• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

70's, 80's 'Feel Good' Music

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I Can't Wait" is a song recorded by American group Nu Shooz from the 1986 album Poolside. The song was originally recorded in late 1984, was featured on the band's second album Tha's Right the following year. Credits on the back of the single indicate that the Poolside LP was originally to be called "The Point of No Return." The song was remixed overseas. This remixed version is the one that appears on Poolside.
In the United States, the song reached No. 1 on Billboard's Hot Dance Club Play chart in late March 1986, remaining atop the chart for two weeks. Soon afterwards, the song appeared on the Hot 100 chart, where it climbed to No. 3 in mid-June of that year, and remained in the top 40 for 15 weeks. In the United Kingdom, the song reached No. 2 on the UK Singles Chart. The single returned to the U.S. charts in 2015, where it peaked at number 17 on the Billboard Dance/Electronic Digital Songs chart

Nu Shooz- I Can't Wait

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"All I Need" is a 1984 song by American actor and singer Jack Wagner.
Wagner became known for his role as Frisco Jones on the soap opera General Hospital prior to recording the song; he has since had roles on other television programs, such as The Bold and the Beautiful and Melrose Place. "All I Need" was written by Glen Ballard, David Pack and Clif Magness and produced by Ballard and Magness. The song proved to be Wagner's only Top 40 hit, peaking at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in early 1985. It remained at the runner-up position for two weeks, behind Madonna's "Like a Virgin". The single did spend two weeks atop Billboard's adult contemporary chart. The ballad is the title-track to Wagner's 1984 debut album. The song is a romantic plea from Wagner to the one he loves: All I need / Is just a little more time / To be sure what I feel.
In 2009, VH1 ranked "All I Need" No. 71 on its program 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s.

Jack Wagner - All I Need

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Far from Over" is a song by Frank Stallone that appeared in the 1983 film Staying Alive and was also featured in the film's soundtrack. The song was written by Stallone and Vince DiCola. It was a top-ten U.S. single in September 1983, peaking at number ten on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming his only major hit. The 7" single version is slightly different from the LP version, and it was the 7" version which was played on most radio stations in the US while on the Billboard Hot 100.
The instrumental version was used as the theme for Starrcade from 1983 to 1987, and makes a memorable appearance in the famous 1984 Saturday Night Live "synchronized swimming" segment with Martin Short and Harry Shearer. Also, WRAL-TV in Raleigh, North Carolina used it for their Football Fridays broadcasts during the mid-1980s. as did WDIV-TV in Detroit, Michigan for its Sunday sports wrap-up show Sports Final Edition, which is still currently used today. The song was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song. The song had renewed popularity in 2010 when Australian comedy duo Hamish & Andy proclaimed on air that the song gave the listener an extra burst of energy and dubbed the phenomenon as "The Frank Effect". A special one time concert was held in Australia as a result.
In the U.S., the song became RSO Records final top 10 single and top 40 hit on the Billboard Hot 100.

Frank Stallone - Far From Over

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird Medley (Free Baby)" is a song by the American dance-pop band Will to Power. The song combines elements of two previously recorded rock songs: "Baby, I Love Your Way", a #12 Billboard Hot 100 hit from 1976 by the British-born singer Peter Frampton; and American Southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd's song "Free Bird", which hit #19 on the Hot 100 chart in 1975. Will to Power's medley of these two songs had more of a synthesized dance beat (as opposed to the rock ballad-like nature of the two original songs). It spent one week at #1 on the Hot 100 chart dated December 3, 1988. It also peaked at #2 on the Billboard adult contemporary chart. Additionally, in the "Freebird" section, the line "and the bird you cannot change" in the original version was changed to "and this bird will never change".
In March and April 2009, VH1 ran a countdown of the 100 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 80s. Will to Power's "Baby, I Love Your Way/Freebird Medley" placed at #97 on the countdown despite the fact the group having another Top 10 hit in 1991 with a cover version of the 1975 10cc hit "I'm Not in Love."

Will to Power - Baby, I love your way

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Sea of Love" is a song written by Philip Baptiste (better known as Phil Phillips) and George Khoury. Phillips' 1959 recording of the song peaked at No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard R&B chart and No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. It became a gold record. It was the only top-40 chart song for Phillips, who never recorded another hit. In the UK, Marty Wilde covered the song, his version peaked at No. 3, and Phillips' version failed to chart there.
The song has been covered by a number of artists since then, most notably by The Honeydrippers, whose version (from the album The Honeydrippers: Volume One) reached No. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart in early 1985 and No. 1 on the adult contemporary chart in 1984. "Sea of Love" made the Top 40 one other time, when Del Shannon took it to No. 33 in 1981.

