• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Batok Seri

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last weekend, the Berita Minggu of SPH had its own feature of living in JB and they interviewed 4 Malay families.

http://cyberita.asia1.com.sg/mistimewa/story/0,6879,185843,00.html?
(Do by Google Chrome and then hit the "Translate to English" keys).

Summary is people did it for economic reasons with pro > con (daily commuting) and was a positive article with no crime. One of the ladies is a former primary school teacher who tutors her own kids after-school (who go to RGS ).

No mention of crime but slant of article was the long school commute will take its toll on children.

It was mentioned that the family leaves Majidee home by 5.15am to send their girl to RGPS first.

Many parents are willing to put up with long travel time to send kids to good school in Singapore.

For instance, RGPS girls who take school bus to get to school from Pasir Ris have to be ready for pickup as early as 5.20 am.

So this is not a problem unique to those who choose to live in JB.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
My apologies Investor.

I know you are:mad::mad::mad:

Hope the apology makes you :smile::smile::smile:

In fact i did not even mention it was you. So you should have not taken offence. But since you did i still apologize for having been insensitive to your 'harmless remarks'.

Moving on i am gonna ruffle some feathers now:

1) What you showed me at Puteri HArbour was a one-off. Does not happen everyday. If it did it would be consistently upgraded like Spores ferry terminals. Anyway the objective of the SSA is to promote Singapore as an attractive destination for the rich and famous as they wanna get a slice of the pie of the superyatch industry. (Which is expected to grow at 8 to 10% annually. the current value of all superyatchs in the world are estimated at $105 billion). So its objective is to make Spore attractive not bring them to Puteri Harbour.

2) Sentosa Cove residents being super rich would possibly like to explore other Harbours as well. Not just Puteri. So this wont happen in the long term. they would also wanna visit harbours/ferry terminals in and around indonesia apart from advancing into the waters further just for the fun of driving off to places further up and afar.

3) Since you got me to apologise i would also like to add that there was another remark on lambo, ferrari etc Let me tell you i traversed in and out of Malaysia several times this week but hardly gotta see any lambos/ferraris (even when i took Linkdua) today. Even when i used to regularly take Link dua earlier i could never see any of these nice cars. Ofcourse i see the occassional audi/spruced up Mercs and BMWs. But thats where it stops. I also traverse the N-S Hway regularly but hardly see these cars.

4) What i was trying to drive at was that for Iskandar to turn around based on a few lambo here and a few ferraris there... it will never happen. This is my opinion

5) What Iskandar needs is what Spore is doing now.... A critical mass of talent pool and a critical mass of population. Now obviously a critical mass of talent pool will never be reached unless salaries match Spore standards or atleast thereabouts. A critical mass of population (average joes like most Singaporeans like me are required to reside there and purchase their goods and services)

6) That is when the economy will boom, wages will rise, there will be a dearth of talent and thus an all round increase in the strength of the economy and its fundamentals.

7) For now you can point me to wikipedia/IM website and several others. But they are all talking about the same projects over and over again. The same words tipping points are being used all the time.

8) Now if the average joe gets a pay of Rm 1000 including commission you tell me how the economy will improve? Do you even think it will? How many high paying jobs abound? How many? I know I was pointed to a website but i could not find jobs with the kind of pay that will make businesses feel confident about the economic climate and sink their teeth into IM

9) Visit any mall in Spore. See how crowded it is. This is critical mass. Visit any store in IM. Chances are that most of the time the stores are with very few or no people inside unless they are low end stores.

This should give us a pretty decent idea (especially 9) that IMs economy is not on the upswing now. For an economy to upswing it takes a couple of years of govt intervention. In Spore post SARS crisis the govt took several measures which no doubt increased cost of living but also resulted in an all round robust growth of the economy for a country with hardly any resources.

This was the original discussion when you pointed about Puteri HArbour. Whether you were being harmless in your opinion or you were forcefully making your idea is for all to see.

But still i bow down to your harmless remarks since you consider them rude and therefore i ought to apologise.

I hope you practice what you preach and let others share their views instead of "Laughing Your Ass Off" somebody's harmless opinion. That was pure rudeness! Where's your manners?

Last edited:

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Very difficult sia.

If i choose to move to JB i will possibly buy a unit (G&G) from a decent developer pretty close to Causeway and find a good chinese school in Spore not too far from the Causeway.

I really cant do the to and fro if the school is far everyday.
I salute those parents who do.

