• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am about to start shifting in 2 weeks time to HH, excited yet nervous at the same time :smile:

Have gone through the various posts here but would like to confirm the most stable internet line (no mobile 3G but a fixed line) with average speeds of say 3Mbps and no download quota (if possible)? I don't think Unifi is available at HH yet correct?

Looking forward to joining the community there!

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
2bfree i'm excited for you too. hope to hear your updates after the shift, etc.

on the topic of unifi, any of you had any experience to report of (I guess EL/LF folks mostly)? I wonder if I can get m1 mbb signal @ LF since wuqi bro mentioned he can get it @ HH. hmmmm. I realize I can do without TV or radio etc but I'll suffer horrible withdrawal syndrome without a solid internet connection! haha.

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
The hsbb (unifi) is really reliable at LF, I am using the 5mbps plan which is good enough for me. The wifi router that comes with it may not be as reliable but u can just add another wifi router to one of it's port to make it work, perfectly.

No u can't receive any SG telco services at LF.

Welcome to LF.

Cheers

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Guys, back, was really worked to almost death last week.

Hi Prof, thanks for sharing about the Thistle hotel. I have never
stayed there but it sounds like a good place though.

I finally had some time for myself this week, i checked through the crime thing
and i definitely owe you an apology, i got mixed up with another forummer comments.
Again my apologies.

Nusa Duta is actually quite good, i am happy for you, remind them
to give you your goody bag. I think the draw for the 2 Toyota Vios
is in May. I wish you will win one. :smile:

Hi Cathy, the water filter is actually quite necessary BUT I do
one thing, rather than have those big types of tank filters which
filters all water going into the house including for some, the water
that they use to water plants, flush toilets.

I use Osim for the water taps at home so that we will only use filtered
water for drinking and not for washing clothes/dishes, rinsing glasses, etc.

Actually come to think of it, i just brought the same Osim filteration devices
over here and changed the filters regularly so i didn't incur any additional costs.

(I had filters in SG for the tap water to cut out the florinated/chlorinated stuff)

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Guys, i can actually use M1 quite reliably here but i shall not post often about M1 as i noticed that the last time i shared here, it went off for a week. Luckily i was able to use one of my other place (also in HH) where reception was still ok. I use my data plan here as well. :smile:

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
I am about to start shifting in 2 weeks time to HH, excited yet nervous at the same time :smile:

Have gone through the various posts here but would like to confirm the most stable internet line (no mobile 3G but a fixed line) with average speeds of say 3Mbps and no download quota (if possible)? I don't think Unifi is available at HH yet correct?

Looking forward to joining the community there!

Congrats 2bfree, its good to hear you are joining us. No unifi at HH yet but you can use Celcom (quite ok) and Streamyx as well. Don't use Maxxis if you can as they will charge you if you use too much data. Celcom will just throttle your bandwidth but at least they don't overcharge.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
The electricity bills seem low for a house. We are contemplating whether to install ceiling fans or just use air cons. Has anyone ponder over this and arrive at one decision or the other?

Wow, my electrical bills are like 200 plus to 300 RM only monthly, this is for a semi-d. Ceiling fans are actually good mostly, use the 3 bladed ones though as though they are slightly noiser, they actually give quite good ventilation. Aircon wise, you can get the cheaper brands like Haier or Midea that has 2 years support and pretty cheap. Yes i pondered and in the end got both. Aircon for when its really unbearable and fans for general ventilation.

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Hey gin, thanks for the warm welcome , yeah i find the Duta estate to be very nice, clean n to a certain extent chic, i feel that its good as it will pave the way for other future new developments to follow the trend and set new benchmark, slowly but surely changing the johor property landscape.

Just curious which house model did u buy? and at what price if i may ask (can pm me if u feel more comfortable doing so) cos i do find the new cluster for sale there to be rather pricey, all conveniently priced slightly above the 500k mark...obviously targeting sporean buyers

Hi GP, welcome! :smile:
It is pretty nice, cheapest one is 519,800k if i remember correctly. (remember, if nothing else, the 800 at the back can often be bargained down :wink: )

The new clusters are pricier than the earlier batches BUT you can still ask around in case they have owners who gave up because of upgrading, etc and get a good deal. Thats what i learnt when i went with my relatives for house hunting recently.

The prata at the prata shop just outside (Habib) is nice but the Nasi Brani is.......slurps

2bFree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi euphony and wuqi256,

Thanks for the welcome!

Will check out Streamyx. Like bro euphony, can't live without a good internet connection! :P

Realize there are couple of things I need to sort out:
1. Water filter
2. Refrigerator (Looking at Panasonic)
3. MY credit card (probably MayBank)
4. Hydraulic car jack (DIY car maintenance :smile:)
etc.

Congrats 2bfree, its good to hear you are joining us. No unifi at HH yet but you can use Celcom (quite ok) and Streamyx as well. Don't use Maxxis if you can as they will charge you if you use too much data. Celcom will just throttle your bandwidth but at least they don't overcharge.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
The hsbb (unifi) is really reliable at LF, I am using the 5mbps plan which is good enough for me. The wifi router that comes with it may not be as reliable but u can just add another wifi router to one of it's port to make it work, perfectly.

No u can't receive any SG telco services at LF.

Welcome to LF.

