• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

1,000 S'poreans give up citizenship each year

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal
At this stage I can only say, you don't want Singapore, but does Thailand want you?:p

Maybe you are right to say we have no righth to talk of their govt policy, when we are only a guest, but I wonder the day you get your thai citizenship, will you still continue to voice your disapproval of Singapore when you became a guest or will you start to rant on thai policies again. The cycle goes on. Just that this time its a different country:p

If I get my thai citizen and got back all my cpf $$$ then say.:rolleyes:

At least in thailand, I (if got my thai citizen)got to cast my vote in their election and not just a walkover like in sinkee election.:p

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least in thailand, I (if got my thai citizen)got to cast my vote in their election and not just a walkover like in sinkee election.:p

This part I do agree. Because not many opposition to challenge for the number of seats. But in Thailand, even if you get to vote in a "democratic" election, after a while, the military will overthrow the elected party. :biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To each their own. Since you have migrated to Thailand, its really good for you. But I do wonder why you are still so "overly concerned" with what's happening in Singapore. If you have chosen to embrace your new country, why still keep harping on issues of your old country. You really should move on. Life gets better this way than issues which keep complaining about.

SOme people who have totally migrated out and still come back to shit at Sinkieland because they are considerate and kind enough to tell other good SIngaporeans that there is a way out and they do not have to put up with their sinkie govt. They are a good example to follow.

If that is your argument, then why the hell you are here in this forum that is set up by an ex-singaporean who also shit at the sinkie govt and sg ass.

Not everyone is selfish but i do know that sinkie govt run the 640sqkm land with the idea that everyone is a coward and selfish ( in other words, a sinkie) similar to how china is run. I guess the sinkie govt is right about some people, but not all people.

The west do not view human being this way and that is why they are not that inferior enough to run their land this way.

Last edited:

88max

Alfrescian
Loyal
SOme people who have totally migrated out and still come back to shit at Sinkieland because they are considerate and kind enough to tell other good SIngaporeans that there is a way out and they do not have to put up with their sinkie govt. They are a good example to follow.

If that is your argument, then why the hell you are here in this forum that is set up by an ex-singaporean who also shit at the sinkie govt and sg ass.

Not everyone is selfish but i do know that sinkie govt run the 640sqkm land with the idea that everyone is a coward and selfish ( in other words, a sinkie) similar to how china is run. I guess the sinkie govt is right about some people, but not all people.

The west do not view human being this way and that is why they are not that inferior enough to run their land this way.

Yes!! Almost every forumers here know that sammy forum is always about anti sinkee govt, so does the boss himself (ex Singaporeon). You see 8 out of 10 threads here are all against the govt bad policy. Common s'pore folks are suffering, this is the only few places for us to voice out our disapproval.

There is even a 'suicide folder' in this forum specially for those suffering S'poreons to discuss their miserable life here & how to die. You see how pathetic the life in SG is making us.:mad:

Maybe he should try talking to them & feel their pains. Not everyone is like him, who can benefit from govt 'support the rich' policy.:p

If he want to sing praise and worship to govt, I think he come to the wrong forum. :rolleyes: That's why I said earlier on that he is singing the wrong tune here.:biggrin:

Even Leongsam has been encouraging those S'poreons to get their children out of SG. Very soon, those PRC are going to overtake SG. We'll have no place to stand in this country.

Last edited:

Industrious

I tend to believe people who want to emigrate to "less developed" countries want to stretch their dollars. Definitely cost of living is a factor. E.g. a bottle of shampoo in Thailand costs less than in S'pore becos 1) it's manufactured there 2) MNC's pricing policy (S'pore is "richer", so they can demand a higher price)

People who want to emigrate to "more developed" countries want the quality of life, work-family balance, political openness. Which you can get in less developed countries, but not the politi-economic stability.

Depends on what you value more... what say you?

I can't comment on your #1 but #2 was the reason i'd decided to leave SG with my family. The most compelling reason to leave was for our child's future. The edu system in SG is merely churning out 'replicas', nothing more(you get the drift heh).

Having said that, i didn't have high expectations(yes, im being realistic) of what my new host country have in place for immigrants like me. I don't believe the shit that if say you're a GM or Director level in SG, you'll be offered similar positions there. Those who think otherwise will surely be disappointed. Go with an open mind, screw the rat race(see those white mice on the S'pore Flyer?) and do what you like.

Last edited:

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
1,000 S'poreans give up citizenship each year

AN AVERAGE of about 1,000 Singapore gave up their citizenship each year in the last three years, said Home Affairs Minister Wong Kan Seng on Monday.

The reasons they renounced their Singapore citizenship ranged from marriage to foreigners to yearning for a different environment, he said in his written reply to a question from from Non-Constituency MP Sylvia Lim, who wanted to know how many Singaporeans had emigrated in the last three years.

Most of them took up new citizenship in countries in Southeast-Asia, the United States of America and Australia.

Mr Wong said Singaporeans who emigrate generally do not declare this to the Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) when they leave.

The only available data which gives an indication of the number of emigrants from Singapore is the number of Singaporeans who have given up their citizenship and left Singapore.

Mr Wong K S is totally clueless; he is oblivious of the fact that all males (head of each of family unit emigrating) would have to apply for a long term exit permit from MINDEF and the oft stated reason would be a PR status in a foreign land - that alone would be an indication of the number of emigrants leaving S'pore currently. I thought MINDEF records are linked online to all govt depts?

The number of renunciation of citizenship would indicate that more than 1000 per year have already emigrated about 3 to 5 years ago because that is the minimum required time of overseas residency to qualify for foreign citizenship applications.