The Honeydrippers - Sea of love

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Warm Ride" is a song written by Barry, Robin and Maurice Gibb, and recorded by the Bee Gees and during the 1977 Saturday Night Fever sessions in France. The Bee Gees original, if unfinished, recording remained unreleased until 2007 when it was mixed and included on a reissue of Bee Gees Greatest.
The song was recorded by Rare Earth, for whom the song was originally written by the Bee Gees. The song reached number 39 on the US charts.
Graham Bonnet's version was released as a single and reached number 2 in Australia in 1978.
Andy Gibb's version of the song was recorded in 1979 and released in 1980 on his last studio album, After Dark. It was the last song recorded for the album with backing vocals done by elder brother Barry Gibb.

Rare Earth - Warm Ride

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"The Captain of Her Heart" is a single by the Swiss duo Double in 1985. Taken from their 1985 album Blue, the song is a ballad about a girl who stops waiting for her absent lover to return. The song was an international success, reaching No. 8 in the UK Singles Chart and No. 16 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song also made Double the first Swiss act to hit the Top 40 in the Billboard Hot 100.
In a retrospective review of the song, Allmusic journalist Stewart Mason suggested that the song is "one of the great lost one hit wonders of the mid-1980s." Mason wrote: "The Swiss duo never managed to capitalize on this song's casual sophistication and melodic grace, but it remains a glorious anomaly." The prominent saxophone on the song was played by Christian Ostermeier.
There were two different music videos produced for the song. The original Swiss version features the band performing the song in a darkened room. The US version of the video incorporates more of a storyline, with alternating location shots featuring the band members and various female models.
The song has been covered by Randy Crawford, Laurent Voulzy, Koto, Roland Kaiser, Ronnie Jones and Beauty & Deep. Contemporary jazz pianist Duncan Millar offered his take on his 2001 album Good to Go.

Double - The Captain Of Her Heart

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"I Just Wanna Stop" is a song by Canadian singer/songwriter Gino Vannelli. Released as a single in 1978, the song is his biggest hit single to date, reaching number one in his native Canada and number four on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100. It appears on his sixth album, Brother to Brother. The song was produced by the three brothers Gino, Joe and Ross Vannelli, and written by Ross.

Gino Vannelli - I just wanna stop

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Last Dance" is a song by American singer Donna Summer from the soundtrack album to the 1978 film Thank God It's Friday. It was written by Paul Jabara, co-produced by Summer's regular collaborator Giorgio Moroder and Bob Esty, and mixed by Grammy Award-winning producer Stephen Short, whose backing vocals are featured in the song.
"Last Dance" became a critical and commercial success, winning the Academy and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song, the Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance, and peaked at number three on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, all in 1978.
Summer has a role in the film Thank God It's Friday as an aspiring singer who brings an instrumental track of "Last Dance" to a disco in hopes the disc jockey will play the track and allow her to sing the song for her fellow patrons: after refusing through most of the film the disc jockey eventually obliges Summer's character and her performance causes a sensation.
According to the song's co-producer and co-writer Bob Esty, Paul Jabara had locked Summer in a Puerto Rico hotel bathroom and forced her to listen to a cassette of him singing a rough version of "Last Dance." Summer liked the song and Jabara asked Esty to work with him on an arrangement for Summer to make her recording. Esty recalls:
I changed some of the chords and extended the 'hook' to repeat three times to finish the last phrase of the chorus. I also added a bridge to build to a climax and suggested a ballad intro à la "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" and another ballad in the middle of the song building again to a high note for the last chorus ending. To our knowledge, this had never been done in a disco track. ..We did the piano/vocal with Donna and me of the full version including the two ballad sections and the ending in one 'pass'...I recorded the full track in one day, rhythm in the morning, horns and strings during the day. That same night, Giorgio Moroder recorded Donna's vocal exactly as she sang the demo, in two takes, and banning me from attending the session. In spite of the fact Giorgio didn't like the song and didn't want Donna to sing in a full voice style, I thought I would be at least credited for co-producing the track and co-writing the song with Paul. He ultimately took credit for it. And Paul Jabara took the Oscar. I learned a bitter lesson from that.
—?Bob Esty
"Last Dance" was also one of the first disco songs to feature slow tempo parts: it starts off as a ballad; the full-length version on the film soundtrack also has a slow part in the middle. This part was edited out for the 7". The versions found on most greatest hits packages is either the original 7" edit (3:21) or the slightly longer and remixed version from the 1979 compilation On The Radio: Greatest Hits Volumes 1 & 2 (4:56). "Last Dance" started a trend for Summer as some of her following hits also had a ballad-like intro before speeding up the tempo. On David Foster's "The Hitman Returns" DVD, David Foster introduces the song by relating a story to Donna Summer. When he played on the session in 1978, Foster thought the producer's suggestion to start the song as a ballad and change into a faster tempo was "the stupidest idea I've ever heard in my life, but we did it."
"Last Dance" won an Academy Award, and a Golden Globe for Best Original Song that same year. It won Favorite Disco Single at the American Music Awards and Donna won Favorite Female Disco Artist. She would also win the Grammy Awards for Best R & B Vocal Performance Female for the song. With a #3 peak on the Hot 100 in Billboard magazine in August 1978, "Last Dance" became Summer's third US Top Ten hit after "Love to Love You Baby" and "I Feel Love" and almost matched the #2 hit "Love to Love You Baby" as Summer's best-charting single (at that time). "Last Dance" also afforded Summer a #5 hit on the R&B charts, and was #1 on Billboard's Hot Disco Action Chart for six weeks eventually being ranked as the #1 Disco hit for the year 1978. Certified gold for sales of a million units in the US,"Last Dance" marked a downturn in Summer's chart fortunes in the UK where she'd previously had more chart impact than in the US with "Last Dance"'s UK chart peak being at #51; Summer would return to the UK Top Ten - at #5 - with her follow-up single "MacArthur Park" a single which afforded Summer her first US #1. The song was ranked number 10 out of the top 76 songs of the 1970s by internet radio station WDDF Radio in their 2016 countdown