Cheers

thanks for the info 29ers. This is actually what I am doing on P1 as well coincidentally 'cept there's no coverage there for now. thanks for the welcome =) whereabouts are you in LF? Will be in bwv for me.

euphony

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guys, i can actually use M1 quite reliably here but i shall not post often about M1 as i noticed that the last time i shared here, it went off for a week. Luckily i was able to use one of my other place (also in HH) where reception was still ok. I use my data plan here as well. :smile:

take care of yourself! to employers we're all dispensable but not to ourselves. Perhaps you're in the hills higher grounds can tap into the network. I won't have that luck i guess. =(

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maintenance fees for Semi-D's is Rm150 and Bungalows is Rm300. Not sure about terrace and links. Maybe one of the fellow forummers can help on this.

Just for reference, our maintenance fees here cost like 100 plus at HH.

The Samsung digital shop is located at:
Jalan Mutiara Emas, Mount Austin
Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Not affliated with them but pretty impressed, they have many branches
but i like this boss at this place. He will straightaway give you a discount
without you asking but he dislikes haggling so i try not to haggle when
i talk to him.

Last edited:

29ers

Alfrescian
Loyal
thanks for the info 29ers. This is actually what I am doing on P1 as well coincidentally 'cept there's no coverage there for now. thanks for the welcome =) whereabouts are you in LF? Will be in bwv for me.

I am at BWV too. Pm me if u need more info, will be more then happy to answer ur ?s.

Cheers

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi friends,

In order to live in JB, it is also important to understand the Malay culture. In Malaysia, a Malay must be Muslim. And this is where the sensitivities arise and we need to know in order to avoid hurting feelings unknowingly. Pigs and dogs are considered unclean animals. Former cannot be eaten while the latter cannot be touched when wet. So say if a dog licks a Muslim, he/she has to perform some ceremony to cleanse. Thus you can understand that walking dogs in public is not common in public spaces. Exceptions are police sniffing dogs that are doing a 'greater good'.

As for tudungs, it is recommended by the culture to avoid arousing unwanted attention from hair attraction. There is a safety element in it for the ladies. In many part of the Middle East (not all, eg. Dubai), it is even more extreme. At least in Malaysia, colours are prevalent and Muslim ladies can also opt to not wear tudung and will not be breaking any law.

Bikini is for sure not in the Muslim culture. But I do agree that this is where the Iskandar authorities themselves struggle in their vision in wanting to be more westernised. I am sure many of them are themselves western-educated esp in UK (the traditional destination for higher education in the land of the former colonial masters).

All said, we need to appreciate the Malays in particular and Malaysians in general as they are very tolerant, gracious and hospitable people. You can see that yourself from the fact that bah kut teh shops exists.

(As for drinking water, the typical Malaysian home boil their water with the large kettles. Water Filter is mostly to filter larger impurities from aged pipes underground (being green sites, Nusajaya may not have this issue). Then boiling the filtered water kills the unseen germs that may not have been killed off by the chlorine. Definitely tap water quality far from Singapore's. I share this only for us to understand personal options).

I am not a Muslim so if I am not accurate in my understanding, do tell me. Point is lets understand each other to avoid stress in this forum and more importantly avoid unnecessary offensiveness in real life in JB.

Happy weekend! :smile: I am dreaming of those Ramly burgers, yummy...

contra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Last weekend, the Berita Minggu of SPH had its own feature of living in JB and they interviewed 4 Malay families.

http://cyberita.asia1.com.sg/mistimewa/story/0,6879,185843,00.html?
(Do by Google Chrome and then hit the "Translate to English" keys).

Summary is people did it for economic reasons with pro > con (daily commuting) and was a positive article with no crime. One of the ladies is a former primary school teacher who tutors her own kids after-school (who go to RGS ).

avalon74

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi All,
Been following the thread since the early days in 2009 & in fact had purchased a terrace in Setia Eco garden & collected the keys early this year.
For me, intend to have the place done up as a weekend home instead of staying in it as I have a boy in preschool.

One of the main reasons I took the plunge to buy the property was to leave some memories for my boy when he grows up..
In sinkieland, there is always constant renewal and the landscape where we used to live are replaced with new buildings/infrastructure..

With this property I hope to provide some childhood memories for my boy in time to come..
At least it also provides something I can leave for future generations as everything in Sinkie is on lease.. (HDB, cars etc)

Yup, Cathy is right in the sense that my initial visit to JB property was with the setia office in habourfront, we were suppose to visit setia tropica but somehow there was some mixed up & was brought to eco gardens instead.. the rest is history after i convinced wifey...

So now is the renovation phase & hope it can be done up prior Q3..

Cheers

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But there was a bro who mentioned that someone living in Sentosa Cove would take a yatch to Puteri Harbour.

I just could not stop LMAO off..

6th of May, Wednesday, 10am saw a group of us from SSA(SuperYacth Singapore) departing from OneDegree15 Marina(Sentosa Cove) to Puteri Harbour at Nusajaya.
http://www.superyacht.sg/galleries/121-ssa-cariad-puteri-harbour

Photos of SuperYacths in Sentosa Cove:
http://www.superyacht.sg/galleries/154-2009-12-superyacht-month

Founding members of SuperYacth Singapore:
http://www.superyacht.sg/members/founding-members

Investor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Please feel free to share your views.

Everyone is entitled to their views and opinions.

Lets have a healthy discussion.

Knowledge to all and offence to none:smile::smile:

But there was a bro who mentioned that someone living in Sentosa Cove would take a yatch to Puteri Harbour.

I just could not stop LMAO off..

I hope you practice what you preach and let others share their views instead of "Laughing Your Ass Off" somebody's harmless opinion. That was pure rudeness! Where's your manners?

Status
Not open for further replies.