• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Canadian PR

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
simi responsibility?

If i say good thing you say I not telling the truth. I say bad thing you say I no good.

Aiyah....dunno what you want lah.

But I dont belong to wendypoh's groups so I should say bad things only lah. Say oredi you don't believe?

Wah lau eh....sianz sia....Don't tell me you gonna start saying good things? Why you stop saying bad things?

Hey man, say what you want, like you said, it is a free world and you can say what you want. I totally agree.

But a caveat is that we all have a responsibility of good faith and responsibility towards others, and that includes being sincere. Doctors or doctors-to-be should especially be mindful and aware of that.

Making jokes in a thread that others might rely on to decide on critical decisions that may affect their lives is not consistent with the responsibility as far as I personally interpret it. But yes, that is just my personal interpretation and you can disagree and you are free to think and say as you wish. I am just saying others may view it as bringing your profession into disrepute.

But, again, do and say what you want man. It is on your conscience.

Go ahead.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Hey man, say what you want, like you said, it is a free world and you can say what you want. I totally agree.

But a caveat is that we all have a responsibility of good faith and responsibility towards others, and that includes being sincere. Doctors or doctors-to-be should especially be mindful and aware of that.

Making jokes in a thread that others might rely on to decide on critical decisions that may affect their lives is not consistent with the responsibility as far as I interpret it.

But, again, do and say what you want man. It is on your conscience.

Go ahead.

sorry sorry sorry

Last edited:

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
huh? weren't you the one who said that anyone in his right mind should NOT go to Canada? But should try USA instead?

So now you want people like me to write good things so that some people might go to Canada?

I get it. When I say good thing, then you can refute and say why I am wrong. But if I say bad things you got nothing else to say.

Why you don't correct my exaggerations? Write that it is not as bad as I say it is? (for the matter, my exaggerations are so outrageous if someone actually believed me, then too bad so sad for them).

This is fun lah. Folks if you are out there reading you will see that I am really just tokking nonsense lah. But really if you wanna base your decisions on where to migrate to (which is a mean task) on the basis of how much mobile phone plans cost, salmon costs.....then sorry I have to laugh now......

Carry on. Let's see how far low you can go.

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
oooh.....ouch......sorry man.....

As a doctor I have a duty to do the right thing eh?

Hmm you're a banker isn't it.....and bankers.....oh well.....

Oh and by the way i have achieved what i set out to achieve here. :smile:

Hey man, like I said, please carry on.

As a member of the public, I am interested to see what a doctor or doctor-to-be's views are as to responsibility and candor.

Please carry on.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Apologies to all who are trying to do research as to whether Canada is a good place to migrate to or a bad place.

If you really want my honest opinion and advice you can always send me a private message. Unfortunately, writing on the open forum is just too difficult.

Cheers and good luck to everyone!

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apologies to all who are trying to do research as to whether Canada is a good place to migrate to or a bad place.

If you really want my honest opinion and advice you can always send me a private message. Unfortunately, writing on the open forum is just too difficult.

Nayr69sg,

No worries. I got no issues with you. You are a hero on my book for your efforts and determination in making things work.

And this is not directed at you. But looking at this thread on immigration to Canada which is now past 50 pages, what I honestly think it urgently needs is an honest countervailing perspective. Not saying which side is right or wrong.

Mostly likely than not, it is a matter of preference and opinion.

But the key thing is to present both sides, so that others who may be using the thread as a starting point to explore the option can have at least some beginner's sense of the ins and outs and the ups and downs of immigrating.

The idea is to give them a heads up, presenting both sides, and let them then go research and perform their own due diligence. Perhaps they can then visit the place, and by then, they would have at least some idea of the good and bad things to look out for and have some basis of evaluating the place and then drawing their own conclusion.

That countervailing viewpoint has been missing in this thread, and maybe it is time (although we disagree and may each have different opinions and preferences) for us to acknowledge that maybe presenting both sides of the full picture honestly and sincerely may help prevent future harm to others who may have been given an one-sided view too often.

That is what I have been honestly trying to do, but regrettably, I have been subjected to personal attacks, being implied by another to be someone working for the status quo in Singapore. I have never worked for any government, nor am I a supporter of any political regime or party. And in addition, I was falsely accused of stating wrong information about you.

Some may not realize this, or may be offended by countervailing posts presenting the other perspective on the matter, but that not withstanding, people who make the effort to present such countervailing posts may actually be doing them a favour by letting them know the full picture upfront, so that they can do their own checks and know the true cost going in.

Immigrating is likely one of the biggest decisions that one can make in life, so full disclosure and full information and candor and honesty are rarely a bad thing. In the end, it is the prerogative of the individual to decide which perspectives to believe and to do his or her own research.

In my personal opinion, such personal attacks detract from the purpose of the thread. My sincere and honest aim is to present a counter balance, so that others can know what to look out for, do their own research, and then make informed choices for themselves.

And my honest sincere upfront view on the matter is that it is not all bad, although there are many bads that people often do not realize until after sometime subsequent to their arrival (by then, too much money and time have been put in for them to undo the choice.) I honestly can see the option working out to be a success story in a very big way. For example, if one takes advantage of the current SG property market and sells a condo or landed property for a big sum, and then move to Canada for retirement or semi retirement. But beyond this limited scenario, I honestly think the option is much harder than what the majority of the people considering it really understand. So, it may be helpful to give them a more realistic picture and look at other options or simply stay put.

Again, I got no issues with you, so no worries. Good luck and all the best.

Last edited:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi Nayr69sg. I've refrained from giving advice to other on emigration. Myself having done so, and I've met many others both in Canada and Singapore who have done so or are considering. I think the reasons are many. Each person has their own ideals and objective it is not possible to find a common reason shared by everyone. Many Singaporeans (and Hong Kongers) have better jobs and careers whilst back in their place of birth because they've built up a wider range of contact, from primary school days right up to NS, and have made their living through these contacts. Disrupting this mdway through their life is a tough choice. Also, Singapore is open to creating opportunities and many possibilities are open, in Canada - many foreigners are faced with this "Canadian Experience" bullshit. Even those with US degrees have difficulty getting into their chosen fields. At this point in my life, I see emigration only as necessary if one lived in a place where they're persecuted or discriminated, and Singapore isn't at all in that position. And besides, this forum is open to all kinds of jokers. Anyways, good luck to you.

Cheers!

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Again, I got no issues with you. Good luck and all the best.

Thanks. Anyway I feel I have over stayed my welcome here at this thread.

It is time to say goodbye to the emigration thread as well. Time to move on. Cheers to everyone. And I wish to say a special thank you to all those out there who gave me sincere advice when I asked for it back in 2003. THANK YOU.

Goodbye.

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
Here're the Personal Income Tax Rates for 2012 in Ontario.

image-2015969467.jpg

Statistics Canada:

Tables by subject: Household, family and personal income
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/ind01/l3_3868_2812-eng.htm?hili_famil108

Average hourly wages of employees by selected characteristics and profession, unadjusted data, by province (monthly) (Ontario)
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/labr69g-eng.htm

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If it were only so simple and easy.....

But go on, think what you may.....much of it is wishful thinking on your part. It is well within your prerogative to think things are so easy and simple.

Oh, a correction though, the timeline is only 3 years instead of 5 years.

Back when I was considering settling in Canada you had to be a PR for 5 years before you could apply for citizenship. Whether it is 3 years or 5 years does it really make a difference:confused: Maybe for Singaporeans who may want to renounce their Sporean citizenship ASAP to get their CPF. However For other nationalities the waiting is not an issue whether it's 3 or 5 years. In fact some PR's will never renounce their foreign citizenship e.g. americans, germans, Brits,...

Why do you say that is just wishful thinking on my part:confused: I've got many friends & relatives who have made the move to Canada, Australia, US & they seem to be happy. Some of them didn't even have a degree or "local" work experience:smile:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks. Anyway I feel I have over stayed my welcome here at this thread.

It is time to say goodbye to the emigration thread as well. Time to move on. Cheers to everyone. And I wish to say a special thank you to all those out there who gave me sincere advice when I asked for it back in 2003. THANK YOU.

Goodbye.