Many parents are willing to put up with long travel time to send kids to good school in Singapore.

So this is not a problem unique to those who choose to live in JB.

Avonup

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,
I've have been reading this blog and find it to be very interesting and informative. Many here are really very helpful, willing to share and it a meaning community.

I wonder if anyone could help to provide information on MM2H. I am aware of the pre-requisites. Somehow I am not too sure on how go about applying. Is there any reliable agent and what is the fee? Appreciate, if someone with experience could help. Thank you.

Avonup

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi,

I would like to know more about MM2H. I am aware of the pre-requisites but not very sure on how to go about applying. Is it easy to apply on your own or is there any reliable agent and what are the charges. Thanks you.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Wuqi really nice to hear from you again. :smile::smile::smile::smile:
Welcome back.

You would have known by now that you have helped me a fair bit in getting accustomed to JB and helping me source for things as well.

So obviously i would not wanna hurt you.

Sometimes in the midst of a thick debate comments flow thick and fast causing heartburn amonst forummers. We mean no malice to anyone. Recently i ended up annoying Investor. Bro Investor my apologies to you. I should not have been rude. Yes it was rude.

And you Wuqi you have given me so much info, why would i wanna piss you off ?

But like i said when we are debating we may sound getting at each others nerves but i am sure most of us here are not like that.

And that is why you hardly see any flaming.

Very nice thread lots of information.

Occassionally we may cross the OB marker (like i did with investor) and its then for the affected forummer to decide to forgive/otherwise.

Wuqi i look forward to more help from you.

Hi Prof, thanks for sharing about the Thistle hotel. I have never
stayed there but it sounds like a good place though.

I finally had some time for myself this week, i checked through the crime thing
and i definitely owe you an apology, i got mixed up with another forummer comments.
Again my apologies.

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Professor,
I have no further argument on your views. It is stated in your profile that your interest is to "Raise, analyse and debate issues". Unlike you, I'm just here to share my views and to learn from others. Thanks for making me :smile::smile::smile: I appreciate that. Have a great Sunday.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the moment i think Celcom and Maxis provide the most stable and reliable service in IM.

Digi signals are not available at all locations. Today i was at Eminent Massage in the toilet and realise there was no Digi signal.

Also noticed certain parts of N-S hiway no digi signal.

For prepaid internet i suggest Hotlink. Expensive but very fast. My wife loves it.

For prepaid mobile services i use Digi for the moment (previously i was on Maxis).
I changed to Digi cause its real cheap.
Once you spend Rm 1 per day either for text/call/international call your charges drop:
12sen to any network voice/video call per min
1sen per text to any network

Cant get cheaper than that at the moment i guess.

And i activated superlong life by paying Rm 30 per sim. So now the money topped up does not expire in 30 days etc.

All top ups stored for the validitly period of the sim after super long life activation.

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
the website not updated.
tomorrow i go and ask the developer about that before i proceed.
u seems don't like NI a lot...:smile:

House,

I did a little eye-ball check on Nusa Idaman Phase 5 to Phase 6B and this is what i found. The present state is:
- Phase 5 - not fenced up
- Phase 6A - fenced up
- Phase 6B - not fenced up

According to my wife, the reason they did not fence up was for easy access to construction work. It seems the cement pavement surrounding the perimeter of Phase 5 was completed only recently. They have also just installed some stone dustbins, seats, etc. It looks like they will be fencing up the place real soon since the perimeter pavement is now done. My suspicion is also, Phase 6A could have been sold out earlier than Phase 5, hence the readiness of Phase 6A compared to Phase 5.

Phase 6B looks even less ready. But all 3 precint have their guard post. I tried to sneak into Phase 6B as i walked my dog, but the guards were quick to appear.

On the whole i think UEM might have taken things a little bit easy as they probably never thought it could be a problem to do the perimeter fencing that late. Otherwise the whole place looks ok to me. I guess they need a bit of push.

Do share what you found out from the developer over the weekend.

Last edited:

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Professor,
I have no further argument on your views. It is stated in your profile that your interest is to "Raise, analyse and debate issues". Unlike you, I'm just here to share my views and to learn from others. Thanks for making me :smile::smile::smile: I appreciate that. Have a great Sunday.

Investor bro
I've seen the plump guy in the first pic at Puteri Harbour before, he seems to be a regular there. What do you think of the condo "Imperia" at the harbour?
I found out over the weekend the launch has been delayed to August. They took whole lot of registration last year "pre launch", but this year they totally changed
the plan. The 3 BR used to be 1690 sft, but it is now 1997 sft minimum, and the larger 3 BR is about 2400 sft. The psf price seems to have been dropped to about 500 psf.
In other words, although it was almost fully booked last year, the bookings now have little relevance since sizes have changed. You can re-register to be in the loop.

Last edited:

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi AP,

Could you kindly expand on what 'G&G' and 'IM' :confused: Would appreciate it. Thanks.

Very difficult sia.

If i choose to move to JB i will possibly buy a unit (G&G) from a decent developer pretty close to Causeway and find a good chinese school in Spore not too far from the Causeway.

I really cant do the to and fro if the school is far everyday.
I salute those parents who do.

At the moment i think Celcom and Maxis provide the most stable and reliable service in IM.

Digi signals are not available at all locations. Today i was at Eminent Massage in the toilet and realise there was no Digi signal.

Also noticed certain parts of N-S hiway no digi signal.

For prepaid internet i suggest Hotlink. Expensive but very fast. My wife loves it.

For prepaid mobile services i use Digi for the moment (previously i was on Maxis).
I changed to Digi cause its real cheap.
Once you spend Rm 1 per day either for text/call/international call your charges drop:
12sen to any network voice/video call per min
1sen per text to any network

Cant get cheaper than that at the moment i guess.

And i activated superlong life by paying Rm 30 per sim. So now the money topped up does not expire in 30 days etc.

All top ups stored for the validitly period of the sim after super long life activation.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Cheers Prof.

Went to Nusa Duta with a friend of mine today, he is putting down for a home here. I am glad for him as his family deserves the happiness he is giving to them.

Went to Scienxxx place today(near Nusa Bestari), its kind of in the middle of nowhere and the design is quite bad although 2 pluses it has, one is it has 3 storeys, 2 is that the second and third floor all have balconys. To be fair, its the design of the showflat that was bad. One particular bad part was that one of the shower area had no raise floor or no sunk in areas.

We also went again to the D'Grande place and had a look at the Link Bungalows (880k) and Orion Bungalow (over 1m) Design for both is not so good but at least the Orion one made more sense. The Link Bungalow although sounds big but internally is really small, it has such a wide staircase and a very low (headroom) store.

There isn't even a family area on the 2nd floor but i guess its because the concept is different. Setia showroom was pretty packed with some cars abound. Their clusters, to be launched soon is about 800k though so its pretty pricey as compared to Nusa Duta which is still at 519-544k.
(The 800 dollars at the back, you can shave off)
Might not work for everyone but one can at least try. As my learned boss once said, if one never asks, one never gets. :wink:

The newly launched units at The Hills starts from around 729k, up from the original expected start of 680k.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hi AP,

Could you kindly expand on what 'G&G' and 'IM' :confused: Would appreciate it. Thanks.

G&G = Gated & Guarded. IM = Not sure, Iskandar, Malaysia? Need Prof to enlighten.

I went to Eminent as well, they have a new service with moxibustion done with glass bottles on the soles of the feet. They also have a new fetch and massage service where they come to your place to fetch you to their place for massage.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Wow, ok, so people really did do it then. Hats off to them but this may be a once off thing.

6th of May, Wednesday, 10am saw a group of us from SSA(SuperYacth Singapore) departing from OneDegree15 Marina(Sentosa Cove) to Puteri Harbour at Nusajaya.
http://www.superyacht.sg/galleries/121-ssa-cariad-puteri-harbour

Photos of SuperYacths in Sentosa Cove:
http://www.superyacht.sg/galleries/154-2009-12-superyacht-month

Founding members of SuperYacth Singapore:
http://www.superyacht.sg/members/founding-members

house

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi lemans bro,

as i know.... phase 5 havent complete as the phase 5c will only be complete end of the yr.
phase 6A already issue key to owner thats why fenced up.
phase 6B... i dont know.

NI didn't launch the house according to phase ... for example - phase 8 is launched last yr but phase 7 just going to be launch....

NI phase 8 have access card for security.... for the other phase, i guess they have to press harder for it. its almost an essential for the access card system now. developer definitely have to do something on this to attract new buyer....

new buyer at NI should request UEM to provide that access card systems as put up by the committee at phase 3.

I am looking forward to move over there soon....:biggrin:

House,

I did a little eye-ball check on Nusa Idaman Phase 5 to Phase 6B and this is what i found. The present state is:
- Phase 5 - not fenced up
- Phase 6A - fenced up
- Phase 6B - not fenced up

According to my wife, the reason they did not fence up was for easy access to construction work. It seems the cement pavement surrounding the perimeter of Phase 5 was completed only recently. They have also just installed some stone dustbins, seats, etc. It looks like they will be fencing up the place real soon since the perimeter pavement is now done. My suspicion is also, Phase 6A could have been sold out earlier than Phase 5, hence the readiness of Phase 6A compared to Phase 5.

Phase 6B looks even less ready. But all 3 precint have their guard post. I tried to sneak into Phase 6B as i walked my dog, but the guards were quick to appear.

On the whole i think UEM might have taken things a little bit easy as they probably never thought it could be a problem to do the perimeter fencing that late. Otherwise the whole place looks ok to me. I guess they need a bit of push.

Do share what you found out from the developer over the weekend.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Prof, my 2 cents inline:

3) Since you got me to apologise i would also like to add that there was another remark on lambo, ferrari etc Let me tell you i traversed in and out of Malaysia several times this week but hardly gotta see any lambos/ferraris (even when i took Linkdua) today. Even when i used to regularly take Link dua earlier i could never see any of these nice cars. Ofcourse i see the occassional audi/spruced up Mercs and BMWs. But thats where it stops. I also traverse the N-S Hway regularly but hardly see these cars.

I see good cars pretty regularly here and i mean the really good ones. Agree that this won't change things significantly though
4) What i was trying to drive at was that for Iskandar to turn around based on a few lambo here and a few ferraris there... it will never happen. This is my opinion

Agreed, it is a surprise though that they are really starting to come in, i have passed G&G estates (brought in to view houses) where more than 6 houses had good (not just B&W or Merc) type. I actually see these cars quite regularly for some reason, maybe just the right timing. :smile:

5) What Iskandar needs is what Spore is doing now.... A critical mass of talent pool and a critical mass of population. Now obviously a critical mass of talent pool will never be reached unless salaries match Spore standards or atleast thereabouts. A critical mass of population (average joes like most Singaporeans like me are required to reside there and purchase their goods and services)

The salary is a part of it, that is very true. The way i see it, it is only a part though, people from out of the state will have to form the nuclei of any initiative with the government forming the backbone of support. They are trying to do exactly that, by attracting people to set up companies and businesses here. (I just learnt recently that a business can be set up quite easily here, company wise is more complicated)
More and more people are starting to build businesses here especially in certain parts here, i saw how quickly shoplots were taken up as well as even the newly launched ones.

There are basically 4 groups of people who will help to support:
1. Foreigners who have or starting businesses here
2. The influx of foreign investment, Japanese, etc (shall not mention too much as i was requested) in key projects that has multi-government stakes in.
3. Government linked officials who have vested interest to promote investment and the new location of several key government infrastructure and projects
4. Internal Malaysia folks local and from KL who are investing in shops and houses here currently and also creating more jobs. I went to a few launches of shops recently, most were sold out and to my surprise, it wasn't just Singaporeans buying.

6) That is when the economy will boom, wages will rise, there will be a dearth of talent and thus an all round increase in the strength of the economy and its fundamentals.

Its by no means a boom town now or even 3-6 months from now but things are clearly falling in place, with the political climate stabilizing slowly and barring major incidents, we will know for sure in 2 years time. Whether it is sustainable or not can be argued but we know that they are serious this time about doing something.

7) For now you can point me to wikipedia/IM website and several others. But they are all talking about the same projects over and over again. The same words tipping points are being used all the time.

There are new projects, projects without involvment of foreign governments may falter but at least those related to infrastructure are getting into shape. The ones that have foreign government vested interests will likely to suceed and there are enough of these that more big government firms are going over here.

8) Now if the average joe gets a pay of Rm 1000 including commission you tell me how the economy will improve? Do you even think it will? How many high paying jobs abound? How many? I know I was pointed to a website but i could not find jobs with the kind of pay that will make businesses feel confident about the economic climate and sink their teeth into IM

There was one website i sent previously(not sure if you are referring to the same), the pay scale is much higher than the normal rate. The title and responsibilities are also very much different. There are hiring that are already going on much quicker than we realise. Things will still take their time to take shape.

9) Visit any mall in Spore. See how crowded it is. This is critical mass. Visit any store in IM. Chances are that most of the time the stores are with very few or no people inside unless they are low end stores.

