• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Funan & why is it gone

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
There was a big rooaster in Funan too facing the street. The fast food chain didn't last long in Sg.
Yes Defunct local Corona chicken was at the food court above but I dun think they started out there. The food court had famous Hock Lam street beef noodles too which shifted from the street. Funan is actually mandarin for hock lam which the mall stood on.
The food court later shifted to the basement which later because the KFC/taco bell/Pizza Hut

I remember that at the old Funan Centre before it was reincarnated as Funan Digital Centre, there used to be a food court at the top floor.

There was a beef ball noodle stall which was relocated from Hock Lam Street. I can't recall the name of the stall but it was run by siblings of a Hainanese family. After the old Funan Centre was demolished, it did not reopen at the Funan Digital Centre.

Any one in this forum knows where it has gone to?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I remember that at the old Funan Centre before it was reincarnated as Funan Digital Centre, there used to be a food court at the top floor.

There was a beef ball noodle stall which was relocated from Hock Lam Street. I can't recall the name of the stall but it was run by siblings of a Hainanese family. After the old Funan Centre was demolished, it did not reopen at the Funan Digital Centre.

They are at china square and Alexandra retail center.
Apparently they're history over 100 years.
Many beef noodles went out of business during the mad cow scare era......pity as I had a Favourite one at old Bugis street

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The Beef Ball Noodle from Hock Lam Street, I think after the 1st Funan Centre was opened, late became a franchise, they sprouted branches all over Singapore, there was one near me, but it had since closed down, muscled out by some China Food Joint owned by PRC. Anyway, the quality of the beef & the noodle plus the soup & gravies, went down the drain. All the ingredients are prepared at the factory before bringing them to the shop, for they will be thawed & the soup & gravies reheated...just don't taste that good.

There is good Beef Ball Noodle at Amoy Street Food Centre...have not been there after the raw fish ( Yu Sang) incident...

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
think funan was demolished late last year. business was very slow and poor there for a long time. retail is dying in sg. the other electronic mall sim lim square is dying a slow and painful death. everyone buys online nowadays ?

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
think funan was demolished late last year. business was very slow and poor there for a long time. retail is dying in sg. the other electronic mall sim lim square is dying a slow and painful death. everyone buys online nowadays ?

Go to all the new Malls practically ghost towns. And many with empty units yet to be rented out.
Death knell sounds.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Almost everyone knows brick & mortar biznesses are in trouble.

What surprised me was that they demolished Funan & plan to build another mall in it's place. It would have been cheaper to leave Funan alone & reduce the rent to attract new tenants. However reducing rents is not the PAP way.

They will keep on building costly new structures & charge high rentals to justify their high salaries.

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are at china square and Alexandra retail center.
Apparently they're history over 100 years.
Many beef noodles went out of business during the mad cow scare era......pity as I had a Favourite one at old Bugis street

Thanks but no, that's not the one I am looking for.

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
Under pinky everything gone. Even fu nan 福南 the fu福 is not hock but 受难.

Gone leow. Go apply Chinese Card standby leaving, Singapore will suffer more under pap.

Come to Foshan, Guanzhou. The braised beef noodle is out of this world ...

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Under pinky everything gone. Even fu nan 福南 the fu福 is not hock but 受难.

The pinky is good at demolishing everything in Singapore belonging to Singaporeans, including the cemeteries, except 38 Oxley which is dear to him.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Come to Foshan, Guanzhou. The braised beef noodle is out of this world ...

the best beef noodle i ever have is found of all places not in thailand, nor vietnam, nor sg, nor ml, nor china, but in a small town in nj called raritan. golden wok is the name, and the spicy beef noodles made with american mad cow is the best in the world. the soup is a thick broth cooked overnight with beef and bones, not the clear soup you find in sg, vietnam and southern china. :p

IMG_0148.JPG

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surprised that no one has asked about what ever happened to Merlin restaurant because the wanton Mee was good :smile:.

In those days there were so many good wanton Mee places around e.g. around Peoples's Park, Hock Lam Street(hill street food centre), in front of the National Library, Peace Mansion, ...etc & these were only the places I was familiar with.

Nowadays the hawker food is expensive & the taste is mediocre at best :(

The PAP is responsible for so much damage to Spore. The relentless renovation of China town, Orchard Road, Katong, .... everywhere has cost Sporeans their heritage. I was happy when the population of Spore was only 3+ million.

Now things are breaking down all around Spore & we old timers can only look back to the good old days :o

old school wanton mee is long replaced by ben zhen wanton mee franchies

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you go to neibourhood seragoon Nex or tampines mall.where is the ghost town?
everybody is busy queuing up or for din tai feng , ramen etc

Maybe not NEX or Jurong Point but many of the smaller and newer ones like space@kovan, le regal at Geylang, Kallang Wave, 1km just to name a few....
And it's only the F & B outlets.....a lot crowd but hardly anyone is shopping.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Maybe not NEX or Jurong Point but many of the smaller and newer ones like space@kovan, le regal at Geylang, Kallang Wave, 1km just to name a few....
And it's only the F & B outlets.....a lot crowd but hardly anyone is shopping.

Have you stepped into those, mini-malls that is built together with residences?...There was one ( won't mention name), a mini unheard of supermarket is at the basement (small)....shops selling confectionery like Macarons & others, there are some eateries, but small ones..unless it is a branch of....most of them, attract no human traffic. I counted 10 Saloons, 2 clinics , one dental clinic, 2 spectacle shops, 4 nail bars, 1 maid agency...1 LICENSED MONEY LENDER...

The place is as dead as a dodo bird..saw the sign of renting a unit...( forgot the sq feet)...it was $4,200. There is no human traffic, nothing to attract anyone who goes there..how on earth are they going to make money with the rental at about $4,200 plus management fees??

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you go to neibourhood seragoon Nex or tampines mall.where is the ghost town?
everybody is busy queuing up or for din tai feng , ramen etc

NEX can get very crowded.

It is probably because of it's strategic location. It is connected by 2 MRT routes, the NE and circle line. There is also a bus terminal there. So for people living in that area, they will have to pass through that place.

There are also not many other places where you can shop for groceries, visit the library, the cinema, get something to eat, ... etc