Donna Summer - Last Dance

Last edited:

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" was written and composed by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, with the lead vocal sung by Agnetha Fältskog. Agnetha, as the narrator, weaves the image of a lonely young woman who longs for a romantic relationship and views her loneliness as a forbidding darkness of night, even drawing parallels to how the happy endings of movie stars are so different from her own existence.
The song was recorded at Polar Music Studios in Stockholm, Sweden, in August 1979, and was ready for release in October of that year, in conjunction with the group's tour of North America and Europe.
Originally, ABBA had recorded another song, "Rubber Ball Man", which was planned as a single. It featured the typical "ABBA-arrangement" with both Fältskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad on lead vocals and the use of classical strings. This song was also performed by the group during rehearsals for its 1979 tour as "Under My Sun". However, the group felt that "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!", with its disco sound, would be a better choice, and thus, "Rubber Ball Man" remained nothing more than a demo.
"¡Dame! ¡Dame! ¡Dame!" is the Spanish-language version of the song. The song was released as a single to promote Gracias Por La Música in Latin America and other Spanish-speaking countries.
"Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)" was another highly successful song for ABBA. It hit no. 1 in Belgium, Finland, France, Ireland, and Switzerland, while reaching the Top 3 in Austria, Germany, Great Britain, The Netherlands, and Norway. It also proved to be ABBA's most successful song in Japan, hitting no. 17.

Abba - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Double Vision" is a single by Foreigner from their second album of the same name. The song reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart for two weeks in 1978, behind "MacArthur Park" by Donna Summer. It became a gold record. The song was also a top 10 hit in Canada.
The song has been a staple of the band's setlist since its release. Over recent years, Lou Gramm and Foreigner (now fronted by Kelly Hansen) have both used the song as their show opener.
This song is featured in Guitar Hero: Van Halen. It was also used in a 1990s Burger King ad.
In an interview, vocalist Lou Gramm explained the origin behind the song: "'Double Vision' was a song that was written in about late 1977 just before the Double Vision album came out. ...A lot of people think it's about being intoxicated or being high. When we were recording that song before we had the title, the New York Rangers hockey team was playing the Philadelphia Flyers and one of the big Flyers guys bumped into the Rangers' all-star goalie [John Davidson] and knocked him down and they had to take him out of the game because he was experiencing double vision."
According to the New York Rangers website, the incident actually took place in April 1978 during a hockey game between the Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres. The game announcers repeatedly used the phrase "double vision" which then inspired Foreigner to use it as the song's title. The single is certified RIAA gold, selling one million copies, prior to the reduction of gold certification standards that occurred in the late 1980s.

Foreigner - Double Vision

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Just Once" is a 1981 single released from Quincy Jones' album The Dude on A&M Records. The song features James Ingram on vocals, and reached number 17 on the Billboard chart in the summer of 1981.
On a television program interview, Ingram stated that this song was a $50 demo done by ATV Music, composed by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. Quincy Jones called back and wanted Ingram to sing on his album.
The song is composed originally in the key of C major. The bridge modulates to the key of A flat major, moves to B major, and finally ends in D major.
The song was featured in the 1982 film The Last American Virgin.

James Ingram - Just once

postnew

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Sharing the Night Together" is a popular song written by Ava Aldridge and Eddie Struzick. Originally recorded by Lenny LeBlanc and then Arthur Alexander in 1976, the song was later a single produced by Ron Haffkine and performed by Dr. Hook from their album Pleasure & Pain. "Sharing the Night Together" also appeared on most of Dr. Hook's following albums including Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits (And More). It reached #6 in the U.S. and #3 in Canada in 1978, and #43 in the UK in 1980.

Dr Hook - "Sharing The Night Together"