This is very true but it is also because they have more land/space and are spread out much more.
How many Giants do you know are there in Singapore? I can go to at least 5 here. Carrfour, they have lesser, only a couple but Tesco, i can easily hit quite a few in a single day. Because their people go to SG to work on the weekdays, during the daytime, you see fewer people. Even on weekends, you may not see the crowd, thats because some are shopping in SG. I have neighbours who drive their cars to SG at certain times of night to SG, to casinos or to buy another branded bag.

I see people shopping until 1am at Tescos on Friday & Saturday nights and people at Giant until 12am on Saturday night (Sunday morning) but again, because there is so many malls around, you won't see that much people due to the sprawl. Things will be slightly different in a few years time as some developers are going to develop more commercial projects geared towards business. They won't throw good money if they were not confident. It used to be such a pain to find higher end items here for cars, IT stuff, its starting to be much easier now.

Visit the Jusco on the weekends at Tebrau city and you will see that things are busier there. This is as its a perceived high end area and the well heeled visit the Jusco there. Even Timberland is there. Speaking of which(they do have pretty nice (higher end) car accessories there at this Jusco)

Last edited:

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All,
Been following the thread since the early days in 2009 & in fact had purchased a terrace in Setia Eco garden & collected the keys early this year.
For me, intend to have the place done up as a weekend home instead of staying in it as I have a boy in preschool.

One of the main reasons I took the plunge to buy the property was to leave some memories for my boy when he grows up..
In sinkieland, there is always constant renewal and the landscape where we used to live are replaced with new buildings/infrastructure..

With this property I hope to provide some childhood memories for my boy in time to come..
At least it also provides something I can leave for future generations as everything in Sinkie is on lease.. (HDB, cars etc)

Yup, Cathy is right in the sense that my initial visit to JB property was with the setia office in habourfront, we were suppose to visit setia tropica but somehow there was some mixed up & was brought to eco gardens instead.. the rest is history after i convinced wifey...

So now is the renovation phase & hope it can be done up prior Q3..

Cheers

hope everything goes smoothly for you as you make the transition. tell us more about setia eco living there etc if you could when the time comes. =)

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dude but definitely not needle people. Thats not my style. Though i was rude to you. Sorry again. I have to be more careful next time. I just did not realise i was being rude. But now that you have pointed it out, its good cause i will be more careful next time. I really think its good you whacked me there.

Yeah i love to raise issues.... any issues.... issues which some may think are non important while others may think are very important. So i like to raise them, learn from peoples analysis and add my 0.5c worth which sometimes is annoying. I agree.

Bear with me. No malice to anyone out here.

Hi Professor,

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wuqi your right with regards to both abbreviations.

I was at Eminent yesterday and today. I must agree that their service is pretty good. Thanks Wuqi for introducing this place to me.

I just get irritated when they try to push extras to me. I tried a couple of the extras but found them ineffective like the herbal powder they use to soak your feet, the plant oil etc.

Another thing i din like but i bought was the foot scrapping service. Actually it was silly of me to take it cause my feet are actually quite nice.

Pretty wasted!

I agree with you regarding the cupping for the feet. I saw an elderly man (husband of the woman who ranted about making a loss at Bukit Indah) doing it.

They are quite innovative in terms of service and good at service as well.

I took my daughter who is 7 years of age there and she got hooked onto the foot reflex. Asked me to bring her there again today. So yesterday i ended up spending Rm 180 and today Rm 100 (approx)

The counter girl asked me to sign up the membership card cause she now recognises me pretty well and told me that i can get rm 50 off for a membership of rm 300.

G&G = Gated & Guarded. IM = Not sure, Iskandar, Malaysia? Need Prof to enlighten.

I went to Eminent as well, they have a new service with moxibustion done with glass bottles on the soles of the feet. They also have a new fetch and massage service where they come to your place to fetch you to their place for massage.

Analytical Professor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Congratulations avalon74.

Thank you for having followed this thread and once again we thank Wuqi for having spent a considerable amount of his spare time to keep this thread active, relevant and hot.

I am at Setia Tropika. Care to share with us your Setia Eco Garden experience?

How is the place? ST design or different? Got shops inside/around it etc?

welcome again.

Hi All,
Been following the thread since the early days in 2009 & in fact had purchased a terrace in Setia Eco garden & collected the keys early this year.
For me, intend to have the place done up as a weekend home instead of staying in it as I have a boy in preschool.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.