• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Many Indias in Singapore

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Feel sad for our local Indians !!!</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Aug-11 11:59 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>Spearmint000 (Spearmint888) <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (6 of 17) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>18838.6 in reply to 18838.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>Here, even this Indian writer from India noticed the divide between our local Indian bros and the "expat" Indians...

http://www.hindu.com/mag/2008/03/16/stories/2008031650050300.htm

THE SHASHI THAROOR COLUMN
Many Indias in Singapore

The economic boom at home is changing the way in which Indians abroad relate to each other.
I was in Singapore recently to give a few talks and do some book readings at the India Se-India Club Literary Salon, the first literary platform in the South-East Asian region for South Asian writers, sponsored by a new magazine th at aims at NRIs. When I first lived in Singapore as a young U.N. official 27 years ago, the country would not have seemed very likely to offer a plausible platform for an Indian writer. There was no literary forum in Singapore of any kind in those days, let alone one devoted to subcontinental writing — even though Singapore was far ahead of other South-East Asian countries in this respect (at least one could read about such writers in the Straits Times’ cultural section!). The existence of an NRI-focused magazine is equally remarkable. I doubt that the Indians in Singapore those days would have particularly wanted to advertise their Indianness. We were still seen as a country mired in despair and disrepair, the whole concept of NRIs was yet to be born, and Indians in Singapore largely turned their backs on their homeland. A magazine like India Se reflects a new pride in India that was largely absent in those days.
Changing equations

A decade ago, in my book India: from Midnight to the Millennium, I had asked whether “NRI” should stand for “Not Really Indian” or “Never Relinquished India” — because there’s a little bit of both in all of us Indians who live abroad. But today they have also become the “Now Required Indians”, actively sought after by the mother country for their expertise, resources and initiative. And because India itself is advancing and winning a great deal of attention from so many countries — including Singapore and other lands in the region — these “global Indians” are basking in some of their homeland’s reflected glory as well. This phenomenon is changing a great deal about the way in which Indians abroad relate to each other and to their new countries.

This leads to some intriguing challenges. For instance, unlike in Singapore, the majority of Indians in the U.S. (though by no means all) are educated, well-off and professionally successful. Today, the ethnic group in the U.S. with the highest median income is not white Americans, but Indian Americans. In Singapore the story is a little different, since there is a large Indian population that has been settled there for several decades, a majority of whom came from more humble backgrounds, mainly from the Tamil working class. Of course there are many first-rate professionals from that community as well, but they are by no means the majority. By contrast, the NRIs — many prefer to call themselves “global Indians” — who have moved to Singapore from India in more recent years are all educated professionals (they are the only ones who would get long-term visas). They have been slow to identify themselves with the local Indians, especially if they do not relate to Tamil language and customs — but people of other ethnic groups in Singapore all see them lumped together, as one undifferentiated group of “Indians”. This results in some confusion about what “Indians” are like, a confusion compounded by simple matters of cultural preference. For instance, “fish head curry” is considered the pre-eminent Indian dish in Singapore, which astonishes those Indians who routinely discard the fish heads at the market. And many non-Tamil NRIs look blankly astonished when felicitated on the occasion of Thaipusam, the biggest Singaporean Tamil festival.

The divide

I was struck, during my one-week visit to Singapore, by the frequent references my friends made to the existence of an expatriate Indian-local Indian divide. There seems to be little mixing between the two groups — Indians from India still see themselves essentially as expatriates and have few friendships with local Singaporean Indians, other than the affluent elite amongst the latter. This is a particularly Singaporean problem with few parallels elsewhere, because other countries with long-established Indian populations, like Fiji, Mauritius or Guyana, do not also have a significant “new” Indian expatriate community. Because the expatriate community is large enough to be socially self-sustaining, there seems to be little social contact with the “locals”. The key to a solution may lie in the expatriates ceasing to be expatriate and making Singapore their permanent home, at which point certain common elements may well come to the fore. But I wouldn’t necessarily bet on it.

What is particularly striking about this is that Singapore is perhaps the country with the greatest affinity for, and interest in, contemporary India. I had the privilege of lunching with the President of the Republic, S.R. Nathan, an old friend — and an ethnic Tamil who has been a frequent visitor to his ancestral land. An hour spent with Singapore’s Foreign Minister, George Yeo, was astonishing for the depth of his knowledge about our country, his command of detail (including about specific places and individuals) and the sophistication of his insight into, and curiosity about, our politics. Another hour in the company of the brilliant Finance Minister, Tharman Shanmugaratnam, convinced me both of the excellence of the island State’s top-notch leadership and of the seriousness of their interest in India’s future. I doubt there is a government anywhere in the world that takes the trouble to understand India the way Singapore does. All that remains is for the two sets of Indians in Singapore to understand each other better.

[email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kensington

Alfrescian
Loyal
Replace the word Indian with Chinese you will get similar stories!

Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai.....:p:p

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5eqWz0uiLP0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5eqWz0uiLP0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Stage 5

Alfrescian
Loyal
India is the most racist cuntry in the world.

The Ah Nei FTs here are trying to bring the CASTE SYSTEM to Singapore. :oIo:

This is not a joke!

Already our public transport becoming like New Delhi!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z2173dTHot8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z2173dTHot8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

limpeh2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Replace the word Indian with Chinese you will get similar stories!

The major difference b/w kelings & Chinese is that the Chinese've modernised with ingenuity & resourcefulness. Kelings never progressed beyond perpetual socioeconomic parasitism & the 'caste' system. Kelings spend all their lives fantasizing abt the epic rapes of their conquered ancestors by Alexander the great to produce their much worshipped "light skinned" brahmin mongrels.

Chinese in diaspora founded/run successful modern countries like Singapore, Taiwan & Hong Kong. What the fuck do the filthy keling scums've to show for other than backwardness, dung eating, cow buggering & other disgusting mentalities befitting a low order parasite?

Name me 1 keling-majority/run country outside india even approaching the economic progress like Malaysia in the 80s or a bona fide developing country? You'll find NONE b/c kelings're nothing more than useless eaters.

taxii_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

Keling = Half-pig, half ape, 100% disgusting.