• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Seeing red over "free" notebook

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
THEY had been promised a free laptop.

But all some of them got was an afternoon of waiting - for nothing.

The pitch was attractive: Sign up for a broadband Internet plan with StarHub and get a free laptop.

All they had to do was turn up at the redemption centre at Funan DigitaLife Mall to collect their gift.

But an overwhelming number of people turned up yesterday.

And as the queue got longer, tempers flared.

It didn't help that the redemption centre had a shortage of laptops. People in the queue were told that there were only about 1,100 laptops to be given away yesterday.

When The New Paper arrived at 7.30pm, the queue number had reached about 1,600.

A sign was also placed at the front of the centre, offering two options to those who were left out - come back next month to collect the laptop, or register with the counter staff to have it sent by post.

Four to five people were busy working at the registration counter.

After registering their details, customers were given a slip of paper to take to another counter, two doors down, to pick up their laptops.

While the registration went slowly, there was almost no wait to collect the laptops - customers were seen picking them once they had escaped the jam at registration.

TIRED

There were still about 60 to 70 people milling around at the registration counter by the time we arrived.

Many of them looked tired, and, when asked, said they had been at the centre for the better part of the afternoon.

One customer, who declined to be named, launched into a tirade upon hearing we were from the media.

'I've been here since 1 pm and I still don't have a laptop,' he said.

'How can it be so difficult to just collect something? All the signups were done earlier, so don't they already know how many laptops to keep?'

One customer Mr Sugi, 31, got his queue number, 886, at lunchtime.

When another customer, Mr Chua, arrived at 3 pm, the queue number had gone up to 1409.

At 7.30pm, both were still waiting for their queue numbers to be called.

Mr Chua claimed: 'I've seen people without a queue number just push their way up to the counter and give their registration details. The staff attended to them anyway.'

Hearing this, Mr Sugi added: 'It was worse just now when there were more people.'

When approached, the staff at the counter said that they were very busy, and that their manager was not around to comment.

The New Paper understands that the redemption centre is not run by StarHub.

Why the confusion?

Some customers showed The New Paper a letter stating that the laptops could be collected from today.

When asked why she didn't pick a later date to collect her laptop, one woman replied: 'Lucky I was here today. See, they ran out of laptops anyway.

'If I had come tomorrow, I would have got nothing.'

NEW STOCKS IN AUGUST

Mr Michael Sim, spokesman for StarHub, apologised for the confusion and said that new stocks should arrive on 11 Aug or sooner.

He explained that the collections were staggered over a few dates, and that customers were told they could collect their laptops from a certain date.

He also said anyone in the queue who registered would not have to pay delivery charges for their laptop.

Customers who have yet to redeem their gifts should call the redemption centre at 6883-0512 to check if stocks are available.

'We are sorry that people had to wait for so long in the queue. We hope for our customers' patience and understanding,' Mr Sim said.

Alamak how cum SuckHub happy happy promotion aw end up in a warzone 1 har? Y spend so much time n moni 2 organise such promotion n end up having tons of unhappy customer... Haizz..:(:biggrin:

jerry

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can it be so difficult to just collect something? All the signups were done earlier, so don't they already know how many laptops to keep?

That's a cockup. I feel sorry for those who had to wait for whole day there. The manager ought to be given a lecture for this error.

I've seen people without a queue number just push their way up to the counter and give their registration details. The staff attended to them anyway.

That's what I call customer service :biggrin: although the actions of those who jump queue is unacceptable:mad:

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Answer from the is collect next month. What a stupid answer/response.Who going to pay time and transport cost for the customer to come down one more time. They should have called Starhub manager to come down to explain to then. Or Starhub should waive one month fee,since they tell customer to come back next month.

tomoko

Alfrescian
Loyal
Answer from the is collect next month. What a stupid answer/response.Who going to pay time and transport cost for the customer to come down one more time. They should have called Starhub manager to come down to explain to then. Or Starhub should waive one month fee,since they tell customer to come back next month.

This free notebook thingy is really a mess up..:mad: