• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Help me on Facebook

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
you're very close to being rumbled….facebook owns whatsapp…so they know about all the saucy conversations you're having….consequently
these thai ladies are being recommended….FB knows who these ladies friends are too…so even their names will appear….FB also accesses
your personal email contacts, your phone contacts etc.

I swear I see this message every time I start a new conversation

6V1nmIW.jpg

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You fucking jerk! You cheating on your wife? You should be faithful to her.

You asshole since when I cheated on wife? These "friend suggestions" appeared automatically what can I do?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I don't do such so I'm safe

even if you don't do anything fishy with an fb account, others can track your life by data mining the heck out of you, especially locations you've been to, stuff or food you've ordered, pics you post, your daily routine, transport routes, how much time you spend at each location and what you do with every app. in other words, your passiveness or doing nothing can also mean something to these data mining apps that use legit data from fb. they intrude upon your life. it's not just fb that is data-mining you. the hacking community with their legit apps are too.

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2013/10/21/facebook-data-mining-tool-uncovers-your-life/

Facebook data mining tool uncovers your life
(Author: Mirko Zorz)

You know you shouldn’t post potentially damaging data on Facebook, but more often that not, your friends don’t think twice about it, and this can impact you even more than you think. At the Hack In The Box conference in Kuala Lumpur, security consultants Keith Lee and Jonathan Werrett from SpiderLabs revealed how a simple tool can enable anyone to find a comprehensive amount of data on any user.

To get the information, they created the aptly named FBStalker. This tool reverse-engineers the Facebook Graph and can find information on almost anyone. You don’t have to be a friend with someone on the network – the only thing that FBStalker needs to work is for parts of your posts to be marked as public. The tool will find things based on photos you’ve been tagged in, the comments you’ve put on other people’s posts, the things that you like, etc.

If you are tagged in a photo, we can assume you know the people you’re in the photo with. If you comment on a post, FBStalker knows there’s an association. Most people have an open friends list and this gives the tool a variety of people to target for more information. By looking at their posts and your interactions with them, it’s possible to understand how some of those people are important in your life.

Even though many users don’t use the Check-In function, it’s still possible to determine their favorite places to hang-out based on the tagged photos and posts from their friends. Just imagine the level of detail you can achieve and how that can help you if you want to mount a targeted social engineering attack against the user.

The first thing that came to mind when I learned about this tool was to ask if it’s a violation of Facebook’s terms of service. Werrett was expecting the question, he says with a smile: “The tool is basically automating what the user can do in the browser. We’re not using any APIs or unofficial ways of interacting with the interface. We’re using Graph Search to build-up this profile.”

FBStalker goes also a step further and provides private information about the targeted user that might not be obvious to others. It allows you to analyze the time when the person is online and, with time you are able to guess their sleep patterns and active hours.

This type of tool works well if you haven’t locked down your profile, but it can still work even if you have, provided that your friends haven’t locked down their profiles. You know the old saying – the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. With Facebook’s recent announcement that they are removing a privacy feature and that every user is going to be discoverable by name, things are getting increasingly harder to hide.

Even if your account is locked down, you can’t mark your profile picture as private. Once you change it and people like the picture, the attacker can start building a view of your friends list.

What can you do to protect yourself? The authors have a few suggestions: turn off location tracking and tighten your Facebook privacy settings. However, with the social networking giant increasingly removing privacy options, you may have trouble staying hidden.

as a note to the last paragraph of the article, if you're using an android device, even if you opt out of location tracking, google play service apps will turn it back on the next nanosecond. you literally don't have the option of turning off location finding as when you use an android device you sign your life away in the fine print of the android os user agreement. with ios, almost all apps require location now thus you don't have much of a choice. but your opt-out is honored, unlike android.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
even if you don't do anything fishy with an fb account, others can track your life by data mining the heck out of you, especially locations you've been to, stuff or food you've ordered, pics you post, your daily routine, transport routes, how much time you spend at each location and what you do with every app. in other words, your passiveness or doing nothing can also mean something to these data mining apps that use legit data from fb. they intrude upon your life. it's not just fb that is data-mining you. the hacking community with their legit apps are too.

