• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Japan Hour? Korean Hour?

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
A question I have always asked but never got a satisfactory answer. Why CNA has Japan Hour and Korean hour yet there is no equivalent of a Hokkien or Cantonese hour? Are news/documentary made in Taiwan or Hong Kong that bad? I'm sure there are more people in Singapore that would appreciate listening to Hokkien or Cantonese versus Japanese/Korean. Most 2nd-3rd generation Singaporean has roots from southern china. Surely, the speak mandarin campaign is way over due and learning about your own dialect is not as bad as it seem. Anyone has any idea why PAPee is still enforcing this?

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simple...sg got japanese and korean communities..it's catered for them...not us...hokkien and cantonese? u can buy ur own dvds...

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Japan Hour and Korean Hour are sponsored by Japanese and Korean MNCs or corporations with big business links to Japan and Korea. Anyway, these are crap programs, especially Japan Hour. Every episode is about food and onsen, with aunties and uncles exclamating "oishii!" or "kimochi!" Yawnzzz...

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's good to be homogenous society ! You can go war together like the Japanese.

Look at us Singapore, we can't even decide on anything

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for the replies guys, was worried no one in Singapore cares about this.
Anyway, what I still don't get is why are we not embracing our heritage more in the media. Personally, I don't mind watching something in a foreign language as long as there are subtitles in it. Same with music, listening to HK artist sing in canton is totally different from hearing them sing in mandarin. Same with listening to hokkien songs. There is always that level of "intimacy" when you hear someone sing in their native tongue. Why is there no "movement" in Singapore to actually go back to their "roots" so to speak? Have we totally lost all our cultural heritage?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every episode is about food and onsen, with aunties and uncles exclamating "oishii!" or "kimochi!" Yawnzzz...

Hahahahaha

I hate it when they do that... just like having orgasms whenever they put food in their mouths

But I found out it's the Jap way of showing appreciation

Over polite until it's irritating

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the replies guys, was worried no one in Singapore cares about this.
Anyway, what I still don't get is why are we not embracing our heritage more in the media. Personally, I don't mind watching something in a foreign language as long as there are subtitles in it. Same with music, listening to HK artist sing in canton is totally different from hearing them sing in mandarin. Same with listening to hokkien songs. There is always that level of "intimacy" when you hear someone sing in their native tongue. Why is there no "movement" in Singapore to actually go back to their "roots" so to speak? Have we totally lost all our cultural heritage?

You must be very young. Otherwise, you should've known that Singapore government banned dialect programmes from TV broadcast 30 years ago. Before that we used to have on TV original undubbed Cantonese and Hokkien programmes from HK and Taiwan.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A question I have always asked but never got a satisfactory answer. Why CNA has Japan Hour and Korean hour yet there is no equivalent of a Hokkien or Cantonese hour? Are news/documentary made in Taiwan or Hong Kong that bad? I'm sure there are more people in Singapore that would appreciate listening to Hokkien or Cantonese versus Japanese/Korean. Most 2nd-3rd generation Singaporean has roots from southern china. Surely, the speak mandarin campaign is way over due and learning about your own dialect is not as bad as it seem. Anyone has any idea why PAPee is still enforcing this?

U want a SIN-gapore HOUR sponsored by the U-turn Chief & his U turn fighters?, by courtesy of an U supermarket?

Please lah!, don;t tempt them!...:rolleyes:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hahahahaha

I hate it when they do that... just like having orgasms whenever they put food in their mouths

But I found out it's the Jap way of showing appreciation

Over polite until it's irritating

I miss the original Japan Hour of the early 90s, which comprised 1/2hr NHK weekly news mag and 1/2hr Tsuiseki (追跡) variety show.

Korea Hour only came on air these recent years but I've never followed. I've never been to Korea and don't understand Korean at all anyway.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I miss the original Japan Hour of the early 90s, which comprised 1/2hr NHK weekly news mag and 1/2hr Tsuiseki (追跡) variety show.

Korea Hour only came on air these recent years but I've never followed. I've never been to Korea and don't understand Korean at all anyway.

And we really can't compare Korean Hour to Japan Hour. I find Korean culture really uncouth -- from their local cuisine (all octopus, kimchi, seaweed, turnip, raw egg, raw beef etc) to the way they speak.

The rise in Korean nationalism is the only reason why they are exporting their culture so much nowadays. Besides their football players, surgically modified beauties and LCD TVs, they aren't very interesting.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
And we really can't compare Korean Hour to Japan Hour. I find Korean culture really uncouth -- from their local cuisine (all octopus, kimchi, seaweed, turnip, raw egg, raw beef etc) to the way they speak.

The rise in Korean nationalism is the only reason why they are exporting their culture so much nowadays. Besides their football players, surgically modified beauties and LCD TVs, they aren't very interesting.

In ancient history, say more than 1,000 years ago, the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese were considered the civilised and cultured ones in East Asia. Through western advancements and encroachments, somehow only Japanese had taken the lead and retained their poise (some say guise). Chinese and Koreans simply let lose and run lose and become uncouth.

That said, the Japanese revealed an ugly side of themselves in victory, only to regain their civility through humility after defeat.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
In ancient history, say more than 1,000 years ago, the Chinese, Koreans and Japanese were considered the civilised and cultured ones in East Asia. Through western advancements and encroachments, somehow only Japanese had taken the lead and retained their poise (some say guise). Chinese and Koreans simply let lose and run lose and become uncouth.