With the ever changeable goalposts of CPF policy with regards to withdrawal restrictions , one would see more emigrating now and the results of even more renunciations would only become evident 3 to 5 years down the road.

twinseeker

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think, 1000 giving up citizenship is just a moderate figure. 1000 given up each year is most likely being controlled or restricted. I'm very sure the queue for returning the pink IC is made up of more than 1000 annually.

lsalsa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singapore should seriously consider dual citizenship so Singaporeans will get to keep both citizenships.

Yeah yeah yeah that would be awesome. I love that. But Singapore will not allow that because to keep a Singapore Citizenship is what the government wants because why? To keep Singapore as a brand identity.

Attachments

• ohiit_bottom_banner_for_links.jpg
    ohiit_bottom_banner_for_links.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 380

shadezz69

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah yeah yeah that would be awesome. I love that. But Singapore will not allow that because to keep a Singapore Citizenship is what the government wants because why? To keep Singapore as a brand identity.

Agree.... Dun think we can see this being materialised in our lifetime.

PaiAndPai

Alfrescian
Loyal
"The most compelling reason to leave was for our child's future. The edu system in SG is merely churning out 'replicas', nothing more(you get the drift heh)."

interesting take.. while true, many singaporeans overseas, ended thinking overseas education is a joke, too easy, and forcefeeding their children with assessment books shipped from singapore, china, attending hours after hours of after school and weekend tuitions because they want their child to "'TOP' the class"... and even "skip 2 levels".

so... who is actually pressuring the kids?

PaiAndPai

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I don't believe the shit that if say you're a GM or Director level in SG, you'll be offered similar positions there. Those who think otherwise will surely be disappointed. Go with an open mind, screw the rat race(see those white mice on the S'pore Flyer?) and do what you like."

good. you have started with the correct mindset. keep it that way. print it out, frame it and hang it up on your wall to remind you. 'cos many ended up in the work force... work their way up and found themselves stuck for one reason or the other and start complaining life is tough.

what's worse, i've a sinkie fresh grad, minimal sales experience in sg, expecting some aussie companies to offer her a manager post when she land... umm.... it is good to have ambition, but it is best to have a realistic ambition... trying to help correct her expectations, i tried to convince her to lower her expections... but... cocky as she is, i wished her 'good luck'.

busybee1688

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi bro,
You think? I agree it should be much higher.

My humble two cents.
Ya, it doesn't sense right. Should be thousands, 9000 also thousands. If 4k leave sink for OZ, i believe at least half will give up their citizenship every year for Oz itself, plus other countries...emm... funny figure right... Ok, let's say all are pretty well to do in OZ and not in hurry to surrend citizenship but at least will be 1000 out of 4000 will do so in OZ....+other countries definitely 1000 missed interpreted, should be thousands.

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya, it doesn't sense right. Should be thousands, 9000 also thousands. If 4k leave sink for OZ, i believe at least half will give up their citizenship every year for Oz itself, plus other countries...emm... funny figure right... Ok, let's say all are pretty well to do in OZ and not in hurry to surrend citizenship but at least will be 1000 out of 4000 will do so in OZ....+other countries definitely 1000 missed interpreted, should be thousands.

I believe is only 1000 give up citizenship. Why?

More than 1000 definitely leave the country. Probably more than 20000 every year. But why only 1000 give up citizenship is because those who left, many have not got their new citizenship thus cannot give up singapore citizenship. Many left but never give up because the new country they go to, is not yet so ready to embrace them as new citizens.

So want to give up also must see who wants to accept you. That is the problem

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe is only 1000 give up citizenship. Why?

More than 1000 definitely leave the country. Probably more than 20000 every year. But why only 1000 give up citizenship is because those who left, many have not got their new citizenship thus cannot give up singapore citizenship. Many left but never give up because the new country they go to, is not yet so ready to embrace them as new citizens.

So want to give up also must see who wants to accept you. That is the problem

There is a fine print in the renunciation form where it states that the SG govt may not accept your renunciation of SG citizenship.

You forgot that all NS defaulters applications for renunciation of S'pore citizenship are rejected outright even though they have attained foreign citizenship.

Ridler

Alfrescian
Loyal
The figure does not give a true indication.

Sinkie govt rejects many applications to give up sg citizenship also.

Industrious

"The most compelling reason to leave was for our child's future. The edu system in SG is merely churning out 'replicas', nothing more(you get the drift heh)."

interesting take.. while true, many singaporeans overseas, ended thinking overseas education is a joke, too easy, and forcefeeding their children with assessment books shipped from singapore, china, attending hours after hours of after school and weekend tuitions because they want their child to "'TOP' the class"... and even "skip 2 levels".

so... who is actually pressuring the kids?

Well, i can't comment on some parents who brought along their kiasu mindset along and imposing it on their kids. I(and my other half) for sure will not be one :cool:

Industrious

"I don't believe the shit that if say you're a GM or Director level in SG, you'll be offered similar positions there. Those who think otherwise will surely be disappointed. Go with an open mind, screw the rat race(see those white mice on the S'pore Flyer?) and do what you like."

good. you have started with the correct mindset. keep it that way. print it out, frame it and hang it up on your wall to remind you. 'cos many ended up in the work force... work their way up and found themselves stuck for one reason or the other and start complaining life is tough.

what's worse, i've a sinkie fresh grad, minimal sales experience in sg, expecting some aussie companies to offer her a manager post when she land... umm.... it is good to have ambition, but it is best to have a realistic ambition... trying to help correct her expectations, i tried to convince her to lower her expections... but... cocky as she is, i wished her 'good luck'.

One of the many positive things that happened in my life was ironically, was ironically, poverty. I grew up staying in a 1-room HDB rental flat and my grandma's kampung house. Life's real hard back then...till my NS. Well, i'm doing better now but I'm a realist. Seen too many of those whose pride goes before a fall.