Everyone is free to post their opinions in this forum . It's not only limited to the PAP internet brigade:biggrin:

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Back when I was considering settling in Canada you had to be a PR for 5 years before you could apply for citizenship. Whether it is 3 years or 5 years does it really make a difference:confused: Maybe for Singaporeans who may want to renounce their Sporean citizenship ASAP to get their CPF. However For other nationalities the waiting is not an issue whether it's 3 or 5 years. In fact some PR's will never renounce their foreign citizenship e.g. americans, germans, Brits,...

Why do you say that is just wishful thinking on my part:confused: I've got many friends & relatives who have made the move to Canada, Australia, US & they seem to be happy. Some of them didn't even have a degree or "local" work experience:smile:

I don't understand the persistent inability to acknowledge the truth, so let me try again to set the record straight.

Whether it is now 3 years or 5 years is a factual matter.

I quote directly from the Canadian Government's website on the matter at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

Look it up yourself and do your own research and fact-finding before trying to continue and argue.

"To become Canadian citizens, adults must have resided in Canada for at least three years (1,095 days) in the past four years before applying."

What is so complicated about this? It says 3 years. NOT 5 years. Is this clear enough for you or not? Or do you still want to argue?

And you ask why does it matter whether it is 3 years or 5 years since you think there is no difference. If you can say that there is really no difference between 3 years and 5 years, then that is your personal opinion. Maybe your sense of time is warped to the extent that a difference of 2 years over 3 years (a 66% lengthier time) is okay for you. But for others, it may make a big difference. There are people who want to get Canadian citizenship ASAP so that they can move out to the US under the TN option, or so that they can move back to their country of origin (whether with dual citizenship or single Canadian citizenship) because there are not many jobs.

For you to continue to argue when another has shown you the true fact is just plain wrong. If you do not know right from wrong, fact from fiction, up from down, then you should just keep your delusion to yourself and not give out wrong information. This is a factual matter, and not a matter of opinion where people can differ. If you wish to try to argue based on incorrect or outdated facts, I can tell you now, don't even bother trying, because I will keep correcting you.

And if you wish to continue arguing with me, you better come prepared. Because I am determined to set this thread straight and I will knock your arguments down hard if you think you can bend or warp the thread.

On the matter of people you know who (some without degrees or local work experience ) made the move to US, Canada and Australia and who are happy, good for them. I am not surprised that they can be happy. On the issue of Canada specifically (not the US/AU) though, not having a degree or advanced specialization can actually help since blue-collar type immigrants may have an easier time settling in. It all depends on the person.

Last edited:

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
Everyone is free to post their opinions in this forum . It's not only limited to the PAP internet brigade:biggrin:

I refer you to the post above.

I think the facts speak for themselves.

Again, next time you try to argue facts, make sure you get your facts straight and come prepared.

Last edited:

indig10

Alfrescian
Loyal
When taken at face value as claimed, the Janus face turns to reveal a sad portrait of a bitter person whose online persona exhibits such viral obsession to win every and any argument, epitomising the exact opposites of grace and maturity.

Time2Evacuate

Alfrescian
Loyal
When taken at face value as claimed, the Janus face turns to reveal a sad portrait of a bitter person whose online persona exhibits such viral obsession to win every and any argument, epitomising the exact opposites of grace and maturity.

If you got something to say, come out and say it.

No need to hide behind the twists and turns.

Be a man.

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But the key thing is to present both sides, so that others who may be using the thread as a starting point to explore the option can have at least some beginner's sense of the ins and outs and the ups and downs of immigrating.

The beef I have with you is that tell lies, eg. giving distorted prices of food (and you still don't know why chicken breast cost more here and why dark meat is cheaper here than in sinkapore), citing ridiculous rate for cell phone bills.

The idea is to give them a heads up, presenting both sides, and let them then go research and perform their own due diligence. Perhaps they can then visit the place, and by then, they would have at least some idea of the good and bad things to look out for and have some basis of evaluating the place and then drawing their own conclusion.

Then why did you distort the picture? I have no problem with you expressing your experience with discrimination; that's an opinion. When you mislead on facts, I take issue with that.

That is what I have been honestly trying to do, but regrettably, I have been subjected to personal attacks, being implied by another to be someone working for the status quo in Singapore. I have never worked for any government, nor am I a supporter of any political regime or party. And in addition, I was falsely accused of stating wrong information about you.

Honestly trying to do? You failed on that count.