That said, the Japanese revealed an ugly side of themselves in victory, only to regain their civility through humility after defeat.

I have to say the Korean civilisation is hardly sophisticated. They were just a tribe kingdom in the harsh mountains where human traffic was sparse. Their written script was only invented less than 100 years ago.

The Jap-Mainland China relationship has not always been rotten. The Japanese culture we know today was deeply influenced by the Tang Dynasty. Interestingly there are houses around Mount Fuji which display a "" tablet above the front door -- they are descendents from Qinshihuang's 100 virgins who were despatched to locate the elixir from the East.

I guess geography was one of the reason why Japanese culture can be so pure and refined. They had time to mature in isolation. They have always been inaccessible to outsiders until Americans "re-built" them post WW2.

Same raason why Old Man said we will have our own culture. Because sinkapore is too open to FTs

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
you mean you want those hokkien/taiwanese shows on cable to be on CNA? they're not any less boring ,unless you're an old auntie who speak no mandarin or a chow ah beng.

The Jap-Mainland China relationship has not always been rotten. The Japanese culture we know today was deeply influenced by the Tang Dynasty. Interestingly there are houses around Mount Fuji which display a "秦" tablet above the front door -- they are descendents from Qinshihuang's 100 virgins who were despatched to locate the elixir from the East.

that and half of their language ripped off chinese. funny the more savage koreans bothered to create a unique character set.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, I mean why are there no Hokkien, Canton shows on singapore television. It can be documentaries, news, tv drama etc. Channel 8 shows korean tv show with dual sound, one Mandarin, the other Korean. Why is it that when a TV show that is made in HK is shown this is not available? The point I wanted to ask is if Japanese, Korean tv program are shown with the option for Dual sound and subtitles why not Cantonese or Hokkien as well? Isn't it time that we move on from the "Speak Mandarin" policy and allow us to embrace our cultural heritage? I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this, but sometimes I really admire my Malaysian colleague, they are fluent in Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochews. Look at the typical chow ah beng, all they can do is swear a few words in Hokkien, ccb this knn that, and mix it with broken unintelligent english. "Why like this Lah" "I Hantum you then you know."

you mean you want those hokkien/taiwanese shows on cable to be on CNA? they're not any less boring ,unless you're an old auntie who speak no mandarin or a chow ah beng.

that and half of their language ripped off chinese. funny the more savage koreans bothered to create a unique character set.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Japan Hour and Korean Hour are sponsored by Japanese and Korean MNCs or corporations with big business links to Japan and Korea. Anyway, these are crap programs, especially Japan Hour. Every episode is about food and onsen, with aunties and uncles exclamating "oishii!" or "kimochi!" Yawnzzz...

Japan Hour is nice, at least before making it to CNA. The enthusiastic, funny narrator of Suiseki after the news rocks. Junko Toyoda is quite pretty (albeit a little bony) also.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal

Japan Hour is nice, at least before making it to CNA. The enthusiastic, funny narrator of Suiseki after the news rocks. Junko Toyoda is quite pretty (albeit a little bony) also.

I know, I don't mind having foreign language show on TV. What I want is more, including Taiwan mei mei, Hong Kong mei mei, French Mei mei, etc etc. :biggrin:

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Jap-Mainland China relationship has not always been rotten. The Japanese culture we know today was deeply influenced by the Tang Dynasty. Interestingly there are houses around Mount Fuji which display a "秦" tablet above the front door -- they are descendents from Qinshihuang's 100 virgins who were despatched to locate the elixir from the East.

Okinawa was once a vassal state of the Ming dynasty until they were conquered by a Japanese clan in the early 17th century.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I understand that the Korean Hangul is alphabet-based, i.e. separate symbols for vowels and consonants, and therefore has easy readability and could afford to do away with Chinese characters almost completely.

The Japanese Kana is syllable-based, i.e. symbols for sounds without separation of vowels and consonants, and therefore harder on readability if used exclusively without Chinese characters, and therefore Chinese characters have to be retained in the Japanese script.

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
No, I mean why are there no Hokkien, Canton shows on singapore television. It can be documentaries, news, tv drama etc. Channel 8 shows korean tv show with dual sound, one Mandarin, the other Korean. Why is it that when a TV show that is made in HK is shown this is not available? The point I wanted to ask is if Japanese, Korean tv program are shown with the option for Dual sound and subtitles why not Cantonese or Hokkien as well? Isn't it time that we move on from the "Speak Mandarin" policy and allow us to embrace our cultural heritage? I know I'm going to get bashed for saying this, but sometimes I really admire my Malaysian colleague, they are fluent in Mandarin, Hokkien, Cantonese, Hakka, Teochews. Look at the typical chow ah beng, all they can do is swear a few words in Hokkien, ccb this knn that, and mix it with broken unintelligent english. "Why like this Lah" "I Hantum you then you know."

i call bullshit. lee lao pay was rite about 1 thing. the bilingual system is a failure. most peeps will never be fluent in more than 1 language. most MYs are even more rojak n half-fuck with the languages they know. hahaha... except they didn't waste money formally learning that.

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
i call bullshit. lee lao pay was rite about 1 thing. the bilingual system is a failure. most peeps will never be fluent in more than 1 language. most MYs are even more rojak n half-fuck with the languages they know. hahaha... except they didn't waste money formally learning that.

?? what about name wee?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58JelEUXZ_Y

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/58JelEUXZ_Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/58JelEUXZ_Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>