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2013/10/21/facebook-data-mining-tool-uncovers-your-life/

Facebook data mining tool uncovers your life
(Author: Mirko Zorz)

You know you shouldn’t post potentially damaging data on Facebook, but more often that not, your friends don’t think twice about it, and this can impact you even more than you think. At the Hack In The Box conference in Kuala Lumpur, security consultants Keith Lee and Jonathan Werrett from SpiderLabs revealed how a simple tool can enable anyone to find a comprehensive amount of data on any user.

To get the information, they created the aptly named FBStalker. This tool reverse-engineers the Facebook Graph and can find information on almost anyone. You don’t have to be a friend with someone on the network – the only thing that FBStalker needs to work is for parts of your posts to be marked as public. The tool will find things based on photos you’ve been tagged in, the comments you’ve put on other people’s posts, the things that you like, etc.

If you are tagged in a photo, we can assume you know the people you’re in the photo with. If you comment on a post, FBStalker knows there’s an association. Most people have an open friends list and this gives the tool a variety of people to target for more information. By looking at their posts and your interactions with them, it’s possible to understand how some of those people are important in your life.

Even though many users don’t use the Check-In function, it’s still possible to determine their favorite places to hang-out based on the tagged photos and posts from their friends. Just imagine the level of detail you can achieve and how that can help you if you want to mount a targeted social engineering attack against the user.

The first thing that came to mind when I learned about this tool was to ask if it’s a violation of Facebook’s terms of service. Werrett was expecting the question, he says with a smile: “The tool is basically automating what the user can do in the browser. We’re not using any APIs or unofficial ways of interacting with the interface. We’re using Graph Search to build-up this profile.”

FBStalker goes also a step further and provides private information about the targeted user that might not be obvious to others. It allows you to analyze the time when the person is online and, with time you are able to guess their sleep patterns and active hours.

This type of tool works well if you haven’t locked down your profile, but it can still work even if you have, provided that your friends haven’t locked down their profiles. You know the old saying – the chain is only as strong as its weakest link. With Facebook’s recent announcement that they are removing a privacy feature and that every user is going to be discoverable by name, things are getting increasingly harder to hide.

Even if your account is locked down, you can’t mark your profile picture as private. Once you change it and people like the picture, the attacker can start building a view of your friends list.

What can you do to protect yourself? The authors have a few suggestions: turn off location tracking and tighten your Facebook privacy settings. However, with the social networking giant increasingly removing privacy options, you may have trouble staying hidden.

as a note to the last paragraph of the article, if you're using an android device, even if you opt out of location tracking, google play service apps will turn it back on the next nanosecond. you literally don't have the option of turning off location finding as when you use an android device you sign your life away in the fine print of the android os user agreement. with ios, almost all apps require location now thus you don't have much of a choice. but your opt-out is honored, unlike android.

Thanks for the informative article, so its not just my security setting, its also the security of those linked to me. This is so evil.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the informative article, so its not just my security setting, its also the security of those linked to me. This is so evil.

to exploit the weakest link in your group of "friends" some new moniker posing as a friend can "befriend" an fb friend of yours and open up or lower hisher security/privacy settings to have a field day with everyone in the group.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
to exploit the weakest link in your group of "friends" some new moniker posing as a friend can "befriend" an fb friend of yours and open up or lower hisher security/privacy settings to have a field day with everyone in the group.

Ok ok ok ok delete account NAO!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You are a very easy to convince person.

Mind if I chat with you about life insurance?

Too late I'm afraid, I'm a firm believer of life insurance so earlier in life I've already bought many policies and now paying high premiums annually.

nirvarq

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
There's an option under settings to disable friends invitation or friends invite.