss of 20% capacity. But I have catered for that loss by using a powerful rangehood.

If there is a proper kitchen downstairs and a kitchenette upstairs, it is fine.
It is good when selling too. Townhouses are good for housing guests and migrants tend to have guests who stay for weeks.

So, if if we create 2 living zones, the guests can have their privacy and living space, and not mess up the missus kitchen (they have their own kitchenette and a place to keep their sauces and cooking oil) - less frictions.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah, not saying both scroobal and fishbuff don't have their valid point. If you look at the direction they are going they are going at each others throats. Just want the thread to continue on a saner path rather then hurling personal insults at each other lah. We are better then the trolls.

Its these type of people with the knowledge/contacts/experience where owner-builder are meant for. Not the 假害 migrants lah.

Don't get me wrong. It is Ok to buy a piece of vacant land, find a licenced builder to build it for you. But you have to sit down with your family to discuss every single thing, to the detail of where you want the ON/OFF switch. To some people, it is more fun than assembling a PC from Sim Lim Sq.

But remember to budget properly and for a $270,000 townhouse, set aside $50k for cost overrun.

Also, either don't change the design after construction starts or choose a builder that is willing to accept 10-20 changes but charges extra upfront.

All these costs are important, because you need prior arrangement with your bank. Usually, these are very standard, the bank will pay in 4 or 5 installments to your builder thru' the construction phases.

Once the cement truck comes to lay the house foundation, your house building work will quickly take shape.

It will be the house that Ash design. That satisfaction is hard to describe.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These are called poor design.. or idiot owner think he is capable enough to handle it all by himself..

I have a company doing aquisition, planning, and project management.. Do stop over, I'll give advice for a nominal fee :biggrin:

This chap was building 3 houses at the same time, I know he is going to mess up. But it did not sting on the interior. Just look at the photos. Do you know how much he spent on that 900mm cooker/oven and the staircase?

I cannot comment on the exterior, limits set by council restrictions.

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
This chap was building 3 houses at the same time, I know he is going to mess up. But it did not sting on the interior. Just look at the photos. Do you know how much he spent on that 900mm cooker/oven and the staircase?

I cannot comment on the exterior, limits set by council restrictions.

Dunno about the brand.. a norm 900 upright cooker would be around 1.5k to 2k.. unless the high end Euro type (red/gold/black) about 5-7k.

As a person within the industry, I cannot comment about the design :biggrin: Even if you go to the best volume builder or best archt, there will be design that does not suit individual. In Australia, if there's a requirement and it is away from Australian Standard, it is considered wrong.. however, if there is no rules... any outcome is deemed acceptable :smile:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sub-division is essentially a business venture. The cost of a solicitor falls into the cost component of subdividing and selling and therefore tax deductable cost.

Pointless acquiring a site with the intention to subdivide when you are not aware what status of the site is. A $15 search does not tell if heritage listing is being considered for example. Its requires writing to the State Heritage Board. This is just one example.

By getting a solicitor, you at least have the avenue of suing him if he does not unearth what is reasonably expected of him. You can't sue yourself to cover the losses for $15 of thinking.

The choice is yours.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I now realised why Fishbuff raised the owner-builder issue. The penny has certainly dropped.

Cool bro.. lets discuss something fruitful.. I did have my owner-builder license.. approved by BSA.. easy process for me :smile: but decide to cancel it and sublet to a builder to perform the work coz tender excercise confirmed value-for-money & fast turn over. ..

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
You should consider selling your expertise as a housing consultant in Singapore. Many of the House & Land Package firms from Oz tend to be rigid when they hold exhibitions in Singapore. There is still demand from Singaporeans to buy a landed property on Perth.

If you build 2 or more townhouses in the same plot, you can even get one the GLCs to lease long term as holiday accommodation. They will have to maintain it.

It makes sense to design a house that you can sell later.

We have to think livability.

Example. I come home via the garage that has an auto garage light that also remotely disarm the security alarm. I carry out groceries and enter the house through the shopper entry that has a door stopper. This will make it easy for me to unload my grocery bags onto the trolley which is beside the door. Since the garage opens to the kitchen pantry, I also design it to switch on the kitchen light to make things convenient.